• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Renekton

Well James needs Mike to fill out Cinemassacre content while he pursues his personal passion projects. Like how Mike kept the lights on when James was off making that movie.

Well James needs Mike to fill out Cinemassacre content while he pursues his personal passion projects. Like how Mike kept the lights on when James was off making that movie.

Yeah, as much as people rag on Mike, he's actually done James a pretty good favor. He runs most of the backend and keeps the channel with regular content (which is actually pretty important for youtube metrics), and he didn't even want to be on camera at first but did so to help out when the channel was dead while James was filming the movie. Most of his videos get between 100k-200k views, which I'm sure helps with the backend. If it was just James, the channel would be updated like twice a month if that. Not to mention that Mike helps with filming, editing, and planning any video that has anything to do with video games. There literally wouldn't be an AVGN without Mike.

I agree that he's abrasive and not always easy to watch, but he deserves some props for all the work he's put in to cinemassacre. He did a 2 hour podcast with Pat the NES Punk recently and I thought he was pretty well spoken there. He has his good points, but he's also got some real issues that he needs to work out.

Jombie

I appreciate what he does and without getting much credit, but I haven't watched a single video with just him. I've always found him obnoxious and on-the-nose.

KalBalboa

Banned
So, fun news.

James and I just finished up scheduling and it looks like he'll be popping up in my documentary Not For Resale.

The feature-length film is centered on the potential final days of physical media during the digital distribution transition. Of course, it's centered on local video game shops. We're going to be talking to James in July for the movie.

His videos feel like just going through the motion these days

While before you could feel he had played these games and had passion for playing, trying to beat them etc

Now it's like, let's play new game and pretend to be angry to it. New videos just aren't the same for me.

shanafan

So, fun news.

James and I just finished up scheduling and it looks like he'll be popping up in my documentary Not For Resale.

The feature-length film is centered on the potential final days of physical media during the digital distribution transition. Of course, it's centered on local video game shops. We're going to be talking to James in July for the movie.

Awesome!

Your avatar made me think of this from Last Action Hero, lol.

0154.jpg

thefro

I'd like to believe that was just some dumb shit from a decade and half ago and he's a different person now.

This is more bad shock humor than anything and throwing in some N-words and racist characters along with "fuck/shit" etc.

Dude was in his early 20s when he drew these.

I went through a phase in college where I thought this stuff was so offensive that it was kinda funny in the same way cussing like a sailor was funny.

"Those comics reflect myself a decade ago, I've matured past them and greatly apologize for having created them"

I feel the statue of limitations ran out on this being a thing awhile ago.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
"Those comics reflect myself a decade ago, I've matured past them and greatly apologize for having created them"

o7hGhN1.png

Those comics were hateful and disgusting. It's no wonder Cinemassacre has invited pro-Gamergaters on their videos.

grim-tales

This is more bad shock humor than anything and throwing in some N-words and racist characters along with "fuck/shit" etc.

Dude was in his early 20s when he drew these.

I went through a phase in college where I thought this stuff was so offensive that it was kinda funny in the same way cussing like a sailor was funny.

Oh man, I never thought Mike would do racist stuff, even if he did it when he was younger (that doesn't excuse racism).
First JonTron and now this :/

bjork

I think if you're young and live in a fairly isolated bubble around like-minded people, it's easy to think stuff like that is funny or has a place at all. Some people don't change their world view until they get out there and actually see some of it for themselves, which is going to be different for everyone.

Doesn't excuse it or make it okay, mind you. But I can see how it can happen.

Lothar

Banned
Since he posted tubgirl in that comic, I think he just wanted to be as shocking and offensive as possible. Still stupid of course. Bad Mike from 13 years ago.

Kudo

I think if you're young and live in a fairly isolated bubble around like-minded people, it's easy to think stuff like that is funny or has a place at all. Some people don't change their world view until they get out there and actually see some of it for themselves, which is going to be different for everyone.

Yeah, feeling like this too. We've seen lot of examples about this lately.

grim-tales

Where is Mike's post from (giving the context?)
At least he's apologised for them, and sounds like he's a different person now (though I didnt even know about them until they were uncovered on this thread).

maharg

idspispopd

Are you saying this is something he could/should say or something he did? I suspect the former.

Which is why if he came out and condemned it, I'd give him another chance, but if not... ugh.

Lothar

Banned
Mike did apologize for the other stuff a day ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacre/comments/6e5hmg/comment/diazpue
TheCinemassacre• 1d
Chase, please don't name call. Forum guidelines are to be friendly. I'm not tossing out a ban for it, because that's exactly what I've done too much of. And I do want to say that I am sorry for all the bans. I have often gone overboard with it for sure. It took me a while to come to terms with the Minecraft video. And if people want to make parodies, I shouldn't have a problem and be removing them. I see that now. Overall, I want to apologize for any action I’ve done while on this board that’s upset anyone in general, I never meant to. I’m a human and make mistakes like we all do. I also want to apologize to the moderators who were removed, with the exception of the few who were leaking mod-mail. It was not my intention to offend any of the mods who helped out for a long time, I just needed to do something about it, because that isn’t right. I’m obviously not the best at using Reddit, and hope to eventually just step away from here as some have suggested. I would probably be better off using my time to concentrate on editing anyhow. -Mike

He may not see the newer stuff if he took a break from Reddit.

grim-tales

So he hasnt condemned what he did with the comic? I'm confused, I thought Bass was posting Mike's words :s

Wish I hadnt come across it here, I didnt even know they were a thing :(
I dont know how he feels about them, hopefully he knows it was wrong and silly.

ErbilT

Just saw the comics.... that's some pretty inexcusable shit. He was obviously old enough to know better 10-15 years ago, and mix this with all of the Gamergaters on the show and the weird Ghostbusters drama last year, I'm pretty sure that these are not just one-off issues that can be corrected.

Dude.
I knew if anyone in the crew was going to be exposed as a shithead, it was going to be Mike. I never had a problem with him previously, but the comics and all the other crap going on in the sub-reddit are pretty damning.

He needs to get his shit together or completely remove himself from Cinemassacre as a whole, which I don't think he'll ever do. I get that Mike and James have been friends for a long time, and you tend to tolerate your friends a bit more than anyone else, but a lot of this stuff puts James and the company in a bad light.

Just give me James and Bootsy.

grim-tales

Just saw the comics.... that's some pretty inexcusable shit. He was obviously old enough to know better 10-15 years ago, and mix this with all of the Gamergaters on the show and the weird Ghostbusters drama last year, I'm pretty sure that these are not just one-off issues that can be corrected.

In a recent Star Trek video he did with Ryan, he kept doing silly impressions of Anton Yelchin and making fun of George Takei which wasn't funny imo.

shanafan

In a recent Star Trek video he did with Ryan, he kept doing silly impressions of Anton Yelchin and making fun of George Takei which wasn't funny imo.

Agreed, especially the Yelchin impressions. They are aware he suffered a tragic death last year, right?

That Mike story is some of the lowest quality gaming drama I've seen. Embarrassing stuff.

edit: I was talking about the dick pic. The racist comics are another level of vile wtf.

grim-tales

I hope Mike sees those, apologises and is a better person now. I'd never heard him say really racist stuff when he was with Cinemassacre, I liked him.

Was JonTron the tip of the iceberg? He's been on their show a few times too (though this was before his infamy).

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I hope Mike sees those, apologises and is a better person now. I'd never heard him say really racist stuff when he was with Cinemassacre, I liked him.

Was JonTron the tip of the iceberg? He's been on their show a few times too (though this was before his infamy).

Alpha Omega Sin has been in their videos too.

Are you saying this is something he could/should say or something he did? I suspect the former.

The former

Mike made a mistake over a decade ago, assuming he still thinks this way or that james shares/shared a similar mindset is making a MASSIVE assumption. My quote is really all Mike has to say to apologize for it, maybe volunteer to donate to some organization that helps to deal with racial issues. The fact that none of that kind of humor has appeared in official cinemassacre content in the 9-10 years they've been a website should tell you all we need to know.

Lets just say for the sake of the argument Mike does actually still think this way but outside of that old comic he's not said or created anything public in 12-13 years along those lines. What exactly should he be held responsible for? If he's not acting upon his misguided racial views and apologizes for making the comic when he was younger should he be fired for ideology nobody can actually prove he still believes in? If you're trying to write a narrative that Mike is actually some massive sexist/racist person you can take tons of arbitary actions he's done over the years and stick those square pegs into a pattern of round holes to reach whatever conclusion you want.

Comparing Mike to Jontron at this point is jumping the gun. If Mike appears on some mra or gg podcast, or makes a white supremacists video on cinemassacre and James supports or takes part in it then we can reevaluate. As it stands all mike is guilty of was making terrible racist jokes a decade + ago and in the past few years being an unlikeable asshole with shitty behavior. If the latter is enough to get Mike kicked off of cinemassacre then 90% of the internet should be banned.

grim-tales

Top Bottom