• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I generally prefer episodes of avgn where he gets to the end of the game. Even if its one of those impossible hard games like terminator on nes I'd rather see him use game geine to try and see the rest of the game other then rage quit on stage 1.
Agreed. I think that's why the Sonic 06 review just felt rather lackluster to me. Granted, at this point, it's hard to find anything new to say about it due to its infamy, but he barely scratched the surface of why it was bad. Plus it feels more "complete" when we see the ending or at least the final boss, like he actually took the time to play the game & fully understands why it was bad instead of just one level or two & going "alright, that's enough to complain about." Not to mention there can be humor from a game having a lackluster ending after all the shit the player had to go through (like with Predator on NES).

Hell, I just realized, he never even brought up the fact you can play as Shadow or Silver, both of which had their own set of complaints he could've easily brought up like the physics for tossing items as Silver or driving cars as Shadow. Not even that infamous boss battle as Silver where the player can get glitched & be stuck in an infinite loop of taking damage and getting a ring back.

Not saying the review was bad per say, but just a bit disappointing when I saw another reviewer (Completionist) go into such detail about each campaign & why it was bad and the disappointment that there's no reward for 100%ing the game.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Its been a long while since Ive really enjoyed any of the AVGN videos really, and i dont really know why. I used to really love them back when he did those more famous, bad games for the Nes, and some of the reviews like Plumbers, Superman 64 and the Christmas Carol-episode (with Shaq Fu and the Wii) are just incredible, as is the slightly newer Ninja Gaiden review. But in general. i feel like i am just over it. There are just so many times you can do this stuff and still be funny, at least for me. So not really his fault imo - just the idea getting exhausted.

KalBalboa

Banned
]

Here's a clip from my interview with James for my documentary Not For Resale, for anyone interested. This just went up today.

We talked about tangible ownership, why people are drifting away from local retail, and, of course, retro games.

shanafan

]

Here's a clip from my interview with James for my documentary Not For Resale, for anyone interested. This just went up today.

We talked about tangible ownership, why people are drifting away from local retail, and, of course, retro games.

Saw the quick clip on the Twitter. I like your cinematography, especially the ground shot from the store floor ;)

As far as what James says.. him and I are of the same age, and honesty, I am beginning more and more to embrace a digital future. I have gone full digital on my Switch and with digital on PC, just switching between games with ease is a beautiful thing.

I look at my movie collection, and my thought is "When have I even watched these movies I bought? Maybe once? Maybe?" I think as the digital world evolves, all the old stuff will become more and more readily available. James mentions Disney, and I think Disney will be more onboard as digital media becomes more of a thing.

Does James still buy new CDs? That would be a good question ;)

KalBalboa

Banned
Saw the quick clip on the Twitter. I like your cinematography, especially the ground shot from the store floor ;)

As far as what James says.. him and I are of the same age, and honesty, I am beginning more and more to embrace a digital future. I have gone full digital on my Switch and with digital on PC, just switching between games with ease is a beautiful thing.

I look at my movie collection, and my thought is "When have I even watched these movies I bought? Maybe once? Maybe?" I think as the digital world evolves, all the old stuff will become more and more readily available. James mentions Disney, and I think Disney will be more onboard as digital media becomes more of a thing.

Hah, funny enough we actually have a few minutes on James's transition to digital music. Vinyl, to him, is now a collector's item. Listening to CDs in the car is not only silly in 2017 but kind of dangerous. He's almost entire digital with his music purchases.

I went back and forth a lot on what material to cram into this little clip. In a nut shell, I wanted people to see the scope of the movie beyond just retro gaming.

shanafan

Hah, funny enough we actually have a few minutes on James's transition to digital music. Vinyl, to him, is now a collector's item. Listening to CDs in the car is not only silly in 2017 but kind of dangerous. He's almost entire digital with his music purchases.

I went back and forth a lot on what material to cram into this little clip. In a nut shell, I wanted people to see the scope of the movie beyond just retro gaming.

I think you nailed what the idea behind your doc is with this clip, and I like how James mentioned needing only electricity. Nice final touch on the clip.

KalBalboa

Banned
I think you nailed what the idea behind your doc is with this clip, and I like how James mentioned needing only electricity. Nice final touch on the clip.

Thanks! He made the interview a breeze. He took fifteen minutes with me both shooting to discuss the tone of the doc and figure out my ideal audience.

Dereck

I understand that the channel name is Cinemassacre and not James Rolfe so not every video is gonna have him in it, but when I look at the sub box and see a video like "we talk about the Sega Genesis or whatever", and I'm thinking, James probably isn't in this video, and he isn't, I can't help but be a bit disappointed but I'm completely at fault here.

grim-tales

I've been watching more movies lately, but I also can look at my collection and I feel like James in the AVGN episode where he says something like "I have a LOT of NES games. Look at all these fucking games. So many choices. Which one should I play?"

Please tell me he apes this.

fecc1d5569f06104811e65f7629f55fe--gameboy-old-school.jpg

I was glad he had the clusterfuck magnifying glass/light/speaker/analog stick thing but then he whipped out the even bigger one and I had never seen it before. What the hell is that

dickroach

"Game Gear never did anything l--- oh, nevermind"
decent episode

I'd never seen the OG GB Game Genie
I had a Gameshark for the Pocket/Color and it was wayyy less ridiculous
gb_gameshark_pro_30.jpg

I also had one of those magnifiers+lights, one of those speaker add ons for the bottom (that I think had a built in rumble also?), and a camera+printer

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You can rotate the camera on the Game Boy Camera....though to be fair, it too me a while to figure this out as a kid.

I have the printer as well, though no paper & no idea about the cable.

OMG AT THE SHOES & HIS REACTION AT THE END.

Good episode, so much better than the Genesis one & on par with the NES one.

L.O.R.D

"Game Gear never did anything l--- oh, nevermind"
decent episode

I'd never seen the OG GB Game Genie
I had a Gameshark for the Pocket/Color and it was wayyy less ridiculous
gb_gameshark_pro_30.jpg

I also had one of those magnifiers+lights, one of those speaker add ons for the bottom (that I think had a built in rumble also?), and a camera+printer

i've had the action replay max for GBA,and i think it worked for DS games as well,however i don't know if it was working for DS because i never had a DS back then.

rare-action-replay-max-gba-ds-game-boy-advance-cheat-code-enhancement-tested-bab7a01609ce484436fd690214fcaa8b.jpg

rare-action-replay-max-gba-ds-game-boy-advance-cheat-code-enhancement-tested-0bb42ab470ffa02140198b5cc43c2de7.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd dig an episode that focused on accessories for a company's line of systems, like do one that combines the Game Gear, Saturn, & Dreamcast, while another could be on Super Nintendo, N64, Gamecube, & maybe Wii since he could reuse one of my favorite lines from the NES episode: "IT'S A PIECE OF FUCKING PLASTIC!" I'm sure the Wii itself could cover an entire episode, but I don't know about the others since I would assume there wasn't as much as the NES or Game Boy era.

Kind of wish he threw in some GBA accessories since he could've talked about the Glucoboy to go along with the final item he talked about due to being another medical-related accessory.

grim-tales

Yeah there were some Wii accessories too I'm sure. Wasn't there a giant bowling ball you put the Wii remote in, and stuff like that? What was the point, in the bowling game in Wii Sports you swing it like a ball anyway :/

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Or those pieces of plastic you would put on your Wiimote to make it look more like a golf club or tennis racket when it literally did nothing. Wii seriously brought back a ton of accessories for the thing.

Of course, there's the Babysitting Mama baby that would make for some great laughs.

Part of me wishes he could do one for Xbox stuff like the Steel Battalion controller or that silly Kinect Adventures raft, but I can't see that happening.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Did he really not know the camera could rotate? How did he expect people to take photos of other things? Did he really never see or use a GameBoy Camera before? He acted like it was genuinely brand new to him. Surely he knew it could rotate.

shanafan

Did he really not know the camera could rotate? How did he expect people to take photos of other things? Did he really never see or use a GameBoy Camera before? He acted like it was genuinely brand new to him. Surely he knew it could rotate.

The naiveness of the AVGN personality is part of the schtick sometimes.

Davey Cakes

I still have my Gameboy Camera, some game link cables, and a few of the GBA's "magnifying glasses" and "worm lights." Most of the time the accessories were kind of junk, IMO.

Honestly, my brother and I had a TON of fun with the Gameboy Camera. It was a pretty novel experience for us at the time, even if it was fairly limited. I mean, we're talking 1999. I'm not even sure if I was using the internet at that point.

shanafan

I still have my Gameboy Camera, some game link cables, and a few of the GBA's "magnifying glasses" and "worm lights." Most of the time the accessories were kind of junk, IMO.

Honestly, my brother and I had a TON of fun with the Gameboy Camera. It was a pretty novel experience for us at the time, even if it was fairly limited. I mean, we're talking 1999. I'm not even sure if I was using the internet at that point.

No AIM for you in 1999? ;)

canonj

Did anyone else notice that he tried inserting the cartridge backwards with the Game Genie? The cartridge should go in with the label side facing away from you, just like when inserting a game into a regular Game Boy.

James mentioned in his It review that "Son of Monster Madness" will be this October. Reposts of old Monster Madness episodes not seen before on YouTube with 5 brand new reviews each Sunday in October

Top Bottom