• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AngryJoe receives a Nintendo copyright claim. Hope they enjoyed the ad revenue; Done

ware of nintendo?sure
aware of what mario party has to offer and how fun it is to play?
that's a different story

basically what joe did was advertisement for the game
What if he slagged it off and discouraged people from buying the game ?

Still "Free advertising" ?

My response:

Screen_Shot_2015_04_04_at_6_44_51_AM.png

This is amazing.

Denton

I wish I could see the reactions if this was EA, Ubisoft or Activision and not Nintendo.

I would love to see this so much, but by some miracle those companies still have some common sense, at least when it comes to youtube.

diamount

Banned
Just looked through his videos. Doesn't seem he makes much videos about Nintendo anyway.

Unless Nintendo took them all down, which i doubt.

He has never done anything Nintendo related. If he gave them a fair shake like the other publishers then I can see Nintendo cutting him a deal, otherwise Joe's userbase aren't Nintendo people so wouldn't make any difference.

PirateKing

What's going on with all the salt in this thread?

Anyway yeah Nintendo game continues with their backward policies. Nothing new here. Some would think it'd be a good idea for Wii U to have as much coverage as possible.

KHlover

Banned
He has 2 million subscribers.

Nintendo and their products just stopped potentially reaching 2 million people.

Think about it.

Yeah I'm sure all these subscribers ever do is watch Joe's channel. They start their browser and the only site they access in all their life is AngryJoe's channel.

/s

USC-fan

Banned
Just completely backwards. While other handware manufacturer are making it easier to stream games.

Really not surprising since most online services of Nintendo are just completely backwards.

TheJoRu

My response:

Eh, it's not exactly the same thing, but I see your point.

Besides, these copyright claims don't remove the videos AFAIK. I would have a problem with that; I do not however see why YouTubers should be entitled to ad revenue when they are using other people's/companies' properties.

Majukun

What if he slagged it off and discouraged people from buying the game ?

Still "Free advertising" ?

there's no bad or good advertising

that being said,he didn't slagged it off

and if you do good games (like nintendo usually does),you have nothing to fear anyway

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He has never done anything Nintendo related.

Most of his career he was all about Xbox Xbox Xbox
After a few years he discovered PC
It took him until PS4 to finally bother looking at Playstation.
He only has a Wii U because he "asked" his fans to donate him one.

Also, this happened to him before. Over Mario Kart 8. He's raging over something that he knew would happen. I think he might have a problem.

Well, it's not exactly like Mario Party is an obscure, unknown IP.

Even if it isn't obscure, that doesn't everyone's seen/played it before.

That said, the games this will hurt far, far more are Nintendo's more niche games, like Devil's Third. It was always going to struggle regardless but not being covered by any prominent youtubers isn't going to help.

My response:

Don't be an idiot, that's not the same thing at all.

If there's a content match that doesn't mean the video gets taken down, right?

It just means that the revenue generated from the video will go the Nintendo? Isn't that how it works?
It's all about the money.

Also the Nintendo defence force in this thread is quite sickening to read.

Yeah that's it champ.
Totally that's what this is.

Do you look at the actual Wii U sales, and really think that the console dosn't need extra exposure in whatever form?
Sure, I am not saying that getting more exposure is a bad thing. I just don't think a single Angry Joe video, which he can still upload and not make money off of by the way, is going to get that many more sales, for a Mario Party game.

Not to mention what if Angry Joe didn't like it and just trashed it and drove away potentially 2 Million people and made money off it? That's just salt in the wound.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

Also, this happened to him before. Over Mario Kart 8. He's raging over something that he knew would happen. I think he might have a problem.

That's something i noticed with a lot of "youtubers" or twitch streamers. They keep complaining about Nintendo's practices, but most of them keep playing their games.... i wonder why......hehe...

ash321

People, it' free ads revenue, meaning the money he got for uploaded the video. He isn't talking about give Nintendo free advertising. When somebody "flag" your video. They take all of the money the video made through ads.

Condom

What ad revenue? He was the one making money from their work.
No it's his game.

Fucking idiotic how people allow their rights to be taken away by companies. If I bought the game then I can do whatever the fuck I want with it. Including making money off it.
Nintendo sold me a tool for entertainment, which can be used to entertain others too.

All companies doing this should be ashamed.

RPGCrazied

Wish he could find some other place than youtube, he seems to have trouble with them on a regular basis. I understand though that is where his subscribers are, but if they are fans they would follow him to somewhere else. Like me.

Wait, is this true? And he's no longer going to post ANY Nintendo videos, simply because he can't monetize them?

I'm sorry, but if this is true, that's incredibly shitty. He owes it to his fans to throw some Wii U coverage on his channel from time to time.

there's no bad or good advertising

that being said,he didn't slagged it off

and if you do good games (like nintendo usually does),you have nothing to fear anyway

You can't be serious.

There absolutely is good advertising, advertising is meant to show your product/service/ the thing you want to sell in a good light so you end up selling more of it.

Thats not what letting rondom people make money off your game on the intenet is.

Amused

I hardly ever watch his (or any)YouTube celebrity show, but a lot of people seem to be pretending that these guys don't offer any advertising effect what so ever.

Especially towards people under 17-18 it feels like the marketing effect of YouTube and its content is pretty huge.

Now, this move by this Joe guy might not have much of an effect, but if a lot of big YouTube names stop producing Nintendo content? I sure as hell would think that would have an effect.

Akhe

Wait, is this true? And he's no longer going to post ANY Nintendo videos, simply because he can't monetize them?

I'm sorry, but if this is true, that's incredibly shitty. He owes it to his fans to throw some Wii U coverage on his channel from time to time.

It's true.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's something i noticed with a lot of "youtubers" or twitch streamers. They keep complaining about Nintendo's practices, but most of them keep playing their games.... i wonder why......hehe...

Those YouTubers/streamers probably make enough from other games or promotional deals (including ones from Nintendo) that they can take the hit.

Yep.
"Give me a Wii U so I can play those games for you, my fans"
"I CAN'T MAKE MONEY! THIS IS DUMB!"

Kinyou

since nintendo made the copyright claim,now the ad revenue goes all to nintendo.
plus the coverage and free advertisement of the game to his 2 million subscribers (don't know how many of them watched the video though)
Ah, I see. Didn't know youtube handled it this way. IMO it would be better to just deactivate ads for that particular video all together.

And I get the whole free coverage thing, but I also understand why a company wouldn't want someone else to profit of their own product. If they don't like how Angry Joe handles their games then that's just how it is.

Majukun

You mean making a living off of someone else's content (with minimal commentary/editing), and getting upset when the owners decide that they don't want you using it?

i mean that you posting his content it's not the same of him playing a game (per se a transformative act,since he his playing an active part) and commenting on it.

if you make a video with his comment while commenting,criticizing it,then as long as you don't post the whole thing,it's fair use

but you have to play an active part..make the video your own

most of the "let's player" have their subscribers not thanks to the games (since most of them play the same games),but because of their personalities,their arguments etc..basically thanks to the active part of the video

inner-G

Banned
He won't make any because he can't monetize them?

Sounds like he doesn't care about his fans or gaming, really.

Yeah I'm sure all these subscribers ever do is watch Joe's channel. They start their browser and the only site they access in all their life is AngryJoe's channel.

/s

The problem is that Nintendo is not on a position to lose awareness in any way and avoid any bad publicity. If this was their Wii and DS era, Nintendo could probably easily laugh at Joe and mock him on public and wouldn't mattered at all when you are selling so well.

Yeah, these people might find Nintendo content in other channels, maybe some of them maybe half, we don't know. But ypu don't want less, when you have a product struggling with sales, you want more awareness, and you want to avoid any bad publicity surrounding your company.

Top Bottom