• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Direct Nov. 2, Miitopia featured in JP stream (no mobile/Switch)

NoKisum

This isn't even an update, it's more like a sequel? Like Super Animal Crossing New Leaf?

Seriously, there's more meaningful updates in this than there was in Let's All Go To The City.

Is it weird to theorize that most or all of these update features were meant for a proper Animal Crossing Wii U, but had its features reallocated to New Leaf due to the Wii U not taking off as well as Nintendo wanted it to?

Cuburt

This update is great!

At first I wasn't really interested in a couple little updates they might add and amiibo functionality (even though it looks cool and is great for people still playing the game, people who bought amiibo/Happy Home Designer) but this has so much great content it might actually bring me back to the game.

It's great features that seem like they'll be standards in Animal Crossing going forward and a good reason to buy Animal Crossing amiibo.

I'm really impressed Nintendo made an update like this for free for a game that a few years old now.

I fired up New Leaf for the first time in a couple of years today, excited to sell my town and start anew. Turns out my town didn't have enough prestige to be sold, so unfortunately my interest in playing was killed again.

Cuburt

What is up with the title not mentioning the update?

I didn't care about the Direct and almost didn't bother to watch since the title only mentions no Switch and no mobile news. I get that those are the only things oeople might have expected this Direct to be about, but it can't be the only thing people care about.

Maybe there is another thread for new news but I couldn't find it.

LoveCake

The campground exists in its own space off the side of the map. It won't take up room within your own village's boundaries.

It has it own map, don'worry.

It's a new separate area, like the main street. Doesn't take up any space. :)

Mine's to the east, vertically centred on the map, near my Town Hall.

Ok thanks all.

I will leave it a week or so before up-dating.

I play New Leaf everyday, so I want to have a look at other peoples comments and videos first, there is no way I will sell my town, Bluebear and Filbert are NOT going anywhere!

Reki

I have never played Animal Crossing, but I just watched the Direct and... well, that was something else. In any case, it's good material for memes.

I have wondered for more than a year if I should buy NL, but always decided against it because of my backlog. Today I was tempted again, but I believe I will just wait for the inevitable Switch title.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This direct happened overnight and now I'm at work, could some kind soul please summarise what was announced?

The patch is available now. This is all from memory, so I could be wrong, but the patch adds:

- A new RV/campground area where scanned amiibo characters (and other characters not scanned) will appear. You have to first get a magic lamp to make Wisp appear; Wisp is basically your amiibo interface.

- These characters can be asked to stay in your village.

- Compatible amiibo are mostly (entirely?) Zelda, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing.

- New furniture/clothing have been added based on HHD and Nintendo crossover content, unlocked via HHD save data, amiibo (character shows up in campground and then you can purchase the items from them), and other means that don't require amiibo (not true for everything added, though).

- Of the items that anyone can get, Wii Us and 3DSs were added as furniture items (I think they're accessible through amiibo characters or the roulette, if that's a thing?). If you have a Wii U, you can play the Desert Island Escape minigame (from amiibo Festival). With a 3DS, you can play Animal Crossing Puzzle League. amiibo interact with these games in some way, but I don't think they're required.

- The decorating interface from HHD (that uses the touch screen) has been added.

- A photo mode has been added for taking pictures of your villagers.

- New optional Daily and Weekly missions have been added. If you complete these, you earn MEOW coupons. MEOW coupons can be used to order items and redeemed for money. These coupons are also what's used to purchase from RV villagers, I believe.

- You can now have a secret storage area in your house that allows you to basically save extra stuff. This is not an extra room, more like an extra menu, so it won't be visible to anyone visiting.

- If you want to start over with this new update, you can have your old village evaluated and Tom Nook can give you (potentially lots of) money to begin your new village.

- New Sanrio (Hello Kitty) amiibo cards are releasing (this hasn't been announced for NA yet).

- Lots of other little tweaks and additions that people are discovering.

This list summary from Nintendo UK might help: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016...-Animal-Crossing-New-Leaf-update-1151452.html

Just finished watching the direct. That was awesome, I loved the voiceover and especially all the new features. I cracked up at the Harriet part.
Just ordered the Callie & Marie amiibo.

Also, are the grapes new? I remember seeing grape vines

Dmax3901

The patch is available now. This is all from memory, so I could be wrong, but the patch adds:

- A new RV/campground area where scanned amiibo characters (and other characters not scanned) will appear. You have to first get a magic lamp to make Wisp appear; Wisp is basically your amiibo interface.

- These characters can be asked to stay in your village.

- Compatible amiibo are mostly (entirely?) Zelda, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing.

- New furniture/clothing have been added based on HHD and Nintendo crossover content, unlocked via HHD save data, amiibo (character shows up in campground and then can purchase the items from the villagers who show up), and other means that don't require amiibo (not true for everything, though).

- Of the items that anyone can get, Wii Us and 3DSs were added as furniture items (I think they're accessible through amiibo characters or the roulette, if that's a thing?). If you have a Wii U, you can play the Desert Island Escape minigame (from amiibo Festival). With a 3DS, you can play Animal Crossing Puzzle League. amiibo can assist you in these.

- The decorating interface from HHD (that uses the touch screen) has been added.

- A photo mode has been added for taking pictures of your villagers.

- New optional Daily and Weekly missions have been added. If you complete these, you earn MEOW coupons. MEOW coupons can be used to order items and redeemed for money. These coupons are also what's used to purchase from RV villagers, I believe.

- You can now have a secret storage area in your house that allows you to basically save extra stuff. This is not an extra room, but more like an extra menu, so it won't be visible to anyone visiting.

- If you want to start over with this new update, you can have your old village evaluated and Tom Nook can give you (potentially lots of) money to begin your new village.

- New Sanrio (Hello Kitty) amiibo cards are releasing (this hasn't been announced for NA yet).

- Lots of other little tweaks and additions that people are discovering.

This list summary from Nintendo UK might help: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016...-Animal-Crossing-New-Leaf-update-1151452.html

Thanks!

This update is way beefier than I thought it would be. Too bad it wasn't released sooner.

This should of been the very first game to launch amiibo functionality.

BooJoh

Well, I updated, checked out the campground, did the daily missions, put in an order for my extra storage, linked HHD, etc... now I have to wait until tomorrow to get Wisp I guess, and then if I understand correctly, I can only scan one amiibo per day.

As someone who doesn't time travel, it's going to be painful getting to all the new content.

I'm thinking if I start with the Lottie amiibo hopefully that'll be my best chance for getting Puzzle League since she had a 3DSXL in her camper in the direct.

Robin64

I'm thinking if I start with the Lottie amiibo hopefully that'll be my best chance for getting Puzzle League since she had a 3DSXL in her camper in the direct.

If you have Tom Nook, go for that one. He has both a 3DS and a Wii U.

Watched the direct.

"Call me Harv for short or haaaaarv for long, haha"

Lost my shit at this. What an amazingly weird direct. Awesome.

Was never prompted to sell my town. It just went right into the animation on the train with Isabelle.

Did my town suck? ;-;

Cute stuff so far, would have been nice to have Wisp and the storage today but I can wait.

I hope they take some ideas from this game for the next animal crossing game presumably on Switch. Storage space has always been a huge complaint especially in a game that is based around collecting tons of items. I would hope a future game has unlimited or a much more expansive storage system.

So I can buy any of the Animal Crossing card packs that are out there?

I mean, yeah, you could but because there are 4 series and they come in random packs of 6 where 1 will be a shiny "rare" card it'd be best to do research to find which series has more of your favorite villagers so you have a better chance of pulling one you like

Davey Cakes

This update made me visit my village for the first time in two years. It was nice that I didn't have to remove the weeds this time. Place must've been overgrown.

Since I don't use Amiibos, I don't find the new content particularly compelling but it's cool to have. The town initiatives are nice little extra things to do.

Ponn

Banned
Oh bother, went ahead and bought this on eshop (one of those games I might play every once in awhile but don't feel like swapping carts for). $20 is a good price, especially with the update. I would like Ganon in my village though, is he unlocked with the Ganondorf amiibo I assume? I was thinking of ordering the Wolf Amiibo anyways to have it for BoTW for Switch in case they don't release the game/amiibo combo for Switch. Also ordered a couple card packs for the shits and giggles.

Berordn

Was never prompted to sell my town. It just went right into the animation on the train with Isabelle.

Did my town suck? ;-;

They don't offer you the option to sell your town unless you ask about starting over in the load menu, after confirming that you do what to blow the place up twice.

Tempted to sell my town and start over, but I feel like I'd burn out on Animal Crossing and I'm better off just waiting for Animal Crossing Switch.
Hopefully it comes in the first couple years.

Okamid3n

My friend tried to sell her town, it just deleted it.

I have millions of bells, I tried to sell my town, I'm pretty sure I was one A press off of deleting it with no appraisal either, so I exited out and kept my town.

I wish Nintendo just explained exactly when it actually works.

(Yes, we've updated our games.)

HF2014

If i get some amiibo cards, what it will do in the game? Can i have the scanned amiibo as a villager? Im curious and tempt to get some...

Seems my town's ok to sell off. Probably going to get someone to help move pictures/other non-catalog stuff out of town before I restart though.

My friend tried to sell her town, it just deleted it.

I have millions of bells, I tried to sell my town, I'm pretty sure I was one A press off of deleting it with no appraisal either, so I exited out and kept my town.

I wish Nintendo just explained exactly when it actually works.

(Yes, we've updated our games.)

Yeah, it's weird. The dialogue Isabel gives you changes based on whether or not you can sell. If she warns you again about it going away forever, you can't sell. If she asks if you want to be mayor again immediately or take a break, you can sell.

Zubz

Banned
Wait, so Puzzle League and the one good game from Amiibo Festival are now a part of New Leaf? I think my GOAT just got GOATer.

Which Amiibo do I scan for Ganon?

Cindro

They don't offer you the option to sell your town unless you ask about starting over in the load menu, after confirming that you do what to blow the place up twice.
What are the benefits of selling? How many bells do you get/what all carries over?

tquinta

Neo Member
God I love AC: New Leaf.
This update will probably hook me up again.
Couple of things I couldn't figure out:
How do you get the AC:HHD decorating interface to appear? I moved my furniture around and it's still the old one
Also I couldn't get Whisp to appear yet... I guess I need to give it some time

I'm so excited for this Animal Crossing update! This all makes me wonder why they'd put an update out for a game this old.
Either way it's cool of them to do it, and to support the 3DS going into next year.

ggx2ac

So I'd actually have to put effort into the game to get Puzzle League? (I saw what I have to get.)

Intelligent Systems better be releasing a new one on Switch. Either Panel de Pon or featuring mascots of another franchise,

hatchx

Banned
That's great that the touch-screen design features from HHD are becoming mainstay in the franchise. It's as if the Animal Crossing team never stops working.

Top Bottom