• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons ends 2020 at the top | UK Boxed Charts

It makes me wonder how miserable the legs for Cyberpunk 2077's are in other countries. shame UK is the only one that gives out weekly info. I think even TLOUS Part 2 may have been more leggy.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned

It makes me wonder how miserable the legs for Cyberpunk 2077's are in other countries. shame UK is the only one that gives out weekly info. I think even TLOUS Part 2 may have been more leggy.
In Japan it dropped like 93% in the second week of sales and probably already has disappeared from top 30 best selling games by week 52(third week of sales).

Animal Crossing is the best selling SKU of the year in a good margin above FIFA 21 PS4 is one of the best news for gaming industry.

Finally Real game > MTX game.

In Japan it dropped like 93% in the second week of sales and probably already has disappeared from top 30 best selling games by week 52(third week of sales).

Animal Crossing is the best selling SKU of the year in a good margin above FIFA 21 PS4 is one of the best news for gaming industry.

I am sure Cyberpunk has no MTX at the moment, but it definitely wasn't ready.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
Nintendo are in a very unique and enviable position right now.

Their hardware and software sales are on fire while the competition is suffering from shortages of their new consoles while consumer fatigue will set in on their incumbent iterations. Fewer consumers are going to readily invest in PS4 and XBO, but wait it out for a PS5 or XSX/S - But how long will consumers be prepared to wait? During this wait might they be tempted to buy a Switch?

As Switch continues to be a viable purchase, I wonder has this situation caught everyone off guard (including Nintendo) and if anyone is really positioned to maximise its full potential?

Recently Konami have had huge success in Japan, but it will be interesting to see if this situation continues and what (if any) changes may occur in the market overall?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Cyberpunk 2077, you say?

pLs9mgx.jpg

Well in Japan the game is only on PS4 (PS5 still irrelevant) so it makes sense.

Magog.

Banned
Tracking boxed sales in 2020 is like counting horse and buggy traffic and thinking its indicative of how busy a road is.

Magog.

Banned
It counts for at least 50-70% of sales with physical. Retarded much?

Less than 50% and it's not like they are distributed evenly. Buying a physical copy on Switch saves you from using your own storage space and make better gifts for children who are Nintendo's target audience.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I bought for my kids as they really wanted it but I’ve played it constantly lol.

MagnesG

Banned
Less than 50% and it's not like they are distributed evenly. Buying a physical copy on Switch saves you from using your own storage space and make better gifts for children who are Nintendo's target audience.
Physical sales are still strong despite the anomaly like Animal Crossing with its nearing 50% digital ratio. Where did you get this less than 50% number really.

Other games are typically only around 30%.

So what if these physical aren't distributed evenly? Digital sales aren't "distributed" qevenly either if we look at the charts. It's all about the market demand and sales will dictates that.

Buying physical Switch games means you have to swap constantly which is a a big hassle down the line. Switch software sales are pretty much healthy in both digital and physical.

Magog.

Banned
Physical sales are still strong despite the anomaly like Animal Crossing with its nearing 50% digital ratio. Where did you get this less than 50% number really.

Other games are typically only around 30%.

So what if these physical aren't distributed evenly? Digital sales aren't "distributed" qevenly either if we look at the charts. It's all about the market demand and sales will dictates that.

Buying physical Switch games means you have to swap constantly which is a a big hassle down the line. Switch software sales are pretty much healthy in both digital and physical.

Less than 50%

MagnesG

Banned

Less than 50%
You misunderstood the article. If we look at these on game by game basis only some of them are high on digital ratio but because those games are popular, it added on the overall digital ratio. We also have to count small games like indies with pretty much miniscule physical presence except for maybe limited runs. PC games are also automatically digital these days.

Games with physicals offered are still on the typical 30% digital ratio average.

And COVID happens, which only started last year.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

Japan is different to the rest of the world. Almost everything non Japanese barely makes the list. So that's not an indication of anything.

Sgt.Asher

BUt aNimAl CroSsINg WoRSt GAem EveRor.
It's a relaxing game in these times of uncertainty. I do wish it was more interactive with the in game objects, like the mojang table for example.

rubenburgt

It's well deserved if you'd ask me.
It's just such a light-hearted addictive game to play.

And the best part is that the developers keep improving it. A lot of missing features from the previous games has slowly been brought back.

Cyberpunk is selling mostly on PC and thus mostly digitally, not boxed.

Top Bottom