• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons |OT| Self-isolating on a deserted island

amigastar

Since i don't have a Switch currently playing Animal Crossing New Leaf on the 3ds. My first Animal Crossing. So far so good, don't excatly know what to expect since i'm an Animal Crossing noob.

joe_zazen

Since i don't have a Switch currently playing Animal Crossing New Leaf on the 3ds. My first Animal Crossing. So far so good, don't excatly know what to expect since i'm an Animal Crossing noob.

just play, dont go looking for tips and shit till way later.

.my SO has been playing that for six years. She wont get the new AC because she is too attached to NL. Lol. Truly a lifestyle game.

Last edited:

T-Square

Are there different fish available then on your normal island?
there were a couple the first time, after that i hadnt been motivated to fish. my fruit is always my native, except once. last few times there was no new animal there. i did get bamboo and a bunch of hybrids tho

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So I haven't been playing the game, but my wife and three (oldest) kids have. The quick-menu seems really smart, and I think the overall tone of the game fits the AC mechanics a lot better than past games. There's no "survival" per se but I overhear them discussing what they plan to improve next, areas they want to open up, resources they need, etc. "Oh you got a beehive? Please drop that outside my tent and I'll make a medicine out of it" "I'm saving those coconuts for a crafting recipe" etc

Seems like a hit to me. 🤷‍♀️

Oh, I did try out the fishing to show my son how it was done. Cheesy puns are intact! "Seabass? More like C+" lol

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Man, the museum looks great. I had 1 more islander move in today. The bridge is also a great improvement. I need about $200k to pay off the next house expansion.

So I haven't been playing the game, but my wife and three (oldest) kids have. The quick-menu seems really smart, and I think the overall tone of the game fits the AC mechanics a lot better than past games. There's no "survival" per se but I overhear them discussing what they plan to improve next, areas they want to open up, resources they need, etc. "Oh you got a beehive? Please drop that outside my tent and I'll make a medicine out of it" "I'm saving those coconuts for a crafting recipe" etc

Seems like a hit to me. 🤷‍♀️

Oh, I did try out the fishing to show my son how it was done. Cheesy puns are intact! "Seabass? More like C+" lol

You'll be playing it soon enough :messenger_tears_of_joy:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Was that your original tent/cabin location or did you move? If it was, then you chose a really nice place. I'm kinda wishing I was on a different part of my island now.

Yep, original. I really just wanted to play the game, and just ran around looking for a place quickly. I’m surprised it turned out as well as it did.

With the relocation and landscaping features though, you should be able to find something awesome. I love that this time around.

I need to find toilet paper and a few other outdoorsy items
ET0dCpWUMAAHnes

pulga

Banned
Has anyone else been catching an abnormal number of Dorados today? I've caught 4, and before today I had 0.

Last edited:
Thankfully the game is getting review bombed now for it's secondary player system which is absolute garbage. I know it won't matter and Nintendo won't change it though because they're Nintendo. https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/23/2...player-flimsy-axe-bug-no-progress-locked-nook Just go buy another Switch console LOL. This is the most anti consumer shit I've ever seen in a game.

And a Resetera thread on it: https://www.resetera.com/threads/im...mal-crossing-nintendo-please-fix-this.176793/

Aside from that there were a couple of things that nearly ruined the game for me at the beginning that weren't actually issues. I just didn't know they were things that could be done:

1. You can hit left/right on the D-pad to cycle through your tools (Net, Fishing pole etc). You can also put it away by pressing down on the D-pad.

2. Remember you can BUY stuff like a flimsy axe, shovel etc from Tom Nooks son. You don't have to craft it if you don't have/cant find the materials.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
That annoyed me too. Apparently I can't even house villagers I've personally invited from islands, Nook goes straight to my partner about it.

Hoho for breakfast Hoho for breakfast
Hasn’t Animal Crossing always been deferential to the first player? The first player is always the mayor or whatever.
I've never played an Animal Crossing game before but from what I've read, in online play with others yes it is normal for it to be this way (which makes sense since you don't want some random messing with your stuff), but it's never been this way with local play.

It really really sucks because I was looking forward to it but so were my wife and kids. Now that my wife started first it's killed any enjoyment for me to play. One of my kids at least is still having fun regardless, but they're really young so don't know they're missing a bunch of stuff.

Last edited:
Damn Switch is sold out on amazon
You can get the regular Swich via Gamestop.com and I think that's it for now. Otherwise you can only get the Lite version. Normal is sold out at Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy...

Lite version could sell out as well with Coronavirus I imagine.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I've never played an Animal Crossing game before but from what I've read, in online play with others yes it is normal for it to be this way (which makes sense since you don't want some random messing with your stuff), but it's never been this way with local play.

It really really sucks because I was looking forward to it but so were my wife and kids. Now that my wife started first it's killed any enjoyment for me to play. One of my kids at least is still having fun regardless, but they're really young so don't know they're missing a bunch of stuff.

Why don’t you just log into her account? Judging by the article you linked, you should just have to catch five unique creatures, and you’ll be back on track, which should be a cinch.

Granted, I don’t think it should be designed this way. Projects should be Group Projects, with all players given access. But sometimes developers make stupid decisions, and it’s on us to fix the situation rather than just sit there and complain.

Kacho

Gold Member
You can get the regular Swich via Gamestop.com and I think that's it for now. Otherwise you can only get the Lite version. Normal is sold out at Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy...

Lite version could sell out as well with Coronavirus I imagine.
Wtf happened? Animal crossing hype or something else? Just saw it was sold out on Best Buy too. Wild man. My wife really wants a Switch...

Thurible

Today was an incredibly productive day in the game. I figured out you can put items into storage at your home, I finally got all the iron nuggets needed to make the shop, I paid off my mortgage for an upgrade, I played with a friend and now have most of the fruits (all in all, cherries, oranges, peaches, apples, and coconuts), with my friend I have collected over 110,000 bells for myself and accummulated around 5,000 nook miles, we spent a lot of time fishing and I managed to wrangle 2 blue marlins and 2 oarfish, and he gave me the early access to a ladder (which apparently comes tommorrow to me) so I was able to comb through a few areas that were inaccessible to me for a while.

Also, I learned you can run :p

Last edited:

Shouta

Managed to setup 3 houses, get them furnished, and started the next house upgrade. My island lacks any sort of planning atm though, lol. I really need to be able to move land plots/buildings at some point

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Today was an incredibly productive day in the game. I figured out you can put items into storage at your home, I finally got all the iron nuggets needed to make the shop, I paid off my mortgage for an upgrade, I played with a friend and now have most of the fruits (all in all, cherries, oranges, peaches, apples, and coconuts), with my friend I have collected over 110,000 bells for myself and accummulated around 5,000 nook miles, we spent a lot of time fishing and I managed to wrangle 2 blue marlins and 2 oarfish, and he gave me the early access to a ladder (which apparently comes tommorrow to me) so I was able to comb through a few areas that were inaccessible to me for a while.

Also, I learned you can run :p

What part of the island were you one when you caught the Blue Marlin? The dock with the plane or just the regular dock?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I only need 2 more fish for the month. Blue Marlin and Golden trout. I still need 5 bugs.

The wife is playing and she is having crazy frequent tarantula spawns. I can't wit until she goes to bed. :messenger_smiling_horns:

Top Bottom