• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons |OT| Self-isolating on a deserted island

nkarafo

Why Not 8K HDR With Lambos, Guns & Boobzzz?!

Bro, this is a Animal Crossing game, and it looks god damn amazing.
Even for an Animal Crossing game it looks bad. Its empty and the colors are washed out and hazy. Art direction looks better on Gamecube with better colors and richer textures.

Even for an Animal Crossing game it looks bad. Its empty and the colors are washed out and hazy. Art direction looks better on Gamecube with better colors and richer textures.
I can kind of see what you're saying after checking out screens. They've lost a lot of the little details and left it a little too clinical.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Day Five

Here is how feel about you Rocket:

ET-bhK-UEAALErc

And of course she loves the gift (fail):

ET-bhK4UEAApr56

Back to the drawing board.
Hit her with your bug net :messenger_smiling_horns:

Shantae

Banned
It gets so hard to just resist time travel some days...yesterday I was waiting for the Museum to be built. Today the museum is build, but now Nook's tent is closed up, so I gotta wait for that now. I can't even use my Nook miles I think, so I can't go to random islands :/

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I love how each fish has it's own unique rumble signature. You can pretty much predict what you are going to catch.
Oh really? Might have to turn it back on. Thank you
It gets so hard to just time travel some days...yesterday I was waiting for the Museum to be built. Today the museum is build, but now Nook's tent is closed up, so I gotta wait for that now. I can't even use my Nook miles I think, so I can't go to random islands :/
Thats why time travelling is stupid. You’re like taking away the purpose of the game

Linius

That's correct. Nook actually also announced that Residential Services will be unavailable for 1 full day. So I stocked up some extra Miles tickets just in case on the evening before they started to rebuild. Ended up not even using them but messing with my house instead. I can see the temptation to travel in time though. But on the other hand it's also huge part of the experience, it's one big slow grind.

Had my Residential Service building open today. And well, the grind is gonna intensify. Crazy amount of interesting stuff to buy with both miles and bells. Looks like some of the public works projects from New Leaf made it back in a slightly different way of obtaining them. And of course villagers are able to help you pay for bridges and what not again, but I figure it will be like New Leaf. We can be lucky if they donate as much as a few 1000 bells. If even. Kind of hope they fixed that a bit. Anyways, the game opens up big again after having Residential Services upgraded.

Some screens

jWGxHoB.jpg

YbvVUdL.jpg

8zjIRWE.jpg

By the way, I don't really see any of old faces from the New Leaf OT's. But it looks like this thread is quite active, a reason to visit GAF again then.

Last edited:

tassletine

That's correct. Nook actually also announced that Residential Services will be unavailable for 1 full day. So I stocked up some extra Miles tickets just in case on the evening before they started to rebuild. Ended up not even using them but messing with my house instead. I can see the temptation to travel in time though. But on the other hand it's also huge part of the experience, it's one big slow grind.

Had my Residential Service building open today. And well, the grind is gonna intensify. Crazy amount of interesting stuff to buy with both miles and bells. Looks like some of the public works projects from New Leaf made it back in a slightly different way of obtaining them. And of course villagers are able to help you pay for bridges and what not again, but I figure it will be like New Leaf. We can be lucky if they donate as much as a few 1000 bells. If even. Kind of hope they fixed that a bit. Anyways, the game opens up big again after having Residential Services upgraded.

Some screens

jWGxHoB.jpg

YbvVUdL.jpg

8zjIRWE.jpg

By the way, I don't really see any of old faces from the New Leaf OT's. But it looks like this thread is quite active, a reason to visit GAF again then.
I agree. I literally used it to reset my brain patterns once, as I found that I had become too impulsive in my actual work.
It's like gardening. Very, very rewarding -- it shows you that there can be a huge benefit from taking things slowly and planning ahead.

Linius

Just a little tip, it's possible to quote multiple posts in one post so you don't have to flood the page :)

And I started my garden as well yesterday. Had some fences left. Then acquired some more flowers in friend's towns so ended up growing them outside the fences anyways. Nothing showed up this morning. But hopefuly I'll see something cool pop up in the following days.

Mista

Banned
I literally have nothing to do but wait for now. Been planting different flowers for some hybrid from the types I have. Cleaning the shores is alright but I need a 🦈

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My resident services is updating today. I didn't even think about the ABM. I have no way of putting money into it.

I will likely spend my time today gathering the last of the money needed to upgrade my house and then planning out some orchards and gardens around the island.

tassletine

Just a little tip, it's possible to quote multiple posts in one post so you don't have to flood the page :)
Sorry I bothered you, but no. I personally find posts lumped together like that confusing.
However. I rarely post like that (if ever) so I doubt it will happen again.

drganon

I managed to go through 4 fishing rods and 4 nets in one day. They make even the flimsiest of weapons from botw seem durable.

On a happier note, I'm getting my musuem, two new villagers and my house expansion tomorrow.

Mista

Banned
This is getting ridiculous. The deserted islands are a waste of Nook Miles and I am also done grinding for fish and bug

Tomorrow my resident hall opens so I might return in 2 hours or more to see if theres anything new I can catch which I doubt..

Linius

With some tweaking you can apparently make most RNG islands a tarantula island. But it takes a bit of work. Haven't tested it myself though. You can read about it here in casy anyone is interested.

Mista Mista Mind you, once you see what you can buy when you have Resident Services you're gonna want to have a shitload of bells and miles. So if you're not tired grinding yet I'd definitly keep going at it. You'll probably spend it in the blink of an eye again.

mcjmetroid

This is getting ridiculous. The deserted islands are a waste of Nook Miles and I am also done grinding for fish and bug

Tomorrow my resident hall opens so I might return in 2 hours or more to see if theres anything new I can catch which I doubt..
Yaaaaa I've done it a few times now it's also really useful if you badly need money or materials.

I have to say this I don't like the breaking items in this game. I can understand the item durability in breath of the wild and I defended it but here it's pointless. A shovel breaking doesn't encourage to use other items because only one item can dig.

I'm hoping you can eventually just BUY the proper axe and shovel etc instead of having to craft.

chris121580

I'm really enjoying my time with this game and haven't time traveled and don't plan to...but man...nintendo really dropped the ball with some quality of life stuff, just to name a few off the top of my head:

-Allow us to craft using items in our storage in our house
-Let us pick up multiple items at once, especially wood
-Include some sort of life bar for the tools so we know when they're about to break
-Let us craft multiple of the same items at once
-Automatically use the ladder/pole vault instead of having to take it out each time

I feel like those 5 alone would be complete game changers

Last edited:

Swim Good

Neo Member
Are we going to set up a turnip sell/trade thread like we had for new leaf or are we just going to use this one? I'd love to get a group of people together to buy some turnips and sell them this week!

Linius

I'm really enjoying my time with this game and haven't time traveled and don't plan to...but man...nintendo really dropped the ball with some quality of life stuff, just to name a few off the top of my head:

-Include some sort of life bar for the tools so we know when they're about to break
-Automatically use the ladder/pole vault instead of having to take it out each time

Number 2 I don't care too much about. Number 4 would definitely make sense for some items like the wooden-block toy that is a material for other things. I would like them to enable every item that is also a resource for better/bigger furniture to be crafted in bigger numbers. But I don't really mind the other stuff honestly. At least, to me it wouldn't make sense if they would allow you to craft something big like a bed or a closet in bigger numbers. Nor would people do that anyways.

But yeah, number 1, 3 and 5 would be very welcome. But I doubt things like these will ever be patched in. It's not as if Nintendo is known for doing stuff with feedback they get from the community.

DirectX

Neo Member
I put 2 of the 3 new houses on land that connects via bridge but I was having trouble finding space so I put 3rd house on part of island with no bridge and wondering if the person will move into it tomorrow or not

tassletine

It's an incredibly well balanced game and designed to be played for a long time so it's always had a large amount of friction built into it. It's not meant to be played quickly.
The first time I played it, all those years ago, I thought exactly like you, but I don't anymore.

Planning, forethought and tracking your own actions are part of it's skillset, and those skills are what make an efficient Animal Crossing player.
This version already plays much quicker than previous games, so any further changes might be overkill. It's really not a game about getting what you want, more a game about being conscientious.

Think about the life bar comment above. That makes sense in a fighting game as you could die, but here, all it is, is a signal to cut more wood.
You can deal with that request as it arrives (making it a fetch quest) or you can divide your day up, planting trees near your house just for wood, then cutting down the wood in the morning and making enough new items for the days play (which is the more efficient way of playing).
If they had a life bar you'd be constantly watching it, and it would most likely encourage newer players into that twitchier way of play -- which isn't what the game is about.

chris121580

It's an incredibly well balanced game and designed to be played for a long time so it's always had a large amount of friction built into it. It's not meant to be played quickly.
The first time I played it, all those years ago, I thought exactly like you, but I don't anymore.

Planning, forethought and tracking your own actions are part of it's skillset, and those skills are what make an efficient Animal Crossing player.
This version already plays much quicker than previous games, so any further changes might be overkill. It's really not a game about getting what you want, more a game about being conscientious.

Think about the life bar comment above. That makes sense in a fighting game as you could die, but here, all it is, is a signal to cut more wood.
You can deal with that request as it arrives (making it a fetch quest) or you can divide your day up, planting trees near your house just for wood, then cutting down the wood in the morning and making enough new items for the days play (which is the more efficient way of playing).
If they had a life bar you'd be constantly watching it, and it would most likely encourage newer players into that twitchier way of play -- which isn't what the game is about.
Those are definitely valid points as well. I think at this point I'd just be happy with being able to craft from my storage haha

Tukker

Game is great so far :). I have like 20k nook miles though atm and no clue what to spend them on besides mystery island. I hope we get some nice unlocks for nook miles further in the game.

Mista

Banned
Game is great so far :). I have like 20k nook miles though atm and no clue what to spend them on besides mystery island. I hope we get some nice unlocks for nook miles further in the game.
Plenty of stuff to get with them. Expand your inventory, getter better tools recipes and many more.

Mista

Banned
Bunny Day will take place from April 1 – 12 and see character Zipper visit your island. The event will have players hunting down hidden eggs and crafting limited time items from the Egg series.

Another free update will take place at the end of April and add new features and Earth Day

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

Bunny Day will take place from April 1 – 12 and see character Zipper visit your island. The event will have players hunting down hidden eggs and crafting limited time items from the Egg series.

Another free update will take place at the end of April and add new features and Earth Day

Good to see free DLC rolling out soon to keep people engaged. Love Earth Day

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I haven't played much. Don't even have a house yet. But I don't like where I placed my tent. Is there a way to move your home?

Top Bottom