• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Sells 1.88M Copies in Japan

Bullet Club

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Sells 1.8M Copies in Japan, Switch Unit Sales Surpass 300K In the Same Week

Animal Crossing: New Horizons has been one of the most eagerly anticipated games for the Nintendo Switch for the past year or so, and the game finally saw its official release last Friday. It’s gone through a delay, but the wait has certainly been worth it. Within just a week of its release, the game has already sold extremely well in Japan.

According to Famitsu, the game has already hit 1,880,626 copies sold within its first week in Japan. In addition to that, it’s worth noting that this number only accounts for physical retail copies, and doesn’t consider digital sales, which will certainly make up a good portion of the sales as well.

That isn’t the only bit of success Nintendo has seen this past week, though, as the Switch sales have seen a bit of a surge as well. In the same Famitsu report, both the Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite consoles have sold 392,576 units within the past week of Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ official release. It’s certainly clear that New Horizons has been a major game for both Japan and the worldwide audience.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is now available exclusively on the Nintendo Switch, and we’ll have our official review for the game ready later this week.

Source: Twinfinite

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
It's not even a week but just 3 days.

It could end up being the fastest selling launch for a video game in Japan of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta hand it to Big N this time round. A LONG time between mainline Animal Crossing games on a home console and they damn well hit it out of the park. Well earned!

KINGMOKU

It's not even a week but just 3 days.

It could end up being the fastest selling launch for a video game in Japan of all time.
Oh it most assuredly is. This number is without digital. (Could be as high as 3million FW with digital. Previous record holder is pokemon BW at 2.6 million.)

This is the largest launch week ever in Japan, and if I'm not mistaken the largest non holiday/launch week ever for weekly hardware.(392,000 switches sold as well)and this is the most switches sold in a single week ever as well, even bigger then launch.

Crazy that its animal crossing. Could end up as the best selling game ever in Japan(long road)

Kacho

This game is going to be massive globally. It’s kind of a perfect storm situation and the fact that the game is so god damn good.

Yep this game is going to do crazy numbers everywhere thanks to the game itself, and the pandemic. As said above it's a perfect storm. I won't be a bit surprised if it breaks all kinds of sales records not just in Japan, but everywhere.

Also extraordinarily smart of them to screw the second player in the game ensuring a shit ton of consoles and extra copies of the game get sold. Absolutely shitty, but clearly smart. You can't even buy a normal Switch in the states now. I almost bought one from Gamestop the other day...but I hate Gamestop. And now even they're out of stock. Everywhere has the Lite version for now at least for anyone that wants that.

Also Naughty Dog should seriously consider bumping up The Last Of Us 2 release date if at all possible just to capitalize on this. It's another game that would sell a metric shit ton at a time like this.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
From Nintendo Life:

As mentioned in our original article below, this means New Horizons has had the best launch of any Switch game so far in the region, beating the previous record held by Pokémon Sword and Shield (1.3 million in three days) and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's 1.2 million sales across the same period.

The 1.88 million total only includes physical sales, so adding (currently unknown) digital sales into the mix will likely be eye-watering.

Absolutely crazy, as a long-time fan, to see the little niche life sim from the GameCube with the goofy looking characters, pulling these numbers and leading Nintendo’s entire pack.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Also, for you long-time Gaffers

LJj383P.gif

Murr

Certainly the right game to distract people from the current situation.
All i know though is, that the physical version is sold out in germany. Will have to wait until 30th of March to order mine. :messenger_pouting:
Impressive numbers for Nintendo.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Almost 400K for Switch hardware!!!

Wow! OMFG! Congrats Nintendo!

Last edited:

Naibel

Those Switch numbers :messenger_face_screaming: I thought they were supply-constrained in Japan ! That's incredible !

Oh man, my Amazon delivery can't come soon enough ! Purchased the game a week ago and will only get it tomorrow. Damn you Corona :messenger_pouting: !

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

Those Switch numbers :messenger_face_screaming: I thought they were supply-constrained in Japan ! That's incredible !

Oh man, my Amazon delivery can't come soon enough ! Purchased the game a week ago and will only get it tomorrow. Damn you Corona :messenger_pouting: !
They held some in reserve, and launched the new animal crossing themed switch for launch.

It is still constrained. What's amazing to me besides that, is this is more then likely the biggest opening ever for any software in Japan, is that this is the biggest week for switch hardware even launch. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Absolutely perfect storm for this game(activity simulator. I refuse to call this a game just like minecraft. I just don't get it. The wife has played this almost non-stop since launch and it blows my mind)

Last edited:
666c566fcde2af36780614f2d5eacfb0.jpg

One of the many things I enjoy about Animal Crossing is that, just like Nintendo overall, it causes non fans to go into a downward spiral of confusion and anger. "Why?", "what do you do in these games?", "they look like shit", "it's designed for small children", "I don't get it", and so and so forth and the thing is, it just keeps trucking until it outsells TLOU2 close to 2:1 and the thing hits fever pitch due to unabashed fury and denial.

It's designed to mock haters and the world just complies.

Top Bottom