• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animals you don't see anymore?

nikolino840

I was watching on YouTube some videos about insects,reptiles and various species
And I was thinking that I haven't seen many species since I was a child ... like fireflies for example

i live in nyc it's mostly pigeons, sparrows, cats and squirrels

red eared slider turtles if you visit lakes, rarely some frogs

every once in a blue i'll see a raccoon

to my fucking surprise (found out around 2015) in some areas we have lizards, italian wall lizards specifically

(in some of the grassier areas we have garter snakes)

images

they're able to survive the icy winters here because these lizards can undergo brumation, which is hibernation but the reptile version yet not all reptiles can do this

winter comes and they just dig underground and fucken hibernate

go down to the subway, plenty of cat sized rats

fireflies in the summer

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I rarely see fireflies anymore, and it's very rare I see a red squirrel either. Butterflies seem to be not as plentiful as they used to be. Not just this year either. I've noticed this for several years around where I live and I live in a semi country area.

Meanwhile fucking wasps have increased around me.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I don’t see many spiders anymore. Possibly due to where I live but I don’t see many huntsman and daddy long legs spiders where as they used to be extremely common in the home.

images

images

I used to have Kangaroos in the backyard I could ride around town but those days are gone.

Last edited:
There's definitely a decline in insects over here (like butterflies), which is very worrying. I honestly believe that mankind has crossed the line with all the wireless technology and stuff that's polluting the air.

Hedgehogs.

Little buggers used to be a common site in the garden or just snuffling around at night but, unlike most other small mammals around, they just never seemed to evolve road sense. You used to see them run over a lot, then just barely ever saw them at all (and when you do these days, they're also run over).

nkarafo

I don’t see many spiders anymore. Possibly due to where I live but I don’t see many huntsman and daddy long legs spiders where as they used to be extremely common in the home.

images
Posting a picture of a huntsman wasn't bad enough. You had to post the one where it bites some skin. :messenger_grimmacing_

Liljagare

Bumblebee bug, used to be all over here, now gone:

20150713-humlebagge-dsc_0479.jpg

Large carpenter bee:

_MG_2900.jpg

Oak Ox bug:

02072015-dsc_8889.jpg

Common smooth newt, used to capture theese little guys all over when we were small, now you dont see them, guess they aren't common anymore:

13810.jpg

Muskox, we never had many in Sweden, but used to see them going fishing up north:
Sofie-web-16-575x431.jpg

Wolverine, meadow hawks, bats of all kinds, and wolves, always used to spot them, on fishing trips, now, not so much:

I fish, and do alot of hiking, pick berries in fall, and mushrooms, hunt, the main thing I've noticed is that the forests are getting quieter, and more lonely, songbirds of all kinds are dropping, badgers, deers are getting to be more rare. I think the only one that is thriving is the wild boar. Down south I don't have to bother with mosquito repellant anymore, though the tics are always present. It's been a pretty drastic change since the 90's. You also notice that new species survive where they didn't use to exists, pine trees in the southern region are struggling and new types of leaf trees are moving northward. Oh, and it's always dry, so f'ing dry, even during fall it never seems to fall enough of rain.

Last edited:

Stimpak

images

images

I used to have Kangaroos in the backyard I could ride around town but those days are gone.

Did that guy let that fucking behemoth crawl on his arm and bite him?

If so, ALPHA or insane

Top Bottom