• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime is Oversaturated with Adolescence Protagonist. Is there No Room for Young Adult / Midlife Characters?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Anime is for children.
🤷‍♂️

Anime is for creeps

mad max thats GIF

GreenAlien

Great Teacher Onizuka is amazing.

There are also quite a lot of others.. Most of them might have been pre 2010 though. I haven't kept up with more recent stuff for the most part.

Last edited:

Durask

Last Airbender was very good. It had a good solid arc. The last good anime I watched.

I was recommended that Attack on Titan show because it's supposedly a mature story. It was just a bunch of nonsense. Of course it's also a bunch of kids fighting stupid shit.
Avatar is not anime, it is a through and through Western proto-woke cartoon with some artwork elements that are borrowed from anime.

Ten_Fold

Yeah I’m tired of the 14 teen then a time skip makes him at LEAST 18, I’m cool if the story started the main character at 18-19 and time skip to late 20’s early 30’s.

pel1300

I hated how they did this to Final Fantasy

We went from thee SNES era where you played as rugged men in their 20s, 30s, and 40s to Cloud (21) to Squall (17) to Zidane (16). Then there was hope with Basch a 36 year old main character but no the idiotic suits at Square changed that to 14 year old Vaan

Fuck Square Enix

Last edited:

O-N-E

I hated how they did this to Final Fantasy

We went from thee SNES era where you played as rugged men in their 20s, 30s, and 40s to Cloud (21) to Squall (17) to Zidane (16). Then there was hope with Basch a 36 year old main character but no the idiotic suits at Square changed that to 14 year old Vaan

Fuck Square Enix

Final_Fantasy_IV.jpg

pel1300

It's the original boxart.

4zpmsfilen161.png
Fine but that doesn't change anything. I don't judge a game by it's cover. I thought it was the remake because I owned the American release which had no characters on the box. Just the title and logo.

I remember an executive at SQ said he didn't feel kids could relate to adult characters as well.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Seems like a multi-faceted problem:
  • Demographics of anime consumers
  • Crunch in anime causing writers to use dependable storylines, art styles, etc. that were profitable in the past
  • Post high school life in Japan being harsh and difficult for some or most (not everyone works 80 hours a week as a salaryman)
  • Waifus - girls are often 14-20 instead of 18-30 in similar media in the West
On the upside I kinda expect Japanese video games to have their characters trend a bit older as sales in the West become 90+% of their sales of console games. The Yakuza series is already way ahead of the ball on this one.

I really do not like how over sexualized they draw the younger characters. It's pretty gross to see something like this

7644vXM.png

This appears to be a child, or a women drawn to look like a child.

I guess it's not anime, but I appreciated there (IMO the best) waifus in Persona 5 being adults. Kawakami and Takemi were fantastic, and it was nice having most of the interactions outside your party be with adults.

TBH, it's always going to be that way because most adults in Japan live miserable lives. Even school life isn't great, but the culture values those years as being the best of people's lives.

I really do not like how over sexualized they draw the younger characters. It's pretty gross to see something like this

7644vXM.png

I've never seen a "child" with M cups.

Women's eyes, unless they are old-old or mature women, are always going to be drawn big. It's a distinct feature of anime - it's supposed to denote immaturity, innocence, etc. Which is a trait that is traditionally attractive in Japan.

Last edited:

O-N-E

7644vXM.png

image.png

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... a weasel.

Last edited:

Durask

Anime is targeted at younger people in general.

However there are quite a few shows with adult protagonists.

The newer ones:

Psycho Pass
Wave! Listen to me.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Knights of Sidonia
Yamato 2199
Youjo Senki
Inuyashiki
Golden Kamuy
I can't understand what my husband is saying
Wotakoi
One Punch Man is mostly adults

Older ones
Eden of the East
Moribito
Spice and Wolf

This is off the top of my head.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Last Airbender was very good. It had a good solid arc. The last good anime I watched.

I was recommended that Attack on Titan show because it's supposedly a mature story. It was just a bunch of nonsense. Of course it's also a bunch of kids fighting stupid shit.
Attack on Titan becomes a bit deeper/ more mature as it goes. Mostly because the author gradually becomes a better writer.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

One reason I soured on anime is because the trope of a meek, skinny teenage male loser suddenly being in the midst of a cadre of hot girls with big boobs was showing up everywhere.

Like WTF?

Also, did they ever do a gay version with the hot big-boobed girls instead replaced by some hunky muscled football jock or something? I guess it wouldn't work cause part of the "charm" is the girls acting girly around the dude...

Amiga

And Planetes (which is quite different and so much better than the anime adaptation)
Planetes-integral.jpg

was gonna mention PlanetES , you have good taste.
would also add:
Kaiji
Psycho Pass
Ghost in the Shell
Gangsta
Gintama (a seinen manga disguised as shonen)

in general adult characters found more in "seinen" type Anime. in "Shonen" type Anime/Manga younger characters are practically mandated by publishers.

Outlier

One of the reasons I don't watch anime, anymore. Either too many characters are teenagers going through growing pains, or young adults, whom behave like teenagers going through growing pains, for that Japanese style humor.

I get it. It makes the characters SEEM interesting/complex, when compared to the average adult drone, but that's just a cultural viewpoint and overdone to death.

Labolas

I think there's an oversaturation problem with anime in general nowadays. Like Dacon Dacon , Shouta Shouta , and others have said there are series with an older protagonist. Hell, there's even a shonen jump with a 30 year old protag. You just have to look deep enough. Ignore the mainstream surface shit because it's trash or is really low effort ie Demon Slayer. Also, I think a lot of us that grew up on older anime have a distaste for modern anime because of the moe culture, the rise of shonen anime, use of clean digital art, and overall change to how anime is presented. And if you ask me, I'll still take the anime that made me a fan, to begin with over the modern shit any day. But there still a lot of quality shows out there, you have to go digging.

Also, try out reading manga, I know a lot of surface level anime fans don't read manga, but imo they're missing out on a lot of good shit. A lot of manga blows mainstream anime out of the water.

Golden Kamuy feels like a reboot on Anime aimed towards adults.. It was refreshing! Non of the high school or kids piloting Mecha shit.

John2290

I know and some of the best genre of games are layered over with this shite, not to mention the freshest and boundary pushing premises. I put up with it, in 2017 when persona came out I just imagined that they were college students and it helped but not enough. I recently bought Fire Emblem Three houses believing it to be a fantasy world and it ends up being another high school student setup. The older I get the less i can tolerate it and even when they mature things up, like with Devil man Cry baby, they still have to angsty teen bullshit.

I'll still put up with it because western media just can't push the boundaries like the Japanese can, especially in Sci-fi. i do wish they'd break the mould though and just age up the characters and get out of that highschool setting in JRPG's. I think of a persona without the school side of things and there is so much room to grow, even if they went as far as university but go even further and create a formula around being a freelance journalist in an open world (like the Yakuza spin off, Judgement) while a competing game sets up another formula around some other job and it keeps esculating... but people don't like change.

At any rate, I find it more odd when adults play games like Animal Crossing or Yoshis crafted world and there is worse things, like that gal gun game which grown men play, if i'm not mistaken Greg Miller and co.

Top Bottom