• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Captain Kuro was still meh IMO. It starts to get good with Arlong and gets really great with the start into the grand line. Just endure it for the meantime. I almost missed a great Anime called Hitman reborn because the first 25 psodes were probably the worst Anime I have ever seen but after that it got really good.
I'm not quick to dismiss a series. Learned a lot from the past. Hated Dark Souls but it ended up being one of my favourite games ever. Ditched Attack of Titan as mentioned after season 2 of the anime and am now glad to have picked it up again. Hell, I even ditched Berserk after the first 2 volumes for a while because I though Griffith was a bit weird and I didn't get the story and now it's my favorite story ever. So.... Ey, it must get amazing eventually, otherwise it wouldn't be running this long. :)

Also, the current arc is already better than what came before so if this pace keeps up (and I guess it will) I'm probably in for a ride.

Dunki

I'm not quick to dismiss a series. Learned a lot from the past. Hated Dark Souls but it ended up being one of my favourite games ever. Ditched Attack of Titan as mentioned after season 2 of the anime and am now glad to have picked it up again. Hell, I even ditched Berserk after the first 2 volumes for a while because I though Griffith was a bit weird and I didn't get the story and now it's my favorite story ever. So.... Ey, it must get amazing eventually, otherwise it wouldn't be running this long. :)

Also, the current arc is already better than what came before so if this pace keeps up (and I guess it will) I'm probably in for a ride.
Personally I think it gets better and better (filler not included) and with Water 7 reaching on of the absolute highs in Anime history at that time. So yes you are in for a ride^^

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Go read JoJo already.

Shounen Jump
new manga: Alice and Taiyo

I usually scoff at newly starting manga on jump but something about this one just clicked with me.
I love it.

X1XG2Vqh.jpg

It's about high school students teaming up to start a band. Right now there are just 2 of them.
Their goal is to become No.1 in the world. (yeah, sure, good luck with that)

I guess noses are returning to Japanese manga,
a lot of them were nearly omitting noses during 2000's and early 2010's.

Last edited:
July 2018 anime
Hataraku Saibou (Cells at Work)

Personally I felt the first episode of this was better than majority of anime from earlier half of this year,
it reached a good balance of violence and comedy,
story is not cringey and characters are not retarded.

hEKygkhl.jpg

DG945UKl.jpg

Red blood cell

ekVGLvRl.jpg

Germ (microbe) vs. White blood cell
LfNSYB6l.jpg

eKXl6oBl.jpg

Macrophage and Monocyte

Last edited:

Typhares

Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen is the best newish manga I've read this month. And it's an isekai!

Description: Urano, a bookworm who had finally found a job as a librarian at a university, was sadly killed shortly after graduating from college. She was reborn as the daughter of a soldier in a world where the literacy rate is low and books were scarce. No matter how much she wanted to read, there were no books around. What is a bookworm to do without any books? Make them, of course. Her goal is to become a librarian! So that she may once again live surrounded by books, she must start by making them herself.

That title is one hell of a mouthful but the pitch seems interesting, I'll give it a go!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yuuna is getting a second figurine. It's ninja girl but for some reason they cut her plot in half. Considering the anime is so far trash and it relies on plot??? Censored as well lol why. Also Drop kick is an abomination. First episode is like 3 volumes in and just says fuck it to introducing the characters properly. It just feels like a watered down version of the manga with random chapters thrown in because fuck you. So yeah it is just Gabriel DropOut at this point without any of its charm. I'll watch two more episodes before I just stick to watching Overlord :/

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Kinda have mixed feelings about all these new services that have stepped on the scene in the last year or two. On the one hand, I like competition. On the other, it jacks up the cost of watching anime since it requires people to sub to 3 or 4 services if they want to watch everything. Some friends have been losing interest in anime since this started and have been watching far less, which is disappointing to hear. =(

Kinda have mixed feelings about all these new services that have stepped on the scene in the last year or two. On the one hand, I like competition. On the other, it jacks up the cost of watching anime since it requires people to sub to 3 or 4 services if they want to watch everything. Some friends have been losing interest in anime since this started and have been watching far less, which is disappointing to hear. =(

Yeah when people talk about competition being good in streaming i wonder if they have any clue what they are talking about. Brcause those services aren't competing with quality of service or prices instead ee get exclusivity wars for content.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Yeah when people talk about competition being good in streaming i wonder if they have any clue what they are talking about. Brcause those services aren't competing with quality of service or prices instead ee get exclusivity wars for content.
Yup, and it's clear that Amazon and Netflix are throwing a ton of money at studios to get the best stuff. What's going to wind up happening is that instead of them buying dominance in the market, they're likely ushering in a return to piracy for anime.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
One Piece anyone?? Oda has been on a fucking roll!!(for years)

I wasn't a fan of Whole Cake Island, and I thought the Fishman Arc was a bit weak - but so far Wano (and what I remember of Dressrosa) were amazing. The past few chapters especially have been killer, between the Reverie and the crew getting to Wano to deal with Kaidou. I am just worried that they are going a bit too fast. It almost feels like things are reaching a conclusion within the next 5-6 years.

Helios

Anyone knows if Jojolion gets any better? I'm around chapter 44 and it's not grabbing me. I think it's a combination of stands not being that interesting outside of Soft and Wet, very few actual stand battles and me coming from SBR which is my favorite part to date.
Started reading the Berserk manga a few months back and I have to say that this has got to be the most insane shit I have ever read. Miura really went all in, did he? I would have never believed it to be possible to have such violence, grotesque scenes, explicit sexual content and humor packed in such an enthralling storyline which such great characters. I am at Berserk max 10 at the moment and had to slow myself down in order to not breeze through too fast. I want to enjoy it, so I only buy one magazine per 2 weeks. I
Do that, I made the mistake of binge reading it and now I have to wait painfully for every hiatus to end.

Last edited:
Boruto anime episode 65.
Holy shit.

This is the standard now for animating kung-fu action.

I don't even like Boruto but I have to respect this episode.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, and it's clear that Amazon and Netflix are throwing a ton of money at studios to get the best stuff. What's going to wind up happening is that instead of them buying dominance in the market, they're likely ushering in a return to piracy for anime.
If you want to support a series buy a manga or a dvd/bluray. It will actually help said series unlike the cents they would get from you using streaming services.

Anyone knows if Jojolion gets any better? I'm around chapter 44 and it's not grabbing me. I think it's a combination of stands not being that interesting outside of Soft and Wet, very few actual stand battles and me coming from SBR which is my favorite part to date.
Yes

Last edited by a moderator:

Shouta

I just caught Boruto 65 and holy smokes, that was insane. There was such a huge difference compared to the movie, which was already well-animated, but they took it to the next level with the TV version. This is easily one of the top episodes I've seen in the series. The animation and storyboarding for the action is amongst my favorite ever, at least coming off the high of the ep.

God I'm so excited to see the second Heaven's Feel movie. The hype is maxed, even though I've played the VN.

Heaven's Feel, Vento Aureo and Overlord season 3. Greatness everywhere.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

God I'm so excited to see the second Heaven's Feel movie. The hype is maxed, even though I've played the VN.

Heaven's Feel, Vento Aureo and Overlord season 3. Greatness everywhere.

I have not watched Overlord. Is it really as great as people say?

I am SO hyped for Heaven's Feel and Vento Aureo though. While UBW remains my favorite route of the original Fate/Stay Night, there were some amazing scenes in HF that I so desperately want to see animated (mostly everything involving Alter). Vento Aureo on the other hand is my second favorite Jojo part right behind Steel Ball Run. I hope that they don't have to censor too much stuff as it is very action heavy/bloody.

I have not watched Overlord. Is it really as great as people say?

It is really great, although it's in Light Novel form it shines. The LN is superb, while I feel like the anime leaves out so much of what's extremely great about the series.

It also has a great intro song. I'd classify the series as Angel Densetsu meets Saga of Tanya the Evil. It has a great sense of humor and self-awareness, while also dealing with a lot of grim stuff at times. The author Maruyama is masterful in dealing with a large cast and in unabashedly doing a lot of world building. And the LN really shows the gamey and DnD aspects of it.
Also, the memes.

Fbh

It is really great, although it's in Light Novel form it shines. The LN is superb, while I feel like the anime leaves out so much of what's extremely great about the series.

It also has a great intro song. I'd classify the series as Angel Densetsu meets Saga of Tanya the Evil. It has a great sense of humor and self-awareness, while also dealing with a lot of grim stuff at times. The author Maruyama is masterful in dealing with a large cast and in unabashedly doing a lot of world building. And the LN really shows the gamey and DnD aspects of it.
Also, the memes.

Is the LN available in English ?

Is the LN available in English ?

The first 7 are currently released in english hardcover, while I think only the first 6 are available digitally. (Season 1 of the anime is vol 1-3, season 2 is vol 4-6 and the current season 3 is vol 7-9)

What I got recommended was to buy the japanese ones (to support the author, as he apparently doesn't get any money from the english ones from what I've heard) and download the fan translations, which worked out well as I couldn't possibly wait for the volumes to get official translations. Fan translations are apparently better as well.

Anyone else watched or read Tatsunoko's Infini-T Force? Basically the MC's from four of Tatsunoko's big titles of the 70s (Gatchaman, Hurricane Polymer, Cashhern and Tekkaman) end up getting pulled into a relatively normal world that's found itself under the eyes of a villainous force and protecting the one that accidentally brought them there.

Udon's got the first two volumes out and I'm really enjoying it. The artwork isn't too bad at all and the artist does a great job with the costumes/suits for our heroes.

The anime though isn't too bad but was a bit of a head scratcher at first. It's basically a different take on the same story but one of its bigger differences is the heroine who gets caught up in this mess, Emi Kaidou, has a major personality difference in that she's going through a depression period which isn't the case in the manga.

The anime is also in the 3-D style that after four episodes hasn't really been bad at all. So far it's been pretty interesting and the way our four heroes handled the meteor in episode 3 was really cool.

Anyone else seen/read this?

Overlord is just too good. Should've probably been top, although it's not even close to the incredible world building and character interaction in the LN. Also the quality is so-so, but that's what you get with these adaptations.

Bow before your new Overlord.

iu

Also, the memes.

167061001499532378_.jpeg

281165001499532376_.jpeg

393472001499532377_.jpeg

9eb8d9877f4f36875fc48dbf90f96388.png

ap2PyWD_700b.jpg

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Rewatching Binbougami Ga rn sucks that never got a S2. Or a proper manga ending. Or that it ever got licensed. :(

Japanese Youtube celebrity spends 450,000 yen (about $4,000 U.S.)
to purchase 1000 volumes of manga in one go.
This the unboxing video.

Sorry there are no subs.
Please excuse his silly/idiotic antics.
His target audience is elementary school kids in Japan.

0:14 "Do you like manga ?"
0:37 "When I was a kid, I liked manga but hated books that had no pictures, so I couldn't read Harry Potter books"
1:16 "I already have about 300 ~ 400 volumes back at my parents' house, besides this purchase"

1:56 Boxes getting stacked
2:30 "It cost me 450,000 yen to buy 1000 volumes. That gave me back 50,000 yen (about $450) worth of reward points."

3:00 First box gets opened

4:00 "There are 2 groupings of books here, the ones that I already liked, and the ones recommended by my friends."

4:35 This single manga series has 200 volumes. (85,936 yen = about $770)

5:05 "Some series or volumes were out of print so the supplier had to offer me used copies."

8:54 Last box gets opened. It's that manga series with 200 volumes again, they wouldn't all fit into 1 box

9:50 so many manga books on the floor

10:26 "I forgot to open 1 box."

11:25 Filling the bookshelves

13:16 "There's still room for 100 more."

Last edited:

Fbh

Anyone read the newest promised neverland?

So that Andrew guy was talking to them, right? He was tapping on his leg while talking on the phones

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Anyone read the newest promised neverland?

So that Andrew guy was talking to them, right? He was tapping on his leg while talking on the phones

Maybe? I was thinking he was talking to someone else, maybe the person we saw in the forest near the end of that page. Reminded me of one of the demons they met very early on when they first escaped. I can't remember her name though.

Overall I really loved that chapter. Hyped for the anime too. Hope they don't get too much worthless filler like Black Clover had so early on in the story.

Fbh

Maybe? I was thinking he was talking to someone else, maybe the person we saw in the forest near the end of that page. Reminded me of one of the demons they met very early on when they first escaped. I can't remember her name though.

Overall I really loved that chapter. Hyped for the anime too. Hope they don't get too much worthless filler like Black Clover had so early on in the story.

Yeah you are right, might have been talking to the other guy. It seems it was him who hid their tracks so maybe they are working together

I'm looking forward to the anime but I fear they might have quite a bit of filler. I like the manga but it's rather slow and it has several chapters that in animated form can be summarised in like 5 minutes. Unless they make it like attack on Titan and just mostly focus on the core story and take long breaks in between seasons

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Overlord is just too good. Should've probably been top, although it's not even close to the incredible world building and character interaction in the LN. Also the quality is so-so, but that's what you get with these adaptations.

Bow before your new Overlord.

iu

Also, the memes.

167061001499532378_.jpeg

281165001499532376_.jpeg

393472001499532377_.jpeg

9eb8d9877f4f36875fc48dbf90f96388.png

ap2PyWD_700b.jpg
You missed one of my favotites

size-64-valul-oz-s-heinz-ooal-gown-1869-m-32897245.png

Shouta

Japanese Youtube celebrity spends 450,000 yen (about $4,000 U.S.)
to purchase 1000 volumes of manga in one go.
This the unboxing video.

Sorry there are no subs.
Please excuse his silly/idiotic antics.
His target audience is elementary school kids in Japan.

0:14 "Do you like manga ?"
0:37 "When I was a kid, I liked manga but hated books that had no pictures, so I couldn't read Harry Potter books"
1:16 "I already have about 300 ~ 400 volumes back at my parents' house, besides this purchase"

1:56 Boxes getting stacked
2:30 "It cost me 450,000 yen to buy 1000 volumes. That gave me back 50,000 yen (about $450) worth of reward points."

3:00 First box gets opened

4:00 "There are 2 groupings of books here, the ones that I already liked, and the ones recommended by my friends."

4:35 This single manga series has 200 volumes. (85,936 yen = about $770)

5:05 "Some series or volumes were out of print so the supplier had to offer me used copies."

8:54 Last box gets opened. It's that manga series with 200 volumes again, they wouldn't all fit into 1 box

9:50 so many manga books on the floor

10:26 "I forgot to open 1 box."

11:25 Filling the bookshelves

13:16 "There's still room for 100 more."

That's Hikakin, I think he's the most popular youtuber in Japan. He's kind of helped popularize being on youtube over there, as I recall.

Just to give a full breakdown of what manga he got:

Naruto (72 Vols)
Kingdom (50 Vols)
Attack on Titan (25 Vols)
GTO (12 Vols)
Tokyo Ghoul (14 Vols)
Tokyo Ghoul:re (15 Vols)
March comes in like a Lion (13 Vol)
Kochikame (200 Vols)
The Seven Deadly Sins (31 Vol) (Used)
Hunter x Hunter (35 Vols) (Used)
Seikimatsu Leader Takeshi (24 Vols)(Used)
One piece (89 Vols)
My Hero Academia (18 Vols)
Detective Conan (94 Vols)
Doraemon (45 Vols)
Doraemon+ (6 Vols)
Slam Dunk (31 Vols)
Dragon Ball (42 Vols)
Dragon Ball Super (6 Vols)
Haikyuu!! (31 Vols)
One Punch Man (16 Vols)
Baki series (131 Vols)

That's exactly, 1000. I think I had this much manga at one point, maybe more, but I pruned the collection down because it was getting too unwieldy. I might use the site he mentioned to get full sets of series in the future though. I've been looking for something like that.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
D-Frag! continues being weird/funny. S2 never.
ijybFQb.png

1i3zl9b.png

Of4NF7R.png

hDcm297.png

aD0GGJV.png

Fbh

Lol what? Epica made covers of Attack On Titan songs?

I'm not quite sold (and always hated the guttural bits in Epica songs). But it's still pretty cool

Last edited:

NahaNago

I really wish that dragon ball had more spin off anime considering how many alien species, worlds, and universes it has. If it was based off more of a weak human character and had him learning new styles to defeat different creatures would be nice instead of this power up the saiyans do every time. I do wonder if the world could go as crazy as One Piece since they do have the Baba and Dr. Slump in that universe. I could just be wishing for another anime based on the dragon quest series.

joombo

Banned
I'm fond of sentimental dramas. These are a few of my favorites.
  1. Ano Hana. (Literally THE best anime in that category I watched, period.
  2. Erased
  3. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
  4. Angel Beats
  5. Charlotte

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fond of sentimental dramas. These are a few of my favorites.
  1. Ano Hana. (Literally THE best anime in that category I watched, period.
  2. Erased
  3. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
  4. Angel Beats
  5. Charlotte
Violet Evergarden?

Top Bottom