• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters

petran79

Banned
I preferred the manga version of Erased. Anime rushed things and skipped some scenes

I'm fond of sentimental dramas. These are a few of my favorites.
  1. Ano Hana. (Literally THE best anime in that category I watched, period.
  2. Erased
  3. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
  4. Angel Beats
  5. Charlotte

My favorite remains Koi Kaze and for a strange reason when it comes to lighter romance, Sentimental Journey

TTOOLL

Tell me if this link is forbidden here and I'll remove it ;)

HOLY FUCK this panel gave me them GOOSEBUMPS!

https://readms.net/r/boruto/026/5295/33

Reading Naruto back then was such a rollercoaster and it ended up in a pretty low note for me, but being able to see the main character in such position is more than I asked for. This is liking watching a sequence of a movie that ends with the good guy getting it all, I always wanted to see the "good" part afterward.

As for the story itself, it's also better than I expected.

hecatomb

Banned
I started watching Grappler Baki 2018, though I can only watch it on a free streaming site, cause I'm not getting netflix. It takes place after Baki anime series. Fights are a lot more brutal, since they are fighting killers this time.

Attack on titan season 3 is slow, its pretty mediocre compared to season 1 and 2.

my hero academia still is running strong.

can't wait for Jojo part 5 and one punch man season 2.

Fbh

Tell me if this link is forbidden here and I'll remove it ;)

HOLY FUCK this panel gave me them GOOSEBUMPS!

https://readms.net/r/boruto/026/5295/33

Reading Naruto back then was such a rollercoaster and it ended up in a pretty low note for me, but being able to see the main character in such position is more than I asked for. This is liking watching a sequence of a movie that ends with the good guy getting it all, I always wanted to see the "good" part afterward.

As for the story itself, it's also better than I expected.

Yeah that was pretty cool.

Although if you go back to chapter 1 it looks like things are definitely going to go South for Konoha/Naruto

Shouta

Naruto, as a franchise, is really interesting because I think it's find its niche again. Growing the cast up, progressing them, passing it on to a new generation of ninja, and then thrusting the story into a new age has worked wonders. For the old cast, it's wonderful seeing how their growth in their series has lead to how they are as adults. Not only that, seeing them take on the responsibility as adults is so refreshing for a series. For the new cast, giving them characters with real history to bounce off of and to learn from really helps them establish who they are. it's done really well for Boruto and Sarada for sure but the rest of the new gen kids are doing pretty well even if they are pretty close to their parents in some cases. It still hasn't hit the highs of Naruto yet but it's been steadily enjoyable. Episode 65 of Boruto was siiiick.

Edit: Episode 70....Guy doing a dynamic entry in a wheelchair. I'm dead.

Last edited:

Helios

For those interested, Chapter 357 of Berserk has been released(and fan-translated). No date for when the next one will be released.
Still no Casca. God damn it Miura.

hecatomb

Banned
Forgot to mention, I bought the Mai-hime bluray collection, it comes with the dvd collection also, which is around $45-50 bucks online.
51Xi2FIuBIL._SX342_.jpg

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The Faraway Paladin is fucking good.

ed

Last edited by a moderator:

Shouta

The Faraway Paladin is fucking good.

Try not to post links to manga and anime sites aside from the legit ones (CR, etc). It's been a soft rule for a long time, mostly to keep the forum out of issues on that front. A few images are usually fine though.

The Faraway Paladin is pretty interesting. It's pretty high on the list of series that I've read that have isekai set-ups but I've also read a lot of them so that list is actually long.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Try not to post links to manga and anime sites aside from the legit ones (CR, etc). It's been a soft rule for a long time, mostly to keep the forum out of issues on that front. A few images are usually fine though.

The Faraway Paladin is pretty interesting. It's pretty high on the list of series that I've read that have isekai set-ups but I've also read a lot of them so that list is actually long.
Its not published (manga) didn't know it was a rule.

Ya I bought it, its actually cheaper the anime legends ver which is only DVD and not Bluray. This comes with both.

This is what Jojo Part 5 is going to look like.

Its not gay enough

needs to be gayer

Last edited by a moderator:

NahaNago

Ya I bought it, its actually cheaper the anime legends ver which is only DVD and not Bluray. This comes with both.

This is what Jojo Part 5 is going to look like.

I think I've only seen the first season on part of the second season of Jojo. I haven't really bought any anime series since probably since 2 black fridays ago. I mostly stick with anime movies these days. I blame the 3 full boxes of unopened anime series. I do want to collect the sailor moon series since that was always on my list but I never did in the past since the old dvd's were like $160 and up but now we have blu-ray.

hecatomb

Banned
I think I've only seen the first season on part of the second season of Jojo. I haven't really bought any anime series since probably since 2 black fridays ago. I mostly stick with anime movies these days. I blame the 3 full boxes of unopened anime series. I do want to collect the sailor moon series since that was always on my list but I never did in the past since the old dvd's were like $160 and up but now we have blu-ray.
You can watch all of Jojo for free on cruncyroll, or some other anime streaming site.

NahaNago

You can watch all of Jojo for free on cruncyroll, or some other anime streaming site.

Hmm, I'll probably start since the only thing I've been watching really is overlord. I am watching baki off and on but that is about it. I was suppose start my journey to watch all of star trek but that will take some time.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
TBF If you are watching Crunchyroll you might as well just download em off other pirate sites :p support anime.

hecatomb

Banned
ya I wouldn't give money to CR, they'll just take that money for their SJW animated show called (high guardian spice) they are working on, instead of giving money to actual anime companies.

Last edited:

LordPezix

Ya'll cop that free DBZ season one off of Microsoft?

I am re-watching it and shit man. Some episodes animations are pretty legit for considering how old it is.

hecatomb

Banned
I have all of DBZ on dvd boxset. What I really want is fate/stay night unlimited blade works TV dvd set, not the movie. and Fate/zero

Last edited:
Yeah, that animated show was marketed terrible. Furthermore, Crunchyroll is heavily specialized in anime, with some drama and manga on the side. With Netflix having more and more anime, they need to cement their position as the best place for anime, meaning they'll have to ensure a better catalogue. Spending on original shows is a good idea, as shown by Netflix, but since anime is their specialization they need to ensure that whatever they create is japanese as fuck. Instead they've gone on some "diversity" rambling with a bunch of white women hilariously enough, completely destroying any chance the show has at being a show, now instead being overshadowed by the creators instead.
Then you have the fact that the show itself doesn't look to be what anime fans tend to look for, which is well, things that look more like anime and not western cartoons aping anime.

What Crunchyroll should've done is to instead focus on creating a more mature series, that's heavily influenced by anime and that looks very anime, possibly aping the style of 80/90s anime to get attention. Then if they wanted to focus on something, it would be about celebrating japanese culture, the influence of anime, while also subverting the tropes when appropriate.
Heck, had they been smart they'd do an isekai where you'd fuse the japanese style of animation with western tropes and western interpretations of japanese tropes. Or they'd shop around in Japan for a script and hire a studio there. (For some reason I imagine that paying animator in San Francisco might be more expensive than the slavering I've heard about japanese animators, though I might be wrong)
There were so many better options than that shit.

Shouta

Its not published (manga) didn't know it was a rule.

Its not gay enough

needs to be gayer

Well, it is a soft rule so it's not gonna be written down anywhere. =P

The Faraway Paladin's novels seem to be published in English so it would be interesting to see if the manga will get that down the line.

I have all of DBZ on dvd boxset. What I really want is fate/stay night unlimited blade works TV dvd set, not the movie. and Fate/zero

Ugh, I'm a bit conflicted about Fate/Zero. Did terribly with Saber and furthermore with Kotomine as well. Then again, Heaven's Feel is where everyone learned to love Kotomine Kirei.
They even softened up Kiritsugu, who was even crueler than they portrayed him, but perhaps that was done for people to not to outright consider him a villain.
Then again, it has numerous inconsistencies and it's kind of considered a slightly different timeline.

NahaNago

Or they'd shop around in Japan for a script and hire a studio there. (For some reason I imagine that paying animator in San Francisco might be more expensive than the slavering I've heard about japanese animators, though I might be wrong)
There were so many better options than that shit.

Yeah, I was thinking it would have been cheaper I thought to just have a Japanese studio make a series for them. Like you mentioned earlier, I would think that animators are more expensive in the U.S. Plus the whole gender issue.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Yeah, I was thinking it would have been cheaper I thought to just have a Japanese studio make a series for them. Like you mentioned earlier, I would think that animators are more expensive in the U.S. Plus the whole gender issue.
The whole reason they wanted to make the show is cause of SJW issues, which I don't think Japan would ever make a anime like that. They also were taking money from people who were subscribers and taking their money without asking and putting that money into that crappy show. The backlash was pretty big and they had to shut down the forums about anything to do with that show.

Last edited:

NahaNago

The whole reason they wanted to make the show is cause of SJW issues, which I don't think Japan would ever make a anime like that. They also were taking money from people who were subscribers and taking their money without asking and putting that money into that crappy show. The backlash was pretty big and they had to shut down the forums about anything to do with that show.

I guess I'm not too freaked out about it since it seems like it is just them trying to expand and it is kinda weird telling a business where to put it's money that it has made.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I guess I'm not too freaked out about it since it seems like it is just them trying to expand and it is kinda weird telling a business where to put it's money that it has made.
The problem is no one asked for this show, and their subs also want to support anime companies like shonen jump for example, they didn't know their money was going into this show. If they wanted to make this show then fine, just don't take peoples money without telling them what you are doing with it. Now that I know CR is going to take peoples money and not tell them what they are going to do with it, I'm never going to give them money ever.

Yeah, while it's a retarded mistake in their approach and completely missing what their customer base want, the general strategy of original content and using money they get in for this, is completely understandable. It's up to the customers themselves to drop the service if the company don't listen to feedback and hurts the value of the service.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is anybody else watching Revue Starlight? Because I absolutely LOVING this show, the fight scenes has better animation and better choreographed than most Shonen shows.
revuestarlight000.jpg

s11.gif

Last edited:

Danjin44

Not seen it, can you sell me on it and explain the premise?
Well there is talking Giraffe who pits girls against each other so who can become top star and fights are like really well done choreographed performance rather than actual fight.
h0f9bo635fb11.gif

I know how this sounds but just watch couple eps before you judge. It currently favourite show and I'm liking more than banana fish and I like that show a lot too.

Last edited:

NahaNago

The problem is no one asked for this show, and their subs also want to support anime companies like shonen jump for example, they didn't know their money was going into this show. If they wanted to make this show then fine, just don't take peoples money without telling them what you are doing with it. Now that I know CR is going to take peoples money and not tell them what they are going to do with it, I'm never going to give them money ever.

That doesn't really make sense to me though. That is the thing they didn't take your money and a business doesn't need to tell it's customers what it does with it's money. You paid for anime and you got that anime. Like seriously does your grocery store need to tell you if they are going to start selling furniture or does the restaurant need to tell you that they are going to add a vegan option in the menu before adding it in.

Yeah, while it's a retarded mistake in their approach and completely missing what their customer base want, the general strategy of original content and using money they get in for this, is completely understandable. It's up to the customers themselves to drop the service if the company don't listen to feedback and hurts the value of the service.

the biggest issue I see is implementation. Maybe don't make a western cartoon your first foray into original animated content in an anime streaming service. They unfortunately seem to be going the get woke go broke route.
They should have let the animated trailer speak for itself instead of having a bunch of folk talk it up. Plus limit the number of people shown to just the director and only show the others responsible for the making of it after you have released it.

Well there is talking Giraffe who pits girls against each other so who can become top star and fights are like really well done choreographed performance rather than actual fight.
h0f9bo635fb11.gif

I know how this sounds but just watch couple eps before you judge. It currently favourite show and I'm liking more than banana fish and I like that show a lot too.

Really liked the animation, so I'll be sure to check it out. So it's basically an idol show ala Love Live or Idolmaster, but done as a fighting series? (and with a hint of mahou shoujo?)

Last edited:

Danjin44

Really liked the animation, so I'll be sure to check it out. So it's basically an idol show ala Love Live or Idolmaster, but done as a fighting series? (and with a hint of mahou shoujo?)
I say its kind of closer to Revolutionary Girl Utena.

hecatomb

Banned
That doesn't really make sense to me though. That is the thing they didn't take your money and a business doesn't need to tell it's customers what it does with it's money. You paid for anime and you got that anime. Like seriously does your grocery store need to tell you if they are going to start selling furniture or does the restaurant need to tell you that they are going to add a vegan option in the menu before adding it in.

the biggest issue I see is implementation. Maybe don't make a western cartoon your first foray into original animated content in an anime streaming service. They unfortunately seem to be going the get woke go broke route.
They should have let the animated trailer speak for itself instead of having a bunch of folk talk it up. Plus limit the number of people shown to just the director and only show the others responsible for the making of it after you have released it.
Seeing how they got a ton of backlash, and having to shut down their forums, it seems like people didn't agree with them

NahaNago

Seeing how they got a ton of backlash, and having to shut down their forums, it seems like people didn't agree with them

We get backlash for everything these days and I don't really get where you going.

edit: need sleep 5 hours past my usual bed time.

A large portion of the Crunchyroll subscribers only pay that monthly fee to support the industry. There's many other ways to watch anime that don't involve your wallet, and offer higher quality video and a larger library, among various other conveniences. I used to subscribe to them, but cancelled it when I found out some of their shows weren't available for streaming in my country. I ain't paying the same amount for a smaller library.

Anyway, people are gonna get pissed when the money they put into this company to support their beloved industry, starts wasting it on an awful-looking western cartoon written by feminists. That anger is exactly the response we've seen.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
We get backlash for everything these days and I don't really get where you going.

edit: need sleep 5 hours past my usual bed time.
So do you work for CR? Its a problem cause people didn't ask for that show, I don't know why you don't understand that, it would be like going get a bite to eat a burger place and ordering a burger but instead they give a taco, and you didn't ask for that.

theclaw135

Banned

I'm too uninterested in streaming to pay attention to how the backlash is unfolding.
Simuldub blurays all the way. (fat chance, but I can dream)

Sakura

Can someone explain to me how shows like Hyakuren get made every season? Has somebody been taking the families of these animators hostage or something?
Is the adaptation good? I've been meaning to play the games myself but I was wondering how well they've done the anime.
The anime is OK. For 0 they change up a number of things, but they seem to be working within the restraints of the anime format well enough.
I really like the art style in the first Steins Gate, but they don't quite capture it as well in the anime.

Shouta

Can someone explain to me how shows like Hyakuren get made every season? Has somebody been taking the families of these animators hostage or something?

The anime is OK. For 0 they change up a number of things, but they seem to be working within the restraints of the anime format well enough.
I really like the art style in the first Steins Gate, but they don't quite capture it as well in the anime.

I think I was reading that the current industry has the process so down that they can produce a ton of stuff per season for cheap and even if it's a dud, it won't hurt very much. That would explain why something like Hyakuren got made, lol.

Top Bottom