• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Original audio is the intended experience in all forms of media. Make no mistake. However there are usually other options for the people that don't like captions.

Doom85

Original audio is the intended experience in all forms of media.

What if the creator/showrunner/director prefers a foreign dub? Should it still be the 'intended experience" or is that now an exception?

Also, I know many anime fans who swear on subs because of the "they're Japanese people so they should speak Japanese" angle but then something comes along like Baccano! and they do switch to the English dub to be consistent.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Memories 🤣, good anime, didnt mind the dub.
It is one of the few shows I could enjoy with dubs.
Then there is this

What if the creator/showrunner/director prefers a foreign dub? Should it still be the 'intended experience" or is that now an exception?
If that was the case then they would have never paid Japanese people to voice their shows. They would have made said show on their preferred language. Maybe even Latin the superior language. :messenger_ghost:
Also, I know many anime fans who swear on subs because of the "they're Japanese people so they should speak Japanese" angle but then something comes along like Baccano! and they do switch to the English dub to be consistent.
If I'm watching a tv show from Germany guess what language I'm gonna play. I think people that are overtly defensive over this are people who only know English or their first language is English. I'm not saying you but in particularly this has been my experience over the years. Whenever I speak to foreign anime/film viewers they vastly prefer the original audio and will never touch the dub. Or like Spanish DB dubs... Like I said before you have a choice to watch it dubbed if you want so I don't see the problem. Options are good but I personally will take native audio 99% of the time since it just sounds more natural to me.

Then there is this
I still prefer to hear Za Wardo wrawrawrawrawraaaaa.
If that was the case then they would have never paid Japanese people to voice their shows. They would have made said show on their preferred language. Maybe even Latin the superior language. :messenger_ghost:
Some directors choose their own voice dubers, still suits their vision.
If I'm watching a tv show from Germany guess what language I'm gonna play. I think people that are overtly defensive over this are people who only know English or their first language is English. I'm not saying you but in particularly this has been my experience over the years. Whenever I speak to foreign anime/film viewers they vastly prefer the original audio and will never touch the dub. Or like Spanish DB dubs... Like I said before you have a choice to watch it dubbed if you want so I don't see the problem. Options are good but I personally will take native audio 99% of the time since it just sounds more natural to me.
I do prefer to watch original but sometimes there are a few gems, sadly still under 1% tho.

Fbh

Then there is this

It's not the real ZA WARUDO if it's pronounced correctly </3

In how many cases does that apply though? Have there been many anime creators/directors actually coming out and saying the foreign dub is the "intended experience"?

As for the other thing, I can actually see the reasoning behind it. Personally I still stick to original audio if it has a clearly "anime" visual style (which Bacanno does, IMO), but for something like Metal Gear or Vanquish which go for a more realistic look I do stick to dubs.

-Minsc-

Then there is this

From that one scene I say the English dub worked quite well. I like the Japnaese version more because it's the first I saw and it contains the untranslatable use of English. The dub is still great in it's own right. Well, except for the narrator (3/10).

To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts - Episode 7

A very moving episode.

manfestival

Sure thing my man. Coming your way!

- The Promised Neverland
- Vinland Saga (ongoing)
- Fire Force (ongoing)
- Dororo
- Dr. Stone (ongoing)
- Kakegurui
- Drifters
- Haikyuu! (Volleyball)
- Kuroko no basket (basketball)
- Baccano!
- Death Parade
- Hajime no Ippo (boxing)
- Megalo Box (boxing)
- Cowboy bebop
- Erased
- Gangsta
- Golden Kamuy
- Steins;Gate & Steins;Gate 0
- Joker Game
- JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
- Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
- Made in Abyss
- One Piece
- One Punch Man
- Space Dandy
- Psycho-Pass
- Rainbow
- RE:Zero

I mixed new with a bit old. If you want more just hit me up at anytime bruv
There always needs to be a disclaimer around any recommendation for One Piece lol. Great list though. I haven't seen a few of those but I have been meaning to watch some like gangsta, baccano, and steins gate.

I am trying to get into Bem but the show feels like.... such a disappointment. Everything looks so interesting yet they are piecing everything together... poorly. Maybe the wealth of quality shows lately has thrown me off?

Vinland Saga is S tier so far.
Ennon No shoubotai(fire force) A-
Bem- C(show is painfully average)
To the abandoned Beasts - B-(also not feeling this show either but it is much more interesting than Bem)
Dr Stone- B
Kimetsu No Yaiba(Demon Slayer) - A+

Sakura

Also, for the record, the Japanese directors of Cowboy Bebop and FLCL loved the English dubs for their respective shows. Just FYI in case the thread starts devolving into anyone claiming dubs are always inferior to be some "fact" or bullshit like that.
You can literally just be speaking English around Japanese people and they will praise you for sounding so cool, so I'm not sure what that matters.
Raws only for me.
Dubbed anime is voiced by third rate actors (notice how they rarely have done work that isn't a dub), and it's not even just the voice acting that is the problem, but awkward lines and dialogue, often because of poor translation/having to match speech times in the anime.

Carna

Banned
Apart of the reason I dislike dubs is the environment, the same group of voice actors for everything, and funi's group of non-actors who were nowhere in life until Funi picked them off the street.

Also what's the purpose of Toonami anymore, Can't they just make an anime channel on tv?

Doom85

You can literally just be speaking English around Japanese people and they will praise you for sounding so cool, so I'm not sure what that matters.

By that argument, I can just flip the words "English" and "Japanese" and boom. Often I think anime fans just assume they know how good a Japanese performance is when in reality they don't necessarily know if the pacing, inflection, emotional pitch, etc. is appropriate for the language. English and Japanese don't necessarily work in the same way in that category.

It's why the original English dub of Resident Evil 1 was such a (hilarious) trainwreck. The director was Japanese and it was likely the case that all those "classic" lines that sounded so awkward in English due to the bizarre pacing and inflection actually totally worked to him in a Japanese language, but since obviously they were speaking English it sounds bad (albiet hilarious).

I just think anime fans need to realize they're kinda making some assumptions when they just "know" how good a seiyuu's performance is. Unless they are actually fluent in Japanese, usually it comes off as they're being ignorant in some key differences in the way the two languages are utilized.

I'm not trying to be mean, but if we can act so dismissive about a Japanese person's view on an English dub, then it's only fair to be as dismissive of an English person's view on a Japanese dub. Otherwise it just comes off as arrogant, like one is implying that English people just somehow know more about the Japanese language than the other way around (even though I feel confident in guessing that the percentage of people in Japan who know a decent amount of English is quite higher than the percentage of people in the US who know a decent amount of Japanese).

Last edited:

-Minsc-

I was about to reply with the general idea of the below quote.

By that argument, I can just flip the words "English" and "Japanese" and boom. Often I think anime fans just assume they know how good a Japanese performance is when in reality they don't necessarily know if the pacing, inflection, emotional pitch, etc. is appropriate for the language. English and Japanese don't necessarily work in the same way in that category.

Aside from first view order, a reason I generally like the Japanese versions more is due to not knowing how good or bad it is. Since I'm a typically a sub person there must be some magic which goes on in my head to interlace the Japanese voices with the English subtitles.

petran79

Banned
It is funny if you consider that Japanese have an obsession where you need to be a native English speaker to be able to teach English in Japan.

I've always found it strange when stories introduce an "enemy" in the first couple episodes, then immediately relegate them to mooks in favor of some more human threat.

Fire Force looks like it just did that ("Oh, we fight Infernals, but we also fight other pyrokinetics!"). Reminds me of Claymore where Yoma were built up to be horrifying and dangerous then immediately dropped in favor of Awakened Beings.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've always found it strange when stories introduce an "enemy" in the first couple episodes, then immediately relegate them to mooks in favor of some more human threat.

Fire Force looks like it just did that ("Oh, we fight Infernals, but we also fight other pyrokinetics!"). Reminds me of Claymore where Yoma were built up to be horrifying and dangerous then immediately dropped in favor of Awakened Beings.
And then everybody died!

And then everybody died!

I don't get the reference.

I just think it is odd to introduce some major antagonist or mechanic the story revolves around then immediately move to something else.

I can understand moving to something more interesting after giving the current thing development and seeing it as a dead end, like Jojo does going Hamon to Stands. But how strange would it have been for Will to teach Jonathan Hamon, then when up against Tarkus suddenly whip out a Stand and drop Hamon from then on?

Eh, bad example. That would have been pretty cool. But maybe you get the point?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I just think it is odd to introduce some major antagonist or mechanic the story revolves around then immediately move to something else.

I can understand moving to something more interesting after giving the current thing development and seeing it as a dead end, like Jojo does going Hamon to Stands. But how strange would it have been for Will to teach Jonathan Hamon, then when up against Tarkus suddenly whip out a Stand and drop Hamon from then on?

Eh, bad example. That would have been pretty cool. But maybe you get the point?
Part 7 Spoilers
Gyro had a placebo like stand for most of the series and beat many stand users with hamon v2.

Sakura

It's why the original English dub of Resident Evil 1 was such a (hilarious) trainwreck. The director was Japanese and it was likely the case that all those "classic" lines that sounded so awkward in English due to the bizarre pacing and inflection actually totally worked to him in a Japanese language, but since obviously they were speaking English it sounds bad (albiet hilarious).

I just think anime fans need to realize they're kinda making some assumptions when they just "know" how good a seiyuu's performance is. Unless they are actually fluent in Japanese, usually it comes off as they're being ignorant in some key differences in the way the two languages are utilized.

I'm not trying to be mean, but if we can act so dismissive about a Japanese person's view on an English dub, then it's only fair to be as dismissive of an English person's view on a Japanese dub. Otherwise it just comes off as arrogant, like one is implying that English people just somehow know more about the Japanese language than the other way around (even though I feel confident in guessing that the percentage of people in Japan who know a decent amount of English is quite higher than the percentage of people in the US who know a decent amount of Japanese).
Fortunately I am fluent in Japanese, and my argument was from my perspective because I can only speak for myself.
My point was merely that just because a director said he likes the English dub, isn't evidence that the English voice acting is good, especially when you consider the obsession with the English language that exists there.

Labolas

Try watching Dr. Stone and Demon Slayer and I could not get into them. They both felt very shonen-y. That's a complete turn off for me. I don't think I really the action shonen genre on a whole that much. They feel the same. With a few exceptions such as Yu Yu Hakusho, FMA, and Jojo.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

I burned myself out binging the Dr. Stone manga so I'm dropping that. Demon Slayer is fun, though I may drop it. I've seen enough shounen over the years so it's OK if they are blending together. Sometimes it's just time to move on.

edit:

Seems to be more popular among Russian speakers, but this is the best Evangelion fan made video I've seen

Communist Evangelion? Cool video. For some reason it made me recall the early days of well done AMV's.

Damn, I'm old.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone! Looking for anime recommendations. My favourite all time is Banana Fish, maybe you can suggest smth similar?
Flip Flappers

Mao sama is the worst fucking shit to exist in the last 10000 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Man, at first I thought you meant Hataraku Maou-sama! (The Devil is a Part-timer!), and I was like, "damn, I thought it was pretty good, but even if you disliked it, worst ever? Seems a bit much."

But I realized you must have meant this: https://myanimelist.net/anime/38297/Maou-sama_Retry
I mean Part timer turned out pretty bad story wise but that was after the anime which was a nice watch. Retry is just so low brow and self insert mastarbatory that you can scoff at it when reading it but the anime also looks terrible and is badly animated (also some characters redesigns). Which doesn't help its non story and cartoonish characters. We should ban LN adaptations in general. You should watch it, everything else you watch afterwards will be amazing in comparison this season. Even Cop Craft!

manfestival

Just finished To the Abandoned Beasts episode 5. Liza is my favorite character. I think I will just watch the show for her. Thanks
Can't wait to see the future cosplay on this one lol

You lot are sleeping on Fire Force aren’t you?
NOPE
I posted about it in here earlier. I am really digging the show. I did see some negative sentiment over the fan service aspects of the show. I do feel it is a nice spin on things too.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
NOPE
I posted about it in here earlier. I am really digging the show. I did see some negative sentiment over the fan service aspects of the show. I do feel it is a nice spin on things too.
I’m having lots of fun with it. DP proved to me that they’re aren’t only a JJBA studio

Gargus

Banned
Anyone have some suggestions on anime to watch? Generally I prefer movies instead of series.

Some of my favorites are......

Devil man

Vampire hunter d

Dominion tank police.

Fist of the north star.

Akira.

Demon city shinjuku.

Ninja scroll.

8 man after.

Angel cop.

Lily cat.

I tried the new devil man on netflix but the art style bothered me so much I couldn't finish it.

Mista

Banned
Anyone have some suggestions on anime to watch? Generally I prefer movies instead of series.

Some of my favorites are......

Devil man

Vampire hunter d

Dominion tank police.

Fist of the north star.

Akira.

Demon city shinjuku.

Ninja scroll.

8 man after.

Angel cop.

Lily cat.

I tried the new devil man on netflix but the art style bothered me so much I couldn't finish it.
Sure check this out:

Sure thing my man. Coming your way!

- The Promised Neverland
- Vinland Saga (ongoing)
- Fire Force (ongoing)
- Dororo
- Dr. Stone (ongoing)
- Kakegurui
- Drifters
- Haikyuu! (Volleyball)
- Kuroko no basket (basketball)
- Baccano!
- Death Parade
- Hajime no Ippo (boxing)
- Megalo Box (boxing)
- Cowboy bebop
- Erased
- Gangsta
- Golden Kamuy
- Steins;Gate & Steins;Gate 0
- Joker Game
- JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
- Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
- Made in Abyss
- One Piece
- One Punch Man
- Space Dandy
- Psycho-Pass
- Rainbow
- RE:Zero

I mixed new with a bit old. If you want more just hit me up at anytime bruv

Might not be able to contribute much here as I never watch animes that are currently airing since I can't take waiting a whole week for a new episode.

Damn, I'm old.
I still remember that one too!

But my fav will always be "A Total Waste of 6min 35sec".

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I mean Part timer turned out pretty bad story wise but that was after the anime which was a nice watch. Retry is just so low brow and self insert mastarbatory that you can scoff at it when reading it but the anime also looks terrible and is badly animated (also some characters redesigns). Which doesn't help its non story and cartoonish characters. We should ban LN adaptations in general. You should watch it, everything else you watch afterwards will be amazing in comparison this season. Even Cop Craft!
Do you mean this for the anime? Cause the LNs are damn good.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today I decided to rewatch Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. While I'm waiting for the commercials to end (I don't have premium crunchy roll membership), I just happen to remember someone mentioning that the movie is coming out soon. I google it and find out that in less than a month it's showing at a theater near me, so I check ticket availability and was able to get a good seat. Score!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Today I decided to rewatch Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. While I'm waiting for the commercials to end (I don't have premium crunchy roll membership), I just happen to remember someone mentioning that the movie is coming out soon. I google it and find out that in less than a month it's showing at a theater near me, so I check ticket availability and was able to get a good seat. Score!
It was one of the best anime airing a few seasons ago. Not sure what the movie would add seeing as how there isn't much to go on story wise after the final ep from what I remember. I think.

Durask

So far this season:

Loved Demon Slayer Kimetsu no Yaiba - a shonen but a very well done one.
Dr Stone - fun concept but carboard cutout characters are annoying.
Cop Craft - essentially cop buddy show tropes mixed with fantasy tropes. Not bad but certainly not a masterpiece.
Fire Force - watched a couple episodes, very shoneny but not the same quality as Demon Slayer. Does it get better?
To The Abandoned Secret Beasts - nice setup but characters don't click with me at all. The woman with breasts sticks like a sore ... thumb I guess. Certainly nothing against fan service but looks very out of place.

Sakura

It was one of the best anime airing a few seasons ago. Not sure what the movie would add seeing as how there isn't much to go on story wise after the final ep from what I remember. I think.
Not sure what you mean. The anime only covered the first 5 volumes of the series, and didn't really touch on Shouko at all. There's still lots more content/plot to animate.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure what you mean. The anime only covered the first 5 volumes of the series, and didn't really touch on Shouko at all. There's still lots more content/plot to animate.
I thought it covered most of the LN myself. That is what I was told when people were discussing it and were asking for a second season. But since you are telling me that the anime covered 5 volumes and google tells me there are 9 volumes....disregard!

Top Bottom