• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters

Sakura

I thought it covered most of the LN myself. That is what I was told when people were discussing it and were asking for a second season. But since you are telling me that the anime covered 5 volumes and google tells me there are 9 volumes....disregard!
To be fair though the ending of the anime is changed from the light novels in some significant ways, so it is possible when making it they didn't know if they were going to do a movie/second season, so presented the anime in a way that could appear to have 'ended'.

I watched the first episodes of Dr. Stone and Fire Force. I really liked both of them. Can’t wait to watch more.

On another note, I have so many series I need to catch up on/finish: Tokyo Ghoul: Re, Code Geass, Boruto, Dragon Ball Super, The Rising of the Shield Hero, Darling in the Franxx, A Certain Magical Index, etc. I am so behind schedule!

Last edited:
The Promised Neverland wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be for the most popular horror anime (I really like the horror genre), but still quite decent.

High Score Girl on the other hand surprised me, after a horrible first episode after which I set the anime to 3/10 and status "dropped", I convinced myself to keep watching a bit and that twist at episode 3 actually got me interested. Then came Koharu and she turned the whole series to amazing. Too bad she isn't the main focus of the anime. I just can't deal with Akira not talking at all.

Also started watching Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions. I guess I have that 8th grade syndrome too, but I don't really display it in public. Still, I find that behavior incredibly annoying and it doesn't look like it will end anytime soon.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
0XLHC2t.png
/
5CpRhyl.png
/
BmbqREa.png

Guy is just polishing a dagger.

Javthusiast

Banned
FK YES! I didn't know they were adapting this into an anime, and from what I read plan to cover the full complete manga.

Look at this and Vinland Saga, both great seinen series that sell on par or less than Berserk. Yet for some reason Berserk gets constantly shitted on by terrible animation projects directed by noobs. Just give the property to these studios and talent and let them to this same animation quality for it, we don't need some movie quality to match Berserks manga drawings, just a good solid adaptation ffs.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
I’m watching Vinland Saga right now and am thoroughly amazed that the best depiction of the Vikings I’ve seen in ten years is Japanese.

Also pretty interesting as a coming of age story. Which I guess western media no longer produces unless it’s in the service of strong independent etc etc etc women.

Do I sound salty? I’m feeling pretty salty right now. We’re not allowed to have a live action version of something like this. To much toxic masculinity.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I’m watching Vinland Saga right now and am thoroughly amazed that the best depiction of the Vikings I’ve seen in ten years is Japanese.

Also pretty interesting as a coming of age story. Which I guess western media no longer produces unless it’s in the service of strong independent etc etc etc women.

Do I sound salty? I’m feeling pretty salty right now. We’re not allowed to have a live action version of something like this. To much toxic masculinity.
Sniff. Read the manga. Then don't hate me for it.

Is there an official thread for Shingeki no Kyojin? I'd love to discuss the manga.
There is a one about the anime or the last season I believe but you could just do that here? 🤷

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Still no best girl
AOTS if best girl appears

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how Demon Slayer has rehabilitation arcs. I guess they are technically training arcs (e.g. Tanjiro learning about Total Concentration Breathing) but seeing the damage that the characters get ups the impact of the fights. There are no sensu beans or chakra healing Crazy Diamond or magical potions (beyond those that treat magical-type damage) - Zenitsu is down for months to recover, and both Tanjiro and Inosuke are down for at least a few weeks.

That's what I like about Demon Slayer - it uses all those shonen tropes in interesting ways that make them feel less shoneny.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
How far into the Vinland Saga manga is the anime going to cover? I'm on volume 4 right now. I want to watch the anime but I also want to keep ahead of it with the manga.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I love how Demon Slayer has rehabilitation arcs. I guess they are technically training arcs (e.g. Tanjiro learning about Total Concentration Breathing) but seeing the damage that the characters get ups the impact of the fights. There are no sensu beans or chakra healing shoneny.
But there are though...

But there are though...

Where? After the drum demon, everyone had to spend at least a couple weeks healing at one of the slayer bases. During the mountain fight, Shinobu never gave anyone some instant healing medication - she gave painkillers and antivenin for the spider. Now at her base the treatment is going to take a while, including three months to fix Zenitsu. No one is popping a sensu bean and almost instantly getting healed. There are heavy consequences for the humans making a single mistake.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Where? After the drum demon, everyone had to spend at least a couple weeks healing at one of the slayer bases. During the mountain fight, Shinobu never gave anyone some instant healing medication - she gave painkillers and antivenin for the spider. Now at her base the treatment is going to take a while, including three months to fix Zenitsu. No one is popping a sensu bean and almost instantly getting healed. There are heavy consequences for the humans making a single mistake.
Butterfly gave them medicine that sped up their recovery multiple times though that while not instant said medicine doesn't even exist irl. Also the fact that they don't die from half of the shit they go thru is also in itself hilarious. Daily reminder that what doesn't kill you DOESN'T make you stronger.

Butterfly gave them medicine that sped up their recovery multiple times though that while not instant said medicine doesn't even exist irl. Also the fact that they don't die from half of the shit they go thru is also in itself hilarious. Daily reminder that what doesn't kill you DOESN'T make you stronger.

Spider demons which turn you into spiders do not exist in real-life either. And they are not really getting a zenkai from their injuries - they just have to get back up to baseline.

I just think the injuries not just being handwaved away at the end makes the combat more interesting. The fact that they have to actually spend a long period of time recovering is not something you see a lot in anime. I'm sure that the main three will never get killed, but it feels like they are in danger because they do get the shit beat out of them and lots of other slayers are getting mowed down.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I just think the injuries not just being handwaved away at the end makes the combat more interesting. The fact that they have to actually spend a long period of time recovering is not something you see a lot in anime. I'm sure that the main three will never get killed, but it feels like they are in danger because they do get the shit beat out of them and lots of other slayers are getting mowed down.
But they are! Sure they took time to recover but you have things like stitching your guts together after loosing 60% of your blood and still being able to fight because SPOILERS.

QHnVFZl.png

Also this is best boy even though his whole gimmick makes zero sense.

But they are! Sure they took time to recover but you have things like stitching your guts together after loosing 60% of your blood and still being able to fight because SPOILERS.

QHnVFZl.png

Also this is best boy even though his whole gimmick makes zero sense.

He doesn't look familiar. I'm watching the anime, not reading the manga btw. They just "beat" the spider demons and are healing at Shinobu's place right now.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
He doesn't look familiar. I'm watching the anime, not reading the manga btw. They just "beat" the spider demons and are healing at Shinobu's place right now.
He is the scary looking guy and one of the few (5?) that passed the hunter exam.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, him. He has not shown back up yet. The only other slayer who passed the exam who has shown back up so far is Shinobu's tsuguko.
She's cool as well. Definitely better than Shinobu. All the pillars outside NO FRIENDS are pretty bad IMO but they still play off Tanjiro. Tanjiro himself surprisingly, despite being a shonen mc is quite likeable.

dase211

Neo Member
There's Little Forest, a 2002-2003 manga. It has a really incredible artstyle and a nice story.
1425697027-1011f504-o.jpg

1.jpg
6.jpg

1.jpg
My bad, it actually ran in the magazine Monthly Afternoon from 2002 to 2005.
By the way this manga is classic. I strongly recommend this bad boy if you really want some manga to read.

Last edited:

dase211

Neo Member
Does anyone know Komi Can't Communicate?
You might have seen memes of it on the net.
a5b.jpg

1521578086856.jpg

The artstyle's really nice, but the story and characters isn't really good...
8088gqfxo2521.png

A nice meme ^^

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
a5b.jpg

1521578086856.jpg

8088gqfxo2521.png

A nice meme ^^
I remember reading the oneshot years ago and really liked it. Was stocked it got a serialized. But now I'm sure it will never end and grew out of it. While the quality has suffered ALOT it is not as bad as Kaguya. ie it is a decent read for the first 8 volumes or so. You'll prob like Bocchi if you liked Komi.

She's cool as well. Definitely better than Shinobu. All the pillars outside NO FRIENDS are pretty bad IMO but they still play off Tanjiro. Tanjiro himself surprisingly, despite being a shonen mc is quite likeable.

I don't know, I liked how purposefully stereotypical they all are. Fire pillar wants to fight, Love pillar is over-the-top moe and dere. They were funny.

Tanjiro is great. He's got a purpose and a motivation for revenge, but he is not really about the revenge so much as turning Nezuko back to a human. Despite everything done to him and all the horrors he sees the demons commit he still respects the demons as he would humans because he knows that Nezuko could have been like that, and he knows what she struggles with.

That kind of understanding is so Japanese.

Japanese food is so picturesque. I can't eat most of it because of all the carbs lol, but I love looking at it.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
My bad, it actually ran in the magazine Monthly Afternoon from 2002 to 2005.
By the way this manga is classic. I strongly recommend this bad boy if you really want some manga to read.
Is this Daisuke Igarashi? Yeah bro it's good. Witches and Children of the Sea I liked too.

kiiltz

a5b.jpg

1521578086856.jpg

8088gqfxo2521.png

A nice meme ^^
prob the worst memed series on the internet, even more than jojo and somehow manages to be less than both the series it cloned and the series that cloned it

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Watched the Kabaneri movie on Netflix the other day. It was 80 minutes of stupid fun but the animation was on point.

Took a break from watching all the retro shows I was watching. Going back to them soon, for now gonna watch a few more movies. A Tree of Palme, Venus Wars and a few others.

Fbh

Damn, Kingdom is fucking great. How have I missed this for so long? Why the fuck does this not have an official english release I can buy?
I've been loosing sleep with this thing, the "just one more chapter" effect is strong with this one

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have a confession to make

The isekai this season are real trash. Isekai Cheat Magician was irredeemable shit.

God Enel

Is anyone watching fairy gone? I started watching it and I like the first 2/3 episodes I saw. What are you guys thinking?

Pejo

So I finally (against my better judgement) went back and finished the last few episodes of Domestic Girlfriend. I stopped on purpose when the series was on a high note and the MC and Hina were happy and together. I knew that with 3 episodes left, there was no chance it would stay that way and I was 100% right. It honestly put me in a bad mood for an entire afternoon. I have never watched a romance anime in my life until this one, but I genuinely enjoyed it in an absurd kind of way. I hear the manga keeps going but I just don't know if I want to do it again to myself, lol.

Shouta

The isekai this season are real trash. Isekai Cheat Magician was irredeemable shit.

Yep, this season was pretty bad. I actually somewhat enjoy Isekai Cheat Magician, the manga anyway. It was one of the first isekai and so itw as pretty understandable why it was like that but man that anime looked bad, lol.

Sakura

I enjoy Maou-sama Retry. It doesn't have a good plot or anything but it is kind of funny.
Isekai Cheat Magician is pretty bad though.
Anyone watch Arifureta or Astra: Lost in Space?
I watched and read Astra. It's ok, but I think the mysteries (?) are poorly done, and the ending feels kind of sudden.

Top Bottom