• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Yep, this season was pretty bad. I actually somewhat enjoy Isekai Cheat Magician, the manga anyway. It was one of the first isekai and so itw as pretty understandable why it was like that but man that anime looked bad, lol.

Yeah, it’s trash. Still, pump it into my veins. Love me some trashy harem isekai.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
2 more weeks until we get a new season of anime

Gonna watch

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
Kono Oto S2
Azur Lane
Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai.
Rifle is Beautiful
Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2
Kandagawa Jet Girls
Yuru Camp S2 winter
Kuutei Dragons winter

Yeah, it’s trash. Still, pump it into my veins. Love me some trashy harem isekai.

You'll like this trash then

I remember reading some of this. It isn't too trash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently (finally) watching Clannad. I really like the MC, he is such a troll. Fuuko is also funny.

is there any good horror to watch/read besides junji ito stuff? haven't seen anything in a while
Horror is my favorite genre, though it's always hard to know what still classifies as horror, I kind of like all variations of it.

My top 10 horror animes are:
1. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
2. Made In Abyss
3. Attack On Titan
4. Claymore
5. Parasyte
6. Happy Sugar Life
7. Ajin
8. Gantz
9. Monster
10.Shinsekai Yori

If you need more or want more info, just ask. Most others I like are closer to thriller than horror, but I also know plenty more pure horror which I simply didn't rate as high.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Currently (finally) watching Clannad. I really like the MC, he is such a troll. Fuuko is also funny.

Horror is my favorite genre, though it's always hard to know what still classifies as horror, I kind of like all variations of it.

2. Made In Abyss
3. Attack On Titan
4. Claymore
5. Parasyte
6. Happy Sugar Life
7. Ajin
8. Gantz
9. Monster
10.Shinsekai Yori

If you need more or want more info, just ask. Most others I like are closer to thriller than horror, but I also know plenty more pure horror which I simply didn't rate as high.
How are these horror taiga

How are these horror taiga
Happy Sugar Life and Shinsekai Yori definitely have some horror elements throughout. Yandere are just like other non-supernatural horror villains really. But its not just the MC, everybody is acting really scary in HSL. Shinsekai Yori has monsters and some elements that would be too much of a spoiler. Ajin I wasn't sure. The scene at the very start of the first episode is definitely horror but later it goes more into psychological action movie. All three have the horror tag on MAL, I checked there before posting. Claymore is the only anime that doesn't have the horror tag but I personally count it as horror more than I count it as fantasy.

Whitecrow

Banned

2. Made In Abyss
3. Attack On Titan
4. Claymore
5. Parasyte
6. Happy Sugar Life
7. Ajin
8. Gantz
9. Monster
10.Shinsekai Yori

Please post here after you finish Clannad.
It have been such a long time without my dose of others enjoying it lol

And just to comment something on the thread, I've been rewatching Re: Zero.
I liked it a lot the first time, but it's better than I remembered. I love this show (and Rem, ***** Emilia) and I'm happy it's getting a second season.

Is Domestic Girlfriend sub only? I’ve seen it pop up via advertisements on sites and it seems interesting enough, but I’m a dub man (and that tends to get me in hot shit around here).

BTW, I loved Gantz. I wish it would have followed the manga more and lasted a lot longer than it did, but what we did get was pretty great. Up to that point I had never seen anything like it. I had all of my friends into Gantz that didn’t even like anime.

Last edited:
Re: Zero.
I was actually thinking about this also when wondering about good horror animes, but decided that it's not horror enough. But still not quite sure.

Probably the anime I'd like a second season of the most.

But now that we get Chihayafuru S3, that one gets close too. Except I don't remember anything that happened in S1 and S2 anymore, it's been THAT long. But I remember really loving the anime. Heh.

BTW, I loved Gantz. I wish it would have followed the manga more and lasted a lot longer than it did, but what we did get was pretty great. Up to that point I had never seen anything like it. I had all of my friends into Gantz that didn’t even like anime.
There are a bunch of Gantz movies that cover other parts of the manga.

Gantz:O is really amazing and very close to the manga. Of course that still leaves you with a huge story gap.

But yeah, wish the anime would have continued. All that limb cutting and the death scenes just didn't really have the same impact in manga form where you just see one picture with an attack and the next picture it's just all black with some white dots representing body parts (but you can't even really see it clearly), I often had to look multiple times to even understand someone died! The anime managed that really well.

Franken Fran go read it right fucking now if you haven't done so.

Gonna check it later today.

Rya.Reisender said:
2. Made In Abyss
3. Attack On Titan
4. Claymore
5. Parasyte
6. Happy Sugar Life
7. Ajin
8. Gantz
9. Monster
10.Shinsekai Yori

Only watched/checked 3 position from your list: Higurashi no Naku koro ni (I remember I liked it, but would need to refresh it some time, forgot almost everything about it), Attack On Titan (I think it's overrated as fuck) and recently Ajin on netflix (decent, but animation is kinda bad).

I'd love to see more something like Shiki, recently watched it for second time and it's still my favourite thriller/horror.

Rya.Reisender said:

Clannad was great, gonna need to watch it again. One of the only shows where "your typical MC" didn't annoy me. Loved pretty much everyone from the cast, especially Sunohara and Kyou.

Last edited:
Does this forum have a spoiler tag?

Attack On Titan is definitely not overrated imo. I hated one part of the first season (something that happens to the MC that first surprises you like "Wow did they really just do that?" just to move back on it on the next episode, if you do a plottwist then it should have an impact imo) and it has occassionally a slow episode or two, but it has many interesting characters (I love potato girl Sasha) and tons of twists that were all clearly well-planned from the start. But I didn't rate it 10/10 until I watched Season 3 Part 2, that was just perfect execution.

Some people seem to have problems with CGI animation, but I already got used to it when watching Knights of Sidonia. Its story was amazing enough to keep me going and eventually I didn't mind the CGI at all anymore. Ajin I love mainly because of the MC in the manga and the first season of the anime. Too bad the second season didn't follow the manga and was apparently written by someone who had no clue about the personalities of all the characters, so they simply didn't behave consistently anymore.

Shiki was okay, or great even when looking at it objectively, unfortunately I hate that particular subgenre (I think naming it would actually be spoilers). Actually, I just hate fantasy genre including all its creatures in general except in video games. But I admit it's the best series I ever watched of that subgenre.

I think there was a similar horror anime that was called Sheep May Safely Graze or something like that. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. Maybe it was this one? https://myanimelist.net/anime/258/Hitsuji_no_Uta

Oh, did you watch The Promised Neverland? I think you'd like that one. Though the manga is better.

Clannad was great, gonna need to watch it again. One of the only shows where "your typical MC" didn't annoy me. Loved pretty much everyone from the cast, especially Sunohara and Kyou.
Yeah.

I actually got to watch all those romance animes lately because 2 months ago I watched Toradora! for the first time (German Dub is new) and it ended up completely breaking me for two weeks because I found the character so relatable that I couldn't bear not seeing them anymore. One of its charms is definitely that the protagonist behaves like a real human rather than according to his "your typical MC" cliché. For example he doesn't tolerate the tsundere abusing him and doesn't go victim mode. It's my favorite anime of all time now.

I see why Clannad was one of the animes suggested to get past the Post Toradora Depression Disorder. The MC definitely has similar qualities and he is generally pretty unique. While he is good hearted and helping everyone just like in all other animes, he also likes to play jokes and really doesn't help anyone who doesn't really need his help (like his best friend). He has so many amazing quotes like:

Girl: "Say something too!"
MC: "Nah, I enjoy just listening."

Or:
Girl: "Do you think that's funny?"
MC: "Yeah, actually I do."

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yep, this season was pretty bad. I actually somewhat enjoy Isekai Cheat Magician, the manga anyway. It was one of the first isekai and so itw as pretty understandable why it was like that but man that anime looked bad, lol.
It was one of the first? hmmm.

Even though it was pretty bad and generic I was making my way through the episodes weekly, that is until the episode with the fight against the twin head dragon. He has a sentient legendary being in front of him and he doesn't even try and parlay with it before attacking. You don't want to know why it showed up and what hostility it may have?

Whitecrow

Banned
Does this forum have a spoiler tag?

Attack On Titan is definitely not overrated imo. I hated one part of the first season (something that happens to the MC that first surprises you like "Wow did they really just do that?" just to move back on it on the next episode, if you do a plottwist then it should have an impact imo) and it has occassionally a slow episode or two, but it has many interesting characters (I love potato girl Sasha) and tons of twists that were all clearly well-planned from the start. But I didn't rate it 10/10 until I watched Season 3 Part 2, that was just perfect execution.

Some people seem to have problems with CGI animation, but I already got used to it when watching Knights of Sidonia. Its story was amazing enough to keep me going and eventually I didn't mind the CGI at all anymore. Ajin I love mainly because of the MC in the manga and the first season of the anime. Too bad the second season didn't follow the manga and was apparently written by someone who had no clue about the personalities of all the characters, so they simply didn't behave consistently anymore.

Shiki was okay, or great even when looking at it objectively, unfortunately I hate that particular subgenre (I think naming it would actually be spoilers). Actually, I just hate fantasy genre including all its creatures in general except in video games. But I admit it's the best series I ever watched of that subgenre.

I think there was a similar horror anime that was called Sheep May Safely Graze or something like that. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. Maybe it was this one? https://myanimelist.net/anime/258/Hitsuji_no_Uta

Oh, did you watch The Promised Neverland? I think you'd like that one. Though the manga is better.

Yeah.

I actually got to watch all those romance animes lately because 2 months ago I watched Toradora! for the first time (German Dub is new) and it ended up completely breaking me for two weeks because I found the character so relatable that I couldn't bear not seeing them anymore. One of its charms is definitely that the protagonist behaves like a real human rather than according to his "your typical MC" cliché. For example he doesn't tolerate the tsundere abusing him and doesn't go victim mode. It's my favorite anime of all time now.

I see why Clannad was one of the animes suggested to get past the Post Toradora Depression Disorder. The MC definitely has similar qualities and he is generally pretty unique. While he is good hearted and helping everyone just like in all other animes, he also likes to play jokes and really doesn't help anyone who doesn't really need his help (like his best friend). He has so many amazing quotes like:

Girl: "Say something too!"
MC: "Nah, I enjoy just listening."

Or:
Girl: "Do you think that's funny?"
MC: "Yeah, actually I do."
Did you watch Angel Beats?

That one gave me post drama disorder too. And it's one of my favourites ever.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm caught up with the Dr. Stone manga now :messenger_loudly_crying:

Man they really fucked up the comedic timing and art of the most recent episode.

Shouta

It was one of the first? hmmm.

Even though it was pretty bad and generic I was making my way through the episodes weekly, that is until the episode with the fight against the twin head dragon. He has a sentient legendary being in front of him and he doesn't even try and parlay with it before attacking. You don't want to know why it showed up and what hostility it may have?

Yep, it started being put up in 2012 which was when the first wave of big isekai started the boom. Shield Hero, Mushoku Tensei, etc were started that year too.

I haven't gotten that far in the manga but it's semi-common trope in Isekai where the protag fights a legendary being to basically a stalemate and then they hash it somehow, lol

Well first of the new ones - genre is much older as we had ancient stuff like Twelve Kingdoms or various hack series much earlier. I guess it got really big again with Sword Art Online.

Did you watch Angel Beats?

That one gave me post drama disorder too. And it's one of my favourites ever.
Yeah, I watched Angel Beats!

I didn't like most of it too much. My first guess what that world is and what people disappearing means was pretty much correct already, so I never felt it was a bad thing. Later on when it shows events in the real world and also that ending, I started to really like it though and yes, I found it pretty heavy. But being sad because sad things happen is not as bad for me as being sad because an anime you loved all the characters of and were highly immersed into ends, even if the ending is positive.

Angel Beats I'd compare more to Your Lie In April. Even though Angel Beats! has more tragedy in the events when you think about it.

I was actually thinking about this also when wondering about good horror animes, but decided that it's not horror enough. But still not quite sure.

Probably the anime I'd like a second season of the most.

But now that we get Chihayafuru S3, that one gets close too. Except I don't remember anything that happened in S1 and S2 anymore, it's been THAT long. But I remember really loving the anime. Heh.

There are a bunch of Gantz movies that cover other parts of the manga.

Gantz:O is really amazing and very close to the manga. Of course that still leaves you with a huge story gap.

But yeah, wish the anime would have continued. All that limb cutting and the death scenes just didn't really have the same impact in manga form where you just see one picture with an attack and the next picture it's just all black with some white dots representing body parts (but you can't even really see it clearly), I often had to look multiple times to even understand someone died! The anime managed that really well.

Yeah, I’ve seen Gantz: O. I really liked it. It sucked that Kurono didn’t have a bigger part in it, though. He was my favorite character in the anime by far. Have you seen the live action movies? I’ve been thinking about checking those out since I love the franchise so much and need to see more.

Last edited:
The passage of time in Dr. Stone is really off. I'm assuming at least a year has passed since Senku awakened brawn guy, but it feels like a couple weeks at most. And like half of that has just been Senku's team preparing for the tournament, but that has (by their words) taken six months.

I'm liking it pretty well as a "survival crafting" show for what little of it there is, and it has some good humor. The out-of-nowhere reference in the last ep to Return of the Living Dead had me laughing way too damn hard. It's got issues, but I think I'll keep up with it.

I do need something new with Demon Slayer gone, though. Any recs? Aside from Dr. Stone I'm watching Fire Force and still slowly working my way through One Piece.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The passage of time in Dr. Stone is really off. I'm assuming at least a year has passed since Senku awakened brawn guy, but it feels like a couple weeks at most. And like half of that has just been Senku's team preparing for the tournament, but that has (by their words) taken six months.

I'm liking it pretty well as a "survival crafting" show for what little of it there is, and it has some good humor. The out-of-nowhere reference in the last ep to Return of the Living Dead had me laughing way too damn hard. It's got issues, but I think I'll keep up with it.

I do need something new with Demon Slayer gone, though. Any recs? Aside from Dr. Stone I'm watching Fire Force and still slowly working my way through One Piece.
Go watch Chaika

petran79

Banned
Had missed watching City Hunter for so long so I decided to read the manga, followed by Angel Heart 1st season. I really liked the manga, combining action, comedy also involving hard-ons, drama, great characters and overall much better than Cats Eye. Angel Heart continues the same, though it was changed to seinen.

Was published on the same magazine as Hokuto and souten no ken, so humor and influences feels similar.

But I am not sure I'll continue with Angel Heart s2 or new City Hunter. Even in s1 it isn't as good as the OG city hunter but it is a decent manga.

Family Compo looks far more interesting and another manga he did in 1994 too. Unfortunately they weren't as popular

What did you think of it?
I was surprised that is was so funny and positive. I kind of was expecting a sad anime.

I love the MC (Tomoya), because he is an such an awesome subtle troll that knows exactly when he needs to be serious and makes everybody around him happy without asking anything for it in return.

The female characters are the weak point of the series I think. They all come of as dumb and childish, not fitting to their age (or education level) at all. But at least they are cute and emotional and generally interesting to watch. But it added to that I see the anime more as a comedy than a serious romance / drama.
I also wasn't too fond that they added supernatural aspects, because I really don't like those as they ruin my immersion and relatability.

The arcs themselves are quite good. Liked several ideas and drama that came even though it would have been better if it weren't for the things mentioned above. I also really liked how the first season ends, would have been a really good closure of the story, especially with the added OVA chapter.

But the best thing was really the MC. My favorite part was were he fools everyone and then watches them argue and Nagisa goes "Tomoya, say something too!" and he answers "Nah, I enjoy just watching." and later when he reveals his scheme Nagisa goes: "Do you think that's funny?" and he just straight answers: "Yes, I do."

Rated it 8/10.
(There are only two comedy/romance/drama animes I rated higher so far and those are Toradora! (10/10) and Nana (9/10).)

Durask

On a whim checked out a manhwa on Toomics.
Set in a Waterworld like setting which I always have a soft sport for.
So far pretty good.

Story and art are pretty good, some very nice action scenes, IMHO.

gR4V4Dx.png

Last edited:
On a whim checked out a manhwa on Toomics.
Set in a Waterworld like setting which I always have a soft sport for.
So far pretty good.

Story and art are pretty good, some very nice action scenes, IMHO.

gR4V4Dx.png

Looks like a great plot too. A man could really sink into that.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished Danmachi season two and also finally watched the OVA.
Now I'm ready for Sword Art Online to start back up next month.
I'm also going to see the Rascal movie in two days, so good times ahead!

Durask

2. Made In Abyss
3. Attack On Titan
4. Claymore
5. Parasyte
6. Happy Sugar Life
7. Ajin
8. Gantz
9. Monster
10.Shinsekai Yori

Why do you list AoT and Shinsekai Yori as horror?

Why do you list AoT and Shinsekai Yori as horror?
Because it is horror? Shinsekai Yori has lots of horror elements and also has the horror tag on MAL.

Attack On Titan didn't have the horror tag, but I think it's quite similar to those old horror movies about giant insects taking over earth. If a movie about giant ants eating humans is a horror movie then an anime about giant humanoids eating humans should be too imo.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Azur Lane is the best thing airing this season. Not sure how I feel about that.

Ugh, Clannad After Story really had happen what I was afraid off. Couldn't sleep last night. I really should stop watching sad stuff (there's still Plastic Memories on my list...). Surprised that there are still so many episodes to go, hope it at least ends on a somewhat positive note.

I feel like I should stop saying that something is sad though as it's kind of a spoiler. It feels if I go into an anime blind the impact is much greater if something sad happens than if I go watch an anime and already have "It's the saddest anime of all times" in mind.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, Clannad After Story really had happen what I was afraid off. Couldn't sleep last night. I really should stop watching sad stuff (there's still Plastic Memories on my list...). Surprised that there are still so many episodes to go, hope it at least ends on a somewhat positive note.

I feel like I should stop saying that something is sad though as it's kind of a spoiler. It feels if I go into an anime blind the impact is much greater if something sad happens than if I go watch an anime and already have "It's the saddest anime of all times" in mind.
The genre alone is a spoiler honestly.

kunonabi

Finally bought Lupin III part IV and I'm a little bit more than half way through. Aside from a couple episodes I haven't really liked it. I did start checking out part V though and that is way better. I also picked up Goemon's Blood which I'll probably watch in the next couple days.

Top Bottom