• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just a few thoughts as the season is coming to the end.
My hero academia - gift that keeps on giving. Just REALLY wish they would stop introducing everyone and going over their abilities EVERY season. I can understand the reason why but I don't like it or want it. 8/10
Fire Force - a great show and I feel it is completely underrated. A side thought, I like how well integrated things are in the show but I have heard complaints about the fan service. They did a good job of "justifying" it's existence if you will. However, I can certainly understand how this fan service can be jarring or even off putting to anyone that is a fan of shonen. 8/10
Africa no Salaryman - This show has a special place in my heart. It is probably a 6 or 5 out of 10 show but I really personally like it. 6/10
Dr Stone - The big heavy hitter that does enough to keep intrigue but it feels like the show to me is too predictable while pretending to be unpredictable. I personally like every other show on this list more. 7/10
No guns life - The show is still going but it is very interesting. 7/10 so far
Shinchou Yuusha - Isekai is not my cup of tea but this show... show of the season by far. 9/10

I watched some other shows but I really could not get into them. Not fair for me to rate them on that basis.
I may disagree on Dr. Stone, but Shinchou Yuusha is fantastic!

That moment when it's Friday and I'm wondering if there's a new episode of a certain anime I should check out and I realize it's JoJo I'm thinking about but there's no JoJo now :messenger_sad_relieved:

Aside from that, my favorite show of this season is definitely Vinland Saga, followed by Fire Force (pleasantly surprised by how consistently good it is), MHA and Nanatsu no Taizai to a lesser extent.

As 2019 wraps up, I took a moment to pick my top anime shows of the year:
1. Vinland Saga
2. JoJo Golden Wind
3. Shingeki no Kyojin S3 Part 2

Best anime film: DBS Broly

Best old anime series I watched for the first time:
1. King of Braves GaoGaiGar
2. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
3. Turn A Gundam (haven't finished it yet)

Nightrunner

So I started watching Black Jack 2004 on Crunchyroll accompanied by a few episodes of Young Black Jack. To paraphrase Agent Cooper this is - excuse me - a damn fine anime. 2004 seems to be loaded with amazing stuff to watch and I'm just going through some of the notable shows of that year while having a great time.

Trojita

So I started watching Black Jack 2004 on Crunchyroll accompanied by a few episodes of Young Black Jack. To paraphrase Agent Cooper this is - excuse me - a damn fine anime. 2004 seems to be loaded with amazing stuff to watch and I'm just going through some of the notable shows of that year while having a great time.
Have you seen Monster? That's from 2004.

Nightrunner

Have you seen Monster? That's from 2004.
Yeah! Monster is definitely one of my favorite shows. Other 2004 shows I've seen include
  1. Fantastic Children
  2. Gankutsuou
  3. Ghost in the Shell 2nd GIG
  4. Gungrave
  5. Paranoia Agent
  6. Samurai 7
  7. Samurai Champloo
  8. Tetsujin 28.​
Since all these shows are so wonderful IMO you can guess why 2004 is such an interesting year. I'm pretty sure Black Jack will also be added to this list soon.

brap

Banned
Another great day to watch an episode of One Piece. I just watched episode 745, and I'm still completely in awe and amazed at how incredible this work of art is. My hat is off to Eiichiro Oda, this anime (and probably manga too) is nothing short of extraordinary
Just about 300 eps until I catch up... Any day now...

Shouta

Apparently, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken is getting a new anime in Fall of 2020. I'm stoked at that news because it's like the best shounen manga that never made it out in English officially. Pretty fantastic series!

Its original anime never made it to the end so we never got an animated version of some of those classic lines that got mad popular with the Japanese net

Last edited:
Apparently, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken is getting a new anime in Fall of 2020. I'm stoked at that news because it's like the best shounen manga that never made it out in English officially. Pretty fantastic series!

Its original anime never made it to the end so we never got an animated version of some of those classic lines that got mad popular with the Japanese net

Sounds cool. I'm keep an eye out for it.

Shouta

Sounds cool. I'm keep an eye out for it.

I think a fan-translation of the manga exists out there but I don't know how good it is. It's worth checking out if you're looking for something from that era of anime/manga. It's a bit of a slow start but progresses steadily and the characters have pretty great progression throughout it.

The old anime's opening was this, it's really late 80s-90s.

Last edited:

What?

WHAT???

I’m tearing up!!

sjPjddr.gif

Okay, finished Golden wind. It kind of fell apart by the end. King crimson seemed like a discount The World. Diavolo's reveal was also disappointing. I was at least expecting a suit, as his early silhouette suggested, not a runway fashion model.

I understand that it was Araki's love letter to Italian culture, but I think he should've been more selective about his choices. I could get down with Giorno, Bucellati and Narancia's character designs, but most just seemed over designed. I read somewhere that Araki went through a rough patch during this part and changed some plot points along the way which might explain why the story seemed so inconsistent and the pacing felt off.

No guns life is okay. Nothing amazing, but still enjoyable.

Dr. Stone was more entertaining than it has any right to be. The storyline makes up for its generic art style.

Beastars is also surprisingly okay.

On a sidenote, I seriously don't get how people follow One piece these days. I used to adore One piece, especially the early arcs, but the story has gotten so cluttered It really seems like Shueisha is ordering Oda to stretched it out till they find a suitable replacement for it.

Last edited:
I saw the trailer on Twitter. Judging from the images they're going to cover the whole story. I hope they won't rush it through because it's quite long. I wonder which studio will be in charge of this?

Shouta

I saw the trailer on Twitter. Judging from the images they're going to cover the whole story. I hope they won't rush it through because it's quite long. I wonder which studio will be in charge of this?

It's Toei Animation was what they said on the Livestream i think. They did the original too as i recall.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
rT7FRaq.gif

Also Panzer is on Netflix. NO excuse to not watch world of tanks anime people!

Trojita

There's a sequel OVA coming in February. Just mentioning it in case you didn't know already.
I had just found out earlier today! I'm excited, but wondering where they would go with it. I do want to see more of Jean, Lotte, and Nino's life after everything went down.

Trojita

All those commercial anime music videos recently are absolutely incredible.

More effort and animation put into these than My Hero Academia Season 4 :messenger_fearful:

About MHA S4, I guess the hypothesis on why this season hasn't been quite as good animation wise is because the new My Hero Academia 2nd movie and Fire Force (supposedly) both took staff away to work on those titles. It was hard reading the Save Eri arc week to week when it was first releasing and I was hoping the anime would do a good job for this arc. Mirio's upcoming fight and the final fight of the arc should hopefully be animated well, we shall see.

Nightrunner

I had just found out earlier today! I'm excited, but wondering where they would go with it. I do want to see more of Jean, Lotte, and Nino's life after everything went down.
Probably the P.S spinoff but who knows? I'm just stoked that such a super chill anime is returning.

I marathoned ACCA-13 over the weekend

D2o4nmIX4AAH7RC.jpg

A classy show full of intrigue. It was great!

ACCA-12-73-1280x720.jpg
I loved that show and found it very relaxing to rewatch. The opening theme and character designs are lovely, and the setting is very interesting. And a lot of mouthwatering sweets too! I'll definitely keep an eye on the OVA.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Okay, finished Golden wind. It kind of fell apart by the end. King crimson seemed like a discount The World. Diavolo's reveal was also disappointing. I was at least expecting a suit, as his early silhouette suggested, not a runway fashion model.

I understand that it was Araki's love letter to Italian culture, but I think he should've been more selective about his choices. I could get down with Giorno, Bucellati and Narancia's character designs, but most just seemed over designed. I read somewhere that Araki went through a rough patch during this part and changed some plot points along the way which might explain why the story seemed so inconsistent and the pacing felt off.

No guns life is okay. Nothing amazing, but still enjoyable.

Dr. Stone was more entertaining than it has any right to be. The storyline makes up for its generic art style.

Beastars is also surprisingly okay.

On a sidenote, I seriously don't get how people follow One piece these days. I used to adore One piece, especially the early arcs, but the story has gotten so cluttered It really seems like Shueisha is ordering Oda to stretched it out till they find a suitable replacement for it.
The problem really is the ending. The last 1/4th of the anime was very bleak, it was very human and they took major loss in the end, but that doesn't mean that it all had to be so seemingly rushed. I can go into great depth, but I'm new to this site and want to reveal as little as possible unless there is a way to use spoiler tags here. But I agree, it could have been an absolutely amazing anime if it had finished as strongly as it had started and maintained beginning to middle portion

The story isn't cluttered at all in One Piece. It's not going to be "stretched out" or "replaced" lmao....Re-read what you just typed out and see how ridiculous that would be; the most profitable anime/manga in the industry, the planet just given the cold shoulder for some reason? Who are you kidding besides maybe yourself?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The problem really is the ending. The last 1/4th of the anime was very bleak, it was very human and they took major loss in the end, but that doesn't mean that it all had to be so seemingly rushed. I can go into great depth, but I'm new to this site and want to reveal as little as possible unless there is a way to use spoiler tags here. But I agree, it could have been an absolutely amazing anime if it had finished as strongly as it had started and maintained beginning to middle portion

The story isn't cluttered at all in One Piece. It's not going to be "stretched out" or "replaced" lmao....Re-read what you just typed out and see how ridiculous that would be; the most profitable anime/manga in the industry, the planet just given the cold shoulder for some reason? Who are you kidding besides maybe yourself?
standard spoiler tags
[spoiler (close) [/ spoiler (close it

OP is too long to get into and the characters don't appeal to everybody. It doesn't help it has a craploads of filters. AT LEAST it keeps pumping volumes out unlike HxH I guess

Golden Wind suffered many times due to NotJoJo's lack of personality and Araki's indecision since at the time he had a "fight" with one of his close friends. I mean look at Stone Ocean, that thing was a goddamn mess.

Trojita

Ascendance of a Bookworm's release tomorrow is a two episode combined finale.

Cautious Hero also has its finale releasing tomorrow.

Last edited:
(...)

Given your username you're probably pretty biased towards One PIece.

Look, I enjoyed the manga in the beginning. It was unique, characters stood out, and, the story was enjoyable. I was a fan. That said, I really think its starting to wear out.

The storytelling has mostly transitioned into being filler. The actual, interesting, meaningful story tidbits are just being scattered, far in between, and drip-fed now. It seriously feels like its getting dragged/thinned out. Most of the character developments have gotten repetitive and serve mostly to re-affirm aspects/characteristics that have already been established. Its getting dull and nonsensical. The more recent characters aren't even that interesting or exciting. They barely have any individuality or differentiability from the rest of the character gallery.

Besides, you're making a fallacy by equating highest profitability to good quality.

Last edited:

Doom85

The wife bought me Uzumaki for Christmas, stoked. Just gotta polish off Yon & Mu and then I'll get wired into it.

Yeah, I got the BRs for Tatami Galaxy (seen it, my personal favorite anime of the decade though Steins Gate is a close 2nd, so happy they FINALLY gave it a US physical release), Himamatsuri (not seen), and Blood Blockade Battlefront (not seen). Also got the BRs for Young Justice: Outsiders, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Pokemon: Detective Pikachu.

I really enjoyed Uzuamki, I hope you enjoy it too.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Quality is Love Tyrant but I don't care at this point

Last edited by a moderator:

God Enel

David Production baby♥

when I started watching it and 10+ episodes in I didn’t know what’s the point but the twists about sho and shinra have been great. And the animation is great.
Will there be more episodes or was 24 the last one of the season (guess there are seasons?!)?

Mista

Banned
when I started watching it and 10+ episodes in I didn’t know what’s the point but the twists about sho and shinra have been great. And the animation is great.
Will there be more episodes or was 24 the last one of the season (guess there are seasons?!)?
24 for now. If it was a success we’ll definitely see season 2

It isn’t old too. I think the manga started back in 2015

Last edited:
Top Bottom