• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So, are we discussing light novels in this thread as well?
That's fine. I wouldn't see why not with how tied they are to Anime/Manga series.

Alternatively a Light Novel thread could be made. Preferably I'd prefer if Anime and Manga were separate threads since I'd like to openly talk about manga series like My Hero Academia without easily spoiling it for people watching the show.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I hate them all TBH. Wake me up when they get to Othinus' arc.
I dont like the Magic God arc and the hate the Kamisato arc even more. Upto Agitate Halation arc is the best part of Index. I dropped it after Kamisato arc, but I heard it gets better after that, so I may pick it up.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I dont like the Magic God arc and the hate the Kamisato arc even more. Upto Agitate Halation arc is the best part of Index. I dropped it after Kamisato arc, but I heard it gets better after that, so I may pick it up.
Tiny Othinus is the only good thing about that series at that point tbh.

Trojita

I hate them all TBH. Wake me up when they get to Othinus' arc.
I lost some interest after the last Index anime arc. It seemed like they had no impetus to explain the mysterious behind Kamijou and his right hand. I saw that the next part of Index is in a new light novel series that already has 23 volumes and adds even more characters. A brief glance last year of the new light novel volumes it seemed like they still hadn't explained anything?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I lost some interest after the last Index anime arc. It seemed like they had no impetus to explain the mysterious behind Kamijou and his right hand. I saw that the next part of Index is in a new light novel series that already has 23 volumes and adds even more characters. A brief glance last year of the new light novel volumes it seemed like they still hadn't explained anything?
Imagine Breaker is some grand power of the universe bs that can choose its own user. While this has not OUTRIGHT been stated that's what it is.

Trojita

Imagine Breaker is some grand power of the universe bs that can choose its own user. While this has not OUTRIGHT been stated that's what it is.
I want more than that!

I saw in the latest volume a dragon crashes a party saying "Yo Toma, I'm part of you". Are we going to get some kind of answer now?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I want more than that!

I saw in the latest volume a dragon crashes a party saying "Yo Toma, I'm part of you". Are we going to get some kind of answer now?
FROM WHAT I KNOW the dude still hasn't used it to his full potential but his arm is basically dragon heads or something. I gave up. But you could always tell us what it is in Volume 30+. :/

One Piece actually releases though. It's worse being a Berserk or HxH fan.

Actually, HxH is worse because Togashi keeps downgrading into chickenscratch art whenever he actually does put something out. Berserk and OP are pretty consistently good artwise.

Frankly I wouldn’t mind Togashi’s sketches if the story was interesting. Now he’s indulging in intellectual masturbation with the current arc, explaining every tiny detail about what every character is thinking, in a large cast of new characters you couldn’t give two shits about, aside from the occasional Kurapika intervention. I can’t believe some blindly hail this arc as great.

Is this fucking samurai saga in one piece any good or is shit like 90% of material post 2 years jump?

I'm like 20 episodes behind...
I hear the animation is good, and there are some solid moments. The recent manga chapters are great, though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Frankly I wouldn’t mind Togashi’s sketches if the story was interesting. Now he’s indulging in intellectual masturbation with the current arc, explaining every tiny detail about what every character is thinking, in a large cast of new characters you couldn’t give two shits about, aside from the occasional Kurapika intervention. I can’t believe some blindly hail this arc as great.

I hear the animation is good, and there are some solid moments. The recent manga chapters are great, though.
HxH might be dead honestly. 12 months without a chapter.

God Enel

What’s going on in my hero academia. Season 4 is absolutely great. Caught up the newest episode. Hissaikai (or whatever his name is) is absolutely OP and mirio (lemillion) was absolutely killing it. Any of you watching?

Trojita

What’s going on in my hero academia. Season 4 is absolutely great. Caught up the newest episode. Hissaikai (or whatever his name is) is absolutely OP and mirio (lemillion) was absolutely killing it. Any of you watching?
It's actually been a bad adaption for many of us manga readers. The LeMillion episode was a clip show. The animation team was sent to work on the 2nd movie and possibly Fire Force (which had amazing animation).

I hope they do justice to this next episode. I could tell from an animation still in last week's "next episode preview" that there will be a different animation team. This next episode is batshit insane. MAD MAN DEKU.

Last edited:

God Enel

It's actually been a bad adaption for many of us manga readers. The LeMillion episode was a clip show. The animation team was sent to work on the 2nd movie and possibly Fire Force (which had amazing animation).

I hope they do justice to this next episode. I could tell from an animation still in last week's "next episode preview" that there will be a different animation team. This next episode is batshit insane. MAD MAN DEKU.

Don’t know much about the animation Studio or all this behind the scenes stuff in general. And fire force has awesome animation, I agree. Imho the animation was okay. what was different in comparison to the manga?
I hope Deku’s going to get a beating, though the rest of the heroes arrived.
love hissaikai (how is it spelled?) though, his quirk is really op and he is more interesting than the guy from the league of villains.

Trojita

That episode.

giphy.gif

Deku is now trending on Twitter

A5HUAhk.png

1wROjDi.jpg

The ABSOLUTE MAD MAN

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

I enjoyed this.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

I enjoyed this.
First chapter was good but by Chapter 2 they turned this into a harem. Dropped.

I'm not regretting my decision to watch all of One Piece from last January. A little over a year later and I'm over 1/3 of the way through to current.

I will say that the pace improved tremendously during Skypeia and Water 7, then dropped off like a brick at Enies Lobby on through Thriller Bark. They added in that unnecessary Roger intro after the OP (I'm 280+ episodes in when this is added - I think I know One Piece is about reaching the Roger's One Piece) for some damn reason, and started doing longer recap segments. The episodes lose about 6 min of time with that padding.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished binge watching Goblin Slayer and I really enjoyed it. I could really relate to the main character how he wasn't super talkative and just stayed focused on his goals haha. His armor was awesome too. It was cool seeing how he planned things out in advance and used his knowledge to get through situations.

Yeah My Hero was great today. It's a messy arc but the important stuff is landing for me so I'm not too down on it.

I'm still unsure where to land on this season (or what I've watched of it so far). Doesn't seem as exciting as Season 3 for me so far.

Season 3 was a feels magnet for me and I'm not getting anything out of this one.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I actually haven't because I wanted to go in blind even though I read the manga. This is another cheap CG :\
Anime today is so weird. The best CGI anime series we had to date was this obscure anime about zodiacs (not saint seiya) and anime movies yet here we are at year 2020 and we get this. FFS mobile phone adaptations were made with mostly standard animation with some CGI in the background. Also it is weird hearing Okuyazu voice Caiman.

Mista

Banned
Anime today is so weird. The best CGI anime series we had to date was this obscure anime about zodiacs (not saint seiya) and anime movies yet here we are at year 2020 and we get this. FFS mobile phone adaptations were made with mostly standard animation with some CGI in the background. Also it is weird hearing Okuyazu voice Caiman.
I don’t mind using a bit of CG every now and then like AoT and Vinland Saga for example. But the whole show? No thanks it’s ugly

Doom85

Land of the Lustrous was an absolutely gorgeous CGI series, in fact it was originally going to be 2D and they even had a PV and most viewers actually admit the switch to CGI was the right call especially given how well they utilized it. The same studio is also doing Beastars, I haven't watched that one but I hear the CGI is again solid.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
K96hUzi.png

Land of the Lustrous was an absolutely gorgeous CGI series, in fact it was originally going to be 2D and they even had a PV and most viewers actually admit the switch to CGI was the right call especially given how well they utilized it. The same studio is also doing Beastars, I haven't watched that one but I hear the CGI is again solid.
Never saw that!

Mista

Banned
Catching up with Kimetsu no Yaiba. Glad I waited for it to finish because the show is so good. I am loving it a lot!

Ufotable did an amazing job with the animation and those stand-out colours are great during the special sword swinging abilities!

I enjoyed this.

Just read a bit of the first chapter. I broke out laughing at the MC trying to "save his race" (e.g. he mentions that 50% of Japanese babies are hybrids) from intergalactic miscegenation by not flirting with the cute elf alien girl.

Damn it, Japan, you make fun of the worst of the alt-right better than anyone in the west can.

Ishuzoku Reviewers is here to save anime. It is glorious ecchi. SJW meltdowns incoming, can't wait. xD

Nq_IhBqcr9n1UomfhiV4DwYbReiyN84XkIYbB1NS1U5FW4cGWgRn4vUsqy6cZczaWf3J--gwyGF0PjHpdXThjJl8P6OBG5bmHNvJGiwiHug
5LYzTBVoS196gvYvw3zjwLb1BUTcHu4cpWxwh8WHNXw

Where can I watch this legally? I need to for research, I swear.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Just read a bit of the first chapter. I broke out laughing at the MC trying to "save his race" (e.g. he mentions that 50% of Japanese babies are hybrids) from intergalactic miscegenation by not flirting with the cute elf alien girl.

Damn it, Japan, you make fun of the worst of the alt-right better than anyone in the west can.

Where can I watch this legally? I need to for research, I swear.

gcvwSNd.jpg

LKQFMB9.jpg

What is funny is how in this fictional manga aliens want to fuck the Japanese considering how they look irl compared to other humans...(runs) But you know, manga!

Mista

Banned
Just finished episode 15 of Kimetsu No Yaiba. Ufotable keeps proving to me that they’re up there among the best animators in the industry. I’m really enjoying the show and it’s been a long time since I felt an episode finishes so quick!

Cutty Flam

Banned
I also want to ask, critique the HxH manga's current arc, I'm really curious how you guys think it's going?

I saw the entire anime, read the major fight in the manga that took place (don't want to spoil it for any unaware but fans know what I'm talking about) and they were about to get on a boat some sort of yacht or something and I stopped right there. Is that arc promising?

Joyful

I also want to ask, critique the HxH manga's current arc, I'm really curious how you guys think it's going?

I saw the entire anime, read the major fight in the manga that took place (don't want to spoil it for any unaware but fans know what I'm talking about) and they were about to get on a boat some sort of yacht or something and I stopped right there. Is that arc promising?

well it's the kurapika show again much like the yorknew arc if you liked that. the setup
is as complex and ambitious as the chimera ant arc imo. I'm loving it personally. just read it~
and yes the fight you spoke of might get a continuation on the boat

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf is this? Looks interesting...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
After the reception of part 5, it'll come sooner than part 5 itself. DP aren't going to take years this time.
They should still be working on FF S2 and Strike Witches as we speak and BLACK cells at work was teased. So...

Handel

Manga me. Just knew there’s an anime on Netlfix!
So latest chapter :

Damn that bunny with the daggers hidden in her ears, Beastars fights can come out of nowhere but make so much sense to the characters afterwards, and always come with some fun surprise move like Legosi pulling down the bunnies pants. Some more world building with the back alley show arena. Really excited to see what will be done with Nine and Three, they have importantance to both Legosi's and Louis's arcs. Maybe they'll be part of the fight against Melon, that's be amazing!

Top Bottom