• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters
I definitely miss most of the visuals, my eyes always just focus on the text at the bottom. Of course only if someone talks, not during action scenes. But sometimes mimic of characters can have a large impact.

Also comedy animes usually lose much of their comedy aspect if you need to read all the time, especially because characters talk really fast in those, so you can't even read all of it.

For example I didn't like Saiki K as sub at all, but as dub it was great.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

I thought that I was missing the visuals too until I decided to git gud at reading subs and now it’s second nature. I lost all interest in dubs after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutty Flam

Banned
One Piece Chapter 778 Discussion and Thoughts

Was thinking about all the possible matchups and run-ins there will be during the battle at Onigashima....

Surely, Luffy will be confronted by many, many great foes being the top dog in the land. He'll have to answer to Big Mom at some point I would imagine, as well as Kaido, bare minimum. And even if those were his only two foes, I don't know how in the hell he's going to defeat TWO YONKO in one war? My theory goes like this for how it might go down. IF Big Mom confronts Luffy, he will fight and ultimately she will make a serious blunder and Luffy will not outright defeat her as in kill her or render her unconscious, but I think she will ultimately fuck something up and end up in Elbaf for Luffy and Big Mom's final confrontation, where she will, in the end fall to Luffy. Or it also could be that Luffy has Gear 5 up his sleeve for this battle, and he will defeat both in absolutely jaw-dropping fashion. I think Kaido will prove to be a handful. I think Eustass Kid is going to take a stab at him, and fail but deliver a serious blow. Then I think Luffy will eventually kill Kaido in one way or another. Actually kill him. As he wanted. And Luffy will rescue Kid in the end out of respect. Those are how I think things might go at the tail end of the arc

I'm very interested in what X Drake will do amidst all the chaos that will ensue. He's a ticking time bomb of epic proportion and in the end, after Wano Kuni is opened by the Mugiwara Pirates, the navy will likely be ready for some kind of action I am guessing. Why would X Drake be there if that wasn't the plan? I think Admirals are going to take their stab at the Worst Generation after the major events of Wano take place, and all the pirates and such are weary from battle with multiple Yonko. Right now, Big Mom, Kaido, and Luffy are all tangled into a war that will no doubt shake the seas. Onigashima might be completely destroyed after it's all said and done

Brook vs Scratchman Apoo
Sanji I think will face King
Zoro I'm not sure who he will face
Luffy has has never fought Jack the Drought, I think Master Cat Viper, or Duke Dogstorm will face him at some point

I literally cannot even begin to see how this will all take place. Anybody feel me on that one, it's like there are so many catastrophic names gathered to fight on both sides, that it's just insane to think about. It feels like this arc is going to be Marineford 2.0. It's that fucking large scale. I can hardly believe how hype Oda has made this arc. It's admirable, it's genius, it's going to be something to talk about for years...

Karmic Raze

I wish I would have got into One Piece a long time ago. Now it’s like.... You want to watch 900 episodes to catch up? Lol.

Also, my fears of watching Shonen subbed are gone. I watched the first 2 episodes of Bleach last night on Blu-ray and it was magnificent.

this thread kinda got me thinking about re-reading Moonlight Mile again. anybody read that before? shame it's put on hiatus back in 2011 and never got pick up again (heard something about pressure due to the sensitivity surrounding the subject of China in there but really no proof on why it's put on hiatus), but some of the "predictions" in the manga were really on point and the fan service here and there of course doesn't hurt.

Karmic Raze

I’m struggling with all the anime I want to watch and not having enough peace time to do so. Right now I am trying to watch Classroom of the Elite and Bleach, but I want to start Fire Force, Demon Slayer, Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland, etc. I want to continue Boruto as well with subs instead of the dub, so I don’t know how I’ll manage all of these shows.

MagnesG

Banned
I’m struggling with all the anime I want to watch and not having enough peace time to do so. Right now I am trying to watch Classroom of the Elite and Bleach, but I want to start Fire Force, Demon Slayer, Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland, etc. I want to continue Boruto as well with subs instead of the dub, so I don’t know how I’ll manage all of these shows.
Watch them fast x1.5/x2 speed with occasional skip if boring, you only need to skim through the subs not patiently reading it.

Karmic Raze

Well you could watch it faster at least, that's how I binge watch stuffs, and when it gets boring sometimes (IT DOES especially for those 500++ shounen episodes), skip skip skip.

I’d do it, but I’m too fucking OCD for that to be a viable option.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I wish I would have got into One Piece a long time ago. Now it’s like.... You want to watch 900 episodes to catch up? Lol.

Also, my fears of watching Shonen subbed are gone. I watched the first 2 episodes of Bleach last night on Blu-ray and it was magnificent.
My good friend who showed me all these great anime, including One Piece, is a huge fan of Bleach as well. He said it has the greatest OST of any anime in his opinion
I saw some of the fights in Bleach. The one that I saw had extremely bizarre yet extremely powerful fighters and the outcome of it couldn't have been more severe. Based of that one fight I saw, this anime worthy of the top 3 I think people call it. It seems impressive. I wish I would have given it a better chance. I think I only half payed attention to episode 1 because the dad was annoying me or something lol

Karmic Raze

My good friend who showed me all these great anime, including One Piece, is a huge fan of Bleach as well. He said it has the greatest OST of any anime in his opinion
I saw some of the fights in Bleach. The one that I saw had extremely bizarre yet extremely powerful fighters and the outcome of it couldn't have been more severe. Based of that one fight I saw, this anime worthy of the top 3 I think people call it. It seems impressive. I wish I would have given it a better chance. I think I only half payed attention to episode 1 because the dad was annoying me or something lol

Really? I thought the dad was freaking hilarious jumping on Ichigo. I agree about the OST from what I’ve heard. It’s great. I made it about 40-50 episodes in during the original Adult Swim run, but I missed a very vital episode and stopped watching. I regret that so much. I couldn’t stand the low quality of the SD streams available, so I opted for the Blu-ray... Which is 4:3, not true HD, and has its video flaws, but I am looking past that stuff. I want to watch this series and be prepped for the return of Bleach next year. I am hoping they do a similar Blu-ray release for Naruto and Naruto Shippuden, because those are my favorite anime series of all time.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Really? I thought the dad was freaking hilarious jumping on Ichigo. I agree about the OST from what I’ve heard. It’s great. I made it about 40-50 episodes in during the original Adult Swim run, but I missed a very vital episode and stopped watching. I regret that so much. I couldn’t stand the low quality of the SD streams available, so I opted for the Blu-ray... Which is 4:3, not true HD, and has its video flaws, but I am looking past that stuff. I want to watch this series and be prepped for the return of Bleach next year. I am hoping they do a similar Blu-ray release for Naruto and Naruto Shippuden, because those are my favorite anime series of all time.
I was a hardcore ignorant hater of anime at the time and was just getting my feet wet with what he was showing me with Bleach. I had only watched what he had shown me with Deadman Wonderland, my first ever anime in full I completed lol. I think I was just in the wrong mind-state tbh, too stupid to give it a fighting chance. I have for the past year now, heavily considered supporting the manga and buying all volumes. I want to do it with Bleach, JoJo, One Piece, and maybe there’s another I’m forgetting. But those are anime/manga I have great respect for and want to support one day when I have money saved up to spend. Could be years down the road but I’d like to have them all and just read them and have something to refer back to because they’re such wonderful works of art. Some of the greatest entertainment can be a tangible manga, you can take anywhere during time to relax and just enjoy. Love it, I want to read Bleach one day, during the summer, during a vacation I’ll start it, and just read in the sun at the beach or lounging somewhere and enjoying everything as I delve into something that a lot of people probably consider a top 25 anime/manga of all time

With all the anime getting delayed now it might be better to just keep some reserves.

So, many people voted Arifureta worst anime of 2019, but it also constantly showed up when people were asking for "What low rated anime do you love?". I always tend to like unpopular animes and when I heard the amazing opening song, I gave it a try. And I must say, I really like it. The main character is awesome and the first 5 episodes of the anime are some of the best I've ever seen (it gets a bit weaker after that).

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
So, many people voted Arifureta worst anime of 2019, but it also constantly showed up when people where asking for "What low rated anime do you love?". I always tend to like unpopular animes and when I heard the amazing opening song, I gave it a try. And I must say, I really like it. The main character is awesome and the first 5 episodes of the anime are some of the best I've ever seen (it gets a bit weaker after that).
It got its bad reputation from the first loosely edited web novel version imo (dull amateurish writing), the premise is certainly interesting and the story starts off quite strong but fall flat already around 2-3 arc after - it gets as generic as ever from then, even the published version can't save much. People then would question if it is really worth investing, watching an anime with that kind of story. IDK personally I like it for what it was, never watched the anime though, only read the novel.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I dont believe so. There's a ninja scroll series but dont watch that. It's awful.
As long as this crosses your screen in the first 5 minutes your're good.
idu7af4.png
I was meant to get back to you on this. Thanks for the recommend. I'd wish I actually saw this first as I'd have searched out more Anime. I found it on Vimeo or Dailymotion in 2 parts. Probably watch a few movies first before investing in a series.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I was meant to get back to you on this. Thanks for the recommend. I'd wish I actually saw this first as I'd have searched out more Anime. I found it on Vimeo or Dailymotion in 2 parts. Probably watch a few movies first before investing in a series.
Glad you enjoyed it. I saw it at an impressionable age and thought it was the most badass thing ever lol. I'd try Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust next if you haven't seen it. Same director. Beautiful animation. Just make sure you are watching the 2000 film. There is a an older movie that is charming but not nearly as good.

bronk

Banned
Glad you enjoyed it. I saw it at an impressionable age and thought it was the most badass thing ever lol. I'd try Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust next if you haven't seen it. Same director. Beautiful animation. Just make sure you are watching the 2000 film. There is a an older movie that is charming but not nearly as good.
I love them both! But I like the older movie more myself. Watch em both!

Cutty Flam

Banned
@Moshimo

Keep us updated with Bleach bro, would love to hear some opinions on it. One I exhaust all interest on One Piece by discussing all theories and maybe watching all movies, I think I'll consider Bleach as the next major step in what I read/watch

I could read HxH but I'm not sure if Togashi will ever decide to consistently work. I've seen it all but from what I know, he's kind of out of it is the bottom line

I could read/watch Attack on Titan seasons 2 and 3 that would be fine. I hear they're great

Could really be a patron and buy Berserk manga volumes. I actually want to

And I will be watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean whenever that is, will try to read it as well if we get our hands on some manga that's been accurately written / transcribed in English

Karmic Raze

I’ve watched up to episode 5 of Bleach and it’s brought me to tears multiple times with how good the story is. The music, animation, story, character design, etc. is phenomenal. I can’t wait to get back to where I was at before. The sub is so freaking good. You should definitely watch it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’ve watched up to episode 5 of Bleach and it’s brought me to tears multiple times with how good the story is. The music, animation, story, character design, etc. is phenomenal. I can’t wait to get back to where I was at before. The sub is so freaking good. You should definitely watch it.
Damn, really? It moved you to tears? Or are you saying that there are some funny characters and moments that made you cry tears of laughter? But if the anime is that good, I’ll have a discussion with my anime sensei and give Bleach my best go, when I’m ready

Karmic Raze

There was some really great moments where emotions were high. I think Ichigo is my favorite Shonen protagonist. With other series I gravitated to other characters like Sasuke, Vegeta, and Todoroki, but Ichigo is freaking awesome.

Wow at episode 5 already? Wasn't it still the generic "monster of the week" anime at that point? I forgot when exactly the death god-thing started.

For me Bleach was like 5/10 at the beginning then quickly went up to 10/10 and then slowly descended down to 5/10 again (and then I just gave up on it).

But I'm glad it exists for opening 2, 3, 9, 12 and 13 alone.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

Wow at episode 5 already? Wasn't it still the generic "monster of the week" anime at that point? I forgot when exactly the death god-thing started.

For me Bleach was like 5/10 at the beginning then quickly went up to 10/10 and then slowly descended down to 5/10 again (and then I just gave up on it).

But I'm glad it exists for opening 2, 3, 9, 12 and 13 alone.

Yeah, it is kinda the “generic monster of the week” anime at this point, but the stories are still emotionally driven. Maybe I’m just a big crybaby, but I loved the emotions that were running wild.

Fbh

I've been out of the loop.
Anything good this season?

Tower of god seems interesting if only because I've seen it mentioned a bunch of times as one of the most popular manhwa and I'm probably never going to read it because I can't get past the kinda ugly art stye, simplistic backgrounds and that formatting that many manhwa use where every page is like 50% white (or black) background. (specially after reading The Breakers which had some amazing art)

Didn't realize Vagabond had been on hiatus for so long...

Yep, he probably isn't going back to it. It's really disappointing but I guess I'd rather have him drop it than half ass a rushed ending out of a sense of obligation.

Vagabond and Berserk are probably my 2 favorite manga and they'll never be finished :(

Last edited:

Labolas

MC a walking Deus Ex Machina.

Yeah, that's definitely the weakest part for me. If anything would get me to stop watching ToG, it's that.

Is Goblin Slayer any good? Saw a clip of it, looked kinda weak

As someone who enjoyed Goblin Slayer, it's decent. A lot of people *twitter* overblown the first episode as problematic, but all in all it's wasn't that bad.

Also been watching Gleipnir. You definitely get yandere vibes from this show. Will keep watching.

Sakura

I've been out of the loop.
Anything good this season?

Tower of god seems interesting if only because I've seen it mentioned a bunch of times as one of the most popular manhwa and I'm probably never going to read it because I can't get past the kinda ugly art stye, simplistic backgrounds and that formatting that many manhwa use where every page is like 50% white (or black) background. (specially after reading The Breakers which had some amazing art)
I'm enjoying Princess Connect, Kakushigoto, and uh 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…
Tried watching some other shows, but they just seemed to get their episodes delayed because of Corona, or were absolutely terrible like hachinan.

Guilty_AI

Not anime nor manga, but i've been reading Sevens this last few months. I'm really surprised how it didn't get at least a manga adaptation yet.

MagnesG

Banned
Not anime nor manga, but i've been reading Sevens this last few months. I'm really surprised how it didn't get at least a manga adaptation yet.
I didn't finish it. I think it was about a boy getting powers from his ancestors?

I don't remember why I stopped reading it halfway.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Naruto vs Bleach which is better

For manga and anime btw

I might read or watch Naruto first, if it’s comparable to HxH at all

Guilty_AI

I didn't finish it. I think it was about a boy getting powers from his ancestors?

I don't remember why I stopped reading it halfway.
That one. The story has some great character development, but admittedly it happens really slowly. Add that the MC is an insufferable wuss at the begining and we don't have a clear idea of where the story is going, it becomes really easy to drop it early on.

If you stopped at the first or second volume of the webnovel, i really recommend trying to read it again and just power through those first arcs. If you dropped it much later, then i guess you just didn't like it.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
That one. The story has some great character development, but admittedly it happens really slowly. Add that the MC is an insufferable wuss at the begining and we don't have a clear idea of where the story is going, it becomes really easy to drop it early on.

If you stopped at the first or second volume of the webnovel, i really recommend trying to read it again and just power through those first arcs. If you dropped it much later, then i guess you just didn't like it.
Nice. I need to start back from the first chaps though, need to refresh my memory. I don't have much tolerance these days reading the abundance of flowery words most pub japnovel have(been avoiding them less and less now) but I guess I can power through this one.

Wait, they have a LN version? How does that fare? I need to know if there're big changes on the story.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Nice. I need to start back from the first chaps though, need to refresh my memory. I don't have much tolerance these days reading the abundance of flowery words most pub japnovel have(been avoiding them less and less now) but I guess I can power through this one.

Wait, they have a LN version? How does that fare? I need to know if there're big changes on the story.
I guess its less about flowery words and more about nothing really happening and us getting irritated with MC. At least i don't see the story as the type that convolutes things too much, nor the author as the type that gets too far into his own ass. Its rather simple and direct storytelling.

There is a LN version and apparently (i haven't touched it yet) it does contain some major changes, like new characters, arcs, deeper developments, some changes to make the flow better (like introducing certain characters earlier), etc.
The consensus i've seen is that the LN is indeed better. However, the WN is still pretty good (so is translation), and most importantly, unlike the LN, it's already finished. This is the type of story that once you get into it, you wouldn't want to be left hanging so i'd recommend reading the WN. If you don't mind waiting for new volumes and translations, then i guess its fine to go directly to the LN.

Last edited:
Apart from Tower of God, the other big thing this season is Kaguya-sama: Love Is War S2.

Only watched first season so far, but that was already like the anime with the best writing ever. I just didn't like the basic story concept too much.

Second season should be even better.

Last edited:

Doom85

Watched the first three episodes of Tower of God, loving it so far. The MC is pretty standard, but it's balanced out by all the other characters being interesting and/or fun to follow. It's the main thing I wanted to follow this season (aside from Re:Zero Season 2, but......yeah). I was pretty interested in that anime Appare-Ranman about racing across America, but since it IIRC it wasn't on the list of anime that has guaranteed its production is completed I may hold off as delays are possible.

As someone who enjoyed Goblin Slayer, it's decent. A lot of people *twitter* overblown the first episode as problematic, but all in all it's wasn't that bad.

IIRC a big issue with the first episode was some dumbass at Crunchyroll uploaded the first episode and put the content rating as TV-PG. Yikes. So anyone who thought they were getting a TV-PG level fantasy action show instead got....well, you know. And then some people were all, "durr, but anime has that sort of content sometimes, why be so uptight about that?!" Okay, but those anime are rated correctly, and believe it or not some people due to personal experiences avoid series with that sort of content. I had a co-worker years ago who I lent my Welcome to the NHK DVDs to so he could watch them. Upon returning them a week later, he said, "I'm not mad as you didn't know this about me, but I actually had a severe struggle with suicidal depression years before we met and I have to avoid stuff that discusses it" (to clarify, Welcome to the NHK has two episodes where the MC unknowingly winds up joining an online group in a IRL meet planning to commit suicide, and the final episode involves fighting against suicidal thoughts as well). And I didn't look down on him for that or call him a "snowflake", I understood that some people have limitations to what they can watch and I respect that.

That was my issue with the controversy. When some people said the scene was too much for them but weren't necessarily saying the series was immoral or that others shouldn't watch it, there were still some fans who mocked and insulted them. That sort of behavior is just unacceptable. Like, bitch please, you watched a show, that doesn't make you a badass.

(just to be clear, obviously none of this is directed at you, Labolas, as I highly doubt you acted this way, as I think most people on GAF aren't that insensitive. Just clarifying a certain element of the controversy)

MagnesG

Banned
Goblin's story becomes tamer as it can be after that cave scene, I was expecting it to maintain its dark tone consistently throughout the story so I was disappointed a tad bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom