• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters
Naruto vs Bleach which is better

For manga and anime btw

I might read or watch Naruto first, if it’s comparable to HxH at all
For anime:
Naruto is better overall I'd say. Especially if you skip all fillers. It has better power balancing and is more deadly and the story is more interesting with twists and stuff.
Bleach gets really good after a slow start, but eventually falls into huge plot armor and power balance problems and in the end you really just watch it for the cool fight scenes anymore and not because you want to know how it continues.

Doom85

Bleach's first 63 episodes are better, nay they're fucking god-like to me. I love the shit out of everything from the start of the series to the conclusion of rescuing Rukia and Aizen revealing he's evil and peace-ing out. After that (and this is ignoring the filler arc), it begins the descent into pure garbage, it's not an immediate dive but the fall in quality starts slowly and just keeps building momentum.

Naruto I didn't finish, stopped as the final war began as I was tired of reading week by week and planned to binge it when the final arc finished. Just never got around to it. But the series, despite some definite bumps in the road, was generally enjoyable to me from the start to where I ended at the moment.

Labolas

Watched the first three episodes of Tower of God, loving it so far. The MC is pretty standard, but it's balanced out by all the other characters being interesting and/or fun to follow. It's the main thing I wanted to follow this season (aside from Re:Zero Season 2, but......yeah). I was pretty interested in that anime Appare-Ranman about racing across America, but since it IIRC it wasn't on the list of anime that has guaranteed its production is completed I may hold off as delays are possible.

IIRC a big issue with the first episode was some dumbass at Crunchyroll uploaded the first episode and put the content rating as TV-PG. Yikes. So anyone who thought they were getting a TV-PG level fantasy action show instead got....well, you know. And then some people were all, "durr, but anime has that sort of content sometimes, why be so uptight about that?!" Okay, but those anime are rated correctly, and believe it or not some people due to personal experiences avoid series with that sort of content. I had a co-worker years ago who I lent my Welcome to the NHK DVDs to so he could watch them. Upon returning them a week later, he said, "I'm not mad as you didn't know this about me, but I actually had a severe struggle with suicidal depression years before we met and I have to avoid stuff that discusses it" (to clarify, Welcome to the NHK has two episodes where the MC unknowingly winds up joining an online group in a IRL meet planning to commit suicide, and the final episode involves fighting against suicidal thoughts as well). And I didn't look down on him for that or call him a "snowflake", I understood that some people have limitations to what they can watch and I respect that.

That was my issue with the controversy. When some people said the scene was too much for them but weren't necessarily saying the series was immoral or that others shouldn't watch it, there were still some fans who mocked and insulted them. That sort of behavior is just unacceptable. Like, bitch please, you watched a show, that doesn't make you a badass.

(just to be clear, obviously none of this is directed at you, Labolas, as I highly doubt you acted this way, as I think most people on GAF aren't that insensitive. Just clarifying a certain element of the controversy)

Agreed, I was mainly talking about the twitter busybodies which were the same ones complaining Shield Hero.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Gundam build divers rerise delayed after episode 18 due to covid 19.
Welp, there goes the last of the shows I was watching this season that hadn’t been delayed yet. Can 2020 be over yet?

Shouta

On the Naruto vs Bleach, both shows are fantastic early on but Bleach falls off super hard after the Soul Society arc. Naruto is on and off its initial arc as well but it never falls off as badly as Bleach does. If you're watching the anime, don't watch the Filler unless you kinda like some of the side characters.

Karmic Raze

Naruto vs Bleach which is better

For manga and anime btw

I might read or watch Naruto first, if it’s comparable to HxH at all

I’m enjoying Bleach atm, but Naruto is my favorite anime of all time. Another thing I wanted to talk about is I accidentally had the dub defaulted on my Bleach Blu-ray and didn’t even realize it until like 5 minutes in. Lol. I have been conditioning myself to be a sub only guy, but dubs are nice sometimes. The Bleach dub as is the Naruto dub are both very well executed IMHO. I’m not trying to say that dubs are better or that subs are, but I tend to enjoy both depending on my mood and mindset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sakura

Gundam build divers rerise delayed after episode 18 due to covid 19.
Welp, there goes the last of the shows I was watching this season that hadn’t been delayed yet. Can 2020 be over yet?
I'm getting annoyed by the bi-weekly episodes of Railgun. If you can't do it because of the Coronavirus then just delay the whole thing or something, what's the point? Not like you are going to finish it by the time Summer season starts.

Oddspeak

About a month ago I burned through the entirety of the Kengan Ashura manga in only four days. I loved it. I haven't started Omega, as I want it to have more of a head start, because, you know, I might end up reading all the chapters currently out in just one day.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I started watching Samurai Champloo today, as I’ve never seen but I’ve heard a lot of recommendations over the years and Cowboy Bebop is one of my all time favorites. 2 episodes in and I’m enjoying it. I also recognize some of the voice actors’ voices and the music is great as expected too.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Thanks for all the replies about Naruto and Bleach. I still don’t know which one to go with lol but I think I might read Naruto’s manga first to start. I was told Natuto Shippuden is great too

But I listened to the OST of Naruto earlier, like maybe 7-8 songs and it wasn’t all that good imo so that’s why I’m likely going to read it instead of watch it

But with Bleach, my friend said the OST is one of the best, so I might have to watch Bleach when I do decide to commit

Cutty Flam

Banned
I don't like My Hero Academia. The protagonist is extremely whiny and annoying.

I don’t like it either. All Might looks pretty fucking ridiculous and his name is kinda cheesy. Deku looks like some random kid, nothing special. All they do is battle in an arena it seems. I really don’t understand what the hype and large following is about tbh, I was shown some fight scenes and none of them were interesting

I'm not the biggest My Hero Academia fan either, but one thing the anime does really well is pacing. It's just incredibly fast paced for a battle shounen. Like "training arcs" often only take one episode or even just half an episode, while in other animes of that genre they can easily take several episodes. And the anime switches between villain attacks and interesting challenges. Though I felt that goes into a loop eventually and then feels repetitive.

Last edited:

Azzurri

Watched Devilman Crybaby and man it was pretty bleak at the end, especially the last two episodes. I enjoyed it, but really wasn't a fan or the artstyle, it just felt sloppy.

Started watching Akame Ga Kill and I'm almost done, but I really like this series. I think it does really good job fleshing out most of the characters backstory's and I really enjoy the story and some of the deaths really hit ya in the feels.

Oh, and I get people don't like it because it 'kills off a lot of it's main cast' but honestly, it's much more realistic; even though, it does piss you off.

Oh and Lubbock is probably the best character in the show.

Last edited:

Durask

The Ride-On King continues with excellent world building.

z2.png

Durask

Watched Devilman Crybaby and man it was pretty bleak at the end, especially the last two episodes. I enjoyed it, but really wasn't a fan or the artstyle, it just felt sloppy.

Started watching Akame Ga Kill and I'm almost done, but I really like this series. I think it does really good job fleshing out most of the characters backstory's and I really enjoy the story and some of the deaths really hit ya in the feels.

Oh, and I get people don't like it because it 'kills off a lot of it's main cast' but honestly, it's much more realistic; even though, it does piss you off.

Oh and Lubbock is probably the best character in the show.

Anime actually killed off more people than the manga.

O-N-E

Watched Kaijuu no Kodomo (Children of the Sea)

Visually and auditorily a high-end experience (minus some morally questionable imagery). You can smell the wetness and feel the rain pounding against the characters.

HOWEVER, when it comes to plot, this movie out-Lynches David Lynch.

That's a very bad thing.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Which arcs would you guys say I should watch of Naruto, and then read of Naruto?

Are there any arcs that would be better suited, in your opinion to be read/watched depending on how great or amazing they are?

I’m looking to switch it up and see how to make it fresh and the best experience I can make of it. Since this is an anime I think people will talk about for a very long time

Which arcs would you guys say I should watch of Naruto, and then read of Naruto?

Are there any arcs that would be better suited, in your opinion to be read/watched depending on how great or amazing they are?

I’m looking to switch it up and see how to make it fresh and the best experience I can make of it. Since this is an anime I think people will talk about for a very long time
Are we talking pre-Shippuuden? If so the last arc (after the one focusing on Tsunade) is has a stronger impact in its anime format imo, I have fond memories of it.

I don't know about Shippuuden as I was a manga-only since the timeskip.

Doom85

Are we talking pre-Shippuuden? If so the last arc (after the one focusing on Tsunade) is has a stronger impact in its anime format imo, I have fond memories of it.

I don't know about Shippuuden as I was a manga-only since the timeskip.

(Shippuden spoilers)

I stopped shortly after this arc, but I will say the anime added a bunch of new scenes focusing on Shikamaru
dealing with Asuma's death
and they were superbly done.

Also, Sakura and Chiyo versus Sasori's 100 puppets has to be seen to be believed in anime form. Like, HOLY SHIT. The only downside is
since Sakura goes back to doing jack and shit for pretty much the rest of the series, it makes her hype moment in the first arc of Part 2 hurt more afterwards knowing all the potential that was wasted. Sure, Hinata is FAR better in my book, but I was all for Sakura improving as a character and Kishimoto briefly was doing it and then randomly went, "wait no, this is actually making her respectable as a character, got to stop that shit!" *sigh*

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Someone synced the Korean version of Tower of God with Crunchyroll subs and uploaded it to nyaa. Now I cant go back to the Japanese version at all.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m continuing to watch Samurai Champloo and I just finished watching the baseball episode LOL. I definitely didn’t expect an episode that funny and random but it’s my favorite so far. Next up I just have the 3-part finale.

I’m continuing to watch Samurai Champloo and I just finished watching the baseball episode LOL. I definitely didn’t expect an episode that funny and random but it’s my favorite so far. Next up I just have the 3-part finale.
Definitely the first episode that comes to mind whenever I see Samurai Champloo mentioned.

Javthusiast

Banned
Someone synced the Korean version of Tower of God with Crunchyroll subs and uploaded it to nyaa. Now I cant go back to the Japanese version at all.

Because the voice actors are better? Or because source is a manhwa and you think korean fits better in general?

I still haven't seen the show so no reference.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Because the voice actors are better? Or because source is a manhwa and you think korean fits better in general?

I still haven't seen the show so no reference.
I am going to read the Webtoon after it has finished airing. I want to stay consistent with the original terminology.
Because the voice actors are better?
Yeah, I think Korean voice acting sounds better for this show.

Cutty Flam

Banned
This has got to be one of the top five most satisfying entrances in One Piece (WARNING: BIG TIME SPOILERS late into Whole Cake Island arc / episode 832)

It's just fucking incredible. The meeting between the Firetank Pirates and the Ninja-Pirate-Mink-Samurai alliance that preceded this crashing; all their plans depended upon Luffy and if he carried out his part correctly. Such an amazing scene. Kidnapped the enemy and forced her to ruin Big Mom's precious, treasured wedding cake by breaking into said cake via Mirro-World, leading an army of ferral animals disguised as Luffy and they all burst out of the cake tasting and eating it, ruining it essentially right in front of Emperor of the Sea, Big Mom, all 85 members of her family, world renown officials, Germa 66, everyone sees it in the world sees the catastrophe as it develops moments later because of Morgans. The greatest part is Luffy confronting Big Mom face to face in her own territory with a taunting call directly to her as he devours a huge amount of the cake himself right in front of her--and then seeing Capone "Gang" Bege's smile, it is the ultimate final touch. Man. Incredible directing. Luffy's own rival to the death at some point most likely, smiling up at him as if he were a friend; proud, amazed at the feat accomplished by his temporary accomplice. You can see in his facial expression that he’s likely thinking something along the lines of “Can’t believe it, the crazy son of a bitch pulled it off to his word”...What makes it truly amazing is this is the first time he's ever confronted an Emperor of the Sea, face to face. And the fashion in which he’s doing it, couldn’t have been bolder. He did his way 100% lol, even letting the dirty animals of her own Kingdom trample all over and devour her wedding cake hahahahaha. Well played, Luffy. What a story, and what a legendary character. This is one for the ages

Last edited:
Am I crazy or didn't there used to be a "Manly anime" thread on Gaf a few years ago?

I remember seeing it and getting a few recommendations. Was it wiped?
I don’t recall a thread like that. Must be hard to find after all these years. If it’s a community thread, maybe it got buried due to the lack of activity after the 2017 Gaf cataclysm.

In any case, you should watch Sakigake! Otokojuku. It’s one the manliest manly anime out there.

GymWolf

so i need some advice for some good spokon (sport) or classic shonen anime with training, violence, upgrades and the usual stuff.

maybe something that come out in the last 5 years, i already watched the classic stuff.

thanks.

Last edited:
so i need some advice for some good spokon (sport) or classic shonen anime with training, violence, upgrades and the usual stuff.

maybe something that come out in the last 5 years, i already watched the classic stuff.

thanks.
Have you read Hajime no Ippo and Baki? They’re arguably classics but they’re also still ongoing.

As for classic shonen, check Orient by the author of Magi. Orient is quite recent and is great so far.

GymWolf

Have you read Hajime no Ippo and Baki? They’re arguably classics but they’re also still ongoing.

As for classic shonen, check Orient by the author of Magi. Orient is quite recent and is great so far.
Of course i watched baki and ippo (both multiple times), i probably watched any decent spokon or martial arts anime ever existed, but there are so many that maybe someone can escape my attention.

I'm searching for this orient but i can't find the anime...

Last edited:
Of course i watched baki and ippo (both multiple times), i probably watched any decent spokon or martial arts anime ever existed, but there are so many that maybe someone can escape my attention.

I'm searching for this orient but i can't find the anime...
There is no Orient anime as of now, only the manga which has less than 90 chapters at the moment.

Did you read/watch Kengan Ashura?

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This season is boring. Looks like I’ll go watch a classic anime I haven’t seen before

Sorry, I'm a bit late into the thread. I noticed your post from January. If you're still looking for something classic in anime that you may not have seen yet, I have some categorized suggestions:

Movie:

-A Wind Called Amnesia
-Dirty Pair: Project Eden
-Biohunter (amazing and forgotten classic)
-Psycho Diver
-Crusher Joe: The Movie
-Lupin the Third: Farewell to Nostradamus
-NeoTokyo
-Project A-ko (there are like 5 movies)

OVAs:

-Dominion Tank Police
-Megazone 23
-Laughing Target
-Dragon Half
-Gunsmith Cats
-Iria
-Dirty Pair OVA
-Tenchi Muyo OVA
-Video Girl So
-Ushio and Tora
-New Cutey Honey
-Geobreeders (this is a fun one that most haven't heard of)
-3X3 Eyes

TV series:

-Irresponsible Captain Tylor
-Bubblegum Crisis
-The Slayers TV, Next, Try
-Eatman (first one, 98 wasn't quite as great IMO)
-DNA2
-Ranma 1/2 series (ton of episodes...Seasons 1-4 are the best)
-Maison Ikkoku
-City Hunger
-Blue Seed
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Urusei Yatsura
-Lupin the Third Series 2 parts 1 & 2 (this was the wing of the series that Western audiences tend to be more akin to)

I figure based on your Avatar you've seen the original Berserk 😎

*most of these can be found subbed*

Mista

Banned
Sorry, I'm a bit late into the thread. I noticed your post from January. If you're still looking for something classic in anime that you may not have seen yet, I have some categorized suggestions:

Movie:

-A Wind Called Amnesia
-Dirty Pair: Project Eden
-Biohunter (amazing and forgotten classic)
-Psycho Diver
-Crusher Joe: The Movie
-Lupin the Third: Farewell to Nostradamus
-NeoTokyo
-Project A-ko (there are like 5 movies)

OVAs:

-Dominion Tank Police
-Megazone 23
-Laughing Target
-Dragon Half
-Gunsmith Cats
-Iria
-Dirty Pair OVA
-Tenchi Muyo OVA
-Video Girl So
-Ushio and Tora
-New Cutey Honey
-Geobreeders (this is a fun one that most haven't heard of)
-3X3 Eyes

TV series:

-Irresponsible Captain Tylor
-Bubblegum Crisis
-The Slayers TV, Next, Try
-Eatman (first one, 98 wasn't quite as great IMO)
-DNA2
-Ranma 1/2 series (ton of episodes...Seasons 1-4 are the best)
-Maison Ikkoku
-City Hunger
-Blue Seed
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Urusei Yatsura
-Lupin the Third Series 2 parts 1 & 2 (this was the wing of the series that Western audiences tend to be more akin to)

I figure based on your Avatar you've seen the original Berserk 😎

*most of these can be found subbed*
I appreciate you for writing me this. You sure have a good taste mate

Cutty Flam

Banned
Luffy's final fight in this arc versus his main target is going to be one for the ages. Not just one we will talk about for years. One that might be legendary. Like the last known fight where Luffy was put to the very tail end of his limits, with
Charlotte Katakuri
but I think the fight itself will likely be very complex and surprising much like the fight with
Donquixote Doflamingo
in terms of length and energy. It's going to be a blood bath and I actually am expecting/anticipating that Luffy
actually kills Kaido in this fight
, as shocking as it is to say and think. I think he
literally will kill Kaido.
It's the only way if you think about it

That is to say, if the pace set in the anime and manga regarding that one particular fight that already takes place, continues....

I can't imagine the fight being anything less than legendary if Oda takes full advantage of all that's he's built up, and the build up is simply insane....................

Kaido is so strong that he has the power to knock Luffy out and render him defenseless in one single blow, assuming Luffy is not able to / does not protect himself. One slip up, and the fight is over for Luffy. But now, based on what has occurred in the manga, Luffy has learned a new technique, and it is unbelievably powerful because now Luffy cannot wait to face him. You can tell in his confidence in the manga that he knows he now has the upper hand. Personally, I cannot wait. But it is well going to be worth the wait. Well worth it. Telling you guys, this fight, Emperor of the Sea, Kaido, versus Monkey D. Luffy will be the greatest fight in One Piece to date when the fight comes to a full stop and end. It's going to be breathtaking

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’m enjoying Bleach atm, but Naruto is my favorite anime of all time. Another thing I wanted to talk about is I accidentally had the dub defaulted on my Bleach Blu-ray and didn’t even realize it until like 5 minutes in. Lol. I have been conditioning myself to be a sub only guy, but dubs are nice sometimes. The Bleach dub as is the Naruto dub are both very well executed IMHO. I’m not trying to say that dubs are better or that subs are, but I tend to enjoy both depending on my mood and mindset.
Just curious, why do you consider Naruto your favorite of all time? I really want to know. Mainly because I aim to make Naruto my next major endeavor in anime/manga, as well as Berserk ( I may wait until it's finished though) and for some reason I have severe doubt about Naruto. I am an unbelievably huge fan of One Piece. And I just wonder if Naruto will be powerful enough to impress me? Is it as deadly as they say? How would you compare it to the severity of Hunter X Hunter if you've seen it? As in the fights, what's at stake in certain arcs

I just want to be sure that the anime/manga are of unbelievable quality. Like after watching it, I will be inspired for life and have witnessed a must see work essentially

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I appreciate you for writing me this. You sure have a good taste mate

I'm glad I was able to share my list. My wife is seeing some of these for the first time and she enjoys them quite a bit. I tried not to list really common titles from the 80s/90s (NGE, YYH Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc). Nothing wrong with those titles...but many have seen those already. I also tried to weed out popular titles from the 80s/90s which may not appeal to everyone (eg -- M.D. Geist, Madbull 34, Akira, Wicked City).

Did the original Berserk ever get a proper high-definition blu-ray release?

Mista

Banned
Did the original Berserk ever get a proper high-definition blu-ray release?
Hell yeah!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Wh
Hell yeah!

Whoa, PAL release, how sweet it is! I live in Mexico and have a Blu-ray player that works with all formats. Thanks for the link!

Top Bottom