• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters

Cutty Flam

Banned
Too many reasons. The main one was it just wasn't fun and that outside jobber #410 the characters never grew on me. I still think it is better than Naruto and Fairy Tail (ryona/punching wizards the series) though. Which were two other manga I could never get into, even at the height of their popularity.

Umy7YhX.jpg

Even plot couldn't save FT for me.

I don't remember that lol. I just remember him driving around mostly in that arc or making Gon arm wrestle for cash.

I don’t understand. ONE PIECE is life

I will say this though, Naruto for some reason never interested me. Even when I actively tried to learn about it from a friend, asking a ton of questions, I was never sold. I listened to like 8 songs from the OST and all were kind of tame tbh. Nothing exciting. The one thing that seems promising is that it centers around wars if I was listening to my friend correctly. A bunch of crazy wars? I don’t know how it could fail at all or Bleach for that matter. I have seen two fights from Bleach and I was impressed. I actually watched the final fight too lmao

I sort of want to one day read Naruto, but only if his son isn’t a disgrace; otherwise fuck it all haha. I would hate to read Naruto and Naruto Shippuden only to then want to read Baruto and to find out it’s just a lame cash grab

Really want to read Bleach one day too, or watch, whatever works out better

Fairy Tale I have zero interest in to check out. But I’m probably the most selective anime/manga fan on this board so it means nothing really

One thing I’ve always wondered about HxH is how far along is the manga in terms of its completion? The current major arc (The Dark Continent Expedition) seems very promising, but what is
the end goal now that Gon has met Ging? Is this entire story going to be about how Gon becomes a Hunter that lives up to his pop’s reputation and surpass it? Will that be done by saving the world from an even greater threat than the Chimera Ants a second or third time?

It’s something I wondered about, because Leorio still needs to become a doctor, Killua has to protect his sister until I guess he finds a way past his family? and Gon is maybe going to just be like Goku and continue to get stronger until becomes some kind of unstoppable God I guess? Killua appreciates his friends and gave up his ambition mostly to be around them more and just live it seems. Idk, the work is so good that it doesn’t need a clear goal but now that Gon has found Ging does an entirely different agenda within the Hunter Association and the world open up the story? It’s not clear yet

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Gon is no longer the protagonist. Or at least he has been benched for now. He cheated death which made it very tropey and he may even get his powers back one day. Killua has no clear goal outside living his OWN life same goes for Leorio. Kurapika is le avenger. Gin is the most disappointing character in the series and is a bastard to boot.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Gon didnt completely loose his powers, his nen abilities just went back to Episode 1 so he has to restart his training again. His sacrificed his nen, but then he got a new one from Alluka("Nanika" is probably Ai). The question is, will he still have the same abilities?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Gon is no longer the protagonist. Or at least he has been benched for now. He cheated death which made it very tropey and he may even get his powers back one day. Killua has no clear goal outside living his OWN life same goes for Leorio. Kurapika is le avenger. Gin is the most disappointing character in the series and is a bastard to boot.
I think Killua will stick closely to Gon still though, even though protecting his sister is his main priority. That's what I got out of it, from what I remember. Or did Killua set off somewhere after telling Gon about his sis? I don't recall. I like the direction Yoshihiro Togashi is taking it though. He 's so great with characters and the fights/battles/wars that he can gracefully set aside any protagonist and focus on another set of characters to lead the story if he chooses. Gin seems so simple and foolish but we know that cannot be the case. He's probably just a good sport and really is one of, if not the most powerful Hunters in their world. Potentially one of the most dangerous I should probably say, to be more accurate with my guess
Gon didnt completely loose his powers, his nen abilities just went back to Episode 1 so he has to restart his training again. His sacrificed his nen, but then he got a new one from Alluka("Nanika" is probably Ai). The question is, will he still have the same abilities?
I thought it might have been that his nen was completely wiped out, but I had no idea that he got a new nen type from Alluka. That's a great idea by Togashi imo because now things will be a lot more interesting when he decides to put the spotlight on Gon again

Karmic Raze

Bushido boy it would be great if you actually followed up or quoted people that answered your question.

Sorry about that. I just saw your 3 recommendations and the first 2 didn’t even give me any results on RightStuf.com. The 3rd was The Way of the House Husband, so I don’t know if that was your recommendation or not because you gave me a Japanese title for the manga.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry about that. I just saw your 3 recommendations and the first 2 didn’t even give me any results on RightStuf.com. The 3rd was The Way of the House Husband, so I don’t know if that was your recommendation or not because you gave me a Japanese title for the manga.
Use mangadex.

Rickyiez

Fairy Tale I have zero interest in to check out. But I’m probably the most selective anime/manga fan on this board so it means nothing really

Fairy Tale is one of the worst manga I've ever finished . At least Bleach or Naruto have their highs which are really really good , but FT has none of these . Mashima's other series Rave Master is much better .

Last edited:

O-N-E

The fanservice aka plot

That is a low IQ move.

There are fanservice compilers and centres out there. Torturing yourself with 100s of chapters of meh for Erza's tits? I can have pages upon pages of her jiggly bits in every angle and outfit on my screen within a couple seconds.

KielCasto

I finally was able to finish Deca-Dence! And... it's not worth the watch unless you like individuality and freedom themes and Kabu's the type of character you'd like. The first episode was the only good one from the series.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
OP has been finally updated. If (you) think anything else should be added do so!

brap

Banned
No opinion on the dub because I haven't watched either but I prefer Netflix subs. If they do those with the original "Fly me to the Moon" credits then I'm fine.
I don't like dubs at all but I know some people like the charming old Geneon dub. I can't remember what subs I used but I hear the netflix ones go from normal english to super literal and shit which I can't get down with.

KingDankKush

Neo Member
Some of my favorite anime films are:

1. Vampire Hunter D & Bloodlust
2. Ghost in a Shell
3. Animematrix
4. Spirited Away
5. Howl's Moving Castle
6. Princess Mononoke
7. Akira
8. Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
9. Berserk: The Golden Age Arc

Some of my favorite anime series:
1. Afro Samurai
2. Samurai Champloo
3. Hellsing OVA
4. Attack on Titan
5. Castlevania
6. Elfen Lied
7. Gantz
8. Basilisk
9. Claymore

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I don't like dubs at all but I know some people like the charming old Geneon dub. I can't remember what subs I used but I hear the netflix ones go from normal english to super literal and shit which I can't get down with.

If you ask me the sub drama is largely overstated. I don't think the subs are any worse than any other anime I've seen. There are a few inconsistencies, as with any sub, but the big backlash really came down to one scene where people allege that Netflix "erased the gay".

Interestingly enough the original VHS tapes for this scene are very similar to Netflix's translation. The DVD release is actually what added what some consider to be language supporting a gay relationship. Not only that but the new translation was actually provided by the studio behind Evangelion using their in house translator whereas the older DVD translation was not. If anything it is more accurate.

A lot of people got upset that Netflix removed what they perceived to be representation. Frankly the new translation does a better job of capturing the sentiment the characters are communicating. I find the anger to be mostly made up of people who built something up in their mind that wasn't really indicative of reality. They did a great job of pushing a narrative that it was "too literal".

The only real miss with the Netflix version was the licensing difficulty around the credits theme.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You can easily change subs though (I do it all the time because I hate the font some groups use) or when I rip my bds.

Bernkastel

Converting PGS subs in BD to ASS is so much of a pain(You need both SubExtractor and Aegisub) that I would trust the OCR groups instead(its harder than typesetting if you ask me). That said localizers usually pay less for dub voice acting than the original, so often quality of voice acting is lower and often the creator's intention is not properly conveyed to the audience. I like dub voice acting in some JRPGs but not in Anime.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hook me up with those VKLL eva subs fam. Hook me up with those good ass hardsubs if it's so easy.
Most converters have easy AF subtitles settings that do this for you.

KbGwwY2.jpg

XElm8Ds.jpg

Or handbreak. If you google decently enough you'll find people that already uploaded subs (by themselves) as well.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm talking about hardsubs.
Shit my bad. Like Bern said just use Aegisub and it is a pain to do. All of my players run soft subs perfectly so I only have older series with hard subs. I prefer soft subs.

Bernkastel

If only Aegisub was the only thing needed. Converting those PGS subs into ASS using SubExtractor drives me nuts. I love using Aegisub though.

brap

Banned
Shit my bad. Like Bern said just use Aegisub and it is a pain to do. All of my players run soft subs perfectly so I only have older series with hard subs. I prefer soft subs.
Yeah, trust me I've been doing that lmao. And OCR if possible. I prefer softsubs too but I also prefer fansubs over R1 subs and there's a lot of times where the old hardsub files are a million times better than the R1 ones. Like with Hikaru No Go for instance.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Converting PGS subs in BD to ASS is so much of a pain(You need both SubExtractor and Aegisub) that I would trust the OCR groups instead(its harder than typesetting if you ask me). That said localizers usually pay less for dub voice acting than the original, so often quality of voice acting is lower and often the creator's intention is not properly conveyed to the audience. I like dub voice acting in some JRPGs but not in Anime.
Yeah, trust me I've been doing that lmao. And OCR if possible. I prefer softsubs too but I also prefer fansubs over R1 subs and there's a lot of times where the old hardsub files are a million times better than the R1 ones. Like with Hikaru No Go for instance.
...yeah...making me feel like a casual. If it can't be streamed or easily purchased I don't watch it. :messenger_neutral:

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This season of Danmachi may actually have some proper plot progression. Elaina had a good first ep while Sleeping Princess was a bit dry. Overall I'm enjoying this season so far.

manfestival

Where can I see the list of all of the hottest new shows this season? I gotta see what I am gonna be replacing some shows with. GOS(I loved the outro), No Guns Life S2, and a couple others have ended. Still watching Fire Force s2 but I needs more.

manfestival

Here's most of it along with the countdown timers.

Holy balls a new Higurashi no Naku Ni? I remember that show being really creepy a long time ago.

I see a bunch of movies for things I like but I RARELY ever watch any anime movies. I rarely bother cause those movies are rarely canon too or they are summaries of the shows.

Gonna watch trailers and google some of those new top shows on there. Thank you.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Where can I see the list of all of the hottest new shows this season? I gotta see what I am gonna be replacing some shows with. GOS(I loved the outro), No Guns Life S2, and a couple others have ended. Still watching Fire Force s2 but I needs more.
Literally the OP.

Top Bottom