• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Labolas

Catching up on Chained Soldier. One thing that has put me off is that the regular chapters are censored and the omake chapters are not. Like why? It's so weird and offputting. Other than that, it's a decent harem manga that does something new with the subgenre.
19.jpeg

Caught up on Kaiju No. 8. And I still shocked that this getting a tv series when still feels relatively early in its run. A lot of characters got a power boost from where it last left off.
Also Caught up on Valhallian the Black Iron. It's probably the best Tenkaichi seinen manga with historical and mythical figures without being technically a Tenkaichi setting. Recommend.
55.jpg
2.jpg

Also Crayon Shin-chan is getting a movie. I wouldn't be surprised if this got an American theatrical release.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Saturday‘s are for new episodes of Nagatoro! This week’s episode was hype/exciting. Yoshi’s special move had me laughing haha.

Fate/stay night - Heaven's Feel
I. presage flower
(2017)
II. lost butterfly (2019)
III. spring song (2020)

I've been meaning to re-watch this film trilogy for awhile now.

The long journey of the 3rd and final route of the celebrated 2004 visual novel to an anime adaptation was quite an adventure. The last film was released right into the midst of a certain global event in 2020, and most theatrical exhibitions of the film were canceled including all of the American showings. I ended up waiting almost 2 years for the Blu-ray to be released in North America. Spoiler: It was worth the wait.

The various adaptations of Fate franchise properties to animation have been pretty uneven in quality. The best recent adaptation was the F/SN Unlimited Blade Works TV series, also done by ufotable, so there were certain expectations for this film trilogy. And let's not mince words here: ufotable always delivers on their animation quality. The sheer amount of action sequences crammed into the 3 films is matched only by the consistency of the amazing animation work and the dedication of the production teams which worked on them. If you're used to ufotable quality, this is pretty average for them, but compared to most other animation studios it will always be mind blowing tier production values.

The breathtaking animation quality is matched by the thunderous soundtrack. It defaults to a 2-channel mix but an expanded 5.1 channel track is also available and highly recommended. Yuki Kajiura's wonderful music flows from all channels, and the surround channels are also used aggressively all the time and battles whirl all around you and slam you with deep and floor shaking bass. If you're looking for an example of a reference animated film soundtrack, you've come to the right place. Watch these movies during the day so you can turn them up and rattle your windows without making your neighbors want to kill you afterwards.

There is a lot of content to cover in roughly 360 minutes of total run time. If aren't already familiar with Fate in some way, shape, or form, the pace of the story leaves no time for voluminous explanations of terminology and lore and you will be completely lost. If you're at least played FGO, well that's something. But ideally you will have watched the previously mentioned UBW TV series, which was much more leisurely paced and provides enough background which will adequately prepare you for the breathless pacing from start to finish with minimal exposition of these films.

Heaven's Feel is by far the bleakest of the 3 routes of F/SN, and the typical ufotable tone and mood combined with the typical Yuki Kajiura soundtrack properly fits the content being adapted here. Quite frankly, HF is really fucking dark, and that's saying a lot in Nasuverse where relentless bleakness is kind of the calling card of the entire franchise. Not much was needed to be censored here either, as it was targeted for theatrical exhibition and so the usual anime TV standards didn't apply. You are free to enjoy copious amounts of blood and gore without having to look over your shoulder at the standards committee.

If you're a fan of Fate, you've already watched these films. If you're not, well you have to understand that the story will probably be incomprehensible to you unless you have at least prepared in advance with experience in FGO and ideally the UBW TV series. But really, the story isn't that complicated. Boy meets girl, girl has uh issues, something something worms, the girl and the world must be saved. Simple, really. Highly recommended to fans of great animation.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Fate/stay night - Heaven's Feel
I. presage flower
(2017)
II. lost butterfly (2019)
III. spring song (2020)

I've been meaning to re-watch this film trilogy for awhile now.

The long journey of the 3rd and final route of the celebrated 2004 visual novel to an anime adaptation was quite an adventure. The last film was released right into the midst of a certain global event in 2020, and most theatrical exhibitions of the film were canceled including all of the American showings. I ended up waiting almost 2 years for the Blu-ray to be released in North America. Spoiler: It was worth the wait.

The various adaptations of Fate franchise properties to animation have been pretty uneven in quality. The best recent adaptation was the F/SN Unlimited Blade Works TV series, also done by ufotable, so there were certain expectations for this film trilogy. And let's not mince words here: ufotable always delivers on their animation quality. The sheer amount of action sequences crammed into the 3 films is matched only by the consistency of the amazing animation work and the dedication of the production teams which worked on them. If you're used to ufotable quality, this is pretty average for them, but compared to most other animation studios it will always be mind blowing tier production values.

The breathtaking animation quality is matched by the thunderous soundtrack. It defaults to a 2-channel mix but an expanded 5.1 channel track is also available and highly recommended. Yuki Kajiura's wonderful music flows from all channels, and the surround channels are also used aggressively all the time and battles whirl all around you and slam you with deep and floor shaking bass. If you're looking for an example of a reference animated film soundtrack, you've come to the right place. Watch these movies during the day so you can turn them up and rattle your windows without making your neighbors want to kill you afterwards.

There is a lot of content to cover in roughly 360 minutes of total run time. If aren't already familiar with Fate in some way, shape, or form, the pace of the story leaves no time for voluminous explanations of terminology and lore and you will be completely lost. If you're at least played FGO, well that's something. But ideally you will have watched the previously mentioned UBW TV series, which was much more leisurely paced and provides enough background which will adequately prepare you for the breathless pacing from start to finish with minimal exposition of these films.

Heaven's Feel is by far the bleakest of the 3 routes of F/SN, and the typical ufotable tone and mood combined with the typical Yuki Kajiura soundtrack properly fits the content being adapted here. Quite frankly, HF is really fucking dark, and that's saying a lot in Nasuverse where relentless bleakness is kind of the calling card of the entire franchise. Not much was needed to be censored here either, as it was targeted for theatrical exhibition and so the usual anime TV standards didn't apply. You are free to enjoy copious amounts of blood and gore without having to look over your shoulder at the standards committee.

If you're a fan of Fate, you've already watched these films. If you're not, well you have to understand that the story will probably be incomprehensible to you unless you have at least prepared in advance with experience in FGO and ideally the UBW TV series. But really, the story isn't that complicated. Boy meets girl, girl has uh issues, something something worms, the girl and the world must be saved. Simple, really. Highly recommended to fans of great animation.
Is this currently available to watch anywhere online? or you bought the blu-rays? I wouldn't mind seeing these again...

Is this currently available to watch anywhere online? or you bought the blu-rays? I wouldn't mind seeing these again...
I bought the Blu-rays. They weren't cheap.

I don't know if they are streaming anywhere but it's an insult to the animation quality to watch a shitty stream of these films IMO

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished watching the first 5 episodes of Nier. I haven't played through the game but I'm enjoying the anime. I knew who 2B was because she's the main character but 9S is a very interesting character as well. I also know who Kaine is just from seeing her designs but I look forward to seeing when she shows up and what she's like too.

Last edited:
Persona 3: The Movie
#1 - Spring of Birth
(2013)
#2 - Midsummer Knight's Dream (2014)
#3 - Falling Down (2015)
#4 - Winter of Rebirth (2016)

For some reason, I remember watching the first one and then being annoyed that they were releasing one a year. So I decided to just wait until they were all released, and then I guess I forgot about them. The recent re-release of Persona 3 Portable on all platforms reminded me these movies exist, so I watched them all.

The P3 film quadrilogy covers only the events of The Journey. If you have played P3, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, these movies aren't for you anyways. P3 is an immensely long game, and in order to condense the events of an 80+ hours game into 4 movies which only total about 375 minutes of run time, the story is very rushed and many things happen with little background or explanation. You will not know what's going on unless you have played P3.

What we do have here is a surprisingly faithful attempt at trying to coherently tell the emotionally dense story of P3 without actually skipping anything because of the tight time constraints. I admit that it was so long since I played P3 that I had forgotten most of the story and the movies were nice for reminding me about all the stuff that happened. They also reminded me that P3 has far and away the best story, the best characters, the best setting, and the best themes of the "3D era" of Persona, and by that I mean Personas 3, 4, and 5. Any other longtime fans of the series will offer their own opinions as to which Persona had the best story but quite frankly you either agree 3 was the best or you're wrong. Deal with it.

The animation was produced by Aniplex's internal anime studio A-1 Pictures, with the exception of the first film. In general, plenty of budget was allocated to the many battle sequences which fill the 4 films, and quite a bit less budget was allocated for non-battle sequences. The general quality of animation tended to improve from one film to the next, while the first movie had some really sus looking faces, by the last film faces were generally drawn reasonably well enough to be recognizable as faces. I would say that overall the movies look decent and they do manage to look good when it counts the most. Similarly, the audio of the movies sound fine with clearly audible dialogue and the soundtrack is heavily carried by the music of Persona video game music computer Shoji Meguro who contributes remixed version of game tracks and also new tracks just for the movies.

The presentation is alright, but the strength of these movies is in the actual storyline of P3. Unlike the 2 games which came afterwards, P3 tends to be closer thematically to other games under the Shin Megami Tensei franchise umbrella. Themes of accepting mortality and death, the meaning of friendship and loss, and of course the end of the world are prevalent in this narrative and closely align with SMT titles in ways that the stories of P4 and P5 do not. This is why P3 is the best one, and progressively from P4 to P5 the Persona games have grown less and less connected with the franchise they originated from.

If you have played P3 and you haven't watched these movies, I would think you should. Not only will you get to enjoy this fantastic story again, you can completely ignore the recent P3P re-release and keep waiting and hoping that Atlus will get off their asses and produce a proper remaster of P3 which finally merges the FES and P3P branches back together. If you haven't played P3 or are scarcely aware of what Persona even is, this probably isn't the place to start.

Final Score: 8/10 would shoot myself in the head again

So I'm currently watching Dragon Ball super for the first time. I knew about characters like Hit, Jiren, or Kefla because of Dragon Ball FighterZ already, same with Ultra Instinct... but by the goddess, did episode 110 get me hyped as fuck. It felt like watching Goku turn SSJ against Freeza, decades ago, all over again, I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like for people watching it unfold "live" 5 years ago.

Labolas

Takahiro Kimura has passed away. Known famously for doing the character designs of Code Geass. I known his work from Dirty Pair Flash, Kiddy Grade, GunXSword, Betterman, Variable Geo, and other anime. RIP to a legend.

Doom85

Takahiro Kimura has passed away. Known famously for doing the character designs of Code Geass.

Okay, I was baffled by this initially as it had been well established that manga group CLAMP did the character designs for Code Geass (as they fit their style to a tea, Suzaku is basically older Syaoran from Cardcaptor Sakura) but looking into it it seems CLAMP provided the character designs and it was Kimura‘s job to translate that into fitting into the anime so that the animators could utilize the designs well, and Kimura has studied CLAMP’s work extensively so he made sure as little was lost in the conversion as reasonably possible.

The More You Know Kitty GIF

Regardless, RIP to someone who heavily contributed to a lot of great titles.

Also, holy shit, Labolas, does this mean you’ve actually seen Betterman?! I thought I was the only one out of like 17 people who have seen that show! It’s so obscure, but it’s pretty enjoyable for what it is.

Labolas

Also, holy shit, Labolas, does this mean you’ve actually seen Betterman?! I thought I was the only one out of like 17 people who have seen that show! It’s so obscure, but it’s pretty enjoyable for what it is.

Yeah I originally watched it back when it was on G4/Techtv. Had a couple dvds of it before selling it off.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Well, watched another bunch of shows and movies since my last post so might as well post my thoughts here

Iwm8oXj.jpg

First up is Sound! Euphonium and it's quickly become one of my favorite anime ever. When I first started watching anime over 20 years ago I would've never given a show like this the light of day since it's basically just a bunch of schoolkids aiming for their band to go to Nationals, but honestly it's a fantastic watch. I love most characters, it's believable, looks and sounds great... Even the title drop at the end of Season 2 is really well done. Got nothing but praise for this and can't wait for the next season.

99zbX8h.jpg

Liz and the Blue Bird is a spin-off movie from Sound! Euphonium, taking a subplot from the mainshow and making it into a movie. If you've seen the mainshow it's definitely worth a watch as it gives the spotlights to some of the sidecharacters that don't get as much attention otherwise.

x1OPriw.jpg

Hyouka is a weird mystery/slice-of-life show but strangely addictive, mostly due to the adorable main character. I'm really not sure how to describe this show, but yeah, it's a KyoAni production so I'm pretty sure most people know it anyway.

66j6ZbN.jpg

I went into Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms blind, and holy shit, I wasn't prepared for all the feels. An immortal girl flees her home after an enemy attacks her homeland and finds a newborn baby she starts taking care for. It's a very touching and heartfelt story about immortality and aging and I'm honestly surprised it doesn't seem to be that well known. At times it gave me massive Violet Evergarden feels, it looks stunning, sound great and tells a wonderful story.

yf9kjLE.jpg

And finally Laid-Back Camp Season 2, and honestly, this show has no business being as entertaining as it is. It's just a show about a group of girls who like camping but it's executed brilliantly. It's a perfect show to watch a couple of episodes before bed.

Watched some more shows in the past few weeks but these 5 I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone with any kind of interest in anime. Not sure what I'm gonna watch next but I got a couple of hundred gigs of shows lined up so it's just a matter of what genre I feel like watching

Doom85

Well, watched another bunch of shows and movies since my last post so might as well post my thoughts here

Iwm8oXj.jpg

First up is Sound! Euphonium and it's quickly become one of my favorite anime ever. When I first started watching anime over 20 years ago I would've never given a show like this the light of day since it's basically just a bunch of schoolkids aiming for their band to go to Nationals, but honestly it's a fantastic watch. I love most characters, it's believable, looks and sounds great... Even the title drop at the end of Season 2 is really well done. Got nothing but praise for this and can't wait for the next season.

99zbX8h.jpg

Liz and the Blue Bird is a spin-off movie from Sound! Euphonium, taking a subplot from the mainshow and making it into a movie. If you've seen the mainshow it's definitely worth a watch as it gives the spotlights to some of the sidecharacters that don't get as much attention otherwise.

x1OPriw.jpg

Hyouka is a weird mystery/slice-of-life show but strangely addictive, mostly due to the adorable main character. I'm really not sure how to describe this show, but yeah, it's a KyoAni production so I'm pretty sure most people know it anyway.

66j6ZbN.jpg

I went into Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms blind, and holy shit, I wasn't prepared for all the feels. An immortal girl flees her home after an enemy attacks her homeland and finds a newborn baby she starts taking care for. It's a very touching and heartfelt story about immortality and aging and I'm honestly surprised it doesn't seem to be that well known. At times it gave me massive Violet Evergarden feels, it looks stunning, sound great and tells a wonderful story.

yf9kjLE.jpg

And finally Laid-Back Camp Season 2, and honestly, this show has no business being as entertaining as it is. It's just a show about a group of girls who like camping but it's executed brilliantly. It's a perfect show to watch a couple of episodes before bed.

Watched some more shows in the past few weeks but these 5 I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone with any kind of interest in anime. Not sure what I'm gonna watch next but I got a couple of hundred gigs of shows lined up so it's just a matter of what genre I feel like watching

Not watched Hyouka yet, but I know the general setup, and thus this video has always made me laugh my ass off:

My favorite part:

”Oreki…it hurts when I poop.”
“Shut up!”

LOL, just so random.

Labolas

Finally got around to finishing SpyXFamily. And yeah, not much has change about my opinion of the series. It's fantastic. And I don't think it is a generic slice of life anime. So my enjoyment of the series remained consistent throughout I'm bumping up my previous score. (9/10)

Currently watching Vinland Season 2 and man, what a fucking show. The feels and emotion that put out on display is simply amazing. A lot of slow and drawn out scenes to build upon Thorfinn and Einar's relationship. Einar is genuinely a good dude that has all the reason to be bitter at the world and be swallowed by hate. Ironically enough, he is a damn great foil to Thorfinn, who has completely lost his reason to go on living. I'm convinced that anyone complaining about this season's deliberate storytelling saying it's bad is either has bad taste or doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. Easily the best of the season.
47d578e75eb2c08e71fa5efb33d75c69902bdd0d.gifv
0073b411f85274484fa93e447be9c1093fffefd7.gifv

I think people saying that Vinland Saga (season 1 or 2, doesn’t matter) is any good have bad taste - imo. I think it’s a bad show with terrible characters and character development.

Pejo

I think people saying that Vinland Saga (season 1 or 2, doesn’t matter) is any good have bad taste - imo. I think it’s a bad show with terrible characters and character development.
Hard agree, the only good episodes of S1 were when Thors was still in it, and a brief good episode that focused on Thorkell. Thorfinn was one of the worst "leads" i've seen in an anime in years. S2 is a pass from me.

Focusing on that Danish king subplot was a huge waste of time, IMO. That whole story could have been told in half an episode and been better off for it.

Labolas

Hard agree, the only good episodes of S1 were when Thors was still in it, and a brief good episode that focused on Thorkell. Thorfinn was one of the worst "leads" i've seen in an anime in years. S2 is a pass from me.

Focusing on that Danish king subplot was a huge waste of time, IMO. That whole story could have been told in half an episode and been better off for it.
Chappelles Show Lol GIF
Y'all both straight capping and you know it. Saying it's completely a bad series when there are objectively terrible and worse series out there is completely foolish. Sorry this isn't typical shonen slop. This is something that's actually has some meaningful character development.

Saying you don't care for the series or it isn't your thing is one thing but objectively bad, no. Plenty of long time older anime fans like the series for reason.

And there's no way in hell, Thornfinn is one of the worst protags in years. When you have characters like Kirito, Subaru or Keyaru as leads. Subaru, in particular I recall, was discuss as being one of worst and being the most hated from various people. You can't point to various people saying Thornfinn is one of the worst protags because objectively there are worse leads that don't have a tenth of nuance development or self reflection he has.

Pejo

Chappelles Show Lol GIF
Y'all both straight capping and you know it. Saying it's completely a bad series when there are objectively terrible and worse series out there is completely foolish. Sorry this isn't typical shonen slop. This is something that's actually has some meaningful character development.

Saying you don't care for the series or it isn't your thing is one thing but objectively bad, no. Plenty of long time older anime fans like the series for reason.

And there's no way in hell, Thornfinn is one of the worst protags in years. When you have characters like Kirito, Subaru or Keyaru as leads. Subaru, in particular I recall, was discuss as being one of worst and being the most hated from various people. You can't point to various people saying Thornfinn is one of the worst protags because objectively there are worse leads that don't have a tenth of nuance development or self reflection he has.
I'll give you that there was a bit of hyperbole in my post when you reminded me of how shit Subaru was, but Thorfinn, at least up to the end of S1, had zero character development. Just mindbroken by Askeladd and meandered/moped his way through the whole season like that, and they didn't even give him a payoff in the end. It was like watching a ball rolling on a treadmill and then falling off the side at the end.

There were interesting things going on in the world, some of the characters were entertaining, but for the main story, it was absolute shit. I kept hoping we'd see Thorfinn grow or give up his path of pathetic revenge, but he was basically a background character to the femboy prince for at least 1/3 of the season.

Maybe S2 fixes some of that, but I won't get fooled again by manufactured netflix hype.

Labolas

I'll give you that there was a bit of hyperbole in my post when you reminded me of how shit Subaru was, but Thorfinn, at least up to the end of S1, had zero character development. Just mindbroken by Askeladd and meandered/moped his way through the whole season like that, and they didn't even give him a payoff in the end. It was like watching a ball rolling on a treadmill and then falling off the side at the end.

There were interesting things going on in the world, some of the characters were entertaining, but for the main story, it was absolute shit. I kept hoping we'd see Thorfinn grow or give up his path of pathetic revenge, but he was basically a background character to the femboy prince for at least 1/3 of the season.

Maybe S2 fixes some of that, but I won't get fooled again by manufactured netflix hype.
I think it's about Thornfinn being essentially a child soldier and his sole motivation being vengeance (S1) and the ramifications of those circumstances and it being ripped from him, leaving him with nothing (S2).

The rest of your issues w/the series is fine and reasonable. Again I'm completely fine w/your comments on it not being your thing and that's fine. I too have been in that situation as well with plenty of anime.

S2 may not be for you because it is slower paced and it's still dealing with the conclusion of the first season. And yeah, Netflix (Dinsey too btw) tend to manufacture shit.

Last edited:

Pejo

I think it's about Thornfinn being essentially a child soldier and his sole motivation being vengeance (S1) and the ramifications of those circumstances and it being ripped from him, leaving him with nothing (S2).

The rest of your issues w/the series is fine and reasonable. Again I'm completely fine w/your comments on it not being your thing and that's fine. I too have been in that situation as well with plenty of anime.

S2 may not be for you because it is slower paced and it's still dealing with the conclusion of the first season. And yeah, Netflix (Dinsey too btw) tend to manufacture shit.
I guess my biggest frustration is that it was set up perfectly for Thorfinn to walk away from Askeladd and his sick manipulation and revenge, but they chose to just double down on it. Like you could have had a satisfying ending in several different ways, but they chose not to. I expected that Thorfinn would find something or someone to live for, search out his family, any number of things that could redeem him, but again - no. They even set up that specific scenario, like the family that took him in and healed him up, only for him to leave like a bastard and let them all die or worse. I just can't get behind a character like that.

Maybe they are specifically going for that type of show, but it's just not my jam. Sucks too, I'd be in to watch a show about the adventures of Thors and more about his time in various wars. He's much more likeable of a character than Thorfinn is.

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

We both did that it is our opinion - I don’t think we said it is objective. I also think that I have quite a high threshold when it comes to visual media - whether it is anime or TV series or movies. Most anime get either 5/10 or 6/10 from me - including the highly rated ones like Mob Psycho season 3 or Cyberpunk: Edgerunners.

Labolas

I guess my biggest frustration is that it was set up perfectly for Thorfinn to walk away from Askeladd and his sick manipulation and revenge, but they chose to just double down on it. Like you could have had a satisfying ending in several different ways, but they chose not to. I expected that Thorfinn would find something or someone to live for, search out his family, any number of things that could redeem him, but again - no. They even set up that specific scenario, like the family that took him in and healed him up, only for him to leave like a bastard and let them all die or worse. I just can't get behind a character like that.

Maybe they are specifically going for that type of show, but it's just not my jam. Sucks too, I'd be in to watch a show about the adventures of Thors and more about his time in various wars. He's much more likeable of a character than Thorfinn is.
Thorfinn's only reason being there in the first place was for getting revenge for his dad. He learned to fight and survive because of Askeladd. Askeladd in some ways was his inspiration to get on the path of the warrior. Hell, the very image of the warrior is why he looked to his father so much. Albeit, it isn't the only reason he looked up to Thorrs. Also he feels like if Askeladd is going to die, it's going to be by his hands. And well, it isn't like Thornfinn has done some fuck up things. S2 does dive into Thorfinn's psyche quite a bit. You can tell that he realizes he has done fuck up things and has sort of PSTD from it.

Last edited:

Labolas

We both did that it is our opinion - I don’t think we said it is objective. I also think that I have quite a high threshold when it comes to visual media - whether it is anime or TV series or movies. Most anime get either 5/10 or 6/10 from me - including the highly rated ones like Mob Psycho season 3 or Cyberpunk: Edgerunners.

Lol ok, but you saying it like it was objective fact. There are series that are objectively bad or mediocre that you can point to. And if you think majority of anime or whatever is 5/6 to you and then that's speaks to ONLY you and your tastes. I was speaking only objectively.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm watching Tomo chan is a girl. It's a cute show. Surprisingly restrained fanservice wise. I'm having a hard time getting into much new shows lately. Chainsaw man was good but other than that I can't think of much from the last few years that's really grabbed me.

I'm watching Tomo chan is a girl. It's a cute show. Surprisingly restrained fanservice wise. I'm having a hard time getting into much new shows lately. Chainsaw man was good but other than that I can't think of much from the last few years that's really grabbed me.
Do you need some recommendations? I’m sure I can find something interesting for you.

drganon

If you haven't watched it already, bocchi the rock is a really good slice of life/music show.

So, after I finished watching Dragon Ball super, I read the manga up to the end of the ToP and watched Broly. When does the Super Heroes movie take place, should I continue reading the manga before watching it?

Doom85

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

Subara as one of the worst?

Arrested Development No GIF

Like, I get he may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but the dude goes through legit character development in Season 1 alone. The only people who be acting like he’s objectively a bad protagonist either A) are butthurt he chose Emilia over Rem (as someone who prefers Rem, I’m fine with his decision, people love who they love), B) stopped watching at episode 14 or earlier, and/or C) are annoyed he’s not the standard OP isekai protagonist that frequently plagues most isekai yet some people (particularly some of the Japanese fan base) love this shit.

(also I know a few of the JoJo’s fan base got petty when Re:Zero Season 1 was airing as the hype was stealing focus from the JoJo part that was airing, IIRC it was Part 4, so probably a few haters from there too)

To put it in the same sentence as OP Mary Sue “a piece of cardboard has more depth than me” Kirito is legit disrespectful.

Labolas

Subara as one of the worst?

Arrested Development No GIF

Like, I get he may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but the dude goes through legit character development in Season 1 alone. The only people who be acting like he’s objectively a bad protagonist either A) are butthurt he chose Emilia over Rem (as someone who prefers Rem, I’m fine with his decision, people love who they love), B) stopped watching at episode 14 or earlier, and/or C) are annoyed he’s not the standard OP isekai protagonist that frequently plagues most isekai yet some people (particularly some of the Japanese fan base) love this shit.

(also I know a few of the JoJo’s fan base got petty when Re:Zero Season 1 was airing as the hype was stealing focus from the JoJo part that was airing, IIRC it was Part 4, so probably a few haters from there too)

To put it in the same sentence as OP Mary Sue “a piece of cardboard has more depth than me” Kirito is legit disrespectful.
alright-hands-up.gif

Lol, don't shoot the messenger. I thought of the three protagonists that people consistently complain about and were saying they're were the worst, take it up w/them. I'm not that crazy about isekais in general so I have no interest in discussing that.

Last edited:
Why do you hate it?
I would say I hate, I just dislike it (which is different from most shows which I am indifferent to. I think it is because of Thorfinn. In the first season, everyone was calling badass but I thought he was very one note with constant rage and his cruelty. And then in the second season, it’s a U-turn. That’s not character development. So I dislike him in both S1 and S2. The story also never ever seemed to be going anywhere to me. And I dislike the animation style - it may be fluid but it is not pleasant to look at. This whole combination turned into something that annoys me.

Labolas

I would say I hate, I just dislike it (which is different from most shows which I am indifferent to. I think it is because of Thorfinn. In the first season, everyone was calling badass but I thought he was very one note with constant rage and his cruelty. And then in the second season, it’s a U-turn. That’s not character development. So I dislike him in both S1 and S2. The story also never ever seemed to be going anywhere to me. And I dislike the animation style - it may be fluid but it is not pleasant to look at. This whole combination turned into something that annoys me.
So by your own admission, you just dislike it, which is fine, nothing wrong with that. But calling people liking it having no taste is a hyperbolic statement. This is like me shitting on OP fans because I simply don't like it. I can recognize why it has so many fans and why it was heralded as one of the big 3 for so long.

As for the rest of your criticisms, I don't think that those stick because it isn't a point of contention with a lot of fans, it's just things you personally didn't like. The series (the anime) isn't perfect by no means but it is a pretty good series.

Kurotri

I genuinely wish Bungo Stray Dogs was more popular. It's a one of a kind show imo, the directing and the writing really strikes a chord with me and it gets better every season. Praise Bones. If anyone is interested be warned that the first season is kinda weak and can get repetetive at times, but season 2 onwards it blooms into a very enjoyable and intriguing watch.

Last edited:
So by your own admission, you just dislike it, which is fine, nothing wrong with that. But calling people liking it having no taste is a hyperbolic statement.
It was an overstatement - I was replying in jest to the person who was making an overstatement about people not liking it.

hehehexd

Neo Member
I genuinely wish Bungo Stray Dogs was more popular. It's a one of a kind show imo, the directing and the writing really strikes a chord with me and it gets better every season. Praise Bones. If anyone is interested be warned that the first season is kinda weak and can get repetetive at times, but season 2 onwards it blooms into a very enjoyable and intriguing watch.
definitely agree with this, it gets really good to the point that i need to shift to the manga since i already catch up with the anime lul

Labolas

Saw a legit copy of Banya The Explosive Delivery Man. I think this is one of the first manhwa that has an official English translation back in 2006 . The art looks great and still holds up. You can still get physical copies of it online but it isn't totally cheap or that easy to find.
iu

iu

iu

It was an overstatement - I was replying in jest to the person who was making an overstatement about people not liking it.
Nah, it wasn't an overstatement about people thinking it was straight up bad though. Not liking something isn't the same as hating something. The problem was that people saying it was outright bad and that in of itself is hyperbolic.

Last edited:
Nah, it wasn't an overstatement about people thinking it was straight up bad though. Not liking something isn't the same as hating something. The problem was that people saying it was outright bad and that in of itself is hyperbolic.
Opinions come in different shapes or forms. If someone think something isn’t good, they can definitely label it as bad.

Labolas

Opinions come in different shapes or forms. If someone think something isn’t good, they can definitely label it as bad.
Eh, but again opinions like that can be viewed as bad or misleading if they're only dealing in extremes of only things being good or bad which is the problem.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Danmachi season 4 has ended and that was the best season so far! I don't even care about Ais anymore, Ryu is the best. I'm guessing it's going to be a long time before we get a season 5 since we're almost caught up to where the novels are.

Pejo

Danmachi season 4 has ended and that was the best season so far! I don't even care about Ais anymore, Ryu is the best. I'm guessing it's going to be a long time before we get a season 5 since we're almost caught up to where the novels are.
It's been a while since I watched Danmachi, is S4 the red light district arc? If so, yea, that was the best arc of the show IMO.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's been a while since I watched Danmachi, is S4 the red light district arc? If so, yea, that was the best arc of the show IMO.
That's season 3 (which was also great). Season 4 is Bell and Ryu in the deep dungeon floors.

Top Bottom