• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Fbh

Don't know how I had missed Dandadan.

Just binge read it over the last few days. Such a fun mix of comedy, action with a bit of romance and slice of life moments.
The characters are awesome, the scenarios are really creative, the humor is on point and this has easily some of the best art of any weekly series on Jump

Labolas

Don't know how I had missed Dandadan.

Just binge read it over the last few days. Such a fun mix of comedy, action with a bit of romance and slice of life moments.
The characters are awesome, the scenarios are really creative, the humor is on point and this has easily some of the best art of any weekly series on Jump
Dude, I've been raving about it since it only had handful of chapters. Damn good series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Celcius

°Temp. member
That ending to Nagatoro was so heart warming... I really hope we get a season 3.
Also, it's too bad that Nier is getting yet another delay. I haven't played the game but I'm really enjoying the anime.

Dude, I've been raving about it since it only had handful of chapters. Damn good series.
I'm a weekly reader now. Didn't start it from the beginning but I'll get to that. Really, really good series.
The new Jojo arcs really looks incredible
I was kinda surprised by how good and fast-paced the second chapter was. Really solid scene with the cops though I don't know exactly what Jodio's stand does. The reveal at the end was really unexpected. Overall I really like the emphasis on the new setting (we see a lot of backgrounds) and the "jobs" that the quartet carries out. That small Stand has a really cool shape.

Edit: holy fucking shit. I just realized that this new JoJolands chapter, where the characters rent a Chevrolet Camaro, came out at the exact same time my brother and I rented the same fucking car on a trip. Mind fucking blown.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Oh man, I should really catch up with Danmanchi it seems. I watched the first season years ago, and then up to Season 3 plus all the specials and movies last year.

Good to hear S4 turned out good. Also, did anyone ever really care about Ais? I mean, there's a lot of reasons to like the show, but she has never been interesting enough to even care about imo.

Labolas

Jinrui-Shoku: Blight of Man is a new SJ manga. It has a horror element, so I already am interest in where it goes. Only 3 chapters out currently. Keeping my eye out for this.
277658.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Doom85

holy shit GIF

the king has returned GIF

Yeah, I really need to get around to Season 2. I really enjoy a few isekai (No Game No Life, Konosuba), and the rest are either average or meh to me, but Season 1 of Re:Zero slapped harder than all of them IMHO.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Pray for Mappa's staff.

Not the same director and MAPPA isn't exactly filled with talent but visually that didn't look poor... This arc and Shibuya are fucking GOOD. After that though? Eh current JJK is just OK.

Blue Lock S2 and Episode Nagi getting a movie. I'm finna read the manga.

Labolas

Not the same director and MAPPA isn't exactly filled with talent but visually that didn't look poor... This arc and Shibuya are fucking GOOD. After that though? Eh current JJK is just OK.
There have been work of theirs that haven't been of high quality but I wouldn't say that the studio doesn't put out quality work, considering the amount of work they get and what type of work they get speaks for itself.

As for JJK, I wasn't super sold on the series but I'll continue watching because I like the setting and premise so much.

Labolas

This was my literal reaction when I saw the exterior art then what was the interior art:
prUSp4z.jpg

Caught up on the CSM manga, it's good but idk if it's as good as the first part.

Edit: Check out ONE's new manga Versus. It's pretty unique. It takes different versions of humanity and their "natural enemy" who are all close to wiping humanity out and fused them all into one world. For example, the manga starts off with the main cast being in a fantasy setting who are of swords and magic against their natural enemy which would be demons. Another major group of characters are the sci-fi humans against machines. Both of these versions of humans are at the end of their rope, losing an unwinnable war. Their last resort is getting help from outside their respective world. Which causes a fusion of sorts combining their world with another. Now there's a collective of 13 worlds that we know of that are fused into one along with their enemies.

The artist on this is known for doing the art for Tenkaichi: Battle to Decide Japan's Strongest Martial Artist. Azuma Kyotaro. His art is pretty damn good.
Ff90Tr_VsAEDIvk

Last edited:

Ce'Nedra

Neo Member
Jinrui-Shoku

Looks awesome those two pics, maybe I give an opportunity alongside Gachiakuta

Blue Lock S2 and Episode Nagi getting a movie. I'm finna read the manga.

I'm amazed with Blue Lock manga (started reading when the chapter 20 just dropped) but honestly, the Anime is awful, the animation is an insult to the Manga.

New Kenshin trailer.

My man Aoshi is looking good.

Kenshin is one of my childhood animes but I am wondering why almost every 10 years (more or less) it gets a re-adaptation/animation.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'm amazed with Blue Lock manga (started reading when the chapter 20 just dropped) but honestly, the Anime is awful, the animation is an insult to the Manga.
I haven't read the manga but I will. Production wise BLUE LOCK is poor, I'd rate the show a 6/10 at best because of the narrative and music carrying it. Animation just isn't there.

The_hunter

Well, that's not surprising that's your take.

I completely forgot the final part of Jojo part 6. Man, it felt like this show in general was completely forgotten about.
I read the manga for part 6 but I skipped the anime version. I felt the manga has some pacing issues, but there are some great moments. How did the anime version turn out?

I watched Cowboy bebop and the movie for the first time, very good.

Last edited:

Labolas

I read the manga for part 6 but I skipped the anime version. I felt the manga has some pacing issues, but there are some great moments. How did the anime version turn out?

I watched Cowboy bebop and the movie for the first time, very good.
It's okay for the most part where I'm at. It's just the fact that how they broke up the episodes and Netflix's job of subtitling did hurt the series. I would say it's not the most memorable part of Jojo. And a lot of the supporting characters aren't that great compared previous parts. Maybe my opinion will change once I finish the series.

GymWolf

What is the best site to read manga with a tablet?

I remember there was kissmanga that loaded the entire chapter in one page instead of needing to load for every page like in mangareader.com.

Fbh

What is the best site to read manga with a tablet?

I remember there was kissmanga that loaded the entire chapter in one page instead of needing to load for every page like in mangareader.com.

Tachiyomi is good since you can get chapters from multiple sources, but if I'm not mistaken it's only Android for the moment.
Manga Plus is great to read the Shueisha stuff (Jump) since it's oficial, free and gets weekly updates

GymWolf

Tachiyomi is good since you can get chapters from multiple sources, but if I'm not mistaken it's only Android for the moment.
Manga Plus is great to read the Shueisha stuff (Jump) since it's oficial, free and gets weekly updates
I'm sorry maybe i wasn't clear, i don't need an app to read my digital manga, i need a site or an app that already has manga in it.

A couple of years ago there were tons of apps and site like this.

I'm sorry maybe i wasn't clear, i don't need an app to read my digital manga, i need a site or an app that already has manga in it.

A couple of years ago there were tons of apps and site like this.
Mangasee123

You can read a given chapter in one long page or page-by-page.

Man I miss Mangareader, so many series I read on that one...

I've been reading through My Hero Academia, and dear lord the art can be a complete incomprehensible mess, but I think the way the dialogue is delivered is an even worse atrocity. There are moments where dialogue is drawn out over multiple panels with multiple different characters in conversation, and I have no idea who the fuck is talking. Plus, the dialogue is so heavy-handed to the point where any sense of who the hell is speaking is lost (particularly when there is a focus on other characters or on the environment across multiple panels).

Labolas

More on some newer SJ manga. This is Gokurakugai.

i410357.jpg

The story is as follows: Tao and Alma, a pair of troubleshooters who work in a bustling red-light district, take on any job that requires a solution. But secretly, they're hitmen who hunt down "calamities"...

The story and setup is pretty unoriginal with a protag with demon blood and his handler. Series like Gangsta., Getbackers, Trinity Blood, and Chrono Crusade come to mind with a very similar permise. The only two real saving graces of this manga is art and the character Tao, the handler. And Tao was my sole reason why I checked out the manga in the first. What a bad looking bitch.
879-image003_1.jpg

Outside that, I can't really recommended as it's very by the numbers in terms of its plot and characters and even down the villains that are introduced. It could change since it's very early in its run (7 Chapters currently).

Anime-wise, watched the first episode of Magical Destroyers, and honestly, I can't pinpoint if some sort of deconstruction of otaku culture or it's playing the story straight. The animation is low quality and feels like something out of the early 2000's. The pacing is all over the place and even lost me for a bit. I'm going to give this a pass.

Fate/Apocrypha (2017)

Fate/Apocrypha is a light novel written by Yuuichiro Higashide, based on the discarded scenario for a video game in the Fate franchise. The game was later rebooted in concept multiple times, and eventually what the world got was Fate/Grand Order. Kinoko Nasu wrote the original scenario but Higashide was not only the author of the LN but also the script writer for this anime. The production was handled by Aniplex’s internal studio A-1 Pictures.

I’m going to be blunt here, if you’re expecting me to shit on Apocrypha like many in the fanbase do, then you can stop reading here because I’m not going to do it. I’ll start with the obvious: Apocrypha is a big dumb shounen story where the most inane and ridiculous stuff inexplicably happens because Higashide thought it would be cool and the main protagonist suffers from an agonizing and terminal bout of video game player character self-insert syndrome. It’s also insane amounts of fun, has a fundamentally strong story with an emotionally resonant core, and has as much fighting animated as the budget would allow, which ends up being a surprising amount considering this one probably was budgeted at a fraction of whatever the ufotable entries got.

The numerous Servants of Apocrypha have been adapted to look like their artwork in FGO, a necessity because of the massive success of FGO between when the LN was published and when this anime premiered. That said, they all are given character development and motives which are absent from their FGO incarnations. The pace of the anime has to move fast and it does, because there’s a lot of characters and a series of storylines which need to be covered under the greater story arc. There are numerous cameo appearances from characters who figure in the original F/SN timeline but if you didn’t know who they were, it wouldn’t affect your understanding of the main story.

The main story, involves a plan to merge all humans into a blob called the Human Instrumentality Proj- wait. That’s not it. The main story involves magical creatures called Pokemon beating the shit out of each other to be the stronges- wait. That’s not it either. The main story involves a puppet named Pinocchio who goes on a journey to discover what it means to become huma- wait. That’s definitely not it. Alright fine, jokes aside, the main story of Apocrypha is painfully derivative of almost every other story ever written before it, but that’s kind of the point. It was based on a canceled video game script, remember? The story is intentionally simplistic and derivative at its core because you were supposed to be Sieg in the game and doing all the stuff Sieg does and it would be like fucking epic and shit. Probably.

Sigh. I need to give a paragraph to Sieg. The complaints aimed at Sieg are a direct result of Apocrypha’s origin story. He just kind of does things which are otherwise impossible in every other corner of the Fate universe because wouldn’t it be cool if you could do that in the video game? It’s really dumb, but quite frankly by the end you won’t really care because Fate is a franchise which is fundamentally built around two founding principles: grimdark and “The Rule of Cool”. So, at some point you get something like Apocrypha which takes these two things and just feeds them steroids until they literally turn into a dragon and fly off into the sunset because why the fuck not. The fact that Sieg exhibits no sign of any personal motivations to do anything he does beyond “I feel like it and I’m the protagonist” is an example of main video game character syndrome and Higashide doesn’t pretend it’s otherwise when writing this story. Higashide straight up gets a huge measure of respect for his zero fucks given attitude towards Sieg as far as I’m concerned.

Anyways, Sieg himself isn’t a particularly strong main character, but he’s surrounded by a vast cast of really enjoyable human and Servant supporting characters. Again, because of the amount of material to be covered and the large number of different characters, there isn’t a lot of time to delve into each one. This is kind of too bad, because I would have liked to have spent more time with all the other characters. The show is 25 episodes and kind of flies along and at the end you’re surprised it’s already over. That’s a good sign for any TV series when the hours are melting away and you’re still watching and enjoying yourself.

I think ultimately Apocrypha boils down to this: You’ll leave wondering what the hell just happened but also thinking damn that was a lot of fun and I don’t even know why. A bunch of fights happen and super powered people beat the fuck out of each other, something about the nature of humanity or whatever, somehow it actually relates to the rest of the Fate universe in the most ridiculous ways imaginable, and you feel like you had a good time. If you are already a fan of Fate, and especially if you have played FGO, you’ll like seeing all the Servants in their original story and you’ll get to see original Gordes Musik Yggdmillennia. This is of course Goredolf Musik in FGO as he’s carried over almost as-is from the Apocrypha timeline to FGO.

Fate likes to pretend it’s some deep and philosophical work of art, mainly due to Nasu’s pretensions in the main F/SN timeline, but really, it’s quite silly and I think everyone knows it and just goes with it. But I mean that’s how Shakespeare was too in his day, dude just wrote shit he thought his audience would like and today we all act like he was some literary playwright genius when he was just writing shit he thought was cool. I’m only mentioning this because Shakespeare is literally a Caster Servant in Apocrypha. Yeah, that shit wasn’t made up just for FGO. He was in Apocrypha first. Also, Yggdmillennia is a ridiculous yet awesome name for a family, I’m just saying.

Final Rating: Great Big Fucking Massively Engorged Holy Grail War/10

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Why are you finishing it up then? It's not a short series. You could have dropped it long ago?
Gotta finish the whole thing to solidify that it's bad.

Watched S1 and the movie ages ago that only covers the first 8 volumes. Bought the manga boxset on sale. Read through it all under the impression it would get "good" but nah.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Gonna finish up Demon Slayer this evening. Pray for me this series is not good.
I would say it is overhyped. The series is merely okay-ish. I also need to finish up watching demon slayers I'm a little out of order since I watched the last movie without watching the last half of the last season. I blame netflix.

Okay so this is weird. So I went to the yearly anime convention this year and like they didn't really seel anime movies this year. Like usually we'd have like at least 3 tables of anime to purchase but this year we got this half a table with a couple of used and new anime on it. Even the manga section was extremely reduced. I found this so odd. I swear this convention is less and less about anime every year. An interesting thing I did notice is hey there was a lot of people of color at this convention. Don't get triggered. I'm half black and this is something I would notice being the odd man out. Just like being the only straight male in a kpop panel. I've been going for around 15 years and at the start there might have been maybe 5 black people in total among the hundreds that attended but now there are probably a hundred black folk with a sprinkle of Asians. Of course, nothing actually changed for me since I'm not an outgoing social person which is something I plan on working on this year.

Last edited:

Doom85

An interesting thing I did notice is hey there was a lot of people of color at this convention. Don't get triggered. I'm half black and this is something I would notice being the odd man out. Just like being the only straight male in a kpop panel. I've been going for around 15 years and at the start there might have been maybe 5 black people in total among the hundreds that attended but now there are probably a hundred black folk with a sprinkle of Asians. Of course, nothing actually changed for me since I'm not an outgoing social person which is something I plan on working on this year.

Don’t get triggered? Too late, I’m all about that studio Trigger!

Kill La Kill Mako GIF
RdiOVcM.gif
2qtfP0l.gif

But yeah, I’d say over the last 15-20 years more and more black people have gotten into anime. In fact, many anime Youtubers (episode reactors, parody/homage video makers, general discussions, etc.) are black. Kind of just natural given the anime community has massively grown in size over that time period due to streaming and other factors making it way easier to get into anime and giving it more exposure.

Cilvanis did a great video about a hypothetical someone who really hated anime eventually getting into it, he’s not really touching on any racial aspect, just pointing how certain anime fans who resented others for making fun of their enjoying anime in general back in the day are ironically now making fun of others for enjoying certain anime.

And hey, good luck on working on your socializing skills!

3xTrJqo.png

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's not old enough for the retro thread but I had a itch to to revisit Darker than Black today. I remember really digging it. It's one I didn't buy physically. It's probably right around the time I stopped buying everything. So I go to look for it streaming... It's not available anywhere. Legally anyway. It's available on those shady ones that have porn pop ups. Just goes to show you. If you really love a show. Buy the damn thing. I need to look up what else that shows director did. I think he's also responsible for Wolfs Rain.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It's not old enough for the retro thread but I had a itch to to revisit Darker than Black today. I remember really digging it. It's one I didn't buy physically. It's probably right around the time I stopped buying everything. So I go to look for it streaming... It's not available anywhere. Legally anyway. It's available on those shady ones that have porn pop ups. Just goes to show you. If you really love a show. Buy the damn thing. I need to look up what else that shows director did. I think he's also responsible for Wolfs Rain.
Funimation licensed it. If they no longer have the license to it... Why not torrent it?

Labolas

Well, another manga I finished, well it's a manga/manhwa more on that in a bit. This time it's the King of Eden and boy I have some things to say about it.
iu

The series is written by Nagasaki Takashi, who famously known for writting Pluto and South Korean artist Lee Sang Cheol, which I can't really say if this is necessarily a manga or manhwa so I'll refer to it as a manwha or manga interchangeably. Oh I forgot to mention that this is a horror manga/manhwa. The story is that two police officers find a remote village with all of the inhabitants disappeared and they come across a huge pile of dead zombie-like corpses. A shadowy man emerges from atop of this pile, a man named Teze Yoo and chaos ensues. Thus, begins the ultimate battle between Teze and monsters who are infected with the Wolf virus.

So yeah this is a werewolf manga, which I have to say is pretty shocking to me as a huge werewolf fan because no one really describes it as such. Either a reviewer will say it's a zombie manga or someone will it's a vampire manga which both are incorrect. In the manga, it directly states that these monsters are pretty much werewolves.They have very define canine features and are known to walk on all fours. Hell, in the beginning of the origins of the wolves, the manga straight up called the person a werewolf. The werewolves design themeselves started off looking zombie looking with the key difference being they are incredibly fast and have a mouthful of razor sharp canines. Then we have ones are basically werewolves and are very similar to the werewolves from the horror movie Cursed. Furless but still look very much like an animal.
iu
images

Then you have the story which isn't a typical horror manga. No, no, no. This manhwa delves into political intrigue as well a lot of historical and Biblical figures. The writer will go into well detailed history and tied to the wolves themselves. Historical figures such as Vlad the Impaler, Darius I, Herodotus and various others have some sort of tie to the wolves. Hell, the Cain and Abel story is a completely direct result of the wolves creation. And I have to expressed that I don't ever seen or read something related to werewolves and play with mythos of werewolves and directly tie it to history and the Bible and not feel like it was clumsy done. As far as political stuff, Nagasaki Takashi handles it relatively well and shows the strength and weakness of almost every major nation involved in the story. And while the story plays favorites to certain nations, I like how they didn't make any nation complete clown shoes even though some major nations in the U.N. did cave into the threat of wolves.

One amazing part of the manga is the major twist in the end spolier alert but
we find out that the wolves themselves are not the villainous monsters we thought they were who wanted to end the world. No, we come to find out that they are creatures of God. They revere Him as their version of Christianity and that they have their own history which most likely contradicts the humans' history with the wolves. And I really loved that twist because it makes you think how the Wolves are about the survival of their species, how humanity can't be trusted, and how humanity perverted the history between the wolves and the humans.

I really fucking enjoyed this manga/manhwa. It did so much right to me. It's captivating from beginning to end. I couldn't just read a couple of chapters and be done with it, I wanted to keep reading. But it isn't perfect, the art, while really good, can make some characters look the same. Also some characters appear out of nowhere when the plot demands it. Outside that, I'm very impressed and satisfied with King of Eden. To me, it's one of the best werewolf manga/manhwas if not the best one you can read. It may not be as good as something like Pluto or 20th Century Boys, but it handles the werewolf mythos while bring something unique and interesting with grace and dignity. 8.9-9/10 (finished)

King of Eden is only 44 chapters. You can get King of Eden physically in 3 volumes in omnibus format.
oozora-subaru-hololive.gif

I wouldn't even know where to look these days
If having to watching on free streaming sites bother you so much, which why I have a popup blocker and this isn't an issue for me, and you want to have it physically than why not try the ol' Chinese bootlegs from ebay?
Ebay - Darker than Black Dvds

Last edited:

Doom85

The series is written by Nagasaki Takashi, who famously known for writting Pluto

Honestly had never heard the name, and at first I thought, “oh, is there a different manga or comic called Pluto apart from Naoki Urasawa’s Pluto?” Then I checked and I had no idea Urasawa had a co-writer/story producer for a lot of his work. I feel Urasawa is the one more heavily promoted as the author of their works they do together, at least in the US, hence my unawareness of Takashi.

The More You Know Kitty GIF

Last edited:

Labolas

Honestly had never heard the name, and at first I thought, “oh, is there a different manga or comic called Pluto apart from Naoki Urasawa’s Pluto?” Then I checked and I had no idea Urasawa had a co-writer/story producer for a lot of his work. I feel Urasawa is the one more heavily promoted as the author of their works they do together, at least in the US, hence my unawareness of Takashi.

The More You Know Kitty GIF

Yeah, I knew that Takashi and Naoki co write Pluto together but apparently Tezuka Osamu, the artist, is also credited for the writing as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom