• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Dr. Stone isn't very good btw, this being a strong contender for best series in the magazine shows how weak it is.

The initial pitch was promising and science over power levels is refreshing, however the outcome to arcs and character development/interaction leaves so much to be desired.

Gonna read The Promised Neverland next then Black Clover.

petran79

Banned
You're going to struggle to find 90s anime aesthetic in more modern stuff if that's what you are talking about. I read both YYH and HxH and I love them both.
Dunno about the anime though. I mean Gon is an optimistic character but the rest of the cast and the world itself it not.

Ushio and Tora TV grabbed that aesthetic, though 90s OVA was way better.havent seen Karakuri Circus, by the same author

hecatomb

Banned
I don't think I can watch goblin slayer anymore, the characters are bland, the story sucks. Unless the manga might be better. Though right now I don't care if any of the characters die. Think its time to give up on this show.

Graciaus

I don't think I can watch goblin slayer anymore, the characters are bland, the story sucks. Unless the manga might be better. Though right now I don't care if any of the characters die. Think its time to give up on this show.
I made it further in the anime then I did in the manga. Outside of the shock value of the first few chapters I lost interest once the party was assembled. I don't think it's anything amazing but I do enjoy watching it.

petran79

Banned
Watched Batman Ninja the right moment, just after Castlevania Season 2.
One Japanese animation studio takes a Western IP and transforms it into an animated marvel, reminding me of the golden age of TV animation outsourcing to Japanese studios. Character designs are like comics coming to life. Catwoman, Harleyquin and Poison Ivy never looked better in animated form and the thing is, first 2 show barely any naked body portions. They are just that well designed without worry if they offend anyone. Plot may have been bad but animation showed respect to the material and from Japan nevertheless.

On the other hand a Western studio takes a popular video game IP, adds a vampiress and instead of taking inspiration of many western comics portraying amazingly designed female characters, it wastes the opportunity and makes her design as bland as possible, without even her body lines becoming visible. At least the voice actress gave her best.

Batman Ninja has a 12 age rating, while Castlevania a 15 age rating btw.

hecatomb

Banned
western type anime has never done well in Japan, not even cowboy bebop or samurai champloo did well. They just love their super power chi battles, 13 year old anime girls, strange incest fetish, and giant robots. Some reason they like Tom and Jerry though

Last edited:

John Blade

Good-Luck-Girl.jpg

Just finish watching Good Luck Girl! as I manage to get the box set for $29.00 with shipping. A minor dent on the box but the disc is fine. A very fun easy watch with so many anime reference from other anime shows. Love the two MC and they different personalities work quite well between them. The dub for this show is well done and would recommend over the original Japanese dub (something with funimation comedy show tend to have better dub). Worth recommend this show to anyone as it's very easy to watch without having to go too deep into the show.

tumblr_nkq221cAGp1tytykbo1_500.gif

petran79

Banned
western type anime has never done well in Japan, not even cowboy bebop or samurai champloo did well. They just love their super power chi battles, 13 year old anime girls, strange incest fetish, and giant robots. Some reason they like Tom and Jerry though

Watched also Dragon's Heaven. Straight out of European sci-fi comics by Moebius and probably closest OVA to a western sci-fi graphic novel I've seen. The fact it took me so long to find (was searching for Osamu's Kobayashi's anime bio), speaks volumes about the current state of anime both in Japan and abroad, which makes it even worse for the western fandom who supposedly are closer to western comics

Dragon%2527s-Heaven-2.jpg

Typhares

Is Tokyo Ghoul something worth watching?

...Any good recommendations for someone with Netflix or hulu?

I read Tokyo Ghoul, I thought it was alright but nothing crazy, the sequel just completely lost me but I know a lot of people swear by it so you can give it a chance.
As for Netflix not sure: Castlevania, Devilman Crybaby (maybe my fav), FMA, Gurren lagann (also a fav), Kill la Kill (over the top but so much fun), One punch man (so good).

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
heard the same thing, it starts out good but then gets boring. 2019 is almost here.

Mob Psycho season 2 is coming up

manfestival

Is Tokyo Ghoul something worth watching?

...Any good recommendations for someone with Netflix or hulu?
I heard these same remarks. I decided to watch the show despite the warnings and red flags. Yeah not so great. I was better off watching other shows on my list. The first season is ok but the second season is painfully dull and makes you go wut

Typhares

Season 1 had a lot of "growing pains" that were already inherent in the comic and it skips a chunk of stuff too, which makes the flow kinda off sometimes. Season 2 focuses entirely on the maximum tournament and it's great. Tons of unique fights and memorable characters.

I'm waiting for the 2018 to finish so I can marathon it(Read it already way back so don't wanna week to week) but from the sequences I took a look at, other than more modern digital aspects, the animation and direction don't seem much different from the old series. That's arguably a good thing though. =P

Just finished season 2 and you were right! A much more enjoyable season, just fights and a bit of backstory for the fighters. Enough to feel invested in their struggle. I'm looking forward to 2018 now but I won't get into it just yet, got to catch up on a few other things (castlevania on netflix for one).

bigedole

So I've been looking into Chinese Anime the last month or so, obviously from having watched and thoroughly enjoyed Quan Zhi Gao Shou (Please watch this if you haven't yet). I've seen a couple good shows, but nothing that I thought was comparable to King's Avatar until I stumbled upon Raksasha Street. I'm only about 7 episodes in but you know how when you watch a lot of anime you can just tell when you're watching something that can be really great? That's how I feel about this show right now :p

The entire thing is on youtube if you can't find it anywhere else, that's where I'm watching it. Anyone seen it? No spoils!

John Blade

So I've been looking into Chinese Anime the last month or so, obviously from having watched and thoroughly enjoyed Quan Zhi Gao Shou (Please watch this if you haven't yet). I've seen a couple good shows, but nothing that I thought was comparable to King's Avatar until I stumbled upon Raksasha Street. I'm only about 7 episodes in but you know how when you watch a lot of anime you can just tell when you're watching something that can be really great? That's how I feel about this show right now :p

The entire thing is on youtube if you can't find it anywhere else, that's where I'm watching it. Anyone seen it? No spoils!

It's nice to see more and more Chinese animation coming out from China now. The one I keep an eye for a long time till it got release is Da Yu Hai Tang which is actually a decent movie if you never heard about it.

Typhares

I haven't watched any Chinese anime but I'm reading a bunch of web comics including King's Avatar! I didn't know they made an anime out of it.
I enjoyed what I read so far for sure so I can see it would be a good anime too!

bigedole

I haven't watched any Chinese anime but I'm reading a bunch of web comics including King's Avatar! I didn't know they made an anime out of it.
I enjoyed what I read so far for sure so I can see it would be a good anime too!

You should really look for the anime adaptation of King's Avatar! It's hard to find, none of the legal sites stream it (or any of the chinese company shows) but it's on the big "free" ones :p It's a great adaptation, definitely up there with some of the best Japanese shows and the new season is coming out in 2019. It'll pick up following the All-Star arc. I should probably read the web comic, but I've never been a manga reader at all I just kind of limit myself to the animated versions.

bigedole

I just finished Raksasha street and it was insanely good. If the translation and animation were up to the par of Japanese shows I'd put it on the level of FMA:B.

Start with this, watch the 13-24 one after:

Typhares

Thanks, I'll give this a watch at some point!
I just finished Castlevania S1&2 on netflix, solid show! Makes me want a new castlevania game too :p

Oh I didn't notice Chinese series are getting translated now - but I started noticing there's actually quite a lot of Chinese manga (manhwa?) available.

I'll give it a try.

Last edited:

God Enel

I ‘finished’ the berserk manga and can’t wait for the next chapter. Does anyone know when it’s going to be released? I heard it’s on hiatus?

A friend recommended it to me and after watching the old anime I was absolutely hooked. Then I tried to watch the new one but the animation looks like ass.. so I switched to the manga because the story captured me. It’s basically the first manga that I read through.

Now i started hunter x hunter and Still at the beginning. (Watched the anime and chimera ant arc) hope the manga continues where the anime stopped.

Helios

I ‘finished’ the berserk manga and can’t wait for the next chapter. Does anyone know when it’s going to be released? I heard it’s on hiatus?
Here is where the suffering starts:messenger_grinning_smiling:
As for the next chapter: Unknown. I'll post in the thread if it gets announced

God Enel

Here is where the suffering starts:messenger_grinning_smiling:
As for the next chapter: Unknown. I'll post in the thread if it gets announced

It's horrible dude. The manga stopped at such an unfortunate point where

casca was "cured" and is about to meet Guts..

I mean wtf?! He can't let us wait for too long.

Though it was maybe the best manga I ever read (because it's the only one).. but afaik I think it's better than one piece and I love one piece (only watching the anime)

petran79

Banned
I'd still rate Berserk as one of the top 5 manga, first half at least.

Watched Rescue Wings, a very underrated series because it features adult protagonists that pilot a JSDF helicopter and save people in various disasters and accidents. One mistake or slight neglect can cost a life, as it is evidently demonstrated.
Very realistic, fragile and honest characters is what I liked the most in that series. A rarity nowadays in anime

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It's horrible dude. The manga stopped at such an unfortunate point where

casca was "cured" and is about to meet Guts..

I mean wtf?! He can't let us wait for too long.
Bruh, I can only imagine how this must have been for people following the series from the beginning. I mean... assuming you've started reading in 89...

it's like 10 years from Casca's incident until her awakening now.

I mean, I was PISSED at the cliffhanger, and I've only started reading beginning of this year. lol

What an asshole. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

God Enel

Bruh, I can only imagine how this must have been for people following the series from the beginning. I mean... assuming you've started reading in 89...

it's like 10 years from Casca's incident until her awakening now.

I mean, I was PISSED at the cliffhanger, and I've only started reading beginning of this year. lol

What an asshole. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Yeah but after about 5 years or even earlier you just stop caring about it I think.

Do you know why it was on a hiatus for this long? Will it happen again?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah but after about 5 years or even earlier you just stop caring about it I think.

Do you know why it was on a hiatus for this long? Will it happen again?
I know that Miura did another manga in-between and hence had a 2 year hiatus on Berserk once. Aside form that he just seems to take his time. From what I can see he never really had much output anyway - max 2 issues per year and that was back in the 90s.

Although it can be frustrating I don't think it's that bad that Miura isn't being rushed and takes his time. That's probably the reason why the writing quality is on such a high level for such a long time. I mean, just look at all the TV series who usually start out great and then loose steam quickly because the makers have to pump out new episodes on a time schedule. Miura does not have that pressure.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
When I first read Berserk they were just getting ready to get on the boat and that was late 2006. I have kept up with it since but like people have said you just stop caring. Same with Hunter x Hunter, read that in 2007 and it stopped just as they were about to siege the palace and the first few returns and handful of chapters were exciting but when its a regular thing you move on.

I don't know how the boat part of Berserk reads if it flows well cuz I had to read it in parts every few months but it did feel like Miura lost steam for a while.

Dunki

Do I need to watch something else before I watch this?
If you want to watch it for the story yes.

At least I would watch this

Then mabye the torunament arc and I there are some OVAs as well (like the guerilla one ). But to understand Baki you really should watch the first season. Otherwise you have no idea who these characters are^^

Last edited:

bigedole

I'll put Gintama on pause and switch to this to catch up then. I've been working on Gintama for about 3 years, on episode 239 now hehe.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Do I need to watch something else before I watch this?
If you wanna skip & start with this then all you need to know is:
Yujiro is the strongest dude
Baki won the tournament

That's it. I ain't read Baki myself but I got given the blessing to watch this if I wanted by a friend. Not that I encourage part skipping.

Dunki

This looks soooo awesome. New City Hunter Trailer. I hope it will be very successful so we get maybe an anime reboot?^^

petran79

Banned
Metal Fighter Miku was enough for me regarding the wrestling genre.

When I first read Berserk they were just getting ready to get on the boat and that was late 2006. I have kept up with it since but like people have said you just stop caring. Same with Hunter x Hunter, read that in 2007 and it stopped just as they were about to siege the palace and the first few returns and handful of chapters were exciting but when its a regular thing you move on.

I don't know how the boat part of Berserk reads if it flows well cuz I had to read it in parts every few months but it did feel like Miura lost steam for a while.

I read it around that time too. Till the battle with Rosinne it was a masterpiece, then it became just very good, now it is just good.

manfestival

I am ready for a new season. I really have not like the last season at all. I fell off on black clover because it got boring. I watch goblin slayer despite the series falling way off as it is the only interesting show to me at the moment. I am gonna try SSS Gridman cause it has appeal to me and I am wary of anything with Jean D Arc but I have that on deck to watch if people say it is good.

Top Bottom