• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters
My child got me into anime. I had never watched much previously, but I absolutely loved One Punch Man! It was incredibly funny and just all-around entertaining. I love the character Saitama. He's the Superman character, but interesting imo.

Can't wait for season 2!

Last edited:
We started watching Death Note, and that seems like it's going to be entertaining as well. Seems like there is going to be a really compelling back and forth between Light and L.

Typhares

Baki is now out on Netflix! Won't get to it until new year but I'l looking forward to it!
tumblr_pcrejxWhIh1usyygio2_400.gif

h8i8s78wad021.gif

Baki has been going on for a while, right? Latest episode is 26. I wonder how many episodes they will reach with this series, a new arc just started.

Oh and that Hanayama fight was beyond brutal.

Typhares

Baki has been going on for a while, right? Latest episode is 26. I wonder how many episodes they will reach with this series, a new arc just started.

Oh and that Hanayama fight was beyond brutal.

In most places it has been made available to watch on the 18th. I think it was only on netflix japan until then (of course you could find the episodes other places).

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (2018)
is a very well drawn hot mess with a VERY good 1st act.
2CA6PeJl.jpg

pRVMF2rm.jpg
(about x300 times better than this)

I really wish the pacing and writing towards the end were a bit better.
The first 30 minutes felt so promising, everything was done right.
It had me convinced that I'm about to witness the best episode/movie of Dragon Ball anime ever.
Such a pity.
In my opinion, the best episode of Dragon Ball anime is one that has Goku using 3x kaioken against Vegeta.

Anyway, my advice for someone watching this movie is:
Forget logic and just enjoy the fireworks, because they do look spectacular.

Last edited:

mamojama

Neo Member
Following JoJo Part 5, I also just finished watching the anime adaptation of Inuyashiki and Gantz

As for reading manga, I havent read any ongoing series Ive been following since Im busy (re)reading yaoi and doujins lol

I have too many baclogs and dropped series as well but cant really find a perfect mood, time and internet speed to start

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Finally catched up to Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl. I read the few chapters that were translated last year and thought it was missing something until I watched the rest (anime) the story really picks up after the second "issue". I highly recommend a watch if you enjoy slice of life, supernatural and romance works of fiction. 8/10.

Random name drop time.

Does anyone remember the anime franchise Read or Die? Both the OVA and it's follow up "R.O.D The TV"?

Ya know, the series with "Yomiko Readman" the "sexy librarian" looking character?

R.O.D The TV has long been my favorite anime TV series and in particular because of the English dub, which I actually think made the show better (and fun fact, the VA for Bayonetta voices Yomiko Readman in the TV series)

It's pretty lonely to be a fan of this these days, which is understandable as there's not been anything new released in the west for it in over a decade, I keep dreaming about some sort of new anime, which I heard was "being considered" in 2016, though nothing has been said since.

I'd even settle for English translations of the original Light Novel series, which I think would be feasible if the series weren't so forgotten in the US.

Was just curious if anyone else remembers it.

petran79

Banned
Watched both ROD months ago, though in Japanese. I too found it a very good and balanced action series without any below average episodes. I think I preferred the more funny tone of the OVA. Some characters in the TV adaptation were a little too serious.
I recommend it as well as one original action series. Now with all the flux of various new shows it is very difficult to spot such series and even more difficult to find time and to not be prejudiced.
Even during its release date there were so many good series that I skipped it.

Watched the Christmas episode of Aggretsuko. Just as good as the newer TV series. Wish they had dubbed the old series as well. English dub has a totally different comedy than the Japanese version and I like it more.

AAlso Chistmas movie of Neo Yokio. Jokes were funny like in the series but it is evident that this series could not stand a second season without falling flat

WWaiting for Ruby Rose final season as well

Watched both ROD months ago, though in Japanese. I too found it a very good and balanced action series without any below average episodes. I think I preferred the more funny tone of the OVA. Some characters in the TV adaptation were a little too serious.
I recommend it as well as one original action series. Now with all the flux of various new shows it is very difficult to spot such series and even more difficult to find time and to not be prejudiced.
Even during its release date there were so many good series that I skipped it.l

Cool! You have to understand it's been years since I've discussed this series with anyone, so I'm thrilled that anyone knows what the heck I'm talking about.

And I would recommend you watch it again dubbed if you're so inclined, specifically the TV series, the OVA dub is fine but nothing super noteworthy (save for the fact that the blond Smoking Gunmen guy from The X-Files voices one of the characters)

But what makes the TV series dub so good is the fact that the actors and actresses in it aren't in a whole lot of other anime (in some cases not a whole lot of other things period), so their voices sound more unique to the characters and not "Crispin Freeman/Johnny Yong Bosch character number 9000" like many English dubs.

On top of that the British characters are voiced by actual British actors, which is really cool (same company that did the English dub for the Hellsing franchise in fact, which was also similarly an anime with British actors, I wish we saw more of that), this works best for Yomiko Readman herself, who was a different actress in the OVA, who was fine, but she really sounds great in the TV series, like I said it's the same actress who does Bayonetta (and for more video game connections an actor named JB Blanc is in R.O.D The TV, who was also in Saints Row 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn and a few of the different actors pop up in Marvel vs Capcom 3)

And finally, the script is not a super direct literal translation, though it doesn't stray too far, but it has the effect of making the dialog feel more natural, which is what I prefer.

It's just overall probably the most unique dub I've ever heard.

Typhares

I watched read or die and I remember enjoying it a lot but I don't remember much. I mean it's been like 15 years :p

I watched read or die and I remember enjoying it a lot but I don't remember much. I mean it's been like 15 years :p

I first saw R.O.D and R.O.D The TV on TV airings, though only the first chunk of episodes for the TV series, I then followed it on dvd, which the final volume released in summer of 2005.

However in Japan the series is 15 years old.

petran79

Banned
English dub would fit in ROD too since the main leads were from Hong Kong and the rivals were from the UK. I think I made the wrong choice in this case. I feared initially that the absence of 2 characters in the first half of the series would be detrimental to the enjoyment, but the 3 characters make up for it. I also liked that there is no fanservice that I can remember off and the characters exist for their own sake. Even the secretary of the organization got character, while in the ova she was just for laughs. A rarity for a series with such a silly premise.

So many good series back then from other studios.

Typhares

I first saw R.O.D and R.O.D The TV on TV airings, though only the first chunk of episodes for the TV series, I then followed it on dvd, which the final volume released in summer of 2005.

However in Japan the series is 15 years old.

Yeah I'm talking about the 3 ova. I was downloading shit with my 56k internet back then on IRC. Must have been around 2003. Is the rest worth watching?

English dub would fit in ROD too since the main leads were from Hong Kong and the rivals were from the UK. I think I made the wrong choice in this case. I feared initially that the absence of 2 characters in the first half of the series would be detrimental to the enjoyment, but the 3 characters make up for it. I also liked that there is no fanservice that I can remember off and the characters exist for their own sake. Even the secretary of the organization got character, while in the ova she was just for laughs. A rarity for a series with such a silly premise.

So many good series back then from other studios.

Yes, like Hellsing, which was set in the UK or Gunsmith Cats, which was set in Chicago, it's one of those anime that actually make more sense to be in English.

But you're wrong that there isn't any fanservice, there is one moment where a character is seen topless, complete with nipples, which was really surprising as there's no nudity in the rest of the series, but I think that was the point, that was it supposed to be surprising.

I actually can't think of another anime TV series though that only has nudity once, usually anime either has nudity or it doesn't and if it does it doesn't hold back from having it for more than one scene.

Also
yeah, it's a question of whether Yomiko will show up or not, I feel like generally the cat is out of the bag on the fact that she does now, but watching it at the time it came as a very exciting surprise

Yeah I'm talking about the 3 ova. I was downloading shit with my 56k internet back then on IRC. Must have been around 2003. Is the rest worth watching?

You bet it is! As I said, the TV series is my all time favorite anime, which isn't to say it's the best I've seen, just what I would pick as my personal favorite, but I highly recommend it in general, I'm sure everyone would have a good time watching it.

hecatomb

Banned
The read or die manga is nothing like the anime. For you collectors

Dragon ball super part 6, Jan 8
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 3 - Stardust Crusaders - Battle in Egypt Jan 22
Hunter X Hunter: Set 5 Jan 15

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited that Xabungle was just released on Blu Ray in the US. When I ordered it, I saw they also had Dunbine and Ideon is coming soon too. I don't think any of Tomino's non-Gundam work will ever be my favorite anime ever, but his stuff is always worth watching.

I actually can't think of another anime TV series though that only has nudity once, usually anime either has nudity or it doesn't and if it does it doesn't hold back from having it for more than one scene.
Since I have Tomino on the mind, I think Gundam just has the one scene of Fraw Bow in the shower and that's it. Been a while since I've seen it though.

petran79

Banned
I'm pretty excited that Xabungle was just released on Blu Ray in the US. When I ordered it, I saw they also had Dunbine and Ideon is coming soon too. I don't think any of Tomino's non-Gundam work will ever be my favorite anime ever, but his stuff is always worth watching.

Since I have Tomino on the mind, I think Gundam just has the one scene of Fraw Bow in the shower and that's it. Been a while since I've seen it though.

I think the second part of Dunbine in the real world reaches perfection. I learned that Norwegians are good people

I think the second part of Dunbine in the real world reaches perfection. I learned that Norwegians are good people
I think Dunbine has a lot of flaws, and I don't think the show is very good until they return to Earth. But I do give them credit for trying to do something new with the "whisked away to a different world" trope, and turning it into something excessively over the top. I'm really excited to finally see Xabungle. Happy Tomino should be a unique experience.

The read or die manga is nothing like the anime. For you collectors

Yes, the R.O.D manga is a separate continuity from the anime.

The manga is fine, but I've never liked it nearly as much as the anime.

Interestingly enough both scenes in question are in non-sexual contexts involving bathing, so maybe that's why it was allowed?

Interestingly enough both scenes in question are in non-sexual contexts involving bathing, so maybe that's why it was allowed?
Japan has a very different opinion on bathing than we do in the West. It's more of a community thing, so nudity while bathing isn't quite as sexual as we think it is. Stuff like hot springs and bathing with children is commonplace. I do think they use that freedom to push a little bit more nudity in their tv programming. Even shows like VOTOMs will have an occasional shower scene.

I forgot to mention that the man who wrote and directed the English dub of R.O.D The TV that I love so much is Taliesin Jaffe, who you may know from the web series Critical Role.

Random name drop time.

Does anyone remember the anime franchise Read or Die? Both the OVA and it's follow up "R.O.D The TV"?

Ya know, the series with "Yomiko Readman" the "sexy librarian" looking character?

R.O.D The TV has long been my favorite anime TV series and in particular because of the English dub, which I actually think made the show better (and fun fact, the VA for Bayonetta voices Yomiko Readman in the TV series)

It's pretty lonely to be a fan of this these days, which is understandable as there's not been anything new released in the west for it in over a decade, I keep dreaming about some sort of new anime, which I heard was "being considered" in 2016, though nothing has been said since.

I'd even settle for English translations of the original Light Novel series, which I think would be feasible if the series weren't so forgotten in the US.

Was just curious if anyone else remembers it.

I own the OVA as it was cheap.

I didn't mind it myself but I wasn't sure on some of the stuff done in it like the Blonde Haired Indian girl (most Half Indians in the UK have Black Hair! Never seen a Blonde Haired Indian in my life). It was a nice show to watch.

Once I come back from Holiday I am getting back to Durarara x2 (Ten).

Absolutely love the Anime! Even own the Celty Nendo!

I hope she gets back her head (no spoilers). It does feel like the Irish all have Green eyes (including myself)

I am.still puzzled at how Celty can type in Japanese though but I guess a Dullahan has powers we do not know about. :p

hecatomb

Banned
man goblin slayer is one of the most over rated animes I've seen in a while, people are acting like its something new, and is great. That last ep was trash, none of the main characters get a a backstory, so I can't care about any of them. Goblin slayers eye glows red for no reason, the goblins are some of the most boring anime villains, and the last fight the warriors only want to fight for money, so I didn't care if any of them died. And at the end he takes off his helmet, and its the biggest let down ever.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
man goblin slayer is one of the most over rated animes I've seen in a while, people are acting like its something new, and is great. That last ep was trash, none of the main characters get a a backstory, so I can't care about any of them. Goblin slayers eye glows red for no reason, the goblins are some of the most boring anime villains, and the last fight the warriors only want to fight for money, so I didn't care if any of them died. And at the end he takes off his helmet, and its the biggest let down ever.

giphy.gif

Sakura

I liked it. It wasn't anywhere as good as Gridman or Zombieland Saga from the same season, but it was enjoyable.
It was really disappointing they did a recap episode though, when it is only a 1 cour show.

bigedole

I liked it. It wasn't anywhere as good as Gridman or Zombieland Saga from the same season, but it was enjoyable.
It was really disappointing they did a recap episode though, when it is only a 1 cour show.

Can you sell me on Zombieland Saga? I basically avoid all shows focused on idols as a rule of thumb. I really dislike moe/ecchi/fanservice unless it's a really enjoyable story. I can't decide if I should try this one or not :p

Finished season 2 of my Bakuman rewatch. Such a great show. I need to rewatch Chihayafuru before the third season starts too.

Sakura

Can you sell me on Zombieland Saga? I basically avoid all shows focused on idols as a rule of thumb. I really dislike moe/ecchi/fanservice unless it's a really enjoyable story. I can't decide if I should try this one or not :p
There isn't really any ecchi or fanservice from what I can remember. It's not so much about idols, but more about the characters and dealing with their past. The characters didn't decide to become idols because it is their dream or whatever. They are just being forced to do it for the most part. It's also pretty funny.
Personally, I live next to Saga and have been there, and the dialect is similar to where I live, which is a big plus for me. Typically anime is always set in or around Tokyo, and even if it isn't, the characters will still only speak normal Japanese, so it is refreshing to see something like this, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed it.

Typhares

Is Gridman finished for now? I'm waiting for all the episodes of the season to be out before watching.

petran79

Banned
Its like trying to be cool for all the kids born in the 2000s, though animes like Ninja scroll, Akira, Berserk, Guyver, and some others have already done stuff like this and 1000 times better then this. Its like the most mediocre anime.

Even series a decade ago.

I watched You Lie in April and it was described as the ultimate tear jerker. Such descriptions make me always suspicious. While it had good production values and ok characters, it was nowhere near the level of Honey and Clover.
Also wtf Netflix. They have the series but not the prequel OVA. Had to look from an unofficial source for it.

Sakura

Nice thanks. After I'm done with Death Parade I will watch this.
I think the story is a lot more enjoyable if you avoid all spoilers and think for yourself about what is going on in the plot. So if you are going to watch it I would recommend avoiding reading anything about it, if you haven't already.

Typhares

I think the story is a lot more enjoyable if you avoid all spoilers and think for yourself about what is going on in the plot. So if you are going to watch it I would recommend avoiding reading anything about it, if you haven't already.

I haven't really, I just liked the aesthetic and heard it was generally well received.

Typhares

Well I ended up watching all 12 episodes over the past few days. I really liked it!
I feel that I am missing some things by not being familiar with Gridman beforehand like
the kaiju girl that says she wasn't created by Akane
but it still makes sense and stand on its own.
The animation and characters are pretty good so an overall very enjoyable show.

bigedole

So I was looking through the list of 8+ rated anime on MAL to see if I wanted to rewatch anything or give something a second try and I saw Hinamatsuri from Winter '18. I dunno how I missed it after it aired but decided to try it and I'm shocked how much I enjoy it lol. It's a really well made comedy show with a touch of feels to round it out, strongly recommend for anyone that hasn't seen it! Reminds me of shows like SKET Dance and Saiki K.

I watched Dragon Ball Super: Broly...what the fuck? The movie was so damned good. The fight scenes were amazing.

The power increases had a really nice flow to them, and the fluid animation was fantastic. The CG scenes felt a bit out of place, but they weren't all that bad. I'm actually glad they didn't kill off Broly. I have a feeling he'll get the third and hopefully final kill....on Frieza. Also Bulma's new Voice Actress was great too.

I definitely recommend watching it. It was a thrill a minute. It's right up there with Battle of the Gods for me.

Now onto binge watching goblin slayer I guess.

I watched Dragon Ball Super: Broly...what the fuck? The movie was so damned good. The fight scenes were amazing.

The power increases had a really nice flow to them, and the fluid animation was fantastic. The CG scenes felt a bit out of place, but they weren't all that bad. I'm actually glad they didn't kill off Broly. I have a feeling he'll get the third and hopefully final kill....on Frieza. Also Bulma's new Voice Actress was great too.

I definitely recommend watching it. It was a thrill a minute. It's right up there with Battle of the Gods for me.

Now onto binge watching goblin slayer I guess.

I wasn't big on the story(Which wouldn't matter much as it's DB, except they devoted a full hour to it) but yeah the action was quite something. Like close to 40 straight minutes of of some of the most fast paced and intense action in all of Dragonball. Granted the "story" of the fight itself it was kinda the same thing over and over again but I think it worked in context and considering the opponent. Plus it's well choreographed action going a million miles an hour and fresh camera work for a DB fight, with said camera in constant movement and even some unexpected stuff like a brief first person view segment. I think only the Keisuke Masunaga directed episodes of Z ever came close to having action this crazy(Although I stopped right before the ToP in DBS so I dunno if they did some new shit during that). It gets so over the top you almost feel like this would be the final fight of the franchise or something. :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:
Top Bottom