• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters

Mista

Banned
If any of you fancy a comedy anime, watch Back Street Girls Gokudolls. It’s on Netflix. Shit, watched it randomly and got hooked by how fucked up it is.

hecatomb

Banned
I haven't seen Goblin Slayer yet but what was the controversy over? Just that it was violent? This is where we're at now? Whatever happened to the days Ninja Scroll, Genocyber, Bio Hunter and other gory anime?

SJWs are just the worst lol, they hate everything cool and good.
goblin slayer anime is pretty boring, not sure about the manga. Shield hero is also alright, I really don't care for it also. The little raccoon girl is also annoying. Mob psycho season 2 is good so far.

Last edited:

Sakura

There's some solid numbers on that actually. Later into the series Shield Hero spoilers, of course
While they're on Calmira, they mention that Naofumi is 63, Raphtalia, is 65, and Filo is 67. Raphtalia and Filo are higher because of last hit mechanics since that was shown earlier in the series which is about what you'd expected for a difference in level. While we don't have Ren, Itsuki, or Motoyasu's levels, we do have L'arc and Therese's levels which are 56 and 52. The other heroes would have to be near or below that considering what happens. My previous comment about a hero xp boost instead of what we got would change these levels overall to something closer to where Naofumi is now. Then you consider the tendency of the lameduck heroes to want to take all the kills themselves and soak up the XP there levels would be even higher. That would have an effect on how certain things occur since we know that both level and skill matters in this world per the Eclair sequence after Calmira.

The others think Naofumi's cheating but what's suggested is that the source of Naofumi's strength is actually taking this seriously and trying to learn what's going on and how the world is setup. Remember, Naofumi even went as far as to investigate the other's claims of power-up systems existing and found out that was the case. He's actually taking advantage of everything he can.

But like I said, the author could have used something else but I think they'd have to have changed other things to accommodate it.

As for the Raphtalia thing, I think it would have been way too soon for that sort of progress and as I said, part of it is Raphtalia's own resolve and showing Naofumi how serious she is. I will say that the novel might be a better choice for people that need more of Naofumi's internal dialogue to see how much he's suffering. I think the manga does a fine job of it but I'm more of a visually orientated person than anything. The WN also adds an interesting point when Raphtalia is getting the mark again. In all versions, Naofumi says "You don't have to do this, you know" but her response in the novel to him is "I'm getting this because I don't think you trust people without this mark, you shouldn't lie." A bit interesting that she doesn't believe he's changed yet. :pie_thinking:

While it isn't important to the characters' relationships directly most of the time, It's important to the setting and some of the things that occur. Naofumi helps Raphtalia take revenge on the slave owner that hurt her and her friends, it's part of the problems found in Melromarc which had story ramifications, it's a result of the prejudice and xenophobia in the setting, etc. So there's a pretty good reason to have it overall.

It's meant to show Naofumi is a morally grey character who did something bad out of necessity and I can see it being a pretty consistent reminder of that.
Well, maybe it is an issue of just reading the manga then. I know manga adaptations are typically missing a lot or change stuff compared to the source material having checked out manga of other light novels before.
But like I said it isn't really a huge issue to me, I still enjoy it enough to keep reading/watching it, whereas something like Death March I dropped pretty immediately.
Nobody watching Alicization? It's probably the best season yet. And I don't think Sword Hero was trying to glorify slavery, it was more along the lines of he had absolutely everybody else in that world against him (couldn't trust anybody) and the slaves couldn't steal from/lie to their masters (or whatever.)
I read Alicization but did not care for the way the story resolved at all, so ended up dropping it. The anime seems like a decent adaptation though.

hecatomb

Banned
I really like digging old quality stuff but do not mind new original series with unique animation. In fact the best series I watched was not even fansubbed or dubbed in English, despite taking place in America (Raccoon Rascal). I just do not rush having to watch everything. 2-3 series a year suffice. Prefer rewatching a series I liked to reevaluate things I missed or forgotten.
Eg have the BD of Flip Flappers for later rewatch.
I've already seen all the old anime thats worth watching. I mean I'm not going to miss out on Slime, Jojo part 5, Attack on titan, my hero academia, Baki the grappler, mob psycho, and can't wait for season 2 of one punch man.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
goblin slayer anime is pretty boring
Its cute how they're trying so hard to make it dark

qZQHBkP.jpg

hecatomb

Banned
You want dark anime just watch doomed megalopolis,Ninja Scroll or Guyver. They make goblin slayer look like candy land.
Doomed_Megalopolis.jpg

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Those of you want messed up animes

doomed megalopolis
violence jack
Blood c
berserk
Guyver- 80s not the remake
Ninja Scroll
elfen lied
Devil man
Fist of the north star
parasyte

goblin slayer will never reach their level

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Does the Violence Jack anime have the dog people (totally not lucifer and mc's girl?)

hecatomb

Banned
I dont remember, I just remember those animes, having a ton of blood and gore, sometimes other things like rape, slaves, or other things, that happened before Goblin slayer was a thing. Even Akira had a lot more blood and gore then goblin slayer, since they were killing other people, not goblins. Even the last ep of Blood c is nothing but people getting killed and ripped to pieces and just blood everywhere.

doomed megalopolis might be number 1 for me, since its blood and gore, and stuff that you might see in your nightmares.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

One of the worst mangas to ever exist gets an anime adaptation

Been reading this since it started getting translated. It's pure garbage, surprised it got an anime but it may do decently if they push the T&A like the manga does. Dunno where the fuck the manga is gonna go with how things are happening however...

petran79

Banned
I've already seen all the old anime thats worth watching. I mean I'm not going to miss out on Slime, Jojo part 5, Attack on titan, my hero academia, Baki the grappler, mob psycho, and can't wait for season 2 of one punch man.

There are still many gems worth watching and ignored by distributors and the fansub community. Fortunately some fansub groups still make the extra effort to release them. Eg I'd never have expected to be able to watch the Japanese and uncensored version of Saber Rider or Samurai Pizza Cats
Also bluerays of old movies and series make a rewatch necessary. Old hand drawn animation looks still impressive

Doom85

I mean, I'm actually trudging through SAO right now to get to the good recent seasons that have apparently improved the writing a lot, but given Asuna right now (I'm on episode 10) is one of the strongest fighters in the game and I hear later on she becomes a total damsel in distress for a good while (and nearly raped, and I heard the SAO author also admitted he was going to stop doing this as it's a cliched and lazy way to get the audience to hate your villain if that's the only reason it occurs in the story) and later on she stops being a front-line sword fighter and moves to the back line to be a healer. This is just through word of mouth but wow, that's really insulting to her potential as a character. I'm assuming this is improved in Alicization since people are reacting more positively to that.

I mean, he shouldn't be getting demands to change the story but people are totally allowed to criticize bad writing and heaven forbid he take some criticism to heart. I mean, most people agree the Eragon book series is pretty bad and criticized it plenty, you telling me the Internet would actually be all, "oh, way to give in to peer pressure!" if he heard that criticism and made an effort to write better stories?

I mean, he says the female characters will participate more and Kirito won't hog the spotlight as much. How.....awful? I remember when Naruto was airing and people were begging Kishimoto to stop overly-focusing on Naruto and Sasuke and give the other Konoha teams more to do. Don't remember people telling those critics to back off then.

I will say I don't know what he's talking about with the whole "hero" or "heroine" thing, I've barely heard anyone make a peep about those words especially since the SUPERHERO genre is the most profitable in Hollywood right now, and also saying "hero/heroine" and "protagonist/antagonist" are not mutually exclusive, I feel like he misheard something, I dunno. If there were actually a good amount of people saying to stop using those particular words, yeah they're nuts, but I've never heard of such a thing.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Been reading this since it started getting translated. It's pure garbage, surprised it got an anime but it may do decently if they push the T&A like the manga does. Dunno where the fuck the manga is gonna go with how things are happening however...
Everybody dies outside the mc her lesbian gf and maybe that one dude.
Nah. Jack never even encounters the Slum King in any of the OVAs except some minor cutaway footage in Harlem Bomber.
That is disappointing.

hecatomb

Banned
theres a few eps of berserk were nothing happens. So I would rate it has high as some other messed up animes, that always have messed up stuff happing, even like Blood C, were a high school girl gets ripped in half. Or people get just killed every ep.

Last edited:

Makariel

I'm still working my way through the entire Gundam Universal Century timeline in chronological order. Started with Origins, the classic series, Zeta, double Zeta, Char's Counterattack, now I've finished Unicorn, guess next is NT. I missed some side stories because dvd and blue rays are really difficult to get for some.

Shouta

Well, maybe it is an issue of just reading the manga then. I know manga adaptations are typically missing a lot or change stuff compared to the source material having checked out manga of other light novels before.
But like I said it isn't really a huge issue to me, I still enjoy it enough to keep reading/watching it, whereas something like Death March I dropped pretty immediately.

I read Alicization but did not care for the way the story resolved at all, so ended up dropping it. The anime seems like a decent adaptation though.

Perhaps? Manga is closer to anime so a lot of things need to get converted to make use of the format when adapting from a novel. A often hear a lot of complaints about adaptations not getting all of the stuff from a novel but it's kind of a case by case basis and can sometimes reveal more of the issues with the source material than anything damning of the adaptation. It's pretty interesting, especially in recent years, with all of the novel made into anime.

Makariel

I heard Gundam 0083 and zeta are the best. I might watch them some day.
I've yet to watch 0083, but Zeta is really good once it gets up to speed. It is noticeable that this series is from the 80ies, some pacing issues at the beginning. Enjoyed Zeta more than most of the more recent offerings. Too bad Double Zeta is a waste of time.

Doom85

Man, I need to commit to UC Gundam at some point but it's so long. Got to find the resolve someday although I have seen the compilation film trilogy of the original series and also 0080: War in the Pocket (the latter is tied with Gundam 00 as my favorite Gundam I've seen so far).

I heard Gundam 0083 and zeta are the best. I might watch them some day.

It's difficult to call any Gundam series the best. Zeta is a classic and instrumental in bringing back Gundam after the movies caused a renewed interest. Course a lot of what it brought to the series been redone and it may not come off so special if you watch it without historical context or an appreciation of the medium in the cel era.

0083 is fun but also rather vapid with weak-ish characters(Decent villain though). If you want visuals, music and a neat ending it'll do ya. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it the best of anything though.

I actually have a "guilty pleasure" in V Gundam. I love it for all the reasons people hate it - mainly that Tomino's mental anguish and breakdown from the Bandai merger caused him to go into "fuck everything" mode. The series goes from a dozen episodes where seemingly no one dies to everyone dies; usually in an incredibly pointless way or just for the sake of being outright mean spirited. I love how nihilistic it becomes and you get final time Tomino would end a series like that. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

sol_bad

You want dark anime just watch doomed megalopolis,Ninja Scroll or Guyver. They make goblin slayer look like candy land.
Doomed_Megalopolis.jpg

I didn't realise there was such and active thread for anime here.
Damn, I remember Doomed Megalopolis, vaguely remember something about a parasite raping a woman. I'm sure something like that happens.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a definitive list of oversized and hardcover manga that has been released? I know that Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel Alita have hardcovers. I know that Berserk has been announced. And I know Attack on Titan has an oversized release.
Are there other books?

hecatomb

Banned
It's difficult to call any Gundam series the best. Zeta is a classic and instrumental in bringing back Gundam after the movies caused a renewed interest. Course a lot of what it brought to the series been redone and it may not come off so special if you watch it without historical context or an appreciation of the medium in the cel era.

0083 is fun but also rather vapid with weak-ish characters(Decent villain though). If you want visuals, music and a neat ending it'll do ya. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it the best of anything though.

I actually have a "guilty pleasure" in V Gundam. I love it for all the reasons people hate it - mainly that Tomino's mental anguish and breakdown from the Bandai merger caused him to go into "fuck everything" mode. The series goes from a dozen episodes where seemingly no one dies to everyone dies; usually in an incredibly pointless way or just for the sake of being outright mean spirited. I love how nihilistic it becomes and you get final time Tomino would end a series like that. :messenger_smirking:
I'm sure theres some Gundam series that are better then others. Just like some Jojo fans argue which ones are better then others.

silentstorm

I'm sure theres some Gundam series that are better then others. Just like some Jojo fans argue which ones are better then others.
Oh, absolutely, it's a big franchise with a ton of series, any franchise like that will have people comparing the series like Hell.

Anyways, i am probably not the best person to talk to about Gundam, since my favorite series are Gundam X, Turn-A Gundam and G Gundam, though not in that order, they always just felt like the best series to me.

Yes, even G Gundam, despite it being a super robot series with stereotypes, it made up for it just by being a lot of fun, plus i actually enjoy super robot series so there's that as well.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Zeta Gundam, CCA, G and Turn A are probably the best overall.

I really love 0080 and I'm hoping Hathaway's Flash movie trilogy isn't garbage. I need to finish G-Reco so I can watch IBO & After War X.

Makariel

I think CCA depends too much on knowing Zeta and ZZ, and by itself is not very good. Also, a bit too much space magic for my taste.

IBO is pretty good, for newcomers to Gundam I'd recommend this as a starting point. That or 08th MS team. Turn A is also great, but too much in terms of callbacks and references that a newcomer would not understand.

Doom85

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a definitive list of oversized and hardcover manga that has been released? I know that Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel Alita have hardcovers. I know that Berserk has been announced. And I know Attack on Titan has an oversized release.
Are there other books?

Gundam: The Origin is collected in hardcovers (at least the US version). Just a heads up, despite the same name as the recent anime OVAs, the Gundam: The Origin manga is a remake of the original Gundam anime series (whereas the Origin anime follows events set before said series). Not read it yet myself but if it's roughly the same quality as the original anime it should be pretty good.

Also, Junji Ito (mangaka who focuses on horror manga, his most famous one being Uzumaki) has had Uzumaki and I believe at least one other of his works collected in hardcover. I can't speak for what else he has done as I haven't read them yet but Uzumaki was a really good read.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
D13.png

UnZJ7V7.png

Slice of life manga is getting weird

Last edited by a moderator:

silentstorm

So, all these talks of Gundam made me finally watch one mecha movie, Mazinger Z:Infinity and it's...fine, i guess?

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun movie, and the fight scenes are badass, it just feels like nothing has the weight it should or that the plot moves way too fast, not only that, but it became a bit too stereotypical super robot at the end, and sure, some will say that Mazinger Z is a super robot, but honestly?

A lot of times he felt like a cross between super robots and real robots, maybe because he was the first and not many of the tropes had been set yet, it had a pilot who spent a while being terrible at controlling his mecha to a point where he didn't know how to stop moving, the mecha couldn't fly because it was too heavy and required an add-on, it was constantly getting repaired and upgraded, it had no definite finisher move to a point where everything Mazinger Z had could and was used as a finisher, and being hot blooded did not make Mazinger Z more powerful in any way.

But screw that, because the movie literally gives Koji a walking android that can warp reality to regenerate Mazinger Z, make it grow larger and have it literally be powered up by everyone in the world as the villain just stares and does nothing, worse, the Goragon/even more giant Mazinger Z fight is basically just a few punches and a rocket punch which is just lame.

The end just felt very much like a cheap stereotypical super robot ending rather than a Mazinger ending, and yes, the franchise had done a sudden power-up before with Mazinkaiser, except at least the fight with Baron Ashura after Mazinkaiser was suddenly powered up was actually pretty cool.

Well, at least Mazinger Z: Infinity features the robot going full blown Dynasty Warriors on an army of robots and it's awesome:

Pratically the most fun scene in the movie.

Last edited:
@Whataburger (edit: sorry for bringing this topic back, I was on page 14 thought your post was the latest) Why should Goku and Gon have the same reactions? They're different people. Goku experienced loss before (when Krillin was killed by Picollo Sr.) and is a hardened fighter who is capable of containing his emotions. Gon is a child who experienced real loss for the first time and
was still expecting things to turn out fine for Kaito until the shocking confession from Neferupito (that person is already dead) which added to the devastation he felt. Gon may not have spent a lot of time with Kaito but he was someone special for him as he knew his father so his loss was huge.

Really these are different stories with different characters in different situations, heck even the dramatic focus and themes are different. These scenes both work very well for what they are meant to convey.

Last edited:

Shouta

Mazinger Infinity is definitely a super robot movie and is kind of a send off to the original Mazinger series since it ties off a lot of little loose-end and caps the story. It's cheesy and silly at times but it's kind of meant to be that.

kingbean

I was bored and saw something with a very stupid title and watched the first 3 episodes and enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would. Considering the name I figured I would hate it, but go figure.

It's from last season I think. Rascal does not dream of bunny girl senpai.

bigedole

I was bored and saw something with a very stupid title and watched the first 3 episodes and enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would. Considering the name I figured I would hate it, but go figure.

Yeah, it's good :) My wife ribbed me for watching it because of the name too...

I started watching that too, but ended up calling it quits when;

His 'fake' girlfriend is watching the bunny chick and getting mad at the end of episode 6ish. I'm pretty sure I knew where it's headed, feels and all. I don't need that shit in my life every anime.

bigedole

If you stop watching anime every time you see a cliche, you must drop a lot of shows. It's a good show and it was entertaining throughout, and I generally dislike romantic comedies for the very reason you're complaining about.

Top Bottom