• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If you stop watching anime every time you see a cliche, you must drop a lot of shows. It's a good show and it was entertaining throughout, and I generally dislike romantic comedies for the very reason you're complaining about.
It's my favorite show from last season. Had bunny as my avatar for like a week.

Fbh

Caught up with the Golden Kamuy Manga.
Aside from the authors weird obsession with penises it's pretty damn great. Solid art, great characters and fun mix of action and humor. I also love how instead of having the generic "good guys vs bad guys" setup it keeps changing the dynamics between the entire main cast, we don't see enough of this.
Also, for a change I also learned a thing or two reading this.

Anyone got some manga recommendation I could read now? Looking for something actiony that hopefully isn't too generic/Shonen-like.
Some stuff I've liked:
Berserk, Vagabond, Vinland Saga (though I liked it a lot more before the time skip), most Naoki Urasawa stuff, Übel Blatt (was a bit too edgy but it was fun...until it took a terrible turn with the story and I lost interest), Claymore (mostly the first half), One punch man, Gamaran, The breaker (went to shit with new waves though).... and several more (most of the big/popular ones)

I've read everywhere that this manhwa noblesse is apparently really good but I kinda hate the "tiny frame in the middle and 80% of the page is just white" style....is it worth checking out?

Last edited:
If you stop watching anime every time you see a cliche, you must drop a lot of shows.

What cliche? I just don't care for super depressing shit.

the fake girlfriend killing the bunny girl isn't something I want to watch, though that's just where it looked like it was going and may not have ended up there.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why would a secondary character kill of the titular character?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Some stuff I've liked:
Berserk, Vagabond, Vinland Saga (though I liked it a lot more before the time skip), most Naoki Urasawa stuff, Übel Blatt (was a bit too edgy but it was fun...until it took a terrible turn with the story and I lost interest), Claymore (mostly the first half), One punch man, Gamaran, The breaker (went to shit with new waves though).... and several more (most of the big/popular ones)
Have you read Akame ga Kill? That's some cheap entertaining garbage but I loved it. It's got a sequel now too. lol.

I need to get back into reading manga again, been reading mostly Shounen shit, Black Clover is generic as fuck but I am pressing on with it.

Wanna read Cells at Work, Kuutei Dragons and Golden Kamuy soon.

Why would a secondary character kill of the titular character?
Shock value.

Fbh

Have you read Akame ga Kill? That's some cheap entertaining garbage but I loved it. It's got a sequel now too. lol.

I need to get back into reading manga again, been reading mostly Shounen shit, Black Clover is generic as fuck but I am pressing on with it.

Wanna read Cells at Work, Kuutei Dragons and Golden Kamuy soon.

Shock value.

Yeah read akame ga kill. Totally agree with you it's some cheap shonen but somehow still quite enjoyable. Didn't know it has a sequel though, will check those out..

Also reading the weekly shonen stuff though the only ones I find consistently good are One Piece and Dr.Stone

Sakura

Been reading Kaguyasama ha kokurasetai.
Pretty good, though they seem to lose the whole titular premise pretty early on. I guess that is common nowadays though.

Zaru

Been reading Kaguyasama ha kokurasetai.
Pretty good, though they seem to lose the whole titular premise pretty early on. I guess that is common nowadays though.
Series who don't let go of their worn out gimmick tend to overstay their welcome after a year.
Kaguya kept its level and often even improved upon it by expanding the scope and introducing proper arcs for character development.

Sakura

Series who don't let go of their worn out gimmick tend to overstay their welcome after a year.
Kaguya kept its level and often even improved upon it by expanding the scope and introducing proper arcs for character development.
Don't get me wrong I don't think it is bad. I just think it is funny how this is such a trend these days. You've got all these series that have some gimmick, which is also the title, to get you interested then they just sort of drop it. I think it is more common in light novels though.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Shock value.
There wasn't ever any malice in her though. This isn't Monogatari lol. As for depressing I don't think it ever became that but it was a bit sad towards the end and we never find out who a certain person was. Not the anime's fault so much as the ln is pretty much at the same point the anime ended at.

kingbean

There wasn't ever any malice in her though. This isn't Monogatari lol. As for depressing I don't think it ever became that but it was a bit sad towards the end and we never find out who a certain person was. Not the anime's fault so much as the ln is pretty much at the same point the anime ended at.

I watched all of the Monogatari series, it is one of my favorites.

hecatomb

Banned
I think Akame ga Kill manga was like 50 times better then the anime. Most of the good characters died so I stopped reading it. You build these characters up through the whole series then just get rid of them, like they are nothing.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think Akame ga Kill manga was like 50 times better then the anime. Most of the good characters died so I stopped reading it. You build these characters up through the whole series then just get rid of them, like they are nothing.

I swear the author had something against small breasted characters. Almost every single one was murdered, tortured, beaten, or put into a coma.

hecatomb

Banned
I only watched it cause there was nothing else to watch. Besides brilliant park, and that anime sucked. At least I found better anime to watch like magi the labyrinth of magic, and the 2nd series Magi the kingdom of magic.
MAGI:.The.Labyrinth.of.Magic.608951.jpg

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You can't ask much from a manga that has eroge origins.

Shouta

Depends on series though. Those Who Hunt Elves lasted 9 years as a manga (monthly, of course) and then its sequel lasted 5 years as well and it never let go of the gimmick but it also was a way more flexible one.

hecatomb

Banned
You can't ask much from a manga that has eroge origins.
It was a ok anime, till they just killed everyone off. Other animes have done this before, but in Akame ga Kill, they try to make it seem like all these characters mean something and they don't. Theres other animes that kill off characters like the Fate/stay night series, or jojos bizarre adventure, but in Akame ga Kill they make characters seem useless.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jojo's so much better this season! That kid gloves small town high school setting became pretty grating after a while, especially with all the munchkin side characters. The emphasis on Japanese culture doesn't really suit it very well, either. Glad Jojo's back to its roots of wholesome man-bonding and fashionable ultra-violence en Italia. :lollipop_kissing_smiling:

MUDA MUDA MUDA!

Last edited:

Labolas

Does anyone know a good manga that has strong main female characters? I've read Battle Angel Alita (and its sequels) and Gunsmith Cats. Even some stuff similar to Peridot or Killing Bites or Buraichou Himegami. DIdn't like Claymore for being boring and annoying to read. Teppo is alright, but got cancel. It just seems the choices are sparse for manga and especially for anime nowadays.

hecatomb

Banned
Does anyone know a good manga that has strong main female characters? I've read Battle Angel Alita (and its sequels) and Gunsmith Cats. Even some stuff similar to Peridot or Killing Bites or Buraichou Himegami. DIdn't like Claymore for being boring and annoying to read. Teppo is alright, but got cancel. It just seems the choices are sparse for manga and especially for anime nowadays.

Mai-hime

mai-otome

ghost in the shell

ghost in the shell arise

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Fate/Stay night unlimited blade works

Fate/Zero

Black Lagoon

Read or Die

Lain

Iria
https://youtu.be/ViFm9ifpOww

Dangan Ronpa
https://youtu.be/kp9h8vWcwtU

Kill la Kill
https://youtu.be/g8AYlOeLQhk

Panty and Stocking
https://youtu.be/wF-nHK__9xs

Last edited:

Labolas

I've seen all of those. Mai Hime wasn't that good nor was the sequel. Fate/Zero's characters aren't interesting especially Saber. The rest of the series you listed are great though. ROD TV is goat, GITS is goat, Lain is super interesting. Black Lagoon is fun times. Madoka Magica is the Eva of magical school girls (fyi Eva is one of my favorite series)

But out of those you listed I would consider ROD TV, GITS, and Black Lagoon having strong female leads without a male lead overshadowing them.

Personally, I want something more in the vein of Dirty Pair, You're Under Arrest, Bubblegum Crisis, or Battle Angel. Again I know that isn't something most modern anime don't touch up on and I don't expect no one to have an actual answer but I sorely miss these types of anime/manga.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
You won't find animes like dirty pair, bubble gum crisis or battle angle in the 2000s. The only thing else I can think of is Armitage III. Most of the old style anime is gone. Also those animes weren't that popular. Fate series is really popular in Japan. Also the hime series had more success in Japan then most female animes, and had movies also. So your opinion isn't really valid. The type of people who watch shounen anime are males, and they relate to male main characters.

Female main characters have mostly been moved to the romance and comedy animes now

Last edited:

petran79

Banned

For manga the ones I remember:

Lady Snowblood, Devilman Lady, Eternal Sabbath, Queen Emeraldas, Appleseed, Teppuu

Labolas

You won't find animes like dirty pair, bubble gum crisis or battle angle in the 2000s. The only thing else I can think of is Armitage III. Most of the old style anime is gone. Also those animes weren't that popular. Fate series is really popular in Japan. Also the hime series had more success in Japan then most female animes, and had movies also. So your opinion isn't really valid. The type of people who watch shounen anime are males, and they relate to male main characters.

Female main characters have mostly been moved to the romance and comedy animes now

Yeah, again didn't expect an actual answer. Just something closer to those styles of anime/manga.

Also popularity doesn't determine if a series is good or not. C'mon don't throw that in there like something I didn't know. I think GITS has a bigger reach worldwide than either of those series.

For manga the ones I remember:

Lady Snowblood, Devilman Lady, Eternal Sabbath, Queen Emeraldas, Appleseed, Teppuu

I haven't heard of a few of these thanks.

Last edited:
You know something I'd like to see more of in modern anime/manga?

Western settings, think animes like Gunsmith Cats or Hellsing.

It's just something different, the vast, vast majority of anime now are set either just in good old Japan or in fantasy/sci fi type settings and it would be nice to have more variety.

I always loved Hellsing's UK setting for example and I'm honestly surprised there isn't more anime/manga set there

The most recent example I can think of is Vinland Saga, which is set in Viking era Norway.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

It's just something different, the vast, vast majority of anime now are set either just in good old Japan or in fantasy/sci fi type settings and it would be nice to have more variety.

I always loved Hellsing's UK setting for example and I'm honestly surprised there isn't more anime/manga set there

The most recent example I can think of is Vinland Saga, which is set in Viking era Norway.
We have plenty of western stuff if you count isekai. Most of em are about knights, and western gods/demons/monsters if you think about it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But that falls under fantasy, I meant "western settings" as in real life places like the UK, USA and so on, to be clear.
So you just meant like geographically real? Oh so like JoJo Part 7? That takes place in America! Part 6 is in fucking Florida. Claymore?

So you just meant like geographically real? Oh so like JoJo Part 7? That takes place in America! Part 6 is in fucking Florida. Claymore?

I don't follow JoJo, so I wasn't aware of that, but that's really interesting.

But to be fair JoJo is based on an older manga, current stuff with settings like that are rare.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Soul Eater and its spin off Not! Are set in America.

petran79

Banned

There are plenty if you are willing to look for it:

Lupin III part IV does also take place in Italy since it was a coproduction I think, with the Italian dub airing first. Very good setting reproduction overall, while Part V takes place in France. Havent watched that one yet. Reporter Blues is another Italian-Japanese coproduction with realistic design and animation in interwar Paris.

Yuri on Ice features a multinational cast too, so I preferred the English dub. Kaleido Star takes place in California. World Masterpiece Theater series (27 I think), take place in Europe, Australia or America, except Tico. TMS adapted some series in Western settings, like Secret of Cerulean Sand, based on Jules Verne novels. Emily of New Moon, Lady Georgie, Alpen Rose, Candy Candy, Sandybell, Jeannie with the light brown hair (80s and 90s adaptation), Little Women (Toei), Cuore, Bearcub Jackie, Two Lottes, Little House on the Prairie, Nell the Wandering Girl, Star of the Seine etc

Last edited:
There are plenty if you are willing to look for it:

Lupin III part IV does also take place in Italy since it was a coproduction I think, with the Italian dub airing first. Very good setting reproduction overall, while Part V takes place in France. Havent watched that one yet. Reporter Blues is another Italian-Japanese coproduction with realistic design and animation in interwar Paris.

Yuri on Ice features a multinational cast too, so I preferred the English dub. Kaleido Star takes place in California. World Masterpiece Theater series (27 I think), take place in Europe, Australia or America, except Tico. TMS adapted some series in Western settings, like Secret of Cerulean Sand, based on Jules Verne novels. Emily of New Moon, Lady Georgie, Alpen Rose, Candy Candy, Sandybell, Jeannie with the light brown hair (80s and 90s adaptation), Little Women (Toei), Cuore, Bearcub Jackie, Two Lottes, Little House on the Prairie, Nell the Wandering Girl, Star of the Seine etc

It was more common in the past, I was saying it's pretty rare in the 2010s.

I second the Lupin III Parts IV & V suggestion. The locations are very detailed, varied and close to real life. The western influence carries into the music as well. That show was such a blast to watch.

The current JoJo adaptation does a terrific job at depicting Italy and its locations, only the character designs are detached from reality but they're so inventive/fabulous/over-the-top it's not a negative.

Can't wait for Vinland Saga!

genjiZERO

I'm looking for a recommendation specifically on Crunchy roll. Something both dark and psychedelic. Something similar to Made in the Abyss or Children of Whales.

hecatomb

Banned

western animes have never been popular in Japan, thats the problem. Its hard also to make it in the anime industry. They know what makes money and what doesn't. As much as I liked Trigun, it will never be as successful as other shounen animes.

hecatomb

Banned
Yeah, again didn't expect an actual answer. Just something closer to those styles of anime/manga.

Also popularity doesn't determine if a series is good or not. C'mon don't throw that in there like something I didn't know. I think GITS has a bigger reach worldwide than either of those series.

I haven't heard of a few of these thanks.
well to be fair I didn't ask for your opinion on which anime is good and bad. If Mai series was bad, they wouldn't have made sequels, and movies, and video games for it. Fate series is also very successful in Japan also, which a ton of sequels, movies, mangas, light novels, and video games. Some animes don't reach America, mostly due to money and culture, issues. Ghost in the shell is also a westernized anime, like cowboy bebop, so it was easier to release them in America and other western countries. Even though, they will never be as successful or popular as shounen animes.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
western animes have never been popular in Japan, thats the problem. Its hard also to make it in the anime industry. They know what makes money and what doesn't. As much as I liked Trigun, it will never be as successful as other shounen animes.

In Japan things were better in the 70s with series like Heidi and Rascal. The latter caused an agricultural disaster because everyone bought raccoons as pets and then abandoned them in the fields.
The series I mentioned were mostly produced for Western export since they were based on Western novels. Eg there is even a 52 episode adaptation of The Yearling, dubbed into English too and with very good quality and research about Florida's flora and fauna. There was even an adaptation of The Twins at St Claire's, stangely never dubbed in the UK.

But that era is gone, the most one can hope for is something like adaptations of Ashita no Nadja or Victorian Romance Emma that take place in England yet are based on Japanese works.

hecatomb

Banned
In Japan things were better in the 70s with series like Heidi and Rascal. The latter caused an agricultural disaster because everyone bought raccoons as pets and then abandoned them in the fields.
The series I mentioned were mostly produced for Western export since they were based on Western novels. Eg there is even a 52 episode adaptation of The Yearling, dubbed into English too and with very good quality and research about Florida's flora and fauna. There was even an adaptation of The Twins at St Claire's, stangely never dubbed in the UK.

But that era is gone, the most one can hope for is something like adaptations of Ashita no Nadja or Victorian Romance Emma that take place in England yet are based on Japanese works.
the shounen type of anime is the most successful type of anime, look how long One piece, Naruto, Dragon ball, Jojos, Fist of the North Star have been around. And now they have my hero academia, attack on titan, one punch man, which will be around for awhile now also. As much as I like ghost in the shell and cowboy bebop, they will never be as big. Even attack on titan got its own theme park.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen is Magical girl edge meets a faster paced Black Lagoon.

petran79

Banned
Pretty Sammy TV series was so funny and refreshing. Very underrated too.

the shounen type of anime is the most successful type of anime, look how long One piece, Naruto, Dragon ball, Jojos, Fist of the North Star have been around. And now they have my hero academia, attack on titan, one punch man, which will be around for awhile now also. As much as I like ghost in the shell and cowboy bebop, they will never be as big. Even attack on titan got its own theme park.

For boys yes, but Heidi is huge too for over 45 years. It even spawned a new CGI European TV series.

Labolas

well to be fair I didn't ask for your opinion on which anime is good and bad. If Mai series was bad, they wouldn't have made sequels, and movies, and video games for it. Fate series is also very successful in Japan also, which a ton of sequels, movies, mangas, light novels, and video games. Some animes don't reach America, mostly due to money and culture, issues. Ghost in the shell is also a westernized anime, like cowboy bebop, so it was easier to release them in America and other western countries. Even though, they will never be as successful or popular as shounen animes.

Lol, you didn't have to ask. Just gave some quick thoughts on those shows you listed. Sorry if you got offended. Popularity doesn't equate how good a show is my dude. There have been plenty of examples of shows that have next to no quality but for whatever the reason is pretty popular. And to be fair to Mai Hime, I never said it was bad just not that good as some of the other you've listed.

hecatomb

Banned
Lol, you didn't have to ask. Just gave some quick thoughts on those shows you listed. Sorry if you got offended. Popularity doesn't equate how good a show is my dude. There have been plenty of examples of shows that have next to no quality but for whatever the reason is pretty popular. And to be fair to Mai Hime, I never said it was bad just not that good as some of the other you've listed.
I never said popular shows are good, they are more successful then others, and make more money. And most western types of anime are pretty much a hit or miss in Japan. Though it animes like bubble crisis, and dirty pair were popular and good, more people would be making animes like them, but they don't.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Pretty Sammy TV series was so funny and refreshing. Very underrated too.

For boys yes, but Heidi is huge too for over 45 years. It even spawned a new CGI European TV series.
never heard of it, then again I don't think its a anime genre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom