• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

hecatomb

Banned
Banana Fish was a recent anime that takes place in NYC.
i havent seen Banana Fish, mostly cause I heard it has yaoi in it. Western animes are like Cowboy Bebop, ghost in the shell, and Trigun. They have more western influence in them.

petran79

Banned
never heard of it, then again I don't think its a anime genre.

This would be considered like the precursor to Studio Ghibili family oriented movies. Ghibili staff worked on those series too prior to the studio's founding. But back then except Nausicaa, Ghibili movies were relatively unknown in Europe and America in the 80s and 90s. Anime there was considered as cheap entertainment, not something worth for cinema releases till the awards of Spirited Away.

hecatomb

Banned
This would be considered like the precursor to Studio Ghibili family oriented movies. Ghibili staff worked on those series too prior to the studio's founding. But back then except Nausicaa, Ghibili movies were relatively unknown in Europe and America in the 80s and 90s. Anime there was considered as cheap entertainment, not something worth for cinema releases till the awards of Spirited Away.
You mean slice of life anime genre. And I was mostly talking about anime genres that are successful. If you add up the most successful animes from each genre shounen will come out on top. Even though I don't care for one piece and Naruto, id rather watch Jojos, attack on titan, one punch man, and my hero academia

So I just found this music video looking for the song from the new Birds of Prey teaser. This appears to be a fan made music video of the song using a compilation of anime clips

Can anyone tell me where some of there clips come from? I recognize Ghost in the Shell and Akita, but that’s it

So I just found this music video looking for the song from the new Birds of Prey teaser. This appears to be a fan made music video of the song using a compilation of anime clips

Can anyone tell me where some of there clips come from? I recognize Ghost in the Shell and Akita, but that’s it

Are there specific ones you want to know cause there's an assload of stuff mashed up in there. Goku: Midnight Eye, Dominion Tank Police, Black Magic M-66, Riding Bean, Bubblegum Crisis, Armitage III, Perfect Blue, Spriggan, Patlabor, Macross:DYRL, Plus, Kite, Neo Tokyo, Battle Angel and several others...

Last edited:
Are there specific ones you want to know cause there's an assload of stuff mashed up in there. Goku: Midnight Eye, Dominion Tank Police, Black Magic M-66, Riding Bean, Bubblegum Crisis, Armitage III, Perfect Blue, Spriggan, Patlabor, Macross:DYRL, Plus, Kite, Neo Tokyo, Battle Angel and several others...

lol sorry about that. I’m an anime noob. The video is cool as hell to me so I was just like “man I want to watch all of this source material” I didn’t know how many different sources there were.

I’ll start working on that list you gave, thanks

hecatomb

Banned
lol sorry about that. I’m an anime noob. The video is cool as hell to me so I was just like “man I want to watch all of this source material” I didn’t know how many different sources there were.

I’ll start working on that list you gave, thanks
he listed them all on the vid, reading is hard

Anime: A.D. Police Files OVA '90 | Akira | Angel Cop | Armitage III OVA '95 | Battle Angel Alita | Black Magic M-66 | Bubblegum Crisis OVA '87 | Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 TV '98 | City Hunter TV '87 | Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door | Cyber City Oedo 808 | Dominion Tank Police OVA '88 | Ghost in the Shell '95 | Goku Midnight Eye | Golden Boy | Gunsmith Cats | Guyver OVA '89 | Initial D: First Stage | Kite | Macross: Do You Remember Love? | Macross II Lovers Again OVA | Macross Plus: Movie Edition | Manie-Manie: Meikyuu Monogatari | Memories | Parasite Dolls | Patlabor OVA '88 | Patlabor: Early Days '88 | Patlabor TV '89 | Patlabor: The Movie '89 | Patlabor - The New Files OVA '90 | Patlabor 2: The Movie '93 | Perfect Blue | Riding Bean | Seijuuki Cyguard | Spriggan | Venus Wars | You're Under Arrest! TV '96 | You're Under Arrest! The Movie.

he listed them all on the vid, reading is hard

Anime: A.D. Police Files OVA '90 | Akira | Angel Cop | Armitage III OVA '95 | Battle Angel Alita | Black Magic M-66 | Bubblegum Crisis OVA '87 | Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 TV '98 | City Hunter TV '87 | Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door | Cyber City Oedo 808 | Dominion Tank Police OVA '88 | Ghost in the Shell '95 | Goku Midnight Eye | Golden Boy | Gunsmith Cats | Guyver OVA '89 | Initial D: First Stage | Kite | Macross: Do You Remember Love? | Macross II Lovers Again OVA | Macross Plus: Movie Edition | Manie-Manie: Meikyuu Monogatari | Memories | Parasite Dolls | Patlabor OVA '88 | Patlabor: Early Days '88 | Patlabor TV '89 | Patlabor: The Movie '89 | Patlabor - The New Files OVA '90 | Patlabor 2: The Movie '93 | Perfect Blue | Riding Bean | Seijuuki Cyguard | Spriggan | Venus Wars | You're Under Arrest! TV '96 | You're Under Arrest! The Movie.

Damn I coulda saved myself a hot minute if I didn't watch the embedded ver. :messenger_savoring:

bigedole

Rewatching Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan... it's so good. Probably my favorite straight comedy show. Check it out on Netflix if you like comedy shows and haven't tried it yet!

petran79

Banned
DVDs of Kaleido Star and Princess Tutu finally arrived. Will rewatch them both prior to Hugtto! Precure. Watching Kaleido Star and it still has not lost its magic after all these years, 3 episodes in. English dub this time and it is decent.
Also screw Funimation who in this day and age are still infesting DVDs with forced trailers before the main menu. Even AnyDVD could not decrypt all CSS keys.
Surprised at the 14 age rating though for both.

Doom85

DVDs of Kaleido Star and Princess Tutu finally arrived. Will rewatch them both prior to Hugtto! Precure. Watching Kaleido Star and it still has not lost its magic after all these years, 3 episodes in. English dub this time and it is decent.
Also screw Funimation who in this day and age are still infesting DVDs with forced trailers before the main menu. Even AnyDVD could not decrypt all CSS keys.
Surprised at the 14 age rating though for both.

Maybe their DVDs aren't like that, but FUNI's BRs I've been able to skip the pre-menu trailer on them. At least I think so unless maybe the older ones you couldn't, I just know that recently I was rewatching my BRs of Is This a Zombie? Season 1 and Lucky Star and I could just skip those trailers.

Doom85

Comedy anime (off the top of my head) I enjoyed -

School Rumble - wacky romantic comedy that excels at finding creative new ways in which romantic confessions or flirting go badly or get interpreted wrong
Azumanga Daioh - a group of girls in high school, kinda slice-of-life like but tons of comedy of their everyday lives (this and School Rumble are my personal favorite comedy anime)
Baka and Test - a class of idiots in a school where your grades determine the quality of your classrooms/lunch area/etc., and an Avatar battle game where your level is determined by your recent test scores and you play to advance to better classrooms, pretty funny show
The Devil is a Part-Timer - pretty good action/comedy where the Devil, his second-in-command, and the heroine trying to stop them find themselves transported from their fantasy world to modern Japan, where to get by (as all their powers/magic are weakened for a while) Satan has to get a job at McDonald's
Pani Poni Dash - if Azumanga Daoih were made on way more drugs. A 10-year old genius becomes a high school teacher, her talking bunny is so depressed it makes Eeyore look cheerful, the class rep is certifiably nuts, and God is a talking cat living inside a vending machine. Pretty insane and funny
Gamers! - kinda like School Rumble with the misunderstandings but they kinda drop this angle mostly halfway through and it just becomes standard romantic comedy, still decent but first half was stronger
My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy - terrible long title aside*, a pretty good series where the main guy has a curse that occasionally mentally presents him with two options and he must act out whichever one he picks and they're usually both terrible and humiliating.
Ben-To - action/comedy, guy finds out about a group of people who wait for any sale on bento boxes at a convenience store and proceed to go crazy "Fight Club" on each other to get the boxes first, fairly good

Yeah, it's not a genre in anime I watch a ton, but I have enjoyed some.

*seriously Japan, I know it's to sell light novels more easily due to the mass market and having the plot be clear on the book spine attracts more potential buyers, but PLEASE STOP with the long titles

hecatomb

Banned
I don't mind comedy, or slice of life. Its just I don't see the point of having a anime for stuff you can just do in real life. Like action animes like shounen or giant mech animes, theres no way you can have in real life.

bigedole

I don't mind comedy, or slice of life. Its just I don't see the point of having a anime for stuff you can just do in real life. Like action animes like shounen or giant mech animes, theres no way you can have in real life.

Give Saiki a try. You'll know within the first episode or two if you'll like it. Basically he's an all powerful psychic determined to hide his powers and is surrounded by an entertaining cast. It makes fun of a lot of tropes.

Comedy anime (off the top of my head) I enjoyed -

School Rumble - wacky romantic comedy that excels at finding creative new ways in which romantic confessions or flirting go badly or get interpreted wrong
Azumanga Daioh - a group of girls in high school, kinda slice-of-life like but tons of comedy of their everyday lives (this and School Rumble are my personal favorite comedy anime)
Baka and Test - a class of idiots in a school where your grades determine the quality of your classrooms/lunch area/etc., and an Avatar battle game where your level is determined by your recent test scores and you play to advance to better classrooms, pretty funny show
The Devil is a Part-Timer - pretty good action/comedy where the Devil, his second-in-command, and the heroine trying to stop them find themselves transported from their fantasy world to modern Japan, where to get by (as all their powers/magic are weakened for a while) Satan has to get a job at McDonald's
Pani Poni Dash - if Azumanga Daoih were made on way more drugs. A 10-year old genius becomes a high school teacher, her talking bunny is so depressed it makes Eeyore look cheerful, the class rep is certifiably nuts, and God is a talking cat living inside a vending machine. Pretty insane and funny
Gamers! - kinda like School Rumble with the misunderstandings but they kinda drop this angle mostly halfway through and it just becomes standard romantic comedy, still decent but first half was stronger
My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy - terrible long title aside*, a pretty good series where the main guy has a curse that occasionally mentally presents him with two options and he must act out whichever one he picks and they're usually both terrible and humiliating.
Ben-To - action/comedy, guy finds out about a group of people who wait for any sale on bento boxes at a convenience store and proceed to go crazy "Fight Club" on each other to get the boxes first, fairly good

Yeah, it's not a genre in anime I watch a ton, but I have enjoyed some.

*seriously Japan, I know it's to sell light novels more easily due to the mass market and having the plot be clear on the book spine attracts more potential buyers, but PLEASE STOP with the long titles

I've watched most of these, pretty good selection :) I'm not a fan of Cute Girls Doing Cute Things shows in general, and I really dislike standard romcom fare like Gamers with poorly written love triangles based on misunderstandings. Devil is a Part-Timer, Baka and Test and Mental Choices were all really fun shows to watch though, in fact I think I will rewatch NouCome :p I wish B&T got another season too.

petran79

Banned
The Sayonara, Zetsoubu Sensei manga is perhaps the best I have read when it comes to adult comedy, parody and satire. It was not a short read either. All that text and references took me 2 weeks to read in over 30 volumes.
Havent watched the anime series but I read good comments about it, managing to have its own humour in animated format

Maybe their DVDs aren't like that, but FUNI's BRs I've been able to skip the pre-menu trailer on them. At least I think so unless maybe the older ones you couldn't, I just know that recently I was rewatching my BRs of Is This a Zombie? Season 1 and Lucky Star and I could just skip those trailers.

The Kaleido Star release was the newer SAVE Edition where they crammed 53 episodes in 8 DVD-9 discs for smaller box sets. So they added new encryptions

Labolas

School Rumble and Azumanga are both great. Both have a cast of characters that are enjoyable on the whole.

For comedy anime, give Golden Boy a shot it's hilarious and it's way better than the manga. Also give Asobi Asobase a chance. I don't think I laughed that hard at a show since Watamote.

Last edited:

Shouta

They did a really good job of adapting Shield Hero episode 4. The animation has a lot of budget-saving shortcuts but the director definitely knows how to build the scenes with that constraint. Changing the colors to match his descent into despair along with the other touches was great. The additional UI/Vision corruption was great too and something that works really well because it's an anime.

I do miss a few parts here and there from the manga, particularly when Raphtalia tells him "I believe you. You didn't do it" to him in that adaptation. Those lines have a much stronger impact, especially with the way the manga artist did the scene.

hecatomb

Banned
Theres finally a anime of Dororo, shits been around since the 60s, and finally gets a anime.

Last edited:

bigedole

So I gave Gamers! another try. It starts off really strong with the first 3 episodes, and I like the characters, but the drama in episodes 4 to 6 is sooooooo tiresome. It's just really poorly written cliche tripe. The show picks up a bit from 7 on and finishes ok, but I dropped it the first time at episode 6 because it was such a chore to get through them :p There are MUCH better romcom's without a doubt, and I don't think Gamers! belongs in the conversation with the other shows Doom85 Doom85 listed in terms of quality, but my opinion of it is a bit better now that I watched it all the way through.

Last edited:

Doom85

Yeah, it depends on your preferences. I love how convoluted their misunderstandings get and how by the end of episode 6 it's become a massive insanity with characters thinking all the wrong assumptions about everyone else's intentions. If it were played for drama, I could see myself finding it annoying, but played for laughs it all works.

That being said, School Rumble was the KING of this. Some hilarious examples I still remember despite it being like a decade since I saw the series:

-so Harima likes Tenma but Tenma likes Karasuma. Karusama rides a bike to school so Tenma buys a bike so she can talk to him on the way there and Harima sees her buying a bike and decides to buy one by the same logic. So that morning as Tenma begins riding her bike to catch up with Karasuma, he suddenly takes off at top speed without noticing her. She panics and quickly accelerates as well as Harima was about to catch up to her and he panics and also speeds up. All three begin going at impossible speeds with Tenma screaming for Karasuma to slow down while Harima is confounded why Tenma is going so fast. They start passing cars on the highway and there's an Initial D reference, so good.

-Tenma decides to just write a love letter to Karasuma. But she has trouble condensing her feelings so she ends writing on basically a long scroll. As she hides near his locker, she watches him slowly read all of it.....and then flip the scroll as she had written on the entirety of that side as well. After finishing, he pauses and realizes he thinks he missed something and proceeds to re-read all of it. What seems like hours later based on Tenma's frustration, he finally finishes it, thinks for a moment, and says, "how strange. They forgot to put their name on it." Tenma runs away calling herself an idiot.

-Harima decides to quit school (he's kinda a big delinquent) and also confess his feelings. However he gets the resignation letter and the love letter mixed up. Tenma upon receiving the resignation letter begs Harima to stick with it and he agrees. The teacher calls him in and awkwardly says, "um, Harima, about this letter....." Later, Harima tries to ask Tenma out with movie tickets but due to a mix-up he ends up appearing to make the offer to his teacher. Cut to the hilarious image of a big delinquent and a middle-aged male teacher awkwardly watching a movie together.

-my favorite scene of those I can remember. So it's a test day. Harima is gazing affectionately at Tenma but then notices she forgot to put her name on the test. Panicking as that would get her a 0, he realizes he can't just tell her that out loud or the teacher will think he's cheating. First he loudly declares he feels so dumb and nearly forgot to put him name on the test (thinking Tenma will notice her own omission) which causes the teacher to tell him to calm down but Tenma just playfully laughs at him oblivious to her own mistake. So then he tosses a note on the ground for her but it lands closer to the guy on his right who picks up the note saying, "you forgot to put your name on the test." This guy ALSO had forgotten to do that, he then writes his name and turns around and thanks Harima and Harima punches him and the guy is so confused about what just happened. Finally Harima realizes he can put Tenma's name on his test and while that means he'll get a 0 he's willing to do that for the girl he loves. The next day, the teacher criticizes Harima for apparently not turning in the test and gives him a 0 but Harima is just happy Tenma will succeed. Then the teacher turns to Tenma and says she managed to get a 0 by getting every single answer wrong and Harima begins tearing up remembering, "oh right, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to tests!"

bigedole

Yeah, it depends on your preferences. I love how convoluted their misunderstandings get and how by the end of episode 6 it's become a massive insanity with characters thinking all the wrong assumptions about everyone else's intentions. If it were played for drama, I could see myself finding it annoying, but played for laughs it all works.

That being said, School Rumble was the KING of this. Some hilarious examples I still remember despite it being like a decade since I saw the series:

-so Harima likes Tenma but Tenma likes Karasuma. Karusama rides a bike to school so Tenma buys a bike so she can talk to him on the way there and Harima sees her buying a bike and decides to buy one by the same logic. So that morning as Tenma begins riding her bike to catch up with Karasuma, he suddenly takes off at top speed without noticing her. She panics and quickly accelerates as well as Harima was about to catch up to her and he panics and also speeds up. All three begin going at impossible speeds with Tenma screaming for Karasuma to slow down while Harima is confounded why Tenma is going so fast. They start passing cars on the highway and there's an Initial D reference, so good.

-Tenma decides to just write a love letter to Karasuma. But she has trouble condensing her feelings so she ends writing on basically a long scroll. As she hides near his locker, she watches him slowly read all of it.....and then flip the scroll as she had written on the entirety of that side as well. After finishing, he pauses and realizes he thinks he missed something and proceeds to re-read all of it. What seems like hours later based on Tenma's frustration, he finally finishes it, thinks for a moment, and says, "how strange. They forgot to put their name on it." Tenma runs away calling herself an idiot.

-Harima decides to quit school (he's kinda a big delinquent) and also confess his feelings. However he gets the resignation letter and the love letter mixed up. Tenma upon receiving the resignation letter begs Harima to stick with it and he agrees. The teacher calls him in and awkwardly says, "um, Harima, about this letter....." Later, Harima tries to ask Tenma out with movie tickets but due to a mix-up he ends up appearing to make the offer to his teacher. Cut to the hilarious image of a big delinquent and a middle-aged male teacher awkwardly watching a movie together.

-my favorite scene of those I can remember. So it's a test day. Harima is gazing affectionately at Tenma but then notices she forgot to put her name on the test. Panicking as that would get her a 0, he realizes he can't just tell her that out loud or the teacher will think he's cheating. First he loudly declares he feels so dumb and nearly forgot to put him name on the test (thinking Tenma will notice her own omission) which causes the teacher to tell him to calm down but Tenma just playfully laughs at him oblivious to her own mistake. So then he tosses a note on the ground for her but it lands closer to the guy on his right who picks up the note saying, "you forgot to put your name on the test." This guy ALSO had forgotten to do that, he then writes his name and turns around and thanks Harima and Harima punches him and the guy is so confused about what just happened. Finally Harima realizes he can put Tenma's name on his test and while that means he'll get a 0 he's willing to do that for the girl he loves. The next day, the teacher criticizes Harima for apparently not turning in the test and gives him a 0 but Harima is just happy Tenma will succeed. Then the teacher turns to Tenma and says she managed to get a 0 by getting every single answer wrong and Harima begins tearing up remembering, "oh right, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to tests!"

School Rumble did it a lot lot better because their misunderstandings are actually funny and well written. In Gamers! every problem in the ENTIRE SHOW would be fixed if Uehara and his girlfriend actually talked to each other at all. It's written SO BADLY. Episode 8 was legitimately hilarious when they were playing the board game. The show had good moments, I don't deny that at all. It just really really failed in how it tried to set up the drama and comedy surrounding it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That is a movie and not anime. It was produced by the Spy Kids guy wasn't it? Might as well call that abomination of a film ghost in the shell anime and just not a movie based on a japanese comic. So I say to you

Jcm8ffP.jpg

dRxPwya.jpg

hecatomb

Banned
its based on the anime/manga. Im not going to watch it in theaters, but I just wait till it comes on video. Also ghost in the shell didn't get good reviews, battle angel is getting good reviews.

Last edited:

manfestival

Just watched the first episode of Promised Neverland. I never read the manga but I totally dug it. I am hitting play on episode 2 on hulu right now but it will suck to have to wait for more. I usually dont even bother with shows like this but the twist is pretty legit.

bigedole

Just watched the first episode of Promised Neverland. I never read the manga but I totally dug it. I am hitting play on episode 2 on hulu right now but it will suck to have to wait for more. I usually dont even bother with shows like this but the twist is pretty legit.

It's on my to-watch list, but my bar for watching episodes weekly is super high :p The only series I've ever watched weekly religiously was AoT, everything else I'll wait until the season ends and watch 4-5 episodes a night.

petran79

Banned
That is a movie and not anime. It was produced by the Spy Kids guy wasn't it? Might as well call that abomination of a film ghost in the shell anime and just not a movie based on a japanese comic. So I say to you

Gits movie also had not much to do with the philosophy of the original source material. Probably the same will happen with Battle Angel.

hecatomb

Banned
Gits movie also had not much to do with the philosophy of the original source material. Probably the same will happen with Battle Angel.
The people who actually watched it, its actually more based on the manga, then the anime, I might have to read the manga again since its been years. I mean if the people read the manga liked it and gave it good reviews then thats saying something.

Last edited:

Labolas

I have a few manga recommendations:

BABY.
So I finally found a manga or manhua to be precise that has a cool female that wasn't a moe high school character and was a policewoman who knows how to handle herself. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where machine life known as BABY infected humans and has driven humans to the brink of extinction. So... that's the basic setup for the story. The art is pretty good. The comic itself has a 90's manga/western feel to it at least to me. The story is decent but it does require some leaps in logic. I read this over the weekend, so it's a short read. Overall though if you want a cool feminine heroine then I would recommend this for sure.
BABY_web_10-723x1024.jpg

Out
Is your typical delinquent manga but it has the delinquent character trying a get fresh start with his aunt and uncle. Fresh out of juvie, he finds himself in the same situation as before. Out of the three this probably the one I spent the least amount of time reading. But I found what I read was pretty good. Tatsuya befriends a lil' pup so he gets kudo points for that. The comedy works as well. And he also doesn't seem like an invincible character who never loses as indicated in his backstory where he lost more fights than won. Give this a shot as well.
12.jpg

Origin
From the creator of Sun Rock Ken, it's an action manga about androids hiding the fact that they're androids from humans. This by far has the best art and action out of the three. Very dynamic and hard hitting. Imo this author's best seinen work since Sun Rock Ken. The ways androids trying and how to hide among humans is interesting. So yeah this is worth reading just for the art and action alone.
9.jpg

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The people who actually watched it, its actually more based on the manga, then the anime, I might have to read the manga again since its been years. I mean if the people read the manga liked it and gave it good reviews then thats saying something.
Kusanagi has always been cold and Johanson was very emotional...idk why manga people like it because of that. Or the "OMG it referenced the manga" vs it actually playing as the manga. TBF I don't like GITS but appreciate its concept so maybe that is why I don't see much value in the hollywood adaptation. Or basically anything movie related.

Eh

Last edited by a moderator:

hecatomb

Banned
I don't know why you are bring up ghost in the shell, when I was talking about battle angel getting good reviews?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My mistake I thought you were talking about GiTS since his quote mentioned it and what you wrote also applied to my comment.

Sakura

Currently watching Gundam Build Divers because I liked the other series, but the VR world doesn't make any sense. It's VR but they act like people can actually get hurt, but don't ever explain if that is possible, and there are people just straight up hacking and the devs don't do anything about it.

Shouta

The first Build Fighters is the best show in that sub-series though it still has problems. It really feels like they don't know how to capture the magic of the original.

Top Bottom