• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Verdanth

Case 1 is up already

What? Where?

original.gif

Last edited:

Hellblueboy

I'm so tired of the Iseikai harem anime.
Like, how many of these anime they can produce?
They are all the same, OP self-insert mc, flock of girl who are in love with mc with no reason.

I am just starting to watch some anime. I’ve only watched Evangelion in the past.

I just finished Fate/Zero and loved it. I am reading Fate/Stay Night visual novel now. Almost done the first route. It’s good but a bit of a slog at points. They could have trimmed some stuff down easily. I will continue on.

I’m also reading Berserk as my first manga.

Does anyone have any anime or manga recommendations that may be similiar in tone to those two. I like the more serious and darker stuff rather then the goofy stuff you see in a lot of anime.

My manga trinity is nausicaa, battle angel alita, and berserk.
They live out of these anime’s. It’ll never stop
Isekai is one of the best stuff ever, OP characters are the best.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I need to check out what shows are going on this season... it feels kinda weird not following/watching any shows at the moment. The next thing I'm looking forward to is Sword Art Online: Alicization continuing in October which is quite a ways away. Maybe I'll finally check out that goblin show that was popular.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I am just starting to watch some anime. I’ve only watched Evangelion in the past.

I just finished Fate/Zero and loved it. I am reading Fate/Stay Night visual novel now. Almost done the first route. It’s good but a bit of a slog at points. They could have trimmed some stuff down easily. I will continue on.

Does anyone have any anime or manga recommendations that may be similiar in tone to those two. I like the more serious and darker stuff rather then the goofy stuff you see in a lot of anime.
Read Bokurano.

Watch Now and then, here and there, also watch Made in Abyss.

Watch anything written by Urobuchi and play Saya no Uta. Congrats you have completed the dark and edgy passage of Japanese fiction.

The VN is slow, but it always pays off. If you like the more darker stuff, then once you're on the third route (Heaven's Feel) you'll find all the dark you want. The VN is a bit slow because it has the more slice of life like sections, often to balance things out and also to give the impression of all the days passing during the HGW.
Oh, and related Fate-stuff that are dark that you might like to watch: Kara no Kyoukai movies. They are connected in terms of being in the same multiverse. In the same you also have a Visual Novel series as well, Tsukihime (vampires in this one). Oh, and you also have the Light Novels/manga Fate Strange/Fake as well.

I'd recommend the Overlord Light Novels. It's a easy read and does a good balancing of seriousness and comedy. There's a manga as well (and an anime too, but it butchers season 3), but VN gives the best mood imo.

VDiuLag.jpg

90d8f49a75d7fe822654a6d38220ba3d.jpg

You might also like Hellsing Ultimate anime or the Hellsing manga.

hellsing-ultimate-featured.jpg

Or Liar Game manga or Kaiji Ultimate Survivor anime, if you like dark gambling stories.

If you like horror then you have Junji Ito mangas, especially Uzumaki. There is also an anime called Another you might like then.

There's also various others, like Devilman: Crybaby, Hunter x Hunter, Madoka Magica, Monster, Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul, Death Note, Steins;Gate, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Parasyte, that are serious and fittingly dark.

Mista

Banned
People should just read the manga instead. That shit was so rushed and ugly and randomly censored.
SPOT. ON. The anime is g a r b a g e. So random to the point you don’t know what the fuck is going on. I have yet to understand the praise and hype for this pile of rubbish

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They took out a quite a few points and character motivations from manga in the netflix adaptation and added that character jobber tits chan/reporter dude instead. They could have made it 12 episodes and it could have had a direct adaptation of the entire manga but did this shit instead. Not that Devilman ever made sense anyway. Basically god is pissed Satan rebelled for literally no reason because "demons are your creation as well". Yet he hates humans, got frozen with the demons and is forced to understand what love is every time before god resets the world after everything is made to suffer because he is a dick as well.

God Enel

Anyone know any good websites where I can buy nice shirts (except redbubble and teepublic) with anime-manga nerd shit on it? I'd like to take a look. Need a new one piece shirt for the gym lol

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece shirts? Everywhere? I don't think there is a more mainstream anime than it outside Dragon Ball. Try Amazon, Hot Topic, Amiami?

Mista

Banned
Anyone know any good websites where I can buy nice shirts (except redbubble and teepublic) with anime-manga nerd shit on it? I'd like to take a look. Need a new one piece shirt for the gym lol
Although Redbubble and Amazon been great to me, check this one out too

Barnabot

To those who started watching One Punch Man season 2. Is the animation real bad compared to the first season? Or was it just the trailers?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
To those who started watching One Punch Man season 2. Is the animation real bad compared to the first season? Or was it just the trailers?
It is JC Staff's latest slideshow. I think Danmachi is their only show that has ok-ish animation.

God Enel

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
No one is watching it and while it's "animated" they skip over things constantly in order to avoid actually animating anything with consistent movement for more than like 3 seconds.

Just watch Mob Psycho One Hunna S2 instead.

Doom85

I enjoyed Drifters and Re:Zero a lot

Haven't seen Drifters yet, but I loved Re:Zero, can't wait for Season 2. It took the "OP main character" problem and fixed it by completely reversing it, sure Subaru can't permanently die (at least as far as we know) but he has to rely a ton on others to overcome the obstacles he faces and you know, dying isn't exactly a fun process.

I actually just got the Nendoroid figure of Beatrice and she's awesome, she's sitting on a chair with a book in her hands, a stack of books on the floor next to Puck, and a frown on her face. It's like Subaru just walked in and disturbed her. Also in my order I got the Nendoroid of Sora from No Game, No Life (so finally my Shiro Nendoroid isn't alone) and Nendoroid of Nadeshiko from Laid-back Camp (haven't actually watched the anime yet, but I've read some of the manga and it's just a nice, relaxing slice-of-life read).

Sakura

Doom85 Doom85

Are you watching Isekai Quartet? Beato is in it.
I wish it wasn't a short series. You have too many characters trying to get screen time in a single 12 minute episode. Then consider the show for some reason has a regular episode's length OP and ED and you really only have like 9 minutes of actual anime time. After 3 episodes it still feels like it is just introducing the characters.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Watched the Cosmic Fantasy OVA the other day and it was a reasonably fun ride. Left me wishing more of the games were available in the West, even if only as fan translations, but it was a PC Engine CD series, so a big part of me knows that was never going to happen.

John Blade

Watched the Cosmic Fantasy OVA the other day and it was a reasonably fun ride. Left me wishing more of the games were available in the West, even if only as fan translations, but it was a PC Engine CD series, so a big part of me knows that was never going to happen.

Well, didn't have high exception if the game came from PC Engine CD. As for another anime, I would throw in Dragon Half which is based on the manga but also have game release for this manga. A very fun OVA and short to the point. I have a feeling you might like it if you're into old obscure anime.

A trivia, the producer of Cosmic Fantasy is Tokuma Shoten which is well known for Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, some of the early Studio Ghibli movie, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Arata Naru Tatakai no Overture, Tenshi no Tamago, etc. Kinda interesting.

As for me, I am currently watching Ikoku Meiro no Croisée The Animation and Phantom Memory Kurau (on and off).

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Well, didn't have high exception if the game came from PC Engine CD. As for another anime, I would throw in Dragon Half which is based on the manga but also have game release for this manga. A very fun OVA and short to the point. I have a feeling you might like it if you're into old obscure anime.

A trivia, the producer of Cosmic Fantasy is Tokuma Shoten which is well known for Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, some of the early Studio Ghibli movie, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Arata Naru Tatakai no Overture, Tenshi no Tamago, etc. Kinda interesting.

As for me, I am currently watching Ikoku Meiro no Croisée The Animation and Phantom Memory Kurau (on and off).

Dragon Half has been on my to-watch list for a while now. I'll probably get to it after I finish re-watching Dominion Tank Police. I really like the environments and characters in those OVAs. Easily one of my favorite series of the late 80s / early 90s.

It's fun researching who was involved with various retro anime and seeing who did what, then realizing they went on to do a bunch of popular stuff in later years.

John Blade

Dragon Half has been on my to-watch list for a while now. I'll probably get to it after I finish re-watching Dominion Tank Police. I really like the environments and characters in those OVAs. Easily one of my favorite series of the late 80s / early 90s.

It's fun researching who was involved with various retro anime and seeing who did what, then realizing they went on to do a bunch of popular stuff in later years.

Love Dominion Tank Police for what it's and if you love it, go watch New Dominion Tank Police. A bit different from the original mostly come down to the serious tone but still a fun show. Also, one of the better OVA from the creator work (if you stick with very short OVA). Would recommend to look into Black Magic M-66 (not bad) or kinda in the same timeline of Dominion , TANK S.W.A.T. 01.

Doom85

Doom85 Doom85

Are you watching Isekai Quartet? Beato is in it.

I might eventually, but I've heard the jokes work better if you've seen all 4 series. I've seen all of Re:Zero, like five episodes of Konosuba (it was good, just didn't get back to it yet), and I admit I wasn't really interested in either Overlord or Tanya.

Lucumo

Fate/Zero the anime or the LN? The latter is definitely better and has some stuff that gets omitted in the anime. Fate/stay night is pretty good, the routes get better, so you are in a for a treat, as was already mentioned. After that, continue with Tsukihime. It's an earlier work and has its advantages and disadvantages. Go for the Kara no Kyoukai movies afterwards (haven't read the LN yet, despite owning it), as they are pretty good and complete the third part of the Nasuverse.
(Read all the routes by the way, it's pretty pointless to go for an anime instead.)

Apart from that, as was mentioned by GreatCharleston, go with Bokurano. No idea about the manga there but the anime is definitely worthwhile watching. As for Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku, I wasn't too much of a fan of that. Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuioku-hen is extremely good (my favorite anime, personally) but it's likely better after watching the main series which is ok (and a shounen rather than seinen series). Monster is pretty dark in a sense. Shigurui is dark, although more in a brutal sense. It's somewhat artsy and it's unfortunate that it only adapted a bit of the manga (which I haven't read). There is more stuff, like Texhnolyze but I don't want to list all the dark anime here.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Fate/Zero the anime or the LN? The latter is definitely better and has some stuff that gets omitted in the anime. Fate/stay night is pretty good, the routes get better, so you are in a for a treat, as was already mentioned. After that, continue with Tsukihime. It's an earlier work and has its advantages and disadvantages. Go for the Kara no Kyoukai movies afterwards (haven't read the LN yet, despite owning it), as they are pretty good and complete the third part of the Nasuverse.
(Read all the routes by the way, it's pretty pointless to go for an anime instead.)

Apart from that, as was mentioned by GreatCharleston, go with Bokurano. No idea about the manga there but the anime is definitely worthwhile watching. As for Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku, I wasn't too much of a fan of that. Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuioku-hen is extremely good (my favorite anime, personally) but it's likely better after watching the main series which is ok (and a shounen rather than seinen series). Monster is pretty dark in a sense. Shigurui is dark, although more in a brutal sense. It's somewhat artsy and it's unfortunate that it only adapted a bit of the manga (which I haven't read). There is more stuff, like Texhnolyze but I don't want to list all the dark anime here.

What is LN?

While I finished Goblin Slayer. The show really did a whole lot of nothing. It was interesting to watch but the show lacked any depth at all.

Shield Hero on the other hand is very entertaining. I am glad that I was told to give it a chance. I only noticed the show on some popular list but was not entirely sure of the appeal. Caught up on the show during the weekend.
I'm of the same opinion that Shield Hero is the better show. The character development in Goblin Slayer is limited to him and Priestess. High Elf gets a little bit of development, but otherwise, the rest of the party remains static. Shield Hero does a better job going more in depth with Naofumi and his party's character development.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
n12.png

n18.png

How did this masterpiece ever get cancelled?
I wish to see Dorohedoro anime adaptation one day...
You know we might get it this year right? Expect CGI though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucumo

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on how you define "based off", I guess. It's a prequel to Fate/stay night after all, written by a different person. (As an aside, the eroge part in F/SN is hardly there, even though it's more noticable in the structure.)
It was made a year later wasn't it? Either way it all goes back to the origin. That being said I love Carnival Phantasm.

Lucumo

It was made a year later wasn't it? Either way it all goes back to the origin. That being said I love Carnival Phantasm.
It started releasing like two years later and took two years to be finished. Never watched Carnival Phantasm (despite Melty Blood being included in one of the limited BDs), as I'm not too fond of comedies (with very limited exceptions, one of which was posted on this page even).

Top Bottom