• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It started releasing like two years later and took two years to be finished. Never watched Carnival Phantasm (despite Melty Blood being included in one of the limited BDs), as I'm not too fond of comedies (with very limited exceptions, one of which was posted on this page even).
It is ironically the best thing Fate related to date. Next being the psp games imo.

Mista

Banned
Anyone excited for this, the manga is so good:

Hell to the fuck yeah! One of my all time favourite mangas. Of course Berserk is at the top for me but Vinland Saga is there for me with Vagabond, One Piece and the other masterpieces in my life

Last edited:

Lucumo

It is ironically the best thing Fate related to date. Next being the psp games imo.
Ehhh...debatable. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on the quality but in general, it always depends on your preferences. When it comes to anime, I like the KnK movies the most but I haven't watched the recent adaptations after the disappointment that was the UBW movie. For manga...no idea, haven't read any. Fate/Zero when it comes to LN (and like I said, it's better than the anime series). For VNs, it's either Tsukihime or F/SN. I like the Tsukihime part of the Nasuverse more but F/SN is more polished...but on the other hand, Tsukihime has that "rough diamond" charm. Hollow ataraxia falls a bit short in my opinion. And when it comes to games with gameplay, I like BMW the most...then again, I'm a sucker for tactical games, especially of the SRT type.
Well, I used to be a huge T-M fan until they started whoring out their IP and showed off the Tsukihime remake designs :p

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Tsukihime is superior to Fate. It doesn't have Shirou making it 10x better.

Lucumo

Depends on how you look at it, I guess. After all, it's not for nothing that he is like he is and the UBW route did well showing off his character below the surface. And compared to Shiki, he is far more burdened. But well, I also didn't have any issues with Shinji in NGE, as I prefer the realism.

Arcuied is best waifu.
Too bad she is the one with the worst changes to her. I really liked her original look.

kiiltz

I haven't been watching much this season because Australian streaming sites suck and don't have everything and also because Australian government sucks so the usual means is dekinai.

I got a vpn now tho so maybe ill do better.

Mista

Banned
I haven't been watching much this season because Australian streaming sites suck and don't have everything and also because Australian government sucks so the usual means is dekinai.

I got a vpn now tho so maybe ill do better.
Hey, thanks for joining us. You don't have to stream when you can get the T ;)

kiiltz

Thanks for welcoming me. I should warn you tho, I have it on good authority that I have shit taste.

Watching Bocchi, Yaiba and Fruit Baskets: Brotherhood atm. I should probably pick up Senko-san and Sensei, and am definitely going to watch Senryuu Shoujo. Also interested in Carole & Tuesday but still confused that Bones are doing it and not PA Works???

Last edited:

Ribi

Should I bother finishing Tokyo Ghoul? Made it through half of the final season so I feel im past the WORST of it but idk if it somehow gets even worse towards the ending i might not bother.

Fbh

Anyone excited for this, the manga is so good:

Looking great, thankfully it seems it will be getting the animation it deserves.

The manga is good but ever since The time skip where Thorfinn becomes Viking Jesus it has gotten less interesting. And the monthly releases combined with short length of chapters (often shorter than the usual weekly manga) make the pacing REALLY slow

Also Askeladd was the best character :(

Last edited:
Apparently, the Shield Hero subbers have embraced the KFC meme, lol.
CAkXJR3.png

Mista

Banned
Thanks for welcoming me. I should warn you tho, I have it on good authority that I have shit taste.

Watching Bocchi, Yaiba and Fruit Baskets: Brotherhood atm. I should probably pick up Senko-san and Sensei, and am definitely going to watch Senryuu Shoujo. Also interested in Carole & Tuesday but still confused that Bones are doing it and not PA Works???
The different anime’s you just wrote is scary...No hentai too xD ?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Looking great, thankfully it seems it will be getting the animation it deserves.

The manga is good but ever since The time skip where Thorfinn becomes Viking Jesus it has gotten less interesting. And the monthly releases combined with short length of chapters (often shorter than the usual weekly manga) make the pacing REALLY slow

Also Askeladd was the best character :(
That's about the time I dropped it myself.

Depends on how you look at it, I guess. After all, it's not for nothing that he is like he is and the UBW route did well showing off his character below the surface. And compared to Shiki, he is far more burdened. But well, I also didn't have any issues with Shinji in NGE, as I prefer the realism.

Shiki is the more likable character, but he's also much less of an interesting character than Shirou. Shirou's struggle with his trauma and guilt, his fake ideals, his mimicry, his approach to the problems with each route, makes him just a more interesting character. That's my take at least. Tsukihime is awesome though, though that Tsukihime Remake will be coming out in 2120.

Lucumo

Shiki is the more likable character, but he's also much less of an interesting character than Shirou. Shirou's struggle with his trauma and guilt, his fake ideals, his mimicry, his approach to the problems with each route, makes him just a more interesting character. That's my take at least. Tsukihime is awesome though, though that Tsukihime Remake will be coming out in 2120.
Is it fake ideals though? It's been forever since I played the VN but I do remember him pushing his ideals through (you know which confrontation I'm talking about). If it comes out then, that's good enough for me. I'm not too interested in a Sacchin route anyway and ultimately, I prefer the F/SN type over the typical harem in Tsukihime. But who knows whether they will release a proper VN again. After all, it's already been seven years since the last one and they are raking in all the money from other stuff which is, very often, not good.

n12.png

n18.png

How did this masterpiece ever get cancelled?

You know we might get it this year right? Expect CGI though.

I had a lot of fun watching the Keijo anime.

I think the reason it failed though was because the comedy kinda made the fanservice more funny than sexy but it was still too sexy for those not looking for a fanservice anime, making it a weird neither fish or fowl deal.

But I found it both funny and sexy.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sensei is smut but that is it. I saw nothing wrong with his post.

kiiltz

Sensei manga was really amusing but isn't there only like 4 chapters? Now that I think about it, that's probably all that's been translated. Was kind of surprised an anime got announced.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sensei manga was really amusing but isn't there only like 4 chapters? Now that I think about it, that's probably all that's been translated. Was kind of surprised an anime got announced.
43 chapters translated so far. Also something being translated doesn't affect what studios decide to pick lol.
actually nevermind the censoring is terrible

ill wait for the BD's
:/

Last edited by a moderator:

kiiltz

Also something being translated doesn't affect what studios decide to pick lol.
Oh, that's not what I meant. At the time I read it there was only 4 chapters and for some reason I was under the impression that it was completed (I suck at keeping up with ongoing manga) and so that's why I was surprised.

petran79

Banned
I am reading Wandering Son. I remember when I read A Silent Voice, the school atmosphere due to the bullying made the manga very tense and gut wrenching to read, especially the first volumes.

here the approach is not pleasant either. There is also bullying and discrimination involved but it is always put into context of a longer maturing and tumultuous process instead of just shock value. In this case the author does a much better job in exploring all the involved characters, respecting and without victimising them like in A Silent Voice. Volume length also matters since it is over 15 volumes and is not limited to just 1 school year.

I really like the approach, considering it is about elementary and middle school students.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This week in JoJo!

Italian kids see a kid with pink hair
Don't instantly stomp him to death

John Blade

IMC_01_KEY_1200x450.jpg

Synopsis
The story takes place in the second half of the 19th century, as Japanese culture gains popularity in the West. A young Japanese girl, Yune, accompanies a French traveler, Oscar, on his journey back to France, and offers to help at the family's ironwork shop in Paris. Oscar's nephew and shop-owner Claude reluctantly accepts to take care of Yune, and we learn how those two, who have so little in common, get to understand each other and live together in the Paris of the 1800s.

Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth is an animated show which is based on the manga based on the same name. The story is about a young Japanese girl adapting to life in the boisterous city of Paris in the second half of the 19th century. The story of this show started slow at the beginning as you're introduced to Yune and how she was trying to adjusting to life in Paris and her new sponsor family. At first, she wasn't used to living the life of a Parisian but as time pass in the show, she stated to accept and adapt to her new surroundings. In turn, the other Parisians also got to know her better and they started to accept her unique difference into their family. You notice this when she tried to interact with the people in the first and last episodes of the show. Yune was able to enjoy her new life with the help of other residents which is very heartwarming to see how she came to the country empty handed but ended being so deeply cared by others.

Once you pass around 60% of the show, the story started to pick up the pace and tied up all the loose ends, making the series much more enjoyable to watch. You started to found out more of the other characters in the show and their past. You also know a bit more of Yune older sister near the end which help develop a bit more of her personality. As for the other characters in the show, it's kinda a mix result. They're not as developed as Yuna and not as interesting in the show. Some are kinda generic characters based on their personality. Also, one of the characters arch in the show didn't go anywhere based on what it have been told (you think they might come back together after what happen in the past). Also, the major character who take care of Yuna didn't change too much when you consider what he was in the beginning in the show and at the end (maybe what his expectation of Yuna have change by the end of the show but his personality didn't).

The animation design from the show is decent for the most part and is on par of what you're seeing when the show aired. A lot of CGI work which try to look like normal animation design without too much detail work on the background or character. Most of the work design tend to have a bright color look tone while try to have this old style look based on the building design and how the character dress during the time. As for the music,

Overall, Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth is a decent show to watch. It's basically a slice of life of the 2nd half of the 19th century where you followed the Japanese girl and how she interact with people there (east vs west). If you don't mind this and also some cheesy comedy, the show is worth a check if you never heard of it yet.

tumblr_low4utcSDC1qcsispo4_500.gif
tumblr_omq37yWuKM1w5657yo2_500.gif
dnm0y8.gif

O-N-E

Captain Erwin keeps delivering that sweet SUSUME! juice. No matter how bad the situation looks. AoT has finally arrived.

Man, a month where we get GoT, Veep, Cobra Kai, AoT and OPM2. A golden moment for entertainment.

Last edited:

John Blade

Just finished watching Mobile Police Patlabor 2: The Movie and will post my impression of the movie this week. I would say I can understand why people love this movie over the 1st one as it actually improve quite a bit of stuff. For now, I just finish the serious timeline and now move on to the other timeline (aka: The not so serious timeline).

Shouta

The TV timeline for Patlabor has some seriousness to it but it's just got a lot more fun overall, lol.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

This is the most Japanese thing I've seen since forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

BunzLee

BunzLee BunzLee Where you at. Since I'm going to sleep soon I'll just add the following.

Other things you can look at that involve magic to some degree

Magi - Fantasy Magic shounen surrounding the characters Aladdin, Sinbad, etc.
Merc Storia - A more recent (past year) show that had some fans.
Nanatsu no Taizai (Seven Deadly Sins) - Not to be compared with the full out ecchi show.
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic High School) - Show that literally involves a magic school in a modern world setting, where the main character is the best thing ever with no emotions but the school puts him in a lower grade level due to the way they conduct tests. His sister that is very obsessed with him is in the gifted class of students.

I highly doubt category
Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records (Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor) - A transfer in teacher at a magic school is more than he seems.

There's two anime that came out at the same time that were fairly similar involving magic sword fights at a school.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry (Chivalry of a Failed Knight) - About a guy at a magic combat school where students can materialize weapons. The macin character is rated as having no magic ability and is seen as a failure. In the new semester he is ends up living in a dorm room with a princess from a foreign country (with a nice body).

I oddly enough really liked the opening song. Always got me hyped for the episode to start

the other anime was Gakusen Toshi Asterisk (The Asterisk War) - Main character joins an elite school where students learn to control a power that started appearing in children after a catastrophe. Dueling between students in combat fights is a common occurrence. Main character angers a girl on his first day at the school and is forced into a duel against her. Of the two I liked Chivalry of a Failed Knight better.

You might be interested in Knights & Magic. It's about a programmer in Japan that is a big fan of mechs that dies and gets reincarnated as a child into a magic medieval world that has mechs powered by magic that aren't that advanced. He regains his memory of his old life upon seeing one of the mechs, realizes that the magic in their world follows a lot of the same principles of programming logic, he helps that world advance their magic and mech technology. The most endearing part of it is just how enthusiastic the main character is about the mechs and magic.

There's a lot of manga that would probably go along with your wish of having magic/abilities + overpowered MC + Action.

Hey, sorry for being so late. I was on holiday last week and had no chance of checking back on here. Still, I really appreciate your write up, thanks a lot! That's such a cool summary, looks like I have a ton of new stuff to look into. What have I gotten myself into? :D

Still, after checking all those animes out, the one I was talking about doesn't seem to be in that list. Now I'm so obsessed with finding it, that I have been browsing through the web in search of it for hours. It might be RADIANT. That said, with as much works as I have put in to find it, once I do, it will probably never live up to my expectations. So I'll just start watching some of the ones you have suggested. Magi looks interesting!

Top Bottom