• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't read Golden Kamuy since the anime started. I may need to go back one day. Also Monster Musume got an update!

Mista

Banned
Pretty sure Inoue just doesn't give a shit about Vagabond anymore so I basically don't have any hope of it finishing. But seeing as he's drawing Real again maybe there's a slight chance.
I’m sure he still does. It’s just weird how he abandoned it all of a sudden

kiiltz

Not really. The later chapters are incredibly lazy compared to the early chapters. Even when he switched from a pen to using a brush it was clear the amount of effort that went into it. Farming arc has hardly any inking and basically no tones and is just a whole bunch of strokes on a blank piece of paper (WHICH SUCKS BECAUSE THE FARMING ARC IS PROBABLY THE BEST ARC). Also, and don't quote me on this, but I heard part of the reason he stopped was because he felt he wasn't doing it justice.

In any case, he hasn't acknowledged it on Twitter (at least in the last few years) but milks the fuck out of Slam Dunk with retweets, merch and new volume covers. (In fairness, Slam Dunk is actually good and it did have it's 20th anniversary recently BUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE finish Vagabond already Inoue you cunt, the ending is literally around the corner).

Semi-rant aside I think it's part being burnt out from Slam Dunk/working on both Real and Vagabond at the same time, part he doesn't care anymore. But like I said, if he's working on Real again, then there's the slight glimmer of hope he could go back to Vagabond.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha wrong series I was thinking of Vinland. I need to sleep 12 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shouta

Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

VBLQqoq.jpg

I've been into isekai series the last few years. It's been mostly been manga versions though as I usually have issues with the aspects of the light novel versions, depending on series. I've caught a couple of anime though while it's been airing like Overlord and Shield Hero. Some free time opened up for me recently so I wanted to catch up with a few of the isekai anime that I hadn't caught before which lead me to Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu. I've heard of the series, mostly because of the twins, but didn't know what it was about since I hadn't read or watched anything about it.

I ended up binging it yesterday and the best way for me to describe the series without spoiling the actual plot is that it's one of those adventure games with a ton of choices but only one true ending but done in anime form. It gives this series a natural mystery/detective element on top of the adventure and other things. It gives the show a real interesting hook to go along with its generally great world-building and characters. The production is really stellar with some great animation, shot composition, and music. Each of the arcs are pretty interesting and the way it unfolds really builds the characters while remaining dramatic.

Relative to other isekai series, the two things that really stand out about it for me is how natural the world-building is and how much attention the series pays to keeping the viewer engaged on whichever level they're watching it on. Smooth world-building is a often big issue with a lot of isekai series, IMO. It's a real shame as isekai, as a premise, facilities this really well. Not taking and advantage of it is such a waste of potential. Re:Zero manages to keep that in mind though and we very rarely are info-dumped on at all. There are various points where Subaru, the main character has to learn something to help with his current objective and we get to learn of the world as a result. One example is him learning to read and write enough to go over a book of children's Fairy Tales. We're given a bit of backstory to world when he's finally able to read it himself and then asks about it. It's really organic how it comes about. It gives us a few levels to be engaged in which is my second point. The series really gives the casual watcher a lot to chew on but for folks that like to dive into the details, foreshadowing, minor relationships, etc it does a stellar job of dangling that stuff all over the place as well.

Re:Zero does have a few problems though. I feel that the writing, while strong, has a several issues that crop up. One is that some of the character development is kind of ham-fisted. This is particularly notable in the middle of the 3rd arc where it feels like any sort of development that was made by the character in question gets undermined to get a message across. The message itself is kind of preachy and a bit insulting considering what the character has gone through already. It also does a poor job of progressing the character as a factor in this world. It's like he doesn't learn anything, suffers a ton, and then BAM is able to solve it all at once when there should have been more of a process in place. Also, I feel like the thing that's keeping him hush about his situation and how it affects how things handled tends to be frustrating. The author doesn't seem to have really about what implications it has and it just really adds to the problem I had above. If used more properly, it would be so much interesting. There's a bit of that towards the end of the series but there's a lot more that could be done to add a lot more to the scenarios. There are a couple of other things as well but it kind of goes into the nitpick territory.

Overall though, I really liked it and I'm looking forward to the upcoming season.

Last edited:

Doom85

I admit, I ignore most isekai because I just don't need that many of them to exist but I do enjoy the ones that stand out to me. No Game No Life is excellent due to the extremely fun to watch duo of protagonists and the unique games they play. I didn't get far into Konosuba (but do mean to pick it up again eventually) but I liked how the characters were all basically idiots and how often they screwed things up.

Re:Zero stands out as easily my favorite one due to the darker story, a MC who is not only not OP but easily the weakest among the main cast in terms of fighting and magic, explorations of psychological effects caused by time loops (studio White Fox being no stranger to this sort of story since they also did Steins Gate, in fact Subaru shares a good deal in common with Okabe), a lack of any harem (since only Rem shows love for him by the end of S1 and Emilia is still sorting out her feelings. There's no evidence that Ram, Beatrice, or Felt are interested in him, and Crusch merely said she could see herself feeling affection for him if she weren't focused on winning the election), etc.

I personally disagree regarding the middle of the 3rd arc, in fact episode 18 is easily my favorite episode. I think it shows that sometimes even people who do selfless things may not actually be as selfless as they first appear and it made sense given what we knew about him before the start of the series, that sort of person just doesn't make sense to be a completely selfless person so when he shows a sense of entitlement earlier it doesn't feel out of nowhere to me. The fact that they spend the whole episode addressing his shortcomings and how to mature was impressive to me (in fact, I read that the director managed to convince the TV network to allow the episode to be about 1.5 minutes longer so they could cut as little as possible from the light novel as he knew how important this episode was and wanted to do it right). But hey, YMMV.

Shouta

I personally disagree regarding the middle of the 3rd arc, in fact episode 18 is easily my favorite episode. I think it shows that sometimes even people who do selfless things may not actually be as selfless as they first appear and it made sense given what we knew about him before the start of the series, that sort of person just doesn't make sense to be a completely selfless person so when he shows a sense of entitlement earlier it doesn't feel out of nowhere to me. The fact that they spend the whole episode addressing his shortcomings and how to mature was impressive to me (in fact, I read that the director managed to convince the TV network to allow the episode to be about 1.5 minutes longer so they could cut as little as possible from the light novel as he knew how important this episode was and wanted to do it right). But hey, YMMV.

I don't have an issue with the message itself nor for Subaru as a character. I agree with you that it makes sense for him. However, I really find the lead up and the way the message is conveyed to be really poor. Subaru is like "I couldn't do anything, I'm worthless, useless" and I'm sitting there thinking, "Motherfucker, what?" The dude has learned and seen so much in previous arcs but then it just gets totally ignored to set-up everything that occurs rather than make a scenario where it incorporates his growth then leads him down that way. The fact he saved a village and multiple important people doesn't come up when his worth is questioned, externally or internally, for example. He had to get more information and figure out what was going in the previous arc to resolve what occurred but he doesn't do that in 3rd arc until after ep 18. There's no attempt to actually explain anything at all whether it be the details or his own emotions either. There's just this stunning lack of nuance about the entire situation when the show was really good about it prior. It transfers over to the message because it becomes this weird mixed messaged that feels more condemnation of people that aren't able to get results rather than a message about pride getting in the way.

Based off some of the hints they gave later on, I can see what they were trying to do for him especially if it turns out to be true later into the series but they really didn't need to drive things off a cliff to make that point.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though as most of isekai have these kinds of consistency issue around this time into their runs.

Last edited:

kiiltz

z13.png

*kyun*

I'll be damned, there is someone in Japan who actually knows how to write romance.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
z13.png

*kyun*

I'll be damned, there is someone in Japan who actually knows how to write romance.
Spoiler is empty/doesn't load from mobile lol. Manga is fine, the artstyle is the best it has going for it honestly. The new loli adds nothing to the story. This chapter seemed like it skipped the events from the previous chapter as well?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Re:Zero stands out as easily my favorite one due to the darker story, a MC who is not only not OP
Not being able to die because a witch keeps rewinding time for you seems pretty OP to me. There is no risk outside how much it hurts to die. Playing with people as if it were loading a savefile seems broken as well.

kiiltz

That's what I get for hot linking straight to MD.
h4A3ymo.png

The development between them is good and goes hand in hand with the plot rather than taking a backseat like it typically does. Mangaka doesn't pussyfoot around it when it has it's moments and we actually see them discover and become attracted to their respective small quirks (pic related) as opposed to the usual "oh we've hung out together for a while now so I like you i guess".

The introduction of the loli makes me think publication is trying to push for a harem possibility which can fuck right off. I think the jump from the previous chapter was to assert the current direction so I hope it means the loli maintains the role of the gyarus frenemey.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But she only falls for him after he calls her pretty after they hung out for like a month. It is totally generic outside the MC and girl being likeable.

I think the loli will stay yuri with the tall middleschooler though. If anything he'll get more girls to make clothes for and then come to realize real women are dolls or some bullshit. Maybe I've just read to many romance manga to date or something. Either way I'm glad somebody is translating this.

q4DytEl.png

The image you posted needs context. The dude never calls something pretty because it is a word he takes seriously and to heart and it is related to his passion in life which is making dolls. When he called the ocean pretty he compared it to her and she was already in her weird gyaru lovey dovey mood. Man is smooth without knowing it.

kiiltz

But she only falls for him after he calls her pretty after they hung out for like a month. It is totally generic outside the MC and girl being likeable.
It's not quite as simple as that when it comes to romance because the devil is in the details. Unfortunately manga, or basically anything written by the nips, always seem to get the details wrong. Kitagawa doesn't just fall for Gojou after he calls her pretty. There's build up to that, like her admiration for his work ethic, his innocent love for his hobby/goals and his thoughtfulness and consideration towards her being.

The fact that the image needs context is what makes it so great because it's evidence that the groundwork has been laid out for them to get that far. Previously, there was a flashback. Now, it isn't needed and the reader intuitively knows why she's reacting that way. It's not because of what he said but because of his ethos and what it means to him (essentially, it shows her understanding him as a person and through that falling in love with him). More importantly, these events are happening organically via them learning more about each other as they go along. In contrast, most authors need to either think up a situation to force their character to fall for the other or have one already in love while the other is completely oblivious (which inevitablely turns into a shitty nip version of "will they/won't they").

So in lieu of that it's completely fine for it to be generic. In fact, most romance tends to be, especially the good ones. Pride and Prejudice, Gatsby, Titanic, Notebook, basically any Meg Ryan movie. All of them were generic as fuck on paper.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So in lieu of that it's completely fine for it to be generic. In fact, most romance tends to be, especially the good ones. Pride and Prejudice, Gatsby, Titanic, Notebook, basically any Meg Ryan movie. All of them were generic as fuck on paper.
Meg Ryan? Are you a girl? Anyway all of these are terrible and I can't believe they are considered to be romantic. In fact I can't think of a single movie that has done a romance properly. It is always extremely artificial to me for whatever reason. What did you think of Ookami Shounen wa Kyou or Kumika no Mikaku?

kiiltz

Can't say, haven't read them. Also, you're gonna have to give me more than "extremely artificial for some reason" if we're gonna have a legitimate discussion. And yes, Meg Ryan.

Doom85

Not being able to die because a witch keeps rewinding time for you seems pretty OP to me. There is no risk outside how much it hurts to die. Playing with people as if it were loading a savefile seems broken as well.

Okay, I've been spoiled on this but won't spoil it for you, but let's just say it won't be long into Season 2 before we see a MASSIVE con to his ability.

Also, I think simply saying "dying hurts" is kind of an understatement.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can't say, haven't read them. Also, you're gonna have to give me more than "extremely artificial for some reason" if we're gonna have a legitimate discussion. And yes, Meg Ryan.
The movies seem fake. Even faker than something that is drawn on a piece of paper. I don't know why but that is the case for me.
Okay, I've been spoiled on this but won't spoil it for you, but let's just say it won't be long into Season 2 before we see a MASSIVE con to his ability.

Also, I think simply saying "dying hurts" is kind of an understatement.
I mean no matter what happens his destination won't change.

Sakura

I mean, he is OP in the sense that he himself can't die, but that is it.
I don't really know if it should be spoilers, but just in case (not spoiling any story):
Subaru's power only cares about his own fate. For example, say he finds out his grandma got run over by a car 5 hours ago. So he kills himself to rewind time and save her. But after killing himself, he would just come back to the time right before he died, and his grandma would still be dead.
Or as another example, say in the fight with the assassin chick in the first arc, he lost his leg, but still managed to survive. Because he overcame the scenario, if he kills himself at that point, he can never get his leg back.
So while it is true that if someones goal was to kill Subaru, they would never succeed, I wouldn't necessarily call it OP.

Doom85

Coming in July! Let’s go

D5rJQ9pU0AAkK-C.png:large

Yeah, I just started watching the series for the first time with Set 1 (only on episode 7, had a busy week plus add playing Days Gone and Overwatch) and it's great, already ordered and received Sets 2 and 3. Nice that they're still doing this great LE's, they look so nice.

Mista

Banned
Yeah, I just started watching the series for the first time with Set 1 (only on episode 7, had a busy week plus add playing Days Gone and Overwatch) and it's great, already ordered and received Sets 2 and 3. Nice that they're still doing this great LE's, they look so nice.
Have fun! I love part 4 and it has one of the greatest villains ever in the industry. Finish it then wait for part 5 to finish. JoJo is love, JoJo is life after Berserk of course

Been watching Kono oto Tomare and while it had a slow start, the latest episode was fantastic. The playing animation was done well and it really tugs at the heartstrings.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
A bit late, but got around to watching Pop Team Epic. That show made me laugh more than I thought it would.

Hinako14

Neo Member
2019 Ongoing Anime - Choose What You Like:

1位 KING OF PRISM -Shiny Seven Stars
2位 Kimetsu no Yaiba 鬼滅の刃
3位 Bungo Stray Dogs 文豪ストレイドッグス(第3シーズン)
4位 RobiHachi
5位 Fruits Basket フルーツバスケット
6位 Carole & Tuesday キャロル&チューズデイ
7位 Hitori Bocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu ひとりぼっちの○○生活
8位 Attack on Titan 進撃の巨人 Season 3 Part.2
9位 Isekai Quartet 異世界かるてっと
10位 Sarazanmai さらざんまい
10位 Senryu Girl 川柳少女
10位 Daiya no A Act II 14 ダイヤのA act II

Source from nihofun.com

kiiltz

Don't think I've ever seen Nihofun used as source for ranking. Pretty interesting though. I'm guessing it's a normalfag site? It goes in line with what I imagined the ryuujin nips' taste would be like though it lowkey looks like something the Fujos use. Kinda neat that Bocchi and Senryuu Shoujo are in there as those seem more up 2ch's alley but I guess no can resist Bocchi or Nanako.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Those Wild 7 OVAs from the 90s hold up surprisingly well. I like these a lot more than many of the other ultra violent anime to appear in the direct to video market from that decade.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Those Wild 7 OVAs from the 90s hold up surprisingly well. I like these a lot more than many of the other ultra violent anime to appear in the direct to video market from that decade.
You know I kinda miss ultra violent anime. What I'd give for a Genocyber remake. (3 dollars)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You don't go to JC Staff for quality animation friend.

John Blade

Just watching clips of Gunslinger Girl here and there and listen to the music once more. Love the soundtrack and the show is very depressing when you realize the situations the girls are in.

Top Bottom