• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

John Blade

So, Yom's masterpiece has finally been uploaded to youtube and it's lovely.

mj5xpLG.gif

They isn't a full anime for this right just one quick video from the artist?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
H E L L O

For the betterment of future dialogue improvement and a focus on community engagement, I’m suggesting that with the start of the next anime season that we create a new thread for that season. A new manga only focused thread would then be started. Manga many times will be further along than their adaptions, so I think it would be better to separate the two in general. Thoughts?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is far more relaxed and people can just post whatever they want. I think what you are proposing has been done before and I think the thread was merged in the end? Whatever brings more discussion is good either way!

Ribi

there are no seasons anime is 24/7 365. Seasons are for people who leave thier basement and see what position the earth is relative to the sun. No thanks

Doom85

lol how many seasonal watchers are even here?

I tried, and quickly ran out of steam. I watch what I'm in the mood for, and even if a current season has something I'm interested in I might not feel the need to watch it immediately. Why pressure myself? People throw out "discussion" but I'll talk about any anime I enjoyed no matter how long it's been since I watched it. Can't promise I'll remember everything as time goes on but I'm up for it. That's why I don't get people who just watch new anime and then practically immediately forget about them as the new season starts and don't really care about talking about anything that isn't currently airing. I mean, you do you, but I enjoy reminiscing about many of the series I've seen from the beginning of my fandom roughly in 2008 up to today and I feel many of the devout seasonal watchers barely give much thought to that sort of thing, and I can't help but think that's kinda sad.

Like right now I'm on episode 11 of JoJo's (so ep. 2 of Part 2), and felt like finally giving Dragonball Super a go and am up to episode 4. The only anime so far I've seen from this year is Kaguya-sama: Love is War, I've seen the first 3 episodes and enjoyed them but don't feel the need to rush through it, just if I'm in a strong mood for a laugh I'll start another episode. I do of course want to watch Promised Neverland, Boogiepop Phantom, and Dororo but don't feel like I have to right now. Also I can just wait on Fruits Basket until they can get to material past the first anime (though I will watch all of the reboot from the beginning, just want to see "new" stuff, although sorta not new since I have read the entire manga).

Trojita

The seasonal anime threads still have discussion of older anime as they always have. It's just a way to inform a changing of the season, information and recommendations on new shows, and an OP where you can highlight recommendations from the community.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I can barely balance watching like three currently airing shows and powering through one old show rn. Even if there's not a lot of discussion though it's easier for people to pop in be like "Okay, I'm gonna watch these, thanks to the info." Then jump out.

I'm in favor of this. I've been following seasonal anime for years now, though I'm having trouble catching up with this season (haven't watched an episode of AoT yet).

kiiltz

9zMbdev.jpg

jfc this arcs gone for pretty much 100 chapters. I know ppl projected 2 years and that there was 3 simultaneous battles but holy crap I kind of want it to be over already, especially since I'm 99% certain all the good shit has already passed

also that was pretty disappointing for milestone chapter. I feel like Haras dawdling for time, probably planning shit for the next arc I suppose

Verdanth

Finished watching Netflix's Ultraman. Pretty sweet, really liked it. Animation and action scenes are top notch.

The story is actually good too.

Can't wait for season 2.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I wanna wake up one day with Netflix news saying they’re making a Berserk anime
I wanna wake up one day and get a pm from a friend that tells me the Berserk is getting weekly updates. Since Miura has run out of money and can't spend all day playing Idol games anymore.

Thought he was sick and thats why it was taking so long to finish...

video game addiction is a serious epidemic man! /jk

at least it's some what steadily updating, which is more than I can say about HxH. and anyone know if Nana is EVER going to return at all? I know the artist was hospitalized or something but we didn't hear much from her for a long time and I can really use some closure on the story...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
She's been sick for like 10 years now? When did the anime even air?

Can someone recommend good horrors/thrillers? I'm watching Shiki again after few years break from watching anything and apart from some hillarious character designs I like it as much as I remember liking it back then, haha. Love sound design/music in it.

petran79

Banned
Before Pokemon, before Digimon, before Yugioh all boys in my country watched Jumaru (Plawress Sanshiro) in the early 90s.Series had prepared and inspired to a degree the success of the above series. Not a coincidence that the director of Pokemon worked on that series too. Had caught some episodes back then with those bad, minstranslated and hilarious dubs.

Decided to watch it in Japanese this time. Was never an anime shonen fan but that series is an exception. Very nice animated fights, combining toy robot wrestling and mecha. Technology and computers also matter. Players with more advanced computer and robot models and software have usually an advantage, but the skill and keyboard speed of the user also matters. Feels like a fighting game. Also models AI evolves with each fight. I am at 1/3 in the series currently. Very well produced shonen, unfortunately it wasnt broadcast in many countries to be more popular. It had some very unique ideas for a shonen, considering it was made in 1983-84.

The Jumaru robot is one of the most iconic anime designs ever
More info:

Trojita

If you like big ass anime titties and isekai I recommend reading Shinju no Nectar

R6Nr08h.jpg
0zXR1xq.jpg

It's about a guy that gets transported to a world that is just entering their industrial revolution. It's more interesting than the rest because this world is a little different from the usual fantasy world, the MC uses experiences from working freeter jobs likes construction work to come up with tactical or technological ideas, oh and yeah he's empowered by drinking magical breast milk.

Trojita

For an anime recommendation:

Asobi Asobase (Workshop Of Fun) was a comedy that flew under the radar for a lot of people when it aired in 2018.

SjRRcye.jpg

During recess, Olivia, a foreign transfer student who doesn't know English, plays a game of "look-the-other-way" with Hanako Honda, a loud-mouthed airhead. Their rowdy behavior spurs the ire of Kasumi Nomura, a deadpan loner constantly teased by her older sister for her tendency to lose games. Not willing to compete, Kasumi declines Olivia's offer to join the fun, but eventually gets involved anyway and dispenses her own brand of mischief. Soon, a strange friendship blossoms between the peculiar trio, and they decide to form the "Pastime Club," where they are free to resume their daily hijinks.

Whether it be failing to learn English, trying desperately to become popular, or getting caught by teachers at the wrong time, school life will never be boring when the girls of Asobi Asobase are up to their hilarious antics.

Shorter summary: It's about a trio of girls that create a club about playing past times (think thumb-war, arm wrestling, etc.). And the girls are all hilarious shitheads.

Here's a clip. The pastimer girls forgot to hand in their club submission form to reserve the classroom they are using. The Shogi club did register and wants to use the classroom that the pastimers are currently occupying. The shogi club agreed to do a contest for the rights to use the classroom and being generous they decided that the contest would be decided by a pastimer game.

What game?

Shoe tossing

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I wanna wake up one day and get a pm from a friend that tells me the Berserk is getting weekly updates. Since Miura has run out of money and can't spend all day playing Idol games anymore.
Weekly? Tough. Consistent monthly? Yeah better
Last hiatus was due to Miura's sickness. Not singing along with a bunch of cat cafe maids

Shouta

Dunno what's worse the moe era of the late 2000s or the isekai boom of the late 2010s.

Moe boom of the 2000s. There's a lot of really good/interesting isekai out there that never makes it to anime format. Of the ones that made it to anime, there's only a handful that are really terrible. There's a couple that have had iffy adaptations and there are some that are exceptional.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Asobi Asobase (Workshop Of Fun) was a comedy that flew under the radar for a lot of people when it aired in 2018.

SjRRcye.jpg

Shorter summary: It's about a trio of girls that create a club about playing past times (think thumb-war, arm wrestling, etc.). And the girls are all hilarious shitheads.

Here's a clip. The pastimer girls forgot to hand in their club submission form to reserve the classroom they are using. The Shogi club did register and wants to use the classroom that the pastimers are currently occupying. The shogi club agreed to do a contest for the rights to use the classroom and being generous they decided that the contest would be decided by a pastimer game.

What game?

Shoe tossing

There are plenty of better "cute girls being cute" anime out there. So I can see why people never bothered with this. Kinda how people never bothered with Arthur Million since it looks like shit, is shit but somehow it is also great?

kiiltz

Asobi Asobase was pretty big across the board iirc. Noted for its humour, artstyle and quality voice acting, from newbies no less. It was probably the strongest out of the non-sequel anime from Summer 2018. If anything, it's probably a bit unlucky that it happened to be in the same year as Yuru Camp and Sora Yori.

Sakura

Dunno what's worse the moe era of the late 2000s or the isekai boom of the late 2010s.
Isekai in my opinion. Although isekai has the potential to provide more interesting series, at least as far as anime is concerned, most of what we get are series based on poorly written amateur online novels, that almost always devolve into the same thing.

Asobi Asobase is hilarious. I didn't realise people had skipped out on it. Though I can understand if you just look at the promotional art or the OP, you might think it is about cute girls doing cute things, but it isn't at all. The voice acting is also amazing, specifically Hanako's voice. Personally though I feel it would've worked better if the setting was high school.

Doom85

Isekai has more trash IMHO. Moe at least was often utilized into other genres to make interesting new takes on certain types of stories, like with Higurashi, Madoka Magica, School-Live!, etc. And then there's some moe that are just pretty funny like Lucky Star or Nichijou. There are a few isekai that stand out (Re:Zero, No Game No Life, Konosuba) but too many seem to just want to follow the typical MC gets OP way too quickly while building a harem and so forth.

If we wanna call 2010-2019 an era of something it would be the fan service era.

The isekai boom has been over for 3 years, we are now back to the normal amount of isekai per season (from before SAO) and the endless flow of new isekai manga wanting to be the new SAO has kind of died down as well.
Isekai has more trash IMHO. Moe at least was often utilized into other genres to make interesting new takes on certain types of stories, like with Higurashi, Madoka Magica, School-Live!, etc. And then there's some moe that are just pretty funny like Lucky Star or Nichijou. There are a few isekai that stand out (Re:Zero, No Game No Life, Konosuba) but too many seem to just want to follow the typical MC gets OP way too quickly while building a harem and so forth.
Isekai is more than just "dude gets transported into game world"-power fantasies. There is also isekai like Twelve Kingdoms, Spirited Away, Inuyasha, GATE, Drifters or "reverse isekai" (as in someone gets transported to our world) like Fate, Re:Creators, Gabriel Dropout or Binbogami ga. The SAO-type isekai are actually the minority in this subgenre as a whole.

Doom85

Isekai is more than just "dude gets transported into game world"-power fantasies. There is also isekai like Twelve Kingdoms, Spirited Away, Inuyasha, GATE, Drifters or "reverse isekai" (as in someone gets transported to our world) like Fate, Re:Creators, Gabriel Dropout or Binbogami ga. The SAO-type isekai are actually the minority in this subgenre as a whole.

Well, I was referring to the original question which was referring to isekai in the 2010's so 12 Kingdoms, Spirited Away, and Inuyasha wouldn't qualify. Also, I don't personally consider "reverse-isekai" to be the same thing, a person(s) sent to a world totally different from ours is not the same thing as our world just with a few people from another universe/dimension show up.

And generally in terms of the ones that actually got anime adaptations in the 2010s, the power fantasy types are clearly a massive portion of the ones that got adapted. Like sure, last year we got Reincarnated as a Slime but for the OP fantasy shit we also got that Ragnarok one and there was another one that I don't feel like looking up the title (and lo and behold, there's one this season too!). I mean, geezus christ, there was one isekai recently (think it might be last year) where the gimmick was the lead got sent into another world but he had his smart phone with him EXCEPT this wasn't In Another World With a Smartphone, this was a completely different series that came out afterwards! Like, for fucks sake.

Yes, there were quite a few in the past 2 years, but across this decade they weren't in the majority or even a massive portion, they were about equal...

Since 2010
SAO
Overlord
No Game No Life
Youjo Senki
Mondaiji-tachi title too long
Knight's and Magic
the Smartphone one
Death March something
How NOT to summon a Demon lord
Master of Ragnarok
Kenja no Mago
Slime
and the upcoming Cheat Magician (I assume this has an OP MC).

On the other hand you had
Log Horizon
Outbreak Company
GATE
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
KonoSuba
Re:Zero
Drifters
Shield Hero
and the upcoming Arifureta
and also Slime

That's 13 OP MC shows vs 10 shows that didn't solely focus on the OPness of MC like Log Horizon or Slime, or didn't have one at all and that isn't counting the reverse isekai shows (even though they are isekai and should be included).

The really generic, shitty ones... the bottom of the barrel are even less of an issue. I mean there were only six, maybe seven if you count SAO. The perception of "isekai power fantasy trash is dominating anime" is heavily skewed, because all the shitty ones came out in the past 2 years, but overall it's not that bad if you take a look at which shows came out over the past decade. It's worse if we include manga, though.

Shouta

Not even including Escaflowne. :lollipop_anguish:

No Those Who Hunt Elves or El-Hazard either. :messenger_pensive: Fushigi Yuugi or Rayearth would be good too.

Yes, there were quite a few in the past 2 years, but across this decade they weren't in the majority or even a massive portion, they were about equal...

Since 2010
SAO
Overlord
No Game No Life
Youjo Senki
Mondaiji-tachi title too long
Knight's and Magic
the Smartphone one
Death March something
How NOT to summon a Demon lord
Master of Ragnarok
Kenja no Mago
Slime
and the upcoming Cheat Magician (I assume this has an OP MC).

On the other hand you had
Log Horizon
Outbreak Company
GATE
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
KonoSuba
Re:Zero
Drifters
Shield Hero
and the upcoming Arifureta
and also Slime

That's 13 OP MC shows vs 10 shows that didn't solely focus on the OPness of MC like Log Horizon or Slime, or didn't have one at all and that isn't counting the reverse isekai shows (even though they are isekai and should be included).

The really generic, shitty ones... the bottom of the barrel are even less of an issue. I mean there were only six, maybe seven if you count SAO. The perception of "isekai power fantasy trash is dominating anime" is heavily skewed, because all the shitty ones came out in the past 2 years, but overall it's not that bad if you take a look at which shows came out over the past decade. It's worse if we include manga, though.

The definition of a power fantasy is kinda blurry and we should probably define it to be sure because depending on how you view it, shows like Slime, Death March, and Knight's & Magic wouldn't necessarily be a power fantasy. They have overpowered as hell main characters but the focus of the show isn't to prop up the characters or the audience quite like we commonly see a power fantasy would do.

Arifureta is 100% power fantasy.

I know this list is pretty specific but we also have isekai like Isekai Shokudou which aren't even anywhere near this stuff at all, lol.

Last edited:

Trojita

I'd still probably consider them a power fantasy, especially Death March with that bland as fuck self insert MC.

The definition of a power fantasy is kinda blurry and we should probably define it to be sure because depending on how you view it, shows like Slime, Death March, and Knight's & Magic wouldn't necessarily be a power fantasy. They have overpowered as hell main characters but the focus of the show isn't to prop up the characters or the audience quite like we commonly see a power fantasy would do.

Arifureta is 100% power fantasy.

I know this list is pretty specific but we also have isekai like Isekai Shokudou which aren't even anywhere near this stuff at all, lol.
Yes, of course. In the end it doesn't really matter anyways. My point was that the generic shit tier isn't really what isekai has been all about over this past decade, or that the power fantasies make up the majority of it.

I'm like Trojita anyways, I eat them up like junkfood as well. Even if it is extremely bad.
Not even including Escaflowne. :lollipop_anguish:
No Those Who Hunt Elves or El-Hazard either. :messenger_pensive: Fushigi Yuugi or Rayearth would be good too.
I completely forgot about Escaflowne and I've never seen Fushigi Yuugi and Rayearth. :messenger_savoring:

Shouta

I'd still probably consider them a power fantasy, especially Death March with that bland as fuck self insert MC.

All three shows end up really focusing on things outside of combat/adventure and that's kind of where it starts sliding away from a Power Fantasy for me. Knights & Magic in particular is so focused on the engineering aspect that the show would be interesting without ever having villains. Death March does have a personality-less MC though so I can agree on that. Only interesting thing is that he has a harem but is only interested in older women. 🤔

There are power fantasy isekai in this vein though. For country building, Genjitsushugisha no Oukokusaikenki (現実主義勇者の王国再建記) or How a Realist Rebuild the Kingdom is one. I never thought I'd see a power fantasy in building shit but this series takes the cake as I recall.

Top Bottom