• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Javthusiast

Banned
Watched the firsr episode of Dr. Stone today and ....ehhhh i dunno... just felt lile its going to be like lord of the flies..

Maybe epiaode 2 will interest me more.

It's not lord of the flies. It's about two factions fighting each other I believe, science etc.

What's up with VInland Saga apparently airing the first 3 episodes daily starting today, and the fourth one on july 28th?

Last edited:

manfestival

I am finishing up Dororo episode 9. I think the appeal of this show is that it feels so classic anime. I think I was reading here that this is actually a remake of an older show like shield hero was? That would totally make sense with the style of violence. However, the show is just so good! It took about 5 episodes in for me to finally get the feel of the show. Then episode 6 came in with that big WHOA moment. I love the range of emotions the show puts you through.

Dr Stone - I watched the first episode yesterday. I am intrigued by the premise. However, I am disappointed that it did not take longer for the events in the episode to take place. What I mean is spoiler territory but those that will watch it may understand. I am interested to watch more to see where the show goes. The artwork is also nice to look at so that is a plus.

Mista

Banned
MHA: Heroes Rising movie poster

D-4gIdbWkAE-P_A

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I read the manga for Dr. Stone last year, it's not bad but I really don't like the direction it took. Feels like a passionate idea being forced to go certain directions and manufactured by editors instead of letting the creator do what he wants with it.

Paltheos

Hm, just watched Fruits Basket (2019) 14.

I like most of what this adaptation's done in comparison to the '00s TV series, but this is one episode I think the original landed much better (and I was a little afraid of this too since it's one of my favorites). That episode in the original is structured around the pain of memory and climaxes with Momiji's backstory. It ends on a bittersweet but uplifting message about staying strong to hold onto your toughest memories. In the new series... it's like another plot point hit upon.

Yup. I went back and rewatched the equivalent episode in the old series (15). There's a few things I can nitpick - things I liked more or less by comparison - But the big difference is that the talk with Momiji and the visit to the gravesite are swapped between the series. The new series puts the cemetery visit after the chat in the Sohma building and I'm... not seeing the point. The original uses everything before it to build up to that final scene. The direction's a notch tighter too.

The only advantage of swapping the scenes like that are that you can neatly segue into dropping the plot points of Yuki stumbliing on the old cap Tohru keeps and Kyo apologizing to Tohru for something but does that need to be done so bluntly? The old series is a little too cryptic, just cutting to panning shots of the main Sohma characters staring melancholicly away from the camera but that's still better than how the new show handles it. This mysterious backstory bullshit the new series is pulling has generally been the worst parts of all the episodes, exposition dropped in with the subtlety of a lead balloon, whereas most everything else is handled with a degree of delicacy.

NeededSleep

First 3 eps of Vinland saga was good. I feel lile this is somethig i need to binge watch, so i might wait till the season finishes.

Also, just watched The movie, is it Wrong to Try to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon?: Arrow of the Orion.

Enjoyed it all the way through, cant wait to start the second season on the 12th. .. I still cannot get over how fucking stupid name the name of this anime is.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoyed it all the way through, cant wait to start the second season on the 12th. .. I still cannot get over how fucking stupid name the name of this anime is.
It is gonna be way better than S1.

edit: no more multitasking posting

Last edited by a moderator:

Javthusiast

Banned
Episode 1 of Vinland Saga was really good. WIT production quality is top notch.

Knowing the main character boy is older than in episode 1 on all the manga covers, intro etc. and is looking very hellbent on maybe revenge, I fear for his family already, especially the sister.

Mista

Banned
Episode 1 of Vinland Saga was really good. WIT production quality is top notch.

Knowing the main character boy is older than in episode 1 on all the manga covers, intro etc. and is looking very hellbent on maybe revenge, I fear for his family already, especially the sister.
The thing is WIT are going to do the same shit they did with AoT. After releasing 3 episodes, we’ll have to wait 3 weeks now for episode 4 to drop

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I like MiA but it isn't something you can watch anywhere but your house because of its weird child nudity and the really weird fanbase that usually follows it.

Also

MagnesG

Banned
Who read/watch Break Blade? Recently got back from reading latest chapters, felt like it becoming one of the underrated series tarnished by the seasonal anime.

pel1300

Currently watching Naruto Kai (filler free edit) and I must say -

The fights are way too drawn out, long, and repetitive.

Every fight goes like this:

He's dead! No, it was just an illusion, gotcha! Ok now this guy's dead...no it was a shadow clone, gotcha! Ok now he's really dead....no, he can revive himself, gotcha! Ok now he's dead for real this time.

Is it me or were the fights in Naruto, before Shippudden, shorter and less filled with gotcha twists?

It has gotten to the point where I skip the majority of the fight scenes and just jump to near the end because I just wanna see what the end result is.

Also too many characters. It's like the GRRM A Song of Ice and Fire situation - he wrote too many houses and characters and thus wrote himself into a corner.

So we get all these new characters and then Orochimaru, the most interesting and menacing villain from the first show, does almost nothing and goes out with a wimper. I wanted to see him take on one of the Akatsuki (besides Itachi).

As a whole I think Naruto is far superior to Naruto Shippudden in terms of:

-pacing
-music (soundtrack was amazing, why did they change composers?)
-action
-cool use of each character's abilities....had a very X-Men feel to it.

PS - Wasn't Neji supposed to be a big time prodigy? Like the kid with the most raw power coming from a legendary and powerful bloodline? And his father like one of the most powerful fighters in the canon? Was he supposed to be a thing in Shippuden?

Last edited:

Helios

Currently watching Naruto Kai (filler free edit) and I must say -

The fights are way too drawn out, long, and repetitive.

Every fight goes like this:

He's dead! No, it was just an illusion, gotcha! Ok now this guy's dead...no it was a shadow clone, gotcha! Ok now he's really dead....no, he can revive himself, gotcha! Ok now he's dead for real this time.

Is it me or were the fights in Naruto, before Shippudden, shorter and less filled with gotcha twists?

It has gotten to the point where I skip the majority of the fight scenes and just jump to near the end because I just wanna see what the end result is.

Also too many characters. It's like the GRRM A Song of Ice and Fire situation - he wrote too many houses and characters and thus wrote himself into a corner.

So we get all these new characters and then Orochimaru, the most interesting and menacing villain from the first show, does almost nothing and goes out with a wimper. I wanted to see him take on one of the Akatsuki (besides Itachi).
That's most shounen in a nutshell I think. Long drawn-out fights and lots of characters that get forgotten. There's also the problem that a lot of the side-characters are more interesting than the main characters by a mile.
As a whole I think Naruto is far superior to Naruto Shippudden in terms of:

-pacing
-music (soundtrack was amazing, why did they change composers?)
-action
-cool use of each character's abilities....had a very X-Men feel to it.
I agree, though I haven't seen either in 10 years and I've never went too far into Shippudden.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
VN adaptation doesn't count :messenger_smirking:

Though yeah that show was butchered from the start. I watched trash anime all the time, can't even finish that one.
Anime doesn't discriminate when it comes to butchering something no matter the source.

Shouta

Who read/watch Break Blade? Recently got back from reading latest chapters, felt like it becoming one of the underrated series tarnished by the seasonal anime.

I followed the manga when it had started out but I fell off because I had problems with the author's writing. The action and mechs were top-notch though. I heard the anime was pretty good back when it was released.

MagnesG

Banned
I followed the manga when it had started out but I fell off because I had problems with the author's writing. The action and mechs were top-notch though. I heard the anime was pretty good back when it was released.
First time I heard that, need to refresh my memory. Can you tell what's the issue with the author's writing?
The tv anime basically copied all the animations from the first 6 movies that came out earlier (the movies are awesome), only adding some bits here and there, then rammed all the plots into a 12 episode series. Multiple large important parts of the story/animations were shorten or cut in the process. It was horrible to watch, to the first timers and long time fans alike.

Also the movies OP by Kokia, I'm immediately hooked when this starts:

First 3 eps of Vinland saga was good. I feel lile this is somethig i need to binge watch, so i might wait till the season finishes.

Also, just watched The movie, is it Wrong to Try to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon?: Arrow of the Orion.

Why Do My Weeb Light Novel Names Have to Be So Needlessly Long and Complicated

Last edited:

Shouta

First time I heard that, need to refresh my memory. Can you tell what's the issue with the author's writing?
The tv anime basically copied all the animations from the first 6 movies that came out earlier (the movies are awesome), only adding some bits here and there, then rammed all the plots into a 12 episode series. Multiple large important parts of the story/animations were shorten or cut in the process. It was horrible to watch, to the first timers and long time fans alike.

Also the movies OP by Kokia, I'm immediately hooked when this starts:

It's more of the technical aspects of it than the content. I recall thinking that the the author didn't do a good job of juggling so many characters, keeping the story focused, pacing it, etc. It's been more than 10 years since I read it though so my memory could be fuzzy, lol.

MagnesG

Banned
It's more of the technical aspects of it than the content. I recall thinking that the the author didn't do a good job of juggling so many characters, keeping the story focused, pacing it, etc. It's been more than 10 years since I read it though so my memory could be fuzzy, lol.
Oh. That make sense, especially for monthly manga, I drop off the series to binge a lot of chapters later. I do remember some minor talking scenes spanning of multiple chapters each of them, author really took his time, months for a scene.

Even now I definitely can see the manga had a long way to go to finish.

Last edited:

pel1300

Is it worth watching Full Metal Alchemist 2003 if I already watched all of FMA Brotherhood?

How does it compare tonally to Brotherhood? Does it feel as epic in scale?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Is it worth watching Full Metal Alchemist 2003 if I already watched all of FMA Brotherhood?

No.

It was an anime made and finished when the manga wasn't.

Helios

Nowhere near as epic. It takes a different turn around half-way through and comes to a really bad and unsatisfying conclusion. There's also a movie that tries to fix said ending and fails.

Shouta

If you're looking for an epic adventure then probably not. 2003 is more of a character study. It really spends a lot time examining its characters, what their journey means to them, the tragedies in everything that occurs, etc. It's a very different show as a result and its depictions of some of the early events are the best of all the iterations, IMO. I personally prefer it over Brotherhood but they're kind of two parts of a whole.

There's a pretty good retrospective I just watched that goes over both that I'd recommend if you're interested in FMA as a series and it might make you more interested in checking out 2003. Just ignore his deadpan you can be wrong sarcasm, lol

Edit: It has spoilers for 2003 and how it plays out in the latter half though. so if you don't mind that I'd say check the video out.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned

Imo, 2003 had more fillers padded out with original ending. Maybe you could watch it until the story diverges (I don't remember), and continue if you like it enough.

-Minsc-

Not as epic in scale IMO but still competent enough to stand as an alternate timeline. You should be fine if you watch it and don't expect it to be as good as Brotherhood. Like others say, the beginning of the anime stretches out the original source material compared to how Brotherhood flew by things to get to the new stuff.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Gonna upset this board.

FMA Brotherhood is a botched series with rushed production and lacking impressive animation following a manga that went from great to Shounen as fuck.

FMA 2003 has better emotional impact and does a good job with the source material it had at the time to work with. It should be rated on its own merits, it shouldn't be forgotten because it has better openings/endings, OST and better animation direction.

Last edited:

Fbh

Watched the first episode of Vinland Saga.
So far it seems like a good adaptation, the animations and overall presentation seem good and I'm liking the voices.
Will watch one episode a week, I think I'll like it better that way than 3 in a row and then nothing

Also saw the first one of the firefighters. Somewhat generic but fun, will probably stick with it for now.

And I'm honestly starting to lose my interest in Kimetsu no Yaiba. Both new supporting characters are terrible and the last few episodes have been like 50% bad attempts at humor with both of them

Not as epic but it's still a fun watch.
I think it's an interesting alternative version even if I like the original storyline better.
I like some aspects of it better visually and does some of the early parts better (before the story diverges) IMO

Oh and I like the music more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom