• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters

Mista

Banned
Btw @Mista, I just binged Vinland Saga from the start to latest chap :messenger_sunglasses: (I had time to waste). I'm surprised with the amount of shounen stuffs I missed, but really it was quite balanced between the plots, never in one moment where it was cringe enough for me to face palm or anything. Awesome, just awesome series.
Onto Berserk next.
Glad you enjoyed! Now onto Berserk? Damn, I love you already!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
2 episodes into Dr Stone(thank you Roll of the Crunchy) and... I am not sure if I like where this show is going
You need to not think at all to enjoy this. I know I did when I used to read the manga
"How does a mind not go insane while being trapped in stone for th..."
I..it is a shonen.

manfestival

watching the latest episode of kimtesu no yaiba. Like the show has remained pretty great but has definitely changed from the first like 10 episodes. I find Zenitsu super annoying but I enjoy his as a character. Same for inosuke. Initially I found them to be somewhat detractors of the show but they grew on me pretty quickly. The show has become more of a goofy fun thing from the no fun gritty dark that it was at first but I am still ok with this since the whole thing is quality

I have Bem on deck for whenever I want to dip in
You need to not think at all to enjoy this. I know I did when I used to read the manga
"How does a mind not go insane while being trapped in stone for th..."
I..it is a shonen.
I had no prior knowledge of dr stone aside from seeing a CR advert for it. So this is just gonna end up as traditional shounen? HMM I mean I can totally see it and I guess that is probably why I am feeling this. I still want to give Dr Stone more time but it is a shame that it isnt deeper

Last edited:

Sakura

watching the latest episode of kimtesu no yaiba. Like the show has remained pretty great but has definitely changed from the first like 10 episodes. I find Zenitsu super annoying but I enjoy his as a character. Same for inosuke. Initially I found them to be somewhat detractors of the show but they grew on me pretty quickly. The show has become more of a goofy fun thing from the no fun gritty dark that it was at first but I am still ok with this since the whole thing is quality

I had no prior knowledge of dr stone aside from seeing a CR advert for it. So this is just gonna end up as traditional shounen? HMM I mean I can totally see it and I guess that is probably why I am feeling this. I still want to give Dr Stone more time but it is a shame that it isnt deeper
For me personally the beginning of Dr Stone is the peak of the series lol

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

I only enjoyed the beggining of the manga before it became like Danganronpa. (ie SMARTEST PERSON GENIUS/STRONGEST MAN EVR bs)

-Minsc-

So....

I watched the first episode of Dr. Stone then foolishly proceeded to steal/read the manga on a binge. It is definitely made to appeal to teens, aka shonen. Not a bad thing, a nice backdrop change if shonen is your thing. The best way I can describe it is a teenagers glorified view of science. Being shonen the "science power level" tends to increase at a seemingly unrealistic pace. That's fine as it's made to be fun, not realistic. Real science, aside from cherry picking specific topics, would actually be very boring shonen. Observe, record, observe, record, observe and record to infinity.

So....

I watched the first episode of Dr. Stone then foolishly proceeded to steal/read the manga on a binge. It is definitely made to appeal to teens, aka shonen. Not a bad thing, a nice backdrop change if shonen is your thing. The best way I can describe it is a teenagers glorified view of science. Being shonen the "science power level" tends to increase at a seemingly unrealistic pace. That's fine as it's made to be fun, not realistic. Real science, aside from cherry picking specific topics, would actually be very boring shonen. Observe, record, observe, record, observe and record to infinity.

It seems more like shonen Mcgyver+Lost

Mysterious premise stranding them, some genius guy crafting shit out of twigs. Makes sense.

Sakura

My random thoughts on Dr Stone after reading the first 8 volumes
At the start it was interesting. Why did everybody turn to stone? How are they going to survive in this post-apocalyptic world? Woah a small village of neolithic people, cool.
Then it just becomes science project of the week. The story makes no sense. What the fuck is Tsukasa Empire and Science Kingdom? Who even came up with these names? Why is one an empire and the other a kingdom?
It feels like the author is just making it up as he goes. There is no real substance, it's just like, make a crazy new science thing even crazier than the last thing. It takes them a year to make the chemical to unpetrify people, then he is just making increasingly complex things in shorter amounts of time. All the resources you would need are within trekking distance of the village. It's all nonsense.
There doesn't seem to be much thought put into the creations before deciding to make them either.
Kohaku's sister is sick with some illness. Rather than actually determine what illness it is, let's just make a sulfa drug and hope it cures her. How hard would it be to have a scene where he get's kohaku to check her symptoms and what not, before deciding that a sulfa drug will be the answer? Instead, it's not until after they actually make it when he determines what the illness is.
He decides to make a radio with the vague reasoning that wireless communication will allow them to engage in conflict against the Tsukasa Empire and have the upper hand, because of the superior information etc it would provide. Never mind it is a very crude, large radio, and there are only two. It's unfathomable that it would give them the upper hand or even provide a level playing field considering just how outnumbered and outmatched they are. It's a good thing they discovered that record after they already started working on the radio, so they could use it for something entirely different! Lord knows what they would've done otherwise.

And holy fucking shit the whole origin story of the village. Senku's dad and crew are up in space so they don't get turned to stone. The manage to return back to Japan by themselves, and Senku's dad is the founder of the village. Are you serious? How does any of this make sense? When Senku's dad was still alive, the stone event thing had only just happened. There would be operational power facilities. Tools. Resources. Buildings. Farmland. Etc. Yet the only thing he can manage to leave is a fucking neolithic village? What a shitty job. Instead of teaching 100 oral stories to your kids and hoping they pass the stories on word for word for the next few thousand years, here is an idea. Teach them how to make and fix tools. Teach them how to make paper so they can just write these stupid stories down. Teach them a million things that would be way more useful. And don't even get me started on how it has been over 3000 years and there is literally just a single village of a 100 people or so. Or the fact that it has been over 3000 years and they still speak the exact same fucking Japanese as Senku. Why not just, you know, have Senku's dad and crew wake up a couple hundred years before Senku? It would be a lot more believable as to why the Japanese is the same, and why it is a stone age village.

Look, Japan is HUGE for the couple hundred of people that exist in the series. Why not go somewhere else, instead of sitting in this village that is a short distance from Tsukasa's faction? Relocate to Kyushu or something using the magic of science. Tsukasa will have no idea where the hell you are. He doesn't have the manpower or technology to search all of Japan. You can build a new village entirely free from them, and continue to create all sorts of science shit while Tsukasa sits in the stone age.

I could go on and on but yeah.
I'm still reading though because the setting grabs me and I wanna know why everybody turned to stone.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I am a huge sci-fi anime fan which are sadly kinda rare these days, but I truly disliked the mecha type ones ever since I was a kid up until a few months ago when I decided to watch Gurren Lagann and initially I found it meh and wanted to drop it until that Kamina episode came up and it changed my perspective and I stuck with it and I'm glad I did because it was insane and fun. So now I said fuck it, I'm going to watch all mecha stuff I refused to watch and obviously Neon Genesis was my second pick and I gotta say I am really enjoying it. I dont know why but the older animes are so much better than the newer ones for some reason. Maybe because I consider Cowboy Bebop one of the best and I'm just nostalgic. I guess the next one I'll watch is Code Geas since they're all on Netflix.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My random thoughts on Dr Stone after reading the first 8 volumes
At the start it was interesting. Why did everybody turn to stone? How are they going to survive in this post-apocalyptic world? Woah a small village of neolithic people, cool.
Then it just becomes science project of the week. The story makes no sense. What the fuck is Tsukasa Empire and Science Kingdom? Who even came up with these names? Why is one an empire and the other a kingdom?
It feels like the author is just making it up as he goes. There is no real substance, it's just like, make a crazy new science thing even crazier than the last thing. It takes them a year to make the chemical to unpetrify people, then he is just making increasingly complex things in shorter amounts of time. All the resources you would need are within trekking distance of the village. It's all nonsense.
There doesn't seem to be much thought put into the creations before deciding to make them either.
Kohaku's sister is sick with some illness. Rather than actually determine what illness it is, let's just make a sulfa drug and hope it cures her. How hard would it be to have a scene where he get's kohaku to check her symptoms and what not, before deciding that a sulfa drug will be the answer? Instead, it's not until after they actually make it when he determines what the illness is.
He decides to make a radio with the vague reasoning that wireless communication will allow them to engage in conflict against the Tsukasa Empire and have the upper hand, because of the superior information etc it would provide. Never mind it is a very crude, large radio, and there are only two. It's unfathomable that it would give them the upper hand or even provide a level playing field considering just how outnumbered and outmatched they are. It's a good thing they discovered that record after they already started working on the radio, so they could use it for something entirely different! Lord knows what they would've done otherwise.

And holy fucking shit the whole origin story of the village. Senku's dad and crew are up in space so they don't get turned to stone. The manage to return back to Japan by themselves, and Senku's dad is the founder of the village. Are you serious? How does any of this make sense? When Senku's dad was still alive, the stone event thing had only just happened. There would be operational power facilities. Tools. Resources. Buildings. Farmland. Etc. Yet the only thing he can manage to leave is a fucking neolithic village? What a shitty job. Instead of teaching 100 oral stories to your kids and hoping they pass the stories on word for word for the next few thousand years, here is an idea. Teach them how to make and fix tools. Teach them how to make paper so they can just write these stupid stories down. Teach them a million things that would be way more useful. And don't even get me started on how it has been over 3000 years and there is literally just a single village of a 100 people or so. Or the fact that it has been over 3000 years and they still speak the exact same fucking Japanese as Senku. Why not just, you know, have Senku's dad and crew wake up a couple hundred years before Senku? It would be a lot more believable as to why the Japanese is the same, and why it is a stone age village.

Look, Japan is HUGE for the couple hundred of people that exist in the series. Why not go somewhere else, instead of sitting in this village that is a short distance from Tsukasa's faction? Relocate to Kyushu or something using the magic of science. Tsukasa will have no idea where the hell you are. He doesn't have the manpower or technology to search all of Japan. You can build a new village entirely free from them, and continue to create all sorts of science shit while Tsukasa sits in the stone age.

I could go on and on but yeah.
I'm still reading though because the setting grabs me and I wanna know why everybody turned to stone.
Because even though they were frozen in stone for over 1000 years they never mentally matured and are still dumb fucking kids.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Michael Jackson is such a cliche antagonist. Now I remember why I stopped reading Kimetsu after giving the anime a chance.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why? MJ appears in Kimetsu?
Kimetsu-no-Yaiba-7.10.png

shamone

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
"What is a Mexican?" - Alien loli
Cop Craft is retarded.

This shit is set somewhere near Australia so why is the mc a Japanese dude and why is his dead partner American?
I am so confused.

manfestival

so Bem is based off of some really old source material huh? I am not really sure what to think of the show though currently. I did not know anything about it prior but... it seems really out there to me. Willing to give it more episodes though. I like the monster look

Mista

Banned
so Bem is based off of some really old source material huh? I am not really sure what to think of the show though currently. I did not know anything about it prior but... it seems really out there to me. Willing to give it more episodes though. I like the monster look
So is there any horror or it’s rubbish?

Doom85

Does horror even translate properly to media? Nothing is truly scary or creepy.

Translate properly to anime? It seems really hard to do. It could happen but I've yet to see it done successfully. I mean, I enjoyed Another, Higurashi, and Ghost Hunt but I wouldn't call them actually scary. I think the closest I've seen an anime succeed in having a scary moment was Serial Experiments Lain, where Lain is walking and then sees this strange man just staring at her from across the street. I mean, IIRC he's not actually a threat but just in that moment I'm seeing a 13 year old girl being possibly threatened by a creepy adult, it was unnerving.

But in media in general? Well yeah, there have been plenty of effective horror movies from not only Japan but also the US, Spain, France, etc. I mean, if you don't personally think horror in media will scare you, that's fine, but obviously many horror movies have genuinely scared plenty of people.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Georgie: Hey, Penny! What book is that?
Penny: Here
*Shows the book*
Georgie: Parry Hotter? What a friggin ripoff! He doesn't even look like a real wizard!
Penny: That's cuz he's not! He's an autistic kid who got sent to England cuz he shot his brother.

How did Shin Chan dubs get away with this?

petran79

Banned
The most effective classic horror anime I've seen was a 2 episode ova adapting stories by Kazuo Umezu. Has more in common with 70s horror.

Watched also Dougram.
Most politically and ideologically charged series I've seen.Watching it in early 80s even more so.
It also goes into meticulous details about military operations, politics, negotiations, ideology etc
It does not only allude to Cuban Revolution. Later they show real newspaper headlines like "Arab league condemns usa/Israel about massacre", "us troops land in beirut", "usa sells computers to China", "Japan opens trade relations with north Korea" etc
It makes the politics of LOTGH or even GitS and patlabor so distant and imaginary in comparison. Closest anime would be Future War 198x but this too goes into a "what if" scenario.
Perhaps the main reason it did not become as popular. Politics and ideology are too much embedded in real events
Military and political leaders are some of the best I've seen in anime. They all have an ideology and follow it according to their beliefs.
Too bad that outside the Mc and the conflicts he has to endure with his family and himself, all his team mates are mostly flat and for comic relief. Also one has to watch 30+ episodes for things really to become more interesting.
Animation is standard handrawn early 80s Mecha. Gers the job done and battles are intense.
It would be difficult to watch it in today's apolitical anime climate

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The most effective classic horror anime I've seen was a 2 episode ova adapting stories by Kazuo Umezu. Has more in common with 70s horror.

Watched also Dougram.
Most politically and ideologically charged series I've seen.Watching it in early 80s even more so.
It also goes into meticulous details about military operations, politics, negotiations, ideology etc
It does not only allude to Cuban Revolution. Later they show real newspaper headlines like "Arab league condemns usa/Israel about massacre", "us troops land in beirut", "usa sells computers to China", "Japan opens trade relations with north Korea" etc
It makes the politics of LOTGH or even GitS and patlabor so distant and imaginary in comparison. Closest anime would be Future War 198x but this too goes into a "what if" scenario.
Perhaps the main reason it did not become as popular. Politics and ideology are too much embedded in real events
Military and political leaders are some of the best I've seen in anime. They all have an ideology and follow it according to their beliefs.
Too bad that outside the Mc and the conflicts he has to endure with his family and himself, all his team mates are mostly flat and for comic relief. Also one has to watch 30+ episodes for things really to become more interesting.
Animation is standard handrawn early 80s Mecha. Gers the job done and battles are intense.
It would be difficult to watch it in today's apolitical anime climate
That sounds neat but I skip mecha like the plague.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Danmachi started off horrible.

Bell losing horribly and fast against a dude with lower stats is fucking shit. You'd figure he'd at least be better by now. Moreso Freya not killing Apollo there and then after declaring war.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
His argonaut skill didn't even activate. The fuck kind of lazy writing is this.

101060.jpg

This is the best thing out this season so far.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
t4TPXbj.png
I didn't like this chapter. The "busty" girl that wants to cosplay as a man isn't doing it for me. I hope this "arc" ends quickly.

John Blade

Redline-Headline1.jpg

Synopsis
Every five years, an exhilarating race called Redline is held, and the universe's most anticipated competition has only one rule: that there are none. Racers are pushed to their absolute limit—a feeling that daredevil driver JP knows all too well. Having just qualified to participate in Redline, he is eager to battle against the other highly skilled drivers, particularly the beautiful rising star and the only other human that qualified, Sonoshee McLaren.

But this year's Redline may be far more dangerous than usual—it has been announced to take place on the planet Roboworld with its trigger-happy military and criminals who look to turn the race to their own advantage. However, the potential danger doesn't stop the racers; in fact, it only adds to the thrill. Relying solely on his vehicle's speed, JP prepares for the event to come, aiming to take first place in the biggest race of his life.

Redline is an animated movie which show how hand made drawings animations can still been down even today as it's one of the more beautiful and colorful animation style work I have watch for a very long time. A 7 years works under Madhouse with second key animation from Gainax, you can see how much effort by the animation team have spend in this movie. The amount of actions and detail on screen at any part of the movie is so vast that it's recommend for repeat viewings to notice the work. The art style is very unique, with so many different color was used while the character designs are fresh and very interesting to see (so many unique aliens lifeforms and so many vibrant color).

As for the story, is not going to win any major award in the story line department and they're few minor plot issue I notice when I am watching it (mostly near the end of the big race). Despite of the typical cliches style it follow, it's very well paced and very fun to watch. The action scene is fast and full of adrenaline while the drama at times feel cheesy but fits well with the films attitude. It isn't trying to set out to challenge our minds but more to show off the epic race between the racer in the movie while try to entertain us.

For the characters development side, almost all of the characters in the movie are fit into the typical stereotype characters which don't have the complex, deep and thoughtful. Most are present themselves as larger than life like the movie. The characters are written to be more entertaining which you notice it as you follow them. Even with this, they're some character development which you notice mostly toward the two main characters, JP and Sonoshee.

As for the music, I can't really say much. It get the work done to push the tone of the scene in the movie but kinda feel sublime. For the dub, the English dub sound great as do the Japanese dub so, either one work fine for this movie based watching it in both dub.

Overall, Redline is a movie I would recommend for people who want to see beautiful animation while at the same time want to go through the over the top experience this movie is giving (go into the movie for the experience not for the story line). Would recommend for anyone who either love animated or even non anime fans.

1ef1449a670ad85004c1e8357a79f917.gif
giphy.gif
tenor.gif
giphy.gif
7dGV.gif
eda.gif

Last edited:

kiiltz

Redline is the very definition of Every Frame a Painting. It's incredibly disappointing how well it didn't fare at the BO because it's a huge achievement on a technical level.

Also, just a really fun movie.

-Minsc-

Redline-Headline1.jpg

Synopsis
Every five years, an exhilarating race called Redline is held, and the universe's most anticipated competition has only one rule: that there are none. Racers are pushed to their absolute limit—a feeling that daredevil driver JP knows all too well. Having just qualified to participate in Redline, he is eager to battle against the other highly skilled drivers, particularly the beautiful rising star and the only other human that qualified, Sonoshee McLaren.

But this year's Redline may be far more dangerous than usual—it has been announced to take place on the planet Roboworld with its trigger-happy military and criminals who look to turn the race to their own advantage. However, the potential danger doesn't stop the racers; in fact, it only adds to the thrill. Relying solely on his vehicle's speed, JP prepares for the event to come, aiming to take first place in the biggest race of his life.

Redline is an animated movie which show how hand made drawings animations can still been down even today as it's one of the more beautiful and colorful animation style work I have watch for a very long time. A 7 years works under Madhouse with second key animation from Gainax, you can see how much effort by the animation team have spend in this movie. The amount of actions and detail on screen at any part of the movie is so vast that it's recommend for repeat viewings to notice the work. The art style is very unique, with so many different color was used while the character designs are fresh and very interesting to see (so many unique aliens lifeforms and so many vibrant color).

As for the story, is not going to win any major award in the story line department and they're few minor plot issue I notice when I am watching it (mostly near the end of the big race). Despite of the typical cliches style it follow, it's very well paced and very fun to watch. The action scene is fast and full of adrenaline while the drama at times feel cheesy but fits well with the films attitude. It isn't trying to set out to challenge our minds but more to show off the epic race between the racer in the movie while try to entertain us.

For the characters development side, almost all of the characters in the movie are fit into the typical stereotype characters which don't have the complex, deep and thoughtful. Most are present themselves as larger than life like the movie. The characters are written to be more entertaining which you notice it as you follow them. Even with this, they're some character development which you notice mostly toward the two main characters, JP and Sonoshee.

As for the music, I can't really say much. It get the work done to push the tone of the scene in the movie but kinda feel sublime. For the dub, the English dub sound great as do the Japanese dub so, either one work fine for this movie based watching it in both dub.

Overall, Redline is a movie I would recommend for people who want to see beautiful animation while at the same time want to go through the over the top experience this movie is giving (go into the movie for the experience not for the story line). Would recommend for anyone who either love animated or even non anime fans.

1ef1449a670ad85004c1e8357a79f917.gif
giphy.gif
tenor.gif
giphy.gif
7dGV.gif
eda.gif
It is my understanding this is the movie where Madhouse said "F-it, lets go bankrupt.".

I'm glad animation such is this is few and far between. How else would we appreciate it if it were common place?

Have yet to watch the movie. I dare say viewing this movie on anything less than Blu-ray would be a sin.

John Blade

Redline is the very definition of Every Frame a Painting. It's incredibly disappointing how well it didn't fare at the BO because it's a huge achievement on a technical level.

Also, just a really fun movie.

Can't say much about how it did in the box office when it was released but as this is an original movie and not the typical anime franchise, I won't be surprise not many people have watch it when it was release in theater in Japan. Also, the movie is basically shown hand drawn animation can compete with CG animation at the time and still beautiful to watch even today. Also, it's a fun movie if you need something to put on TV or if you want to show your friend who isn't into Animated but a bit interested to watch one.

It is my understanding this is the movie where Madhouse said "F-it, lets go bankrupt.".

I'm glad animation such is this is few and far between. How else would we appreciate it if it were common place?

Have yet to watch the movie. I dare say viewing this movie on anything less than Blu-ray would be a sin.

I think so, this movie is the one which cause Madhouse in financial debt. As for hand drawn animation, I do like to see them more but with the advance CG animation and some of CG work look very beautiful to watch, I don't the hand drawn style animation will be common and only shown once a while by the animation team who want to show it in it's beauty.

Is they actually a DVD of Redline? *Check online.* Welp, go watch this movie in Blu ray or legal streaming. It's a fun popcorn flick movie which is easy to watch.

Top Bottom