• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've read the tsurezure children manga from here. This is my favorite manga because this manga story so nice.
My favorite couple didn't get proper closure. I was hoping for a S2 but that is highly unlikely.
10.jpg

SpoopySpeedster

Neo Member
Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation, but I really enjoyed Higurashi S1. I admit I feel guilty for not getting around to S2 yet especially since I actually own a bunch of Higurashi merch: a bunch of the manga volumes, PVC figures of Rena and Mion in the waitress outfits and Rika in a white dress, the OST CD, the visual novel CD-ROMs, and a framed poster of the girls (this one here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32933897761.html). I almost always watch official releases and there was no official release of S2 for a long time due to the licensing company Geneon going bankrupt after releasing S1 on DVD so by the time Sentai got the rights and released it all on BR it was many years later. I've got all the BR sets, just need to get around to it. Actually should do it this month, it's obviously the best month for this sort of genre.

I also enjoy it immensely, I haven't been able to invest as much into merchandise (I keep buying justbother things instead). It takes a lot of time to get the whole picture of what's actually happening in Hinamizawa, from all angles anyway because there's just so much content to account for across multiple medias. I love that it's spread out that way, it encourages different forms of story telling with the same general story adding different progressions and twists for each format. The animation style changes in S2 which isn't bad, it's just not the same as S1.

I started a collection of the manga with a personal dedication to not purchase any copies online because I found the Dice Killing Arc at a local comic shop, but that seems to be a failing endeavor because they just aren't around where I live. Umineko is far more abundant in book stores, which is cool but just not what I'm looking for.

I hope you enjoy it, it's definitely different from the first. It's a bit more cutesy. Now I want to rewatch both and the movie. You're very right by saying this months the best for it, 'tis the season

God Enel

What do guys think of black clover? I watched the first 5-6 episodes and I like it so far. Not sure what else asta can de besides summoning that might sword so I’m in for more.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What do guys think of black clover? I watched the first 5-6 episodes and I like it so far. Not sure what else asta can de besides summoning that might sword so I’m in for more.
Punch wizard fuck magic. If you enjoyed it (somehow) you might enjoy Fire Force which apparently gets better after ep 10.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yes! The new anime season is here. This season I'm watching:
Gundam Build Divers ReRise
GranBlue Fantasy Season 2
Sword Art Online Alicization War of Underworld

Last edited:

I watched the first 2 episodes and that’s as far as I got. I really need to watch more, but I didn’t really like the whole black and white manga shit it went into at the end of episode 2, but regardless, I just have so many shows I’m trying to juggle right now it’s hard to give new series a chance.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! is nothing special but I like the MC.

Durask

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun! was quite entertaining so far. Not gut busting funny but reasonably amusing.

Speaking of funny anime,. which one do you find the funniest?
For me I think Watamote was probably the one where I actually got really painful hiccups when watching it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun! was quite entertaining so far. Not gut busting funny but reasonably amusing.

For me I think Watamote was probably the one where I actually got really painful hiccups when watching it.
Humanity has Declined if you are a gigantic cynic.

Sakura

Started rewatching Ano hana.
This show is really good.
Relate too much with the protagonist not going to school.
My favourite comedies are
Milky Holmes
Sakamoto desu ga?
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Asobi Asobase
Minami-ke
etc
Lots of shows where I enjoy the comedy (Working for example) but they aren't comedy only shows.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

This looks like a decent adaptation. Sadly the MC is an asshole and the story isn't very good.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've read all the chapters of the manga so far. I'm about 60ish episodes into the anime. There is a period in the middle of those episodes where there was the occasional badly animated episode, and then a new animation team came in that did a lot better. The OP's and ED's are really good. Some real bangers there.

The series got a lot of flack originally because it wasn't very original and seemed like the product of someone who grew up reading shonen (which I'm sure Yuki Tabata did) and combined a lot of the tropes.

The series greatest strengths are in its characters. They are all very memorable and I seriously cherish their presence and interactions with each other.

Last edited:

Fbh

It's enjoyable enough to read the manga chapters weekly. But it's rather generic and derivative.
I also get the feeling that Asta might be insufferable in anime format with all the constant screaming.

Shouta

Which anime is this?

Mushoku Tensei, Jobless Reincarnation.

It was among the first series that really popularized the current wave of Isekai reincarnation/transported into another world series. It's one of the better ones since it deals heavily with the character living his new life and reflecting on the mistakes he made in his time in the real world. It's very much about redemption and coming of age which is a somewhat odd combination of themes for a story. It's probably my favorite of this type. The novel version is a bit rough with the degenerate aspects but the manga version strikes an extremely good balance with it all.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Mushoku Tensei, Jobless Reincarnation.

It was among the first series that really popularized the current wave of Isekai reincarnation/transported into another world series. It's one of the better ones since it deals heavily with the character living his new life and reflecting on the mistakes he made in his time in the real world. It's very much about redemption and coming of age which is a somewhat odd combination of themes for a story. It's probably my favorite of this type. The novel version is a bit rough with the degenerate aspects but the manga version strikes an extremely good balance with it all.
Redemption?
Did he ever redeem himself after grooming a kid?
Remember he basically had the mind of a 30+year old fat neet.

Shouta

Redemption?
Did he ever redeem himself after grooming a kid?
Remember he basically had the mind of a 30+year old fat neet.

That sure is a highly negative reading of the situation. 🤔 Then again, that seems to be par for the course based off what I've read elsewhere from folks.

The fact he's a 34 year old fat NEET, learning not to do scummy shit/be better and becoming a responsible person is the core of the story.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That sure is a highly negative reading of the situation. 🤔 Then again, that seems to be par for the course based off what I've read elsewhere from folks.

The fact he's a 34 year old fat NEET, learning not to do scummy shit/be better and becoming a responsible person is the core of the story.
That is exactly what happens though?

Paul punched him square in the face for doing so as well. This is the same Paul that cheated on his wife with the maid. Let that sink in.

Shouta

That is exactly what happens though?

Paul punched him square in the face for doing so as well. This is the same Paul that cheated on his wife with the maid. Let that sink in.

In a way, yes and in a way, no. A huge part of the novels is that there's a lot of internal monologue. That's pretty standard for a novel but that tends to color the situation at hand as well. That presents an issue because it makes it difficult to figure out what actually is the situation. It's especially true or this series since it presents two different perspectives at times. For this specific situation, I don't think either set of perspectives are entirely accurate. Some of Rudy's thoughts are scummy as shit but his actions and his feelings in other parts are not. Paulo's assessment is in the right ballpark but his ability to come to a wholly accurate conclusion is kinda shit, especially seeing him a little bit later into the series, and he lacks a certain amount of perspective in that analysis.

This is pretty apparent when you look at the manga's depictions of the events. Granted, Rudeus' degenerate aspects get dialed down because they can't monologue it all but the relationship is pretty normal and the assessment at the end is probably a lot closer to what it actually was since the character perspectives are not in the way. They literally were just being kids, aside from being able to do crazy ass magic for their age. Is there anything actually bad occurring? I guess it might not be if someone subscribes to the idea bad thoughts = bad person. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Rudy also fully accepts being chucked to his Uncle's place as a result of everything without much fuss. So even if we look at the thing wholly negatively, he probably implicitly realized he messed up and that this was probably for the best.

Edit: If you want i can rundown my thoughts on the situation in detail later though.

Last edited:

s34ab

Banned

This looks like a decent adaptation. Sadly the MC is an asshole and the story isn't very good.

Here's hoping it gets a full season with room to breathe (slime/shield) instead of being another 12 episode set and forget (smartphone, death march, no game no life, problem children, demon lord, etc.)

John Blade

key_art_moribito_guardian_of_the_spirit.jpg

Synopsis

On the precipice of a cataclysmic drought, the Star Readers of the Shin Yogo Empire must devise a plan to avoid widespread famine. It is written in ancient myths that the first emperor, along with eight warriors, slew a water demon to avoid a great drought and save the land that was to become Shin Yogo. If a water demon was to appear once more, its death could bring salvation. However, the water demon manifests itself within the body of the emperor's son, Prince Chagum—by the emperor's order, Chagum is to be sacrificed to save the empire.

Meanwhile, a mysterious spear-wielding mercenary named Balsa arrives in Shin Yogo on business. After saving Chagum from a thinly veiled assassination attempt, she is tasked by Chagum's mother to protect him from the emperor and his hunters. Bound by a sacred vow she once made, Balsa accepts.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (or Seirei no Moribito ) is a Japanese fantasy novels from the Moribito Series which spans twelves volumes and written by Nahoko Uehashi. Only the 1st two volumes have actually translated in English and released to the West before stopped because of lack of demands for the translation of the book. Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit has been adapted into numerous media from manga, radio drama, anime adaption, and TV drama (which actually continue into the second volumes of the series). I will be discussing the anime adaption as I just finish watching the show. If you like the show and want to see more, I would look into the Manga or TV adaption as it continue the story to Volume 2.

I have a to say, this is one of the better fantasy drama anime I have watch for a while. The story line is simple and it have the rescue the princess scenario but in reversal. This isn't a terrible as the story flows at a nice and steady pace throughout the series with some minor slow down which is mostly use to to go into character development of the major characters. One of the major strength is the strong character development between the main characters. One of the star of the show is Balsa, the spear wielding warrior woman. She is one of the strongest and very unique female leads in anime I have watch for a while. She has a strong sense of right and wrong while have process many skills in fighting ability which you notice during battle scene in the show. For Chagum, he is basically what a prince would be minus the arrogance. Weak, don't understand certain things that a normal people do as he never go through hardship. This two characters at opposite end have a good development between them and you start to see their relationship get stronger when both are develops more as each episodes pass by. This is also help with other supporting characters in the show which have a certain amount of development because of their association with Balsa and Chagum, The various reference and flashbacks begin to make sense as series progresses and it will help the audience to understand more of Balsa's character even more and how it change her as a person.

For the animation, it's very beautiful to see. Majority of the background animation is beautiful (a bit of Ghibli look) and take some design influences from Asian countries. For the character animation is fluid and smooth. The character design is mostly trying for the realistic look for the most part.

For the music, you got Kenji Kawai who is well known and made amazing music and you notice this in the show. The music actually help push the tone quite well for the scene and use it wisely to express the scene mood and you notice this during battle and important dialogue scene.

Overall, a very well done anime which not many people talk about (kinda a hidden gems). Would recommend the show if you want something in fantasy and want a strong female characters with good character development between the two main characters and a story which get very interesting as you continue watching.

W1a-Jc991lCLrDuURME2NS6dkyAP2VbtuoP3pLqY2XZHztfbOtKPLg-yiyxLae0qtqcILoexJWFNXpVwJIAZ2XUWF7WO6esP83uD46d2hSBtRvmKoIRjVJ2IC5XglEvqxsHwVFk_LbrKWmanjODABA
tumblr_n5iogj8bVm1t5zqxco1_r1_500.gif
tumblr_mxiobuGSt61sj33kmo1_500.gif
b620d195bc72dc1b7cf6e6ae1dcfc227.gif

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just started watching Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia today. Now I'm up to watching 4 shows this season. :messenger_sunglasses:

Doom85

I love a ton of OPs, but usually I find EDs to be merely good at best. But these two I've always loved:

I really love the touch of Rika (IIRC it was her) always speaking at the end of it as the music slowly came to a close.

It did suck how often they would skip doing the ED with full animation (as well as the two OPs, wasn't a fan of the 2nd ED) but I know the studio wanted to make sure as much of the light novel made it into the 2-cour (since after the mansion arc there's not really a good place to end it temporarily except for where S1 did) so they said skipping was just often an inevitable choice. They actually got the network to agree to let episode 18 be extended by about 1.5 minutes to get as much of the rooftop scene in as possible as they knew how important it was, and the network agreed which is impressive since I can't imagine many networks liking the idea of less time for commercials.

Oh, and of course let's not forget:

Really sucks to hear Netflix didn't spend the money for the song rights. Good thing I still got my DVDs.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The best anime this season is probably going to be Hoshiai no Sora, as long as they keep it up. It's really good so far.

Last edited:

Paltheos

You're nuts. I don't even know everything else that's airing and I can tell you that Chihayafuru 3 will be the best. How can it not be?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The best anime this season is probably going to be Hoshiai no Sora, as long as they keep it up. It's really good so far.
It is too gay for me. Unlike Yuri Lane or Watashi Nouryoku.

silentstorm

Read the last few chapters of Kinnikuman and holy crap, the current villain has stated that Ataru, this guy that only appears once in a blue moon while everyone gushes about how strong and wonderful he is to a point that some of Suguru's(the main character) friends betrayed him in one of the times he needed them most to work for Ataru because he was a living saint that kicks ass...is not as likeable as Suguru, seriously, everyone just gushes about Ataru so much that even a villain saying he respects someone else more than him was the biggest plot twist i have seen from this series in a long time.

Durask

Watched Assassin's Pride.
Interesting setting but looks like they are going through LN story too fast since 2nd episode did not make any sense.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Watched Assassin's Pride.
Interesting setting but looks like they are going through LN story too fast since 2nd episode did not make any sense.
That sucks. Iruma is basically 2 chapters per episode. I will never understand why most anime adaptations rush things like this.

Fbh

Finally finished the Kimetsu no Yaiba anime.
Overall fairly enjoyable, specially with those top tier Ufotable production values. Zenitsu almost ruins it though, definitely the worst shonen character I've seen in a long time, but thankfully there's some good episodes in the second half where he doesn't participate too much so you can skip over his scenes fairly quickly.

EDIT:

Aww, damn. Dorohedoro will be done with ugly CGI :(

At least it seems above average for ugly CGI

Last edited:
Top Bottom