• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters
Is Seven Deadly Sins worth watching ?
It’s worth reading.
Seriously, the anime fails to recreate the impact of many fights scenes due to a less-than-stellar animation. The manga delivers the action in a much more poignant and memorable way. As a manga reader I do enjoy listening to the characters though. As for the story it’s very much character-driven with some twists here and there. Also romance is a big theme which is unusual for a shonen.

John Blade

key_art_kids_on_the_slope.jpg

Synopsis
Introverted classical pianist and top student Kaoru Nishimi has just arrived in Kyushu for his first year of high school. Having constantly moved from place to place since his childhood, he abandons all hope of fitting in, preparing himself for another lonely, meaningless year. That is, until he encounters the notorious delinquent Sentarou Kawabuchi.

Sentarou's immeasurable love for jazz music inspires Kaoru to learn more about the genre, and as a result, he slowly starts to break out of his shell, making his very first friend. Kaoru begins playing the piano at after-school jazz sessions, located in the basement of fellow student Ritsuko Mukae's family-owned record shop. As he discovers the immense joy of using his musical talents to bring enjoyment to himself and others, Kaoru's summer might just crescendo into one that he will remember forever.

Sakamichi no Apollon is a heartwarming story of friendship, music, and love that follows three unique individuals brought together by their mutual appreciation for jazz.

Just finished watching this show just now and might be going into my hidden gems anime list as I never heard about this show and just buy it from the whim of the trailers which I watch from another anime blu ray. I guess the decision is the right one.

The main storyline is simple to follow as you're following the friendship between Kaoru, Sentaro, Ritsuko who forge their friendship through one common passion: the love of music and the bond that they share. They is romance arch between Kaoru and Ritsuko which go both way during the odd situation in the story. This come to a bitter end between them when you realize it might not go the way you expected but it end to a good conclusion between them. Same with Sentarou and his respect for Junichi which is a big brother for him while at the same time to face the difficult side when Junichi change not for the better and the connection between Yurika and both of them. While all of this happening in the show, all of the MC still have a strong bond between them and continue this bond till time pass.

For character development, they're trying to push realism tone over the typical animated tropes you tend to see in most high school romance anime. You noticed the character's personal lives are shown in a way which can be din fined as real whether it's a tragic, cheerful, or sad , we see the histories of the main characters which can be related to us even if it take place in 1960s.

For the characters in the show, we have Kaoru, who is very reversed, smart, and has the talents to play the Piano. On the opposite end, you have Sentaro who is seen as a tough guy with a soft sport, who like to pick fight but at the same time will protects the one who is very values to his friendship. Finally there's Ritsuko. She is the cheerful girl who try to build bridges of friendship with friends and tend to be well liked. Unfortunately, inside lies a somewhat insecure girl and somtime jealous of other ability and you see it in some episodes in the show.

As you continue watching the show, many other characters enter the scene that have different personalities and also not who they appear to be as some will have some hidden past which will cause tension with the MC.

As for the animation, it's very simple in design with more into CG which lack some detail. It get the job done without any issue but don't expect to see detail work.

Overall, it's a school coming-of-age style show which is a much better type from what I saw.

AdmiredCircularCaterpillar-small.gif
original.gif
fff98b36358164fe7c1fb9065be1e753.gif
tumblr_mrzaih29gP1sznfdio1_500.gif
tumblr_m2w6l27jrs1r9ilzto1_500.gif

O-N-E

Vinland's Canute is laughable now.

Bizarre that the general reaction seems to be, "wow what wonderful character progression".

Yeah, shy helpless crybaby to edgelord commander in the span of one afternoon.

Meanwhile, Thorfinn (main character supposedly?) has remained the same for 20 episodes.

This makes me wonder if Planetes is all it's cracked up to be.

Mista

Banned

Bizarre that the general reaction seems to be, "wow what wonderful character progression".

Meanwhile, Thorfinn (main character supposedly?) has remained the same for 20 episodes.

You can’t compare Canute with Thorfinn! You serious? Thorfinn saw his father, his idol get murdered infront of him as a kid. You expect to grow with a cute heart? Canute change of personality is unrealistic but the idea behind it is that the battlefield can change anything

O-N-E

You can’t compare Canute with Thorfinn! You serious? Thorfinn saw his father, his idol get murdered infront of him as a kid. You expect to grow with a cute heart? Canute change of personality is unrealistic but the idea behind it is that the battlefield can change anything

I didn't say how I expected Thorfinn to change, just that there should be "some" kind of progression.

Regardless of how it's spun, Canute's change is clumsy and ends up looking ridiculous.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ascendance of a Book Worm is a lot better than I thought it would be. The initial animation style I saw on the cover looked low quality, but it is surprisingly enjoyable show.

Because I watched all the current episodes, I started the manga. The manga translations are only up to 31 though and I'm now caught up.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Aah so you have checked out Fire Force and My Hero. Have you checked out Dr. Stone? One Punch Man?

@SLoWMoTIoN 's recommendation is very far off from what you've so far said you've liked.

Finally finished Brotherhood, what a ride. Great series and I caught up with Fire Force that is also quickly becoming better and better for me. There are a couple of eye roll scenes for sure but I am enjoying it.

I will take your recommendation and give Dr. Stone another chance after that

Trojita

Finally finished Brotherhood, what a ride. Great series and I caught up with Fire Force that is also quickly becoming better and better for me. There are a couple of eye roll scenes for sure but I am enjoying it.

I will take your recommendation and give Dr. Stone another chance after that
Nice!

You were saying that comedies are hit and miss for you right? Have you tried Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo? What are your opinions on baseball games and park benches?

Shouta

Ascendance of a Book Worm is a lot better than I thought it would be. The initial animation style I saw on the cover looked low quality, but it is surprisingly enjoyable show.

Because I watched all the current episodes, I started the manga. The manga translations are only up to 31 though and I'm now caught up.

That's been on my reading list for awhile. I'll have to check it out

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Considering his personality changed to pussy yes.

Mista

Banned
Ahiru no Sora E10

Nothing special but the next episode is going to be wild. Also Chiaki is a fucking legend🤣

bronk

Banned
Does anyone watch Ace of the Diamond? It's a baseball anime. The second to last episode a Japanese team played an American team. They had all the Americans voiced in english. It was some of the worst english I've heard in a long time, I couldn't stop laughing. They had ultra American names for players and the pitcher's name was Weed. Lol

Last edited:

Nightrunner

Does anyone watch Ace of the Diamond? It's a baseball anime. The second to last episode a Japanese team played an American team. They had all the Americans voiced in english. It was some of the worst english I've heard in a long time, I couldn't stop laughing. They had ultra American names for players and the pitcher's name was Weed. Lol
Yeah Ace of Diamond is really fun. Btw quite a few shows have terrible Engrish kinda like this scene in Black Lagoon.

Regardless of how it's spun, Canute's change is clumsy and ends up looking ridiculous.
One of my main gripes with anime and JRPG fans is how they overvalue character development. Like make every character become a better human over the span of the story and it goes straight to best anime/JRPG of all time.

Imo, character development isn't even required at all for a story to be good.

Last edited:

Fbh

Is Seven Deadly Sins worth watching ?

IMO it was good at first but got increasingly worse with each new arc. The latest (and I think final?) arc in particular has been terrible

Yeah. I like Vinland Saga but the way some characters change is too extreme, feels less like a slow and gradual evolution and more of a 180º change from one moment to the other.
Planetes is fucking amazing though (at least the Manga, haven't watched the anime but I've been told it's heavily altered), it's one of the few works of fiction which has had me look and my life and choices moving forward in a slightly different way.

You haven’t seen anything ;)

Watched Diamond is unbreakable and it was pretty good. Stardust was still better imo. Started watching Golden wind, but thus far it hasn't really pulled me in. Maybe it'll get better.

Stardust crusaders is Araki's magnum opus. The build up from the previous parts really elevated it. It'll be pretty hard to top.

Mista

Banned
Watched Diamond is unbreakable and it was pretty good. Stardust was still better imo. Started watching Golden wind, but thus far it hasn't really pulled me in. Maybe it'll get better.

Stardust crusaders is Araki's magnum opus. The build up from the previous parts really elevated it. It'll be pretty hard to top.
I can’t disagree. After finishing part 5 I hope you switch to the manga and continue

Nightrunner

I finished watching Obsolete (Urobutcher's newest anime) on Youtube Premium. It ends up feeling more like a prologue because of its format (6 episodes, 11 mins each) but it did give me MGS vibes throughout. The CG visuals are decent and the world they depicted was kinda interesting. This is not a strong recommendation but if you have nothing to watch and an hour to kill watching Obsolete is a pretty good way to do so

Last edited:

Trojita

Watching four ongoing anime’s at the same time is too much for me. Damn am I getting old?
lol this season has actually been a wonderful joy to me with how many watchable shows are airing. I'm watching around 15 currently airing shows, and there are some left that I either still have yet to start or I'm not current on, which would make the total number around 20 at least. This season has been a treat.

Mista

Banned
lol this season has actually been a wonderful joy to me with how many watchable shows are airing. I'm watching around 15 currently airing shows, and there are some left that I either still have yet to start or I'm not current on, which would make the total number around 20 at least. This season has been a treat.
You mad bruv?! FIFTEEEEEENNNNN?!😭 Please don’t tell me you’re one of those fellas that watches those shite school anime with horny boys and girls😂

Long story short, youtube rabbit hole led me to Junji Itou. I've asked my wife to get me the Uzumaki, Tomie, Gyo trilogy for Christmas. I'll buy it myself if she doesn't. Does anyone have any Itou recommendations outside of those or similar works by similar artists? I'm excited to dive in.

Trojita

You mad bruv?! FIFTEEEEEENNNNN?!😭 Please don’t tell me you’re one of those fellas that watches those shite school anime with horny boys and girls😂
I'll have you know that ORESUKI is a wholesome anime about park benches and baseball games!

Top Bottom