• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CcrooK said:
So....Kaibutsu Oujo...worth giving it a try? I figured chick with a chainsaw. Why the hell not.
Harem anime for kids that plays it safe.
Tamanon said:
Alright, I know I'm way behind on this, but just watchd Code Geass episode 20 on adultswim.com. Awesome episode. Seeing those two fight together was great, even if it was to the weird vocal track.:lol Looks like there's some excitement coming up judging by the titles! "Bloodstained Euphie"
Oh boy...

rykomatsu

CcrooK said:
So....Kaibutsu Oujo...worth giving it a try? I figured chick with a chainsaw. Why the hell not.

if chick w/ chainsaw is a qualifier for you, then you should watch Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu...

LowParry

rykomatsu said:
if chick w/ chainsaw is a qualifier for you, then you should watch Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu...

I actually have watched the first few episodes of that. Seems promising.

mAcOdIn said:
Yeah, I really like the show, so if I have to wait until I can understand enough Japanese to get by, well that'll be a while and there's really no interest from anyone to localize it either.

Good news, it seems that the group subbing it hasn't actually dropped it... they dropped the rest of their in-progress projects, but not Allison & Lillia. Evidently episodes 16-18 have been translated and are in progress. :)

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Good news, it seems that the group subbing it hasn't actually dropped it... they dropped the rest of their in-progress projects, but not Allison & Lillia. Evidently episodes 16-18 have been translated and are in progress. :)
Thanks, episode 16 was a present surprise waiting for me just now when I got off work.

rykomatsu

now, Lelouch has a sword for no apparent reason...

r2_23-01.jpg

ep23 wasn't as bad as 21/22

Viletta's now pregnant, looks like sayoko+orange/kallen+gino will hook up, and overall it's just a great big mess...nina's come full circle (what?) to try to redeem herself, cornelia is shot by schneizel, etc...it's still as big a clusterfuck as before
...yet, somehow ep23 actually managed to be atleast half mediocre.

NeonZ

now, Lelouch has a sword for no apparent reason...

Why not? He's the emperor, he can have whatever he wants.

Besides the pacing and the characterization issues that leaded to
the black knights joining Schnezeil
, I really don't think Code Geass is anything like a trainwreck.

It isn't a deep series, in the sense that the characterization isn't really explored, beyond giving a basic reason for the actions or personality of some of the main players, and most characters were created for the rule of cool, but the characterization of most of them is fairly direct and most of their changes is clearly explained on screen (though sometimes those changes lack foreshadowing outside of supplemental material, like
Orange's
).

Macross Frontier is so awful. Ranka is one of the worst characters ever in an anime. Everything is only made worse by the potential this show had before it became trashy trash that is fuckin garbage.

rykomatsu

Wagaya no Oinarisama ended :(
no plot, but overall really fun/great character design and the day-to-day antics were very entertaining/cute. Don't think they could have picked a better VA for Tenko, than Yukana. Really satisfied with the series...hoping there's another season eventually :)

LowParry

Yeah, little late on seeing Code Geass Ep. 23. Meh.

On a site note:
Cornelia shot by a random placed turrent in a war room?
:lol

vareon

CcrooK said:
Cornelia shot by a random placed turrent in a war room?
:lol

:lol :lol

I missed the political conflicts in Code Geass. The tactical battle in ep 23 was quite entertaining even though it made no sense to me, but the random turret almost killed the episode. Looks like it came out of Excel Saga or something similar, and Schneizel activated it with a single finger snap! WIN

Why do fansubbers do this?

2eupim9.jpg

Can't people educate themselves anymore or something? It's not even something meant to be translated.
I'm seriously starting to think in the future we'll see notes explaining plot points.

Dascu

Regulus Tera said:
They do it cause they want to seem cultured and shit.

Also people, Chiko 17 & 18 are subbed. Go watch them.
Ep 16 was pretty horrible, and after duckroll's impressions, I think I'll just drop Chiko.

Now where the hell are my Golgo13 subs.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Prime crotch said:
Why do fansubbers do this?

http://i37.tinypic.com/2eupim9.jpg

Can't people educate themselves anymore or something? It's not even something meant to be translated.
I'm seriously starting to think in the future we'll see notes explaining plot points.
More to the point, who doesn't know what "non" means? Even if you know absolutely no french and never picked up the random word or two from tv/movies it's still used as an english prefix with basically the same meaning.

RobertM

jman2050 said:
Others have answered this question well enough, but to reiterate, the plot progression and character motivations are extremely inconsistent, if they even made sense in the first place. Character actions and feelings are completely dictated by what would be the most "shocking" or most "dramatic" occurance based on the situation. As a result, character development is nonexistent, as any event that would serve to flesh out a character ultimately fails because it gets contradicted by something that happens later. Lelouch in particular jumps around wildly from being brilliant and cunning, to whiny and helpless, to caring and understanding, to coldhearted and ruthless, many times within a single episode! This is NOT complex characterization. This is basically a faceless avatar that warps itself based on the situation. Basically, the whole show is a vehicle for the Rule of Cool.

Not that there's anything wrong with that in many cases, but what really sets everything apart if that the entire show plays itself completely straight. Despite the fact that nothing makes sense anymore, the show attempts to present itself as a serious thought-provoking action-filled drama, when it is anything but. Forum posters debate about the show and its characters all the time, not because the show is filled with deep and complex plot points and characterizations, but because nothing is ever presented clearly and the whole thing just doesn't make a lot of sense, thus no one really knows what's going on. The (probably intended) side effect is that it makes the whole thing really entertaining to watch, as much of the enjoyment comes from watching something so audacious present itself so seriously.

Is this good enough?
And that's why I like him over Light, he shows his human traits. He has instabilities and sometimes his emotions are clouded and so are his goals, but to say that he's faceless avatar is misconceiving the nature of the character.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Triad are worth it though.

I recently sat down and watched Natsume Yuujinchou when a friend brought it over. Can't believe I missed something like that.. it's like a light-hearted version of Mushishi, but still has its very sad moments.

Epcott

Linkzg said:
Macross Frontier is so awful. Ranka is one of the worst characters ever in an anime. Everything is only made worse by the potential this show had before it became trashy trash that is fuckin garbage.

Yipes, is it really that bad?
I hope the music doesn't get as cheesy as Macross 7.

On a side note... I had taken a break from the dl of anime, I just feel bad about it and my pc was on the fritz. But Adult Swim has changed Moribito and Code Geass to the 5 & 5:30am slots (I don't have DVR).

That really sucks. Guess it's back to being bad, and maybe Sci-Fi

:(

Is there a good site to stream this stuff from (besides Adult Swim's main site)? Actually... I need sites, period lol

Epcott said:

On a side note... I had taken a break from the dl of anime, I just feel bad about it and my pc was on the fritz. But Adult Swim has changed Moribito and Code Geass to the 5 & 5:30am slots (I don't have DVR).

That really sucks. Guess it's back to being bad, and maybe Sci-Fi

:(

Is there a good site to stream this stuff from (besides Adult Swim's main site)? Actually... I need sites, period lol
I'm pretty sure you can watch every new episode on Adult Swim's site. Think they only keep them up for a week though.

zurra

Epcott said:
At least Basara was entertaining. Ranka just makes you want to shoot yourself in the face 99% of the time. The show has taken a big nosedive ever since the focus moved from space fights (Konig Monster!!!) to her.

Linkzg said:
There is a sing off at one point between two idols. It ain't good.
Not to mention the musics suck, I haven't watched it since episode 15 due to the increase on ecchi hijinks but the music was really bad. And to think I was so hooked on it at the start.

Tamanon

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
I'm pretty sure you can watch every new episode on Adult Swim's site. Think they only keep them up for a week though.

Ya, I've been watching them online. School Festival episode was bizarre.:lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
mAcOdIn said:
Seirei no Morobito I'm so buying, but why the fuck at 5am???? Video on Demand can't come soon enough.
Oh so Moribito looks like it'll cop a DVD release? Nice. I was worried it'll never happen due to the whole Geneon debacle.

Heh just checked. It was saved back in March. God I'm slow.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
speedpop said:
Oh so Moribito looks like it'll cop a DVD release? Nice. I was worried it'll never happen due to the whole Geneon debacle.

Heh just checked. It was saved back in March. God I'm slow.
I also noticed they managed to get the rest of Black Lagoon out the door.

zurra

Well, Macross 24 was actually pretty good.
Love, drama, good space fight (though some SMS action would have been cool), giant hologram...

It actually felt like Macross! :D

Decado

Anyone have much luck playing anime on your PS3? It always gets fucked up when I convert the MKV files (aspect resolution changes on me).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ha ha ha, wow. Macross Frontier 24 just became awesome.

I hope they go through with
Alto being dead
. That would be an amazing way to resolve a love triangle.

Cloudy

Banned
WTF did I just watch in Macross 24? Not saying it was bad but WTF?

Also, anyone who didn't see Macross Zero would be lost. Hell, I saw Macross Zero and I'm still kind of lost :lol

Defuser

geass 24 is wtfisthisshit?!?

This is surpassing the shittiness of Seed Destiny of bringing char back from the dead. Guilford is fucking alive?!? He managed to survived inside a fucking superior nuclear blast?!!?

Defuser said:
geass 24 is wtfisthisshit?!?

This is surpassing the shittiness of Seed Destiny of bringing char back from the dead. Guilford is fucking alive?!? He managed to survived inside a fucking superior nuclear blast?!!?

Thanks for spoiling it for me. Appreciate it. WTF!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom