• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AnimeAddictsAssociated of NeoGAF - Top Three Selections

After avoiding the beloved Japanese animated art form for the longest time since adolescence, I recently decided to return from exile and partake alongside my otaku-addicted peers. One of the reasons anime no longer held my interest was due to enormous selection of shows and associated media available. It had reached a breaking point when spin-offs were starting to birth their own spin-offs, and with them came additional characters and emerging storylines. Didn't help too that anime wasn't widely available through conventional broadcasting or streaming platforms, not free anime anyway. I'm ashamed to admit illegitimate hosting websites were my domain (pun intended) and most of them would succumb to closure due to copyright infringement laws.

In recent times there have been interesting developments, especially when Sony Pictures purchased one of the largest names in anime distribution, that being Funimation. People outside of Japan and East Asia were all too familiar with their translation and audio-dubbing services, and then the plot thickened even further when Funimation purchased their main competitor Crunchyroll! Once the Funimation brand is phased out, Crunchyroll will become the number one destination for anime, manga and associated media, and I rode this wave of activity via an account on the service and consequently this thread. The number one reason I stayed away from anime however is that it was painful and bittersweet for me to watch, in that I was yearning for my childhood when times were much simpler and more free. But since I've seen so many people watching anime well into middle age and beyond, it's reignited a desire to continue an old passion.

I'm aware there's an anime community on NeoGAF as evidenced by the threads and avatars (Looking at you NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt , Fuz Fuz , Tams Tams , pramod pramod , Danjin44 Danjin44 , saintjules saintjules ). To the AnimeAddictsAssociated of NeoGAF, I'm looking for recommendations and opinions on your top trinity of anime shows of all time.

There are some rules to make things interesting:
  • ONLY THREE SELECTIONS AT MAXIMUM. Trim the best from the rest.
  • Ongoing or completed shows are both allowed.
  • Spin-offs are their own separate shows.
  • You must have watched them, duh!
  • Japanese productions only.
Mine:

3 - Vampire Knight
MV5BOTlkM2VhYzQtODAwYi00MWRhLThlYWItZjdmOGNlYzRkYjRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc3MjQzNTI@._V1_.jpg

For some strange reason I remember being fond of this. Think of Twilight and teenage vampires, only Japanese and the protagonist not being irritating. The opening song is awesome too, though I haven't a clue what the singer is saying.

2 - Death Note
p225665_b_v9_ab.jpg
220px-Death_Note_%28film%29_poster.jpeg
Death_Note_2_The_Last_Name_poster.jpeg

One of the most original and thought-provoking anime series of all time. Death is a constant shadow in all of our lives, but with Death Note we can at least make a difference. There were some Japanese films that were equally awesome.

1 - Naruto
MV5BMDI3ZDY4MDgtN2U2OS00Y2YzLWJmZmYtZWMzOTM3YWFjYmUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjAwNDUxODI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Naruto could be the most popular anime show of all time (though One Piece would like a word) and it's largely due to goofy protagonist Naruto Uzumaki. As he matured and progressed, so did we as children, and it was wholesome throughout.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I'm not well versed enough to make objective selections but if I had to pick three favs:

El-Hazard
Lupin III
Monster

I actually only got back into anime a few years ago so I'm catching up on a lot of stuff especially the classics since so many series are finally getting good western releases.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Always tough to make top3-5-10 lists, I'm neglecting dozens of gems that are just as good, but I'll try anyway:

bGBWuB3.png

1QIBoNx.png

RY1Q4MU.png

Edit: Forgive the crude cut-paste job, couldn't be bothered to do it better right now.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Too many to name but I'll give you 2 series and an OVA.

1. Ranma 1/2 TV
jHIz9ix.gif

2. Gunsmith Cats OVA (wish it had been a series as the manga had so much more to tell)
nPPNZA9.gif

3. The Slayers TV (the 1st TV run was my favorite. Next was good. Try...kinda. The spin-offs...no comment.)
4xIUFUw.gif

I'm not well versed enough to make objective selections but if I had to pick three favs:

El-Hazard
Lupin III
Monster

I actually only got back into anime a few years ago so I'm catching up on a lot of stuff especially the classics since so many series are finally getting good western releases.
Monster.jpeg

Monster was one of the most recommended anime I came across as I was researching the best. Since it's a completed series, I will hopefully be watching on Crunchyroll, assuming they made it available in my region...
Always tough to make top3-5-10 lists, I'm neglecting dozens of gems that are just as good, but I'll try anyway:

bGBWuB3.png

1QIBoNx.png

RY1Q4MU.png

Edit: Forgive the crude cut-paste job, couldn't be bothered to do it better right now.
Haven't heard of a single one, but it's your list of the best and I can respect that. I'm assuming the score in the last one is from an anime rating website?
Attack on Titan
Gunbuster
Hokuto no Ken
Attack on Titan is well known throughout the West, I'm aware there's a movie adaptation out there with actual Titan dong.
I'm old...
1)

2)

Something newer...

3)

Absolutely nothing wrong with older anime. Give me the best in your humble opinion.

SirTerry-T

Monster.jpeg

Monster was one of the most recommended anime I came across as I was researching the best. Since it's a completed series, I will hopefully be watching on Crunchyroll, assuming they made it available in my region...

Haven't heard of a single one, but it's your list of the best and I can respect that. I'm assuming the score in the last one is from an anime rating website?

Attack on Titan is well known throughout the West, I'm aware there's a movie adaptation out there with actual Titan dong.

Absolutely nothing wrong with older anime. Give me the best in your humble opinion.
Best? Well the top two I listed are certainly worth your time. Some of the animation cuts in those older OVA's are absolutely insane.

I'd also add Your Under Arrest, Gunbuster, Record of Lodoss War and Patlabor to that list too.

I'm sure others on here far more well versed in the artform than I will give you some great recommendations too :)

Last edited:

Doom85

(Keeping it to series available on Crunchyroll since OP said they got an account there)

1. Cowboy Bebop

cowboy bebop eating GIF
driving cowboy bebop GIF
cowboy bebop dog GIF
cowboy bebop GIF

2. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

fullmetal alchemist fighting GIF
fullmetal alchemist GIF

Gurren Lagann

animes GIF
GIF by Funimation

And that’s it. Only three series…….

…….BUT if you want even more….

(takes deep breath) you also should watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, Baccano!, Paranoia Agent, Kino’s Journey, Steins Gate, Samurai Champloo, Welcome to the NHK, Code Geass, Eureka Seven, Attack on Titan, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Black Lagoon, Tatami Galaxy, Gankutsuou: Count of Monte Cristo, A Silent Voice, Mushishi, Eden of the East, Space Dandy, Great Pretender, Land of the Lustrous, SSSS Gridman, Spy x Family, etc. Yes, a good deal of these aren’t on Crunchyroll, it’s why I’m glad I have always bought DVDs and now BRs to make sure I always have access to so much great anime (granted, in the 2000s and earlier legal streaming wasn’t even a thing), and even most modern anime on Crunchyroll will eventually leave as streaming rights only last for so long unless the company wants to pay to renew (mind you, that will probably be QUITE a few years, but it will happen eventually

kunonabi

Monster.jpeg

My only question with Monster on streaming is whether or not it keeps the original score since they replaced it when they brought it west previously.

(Keeping it to series available on Crunchyroll since OP said they got an account there)

1. Cowboy Bebop

cowboy bebop eating GIF
driving cowboy bebop GIF
cowboy bebop dog GIF
cowboy bebop GIF

fullmetal alchemist GIF

Gurren Lagann

animes GIF
GIF by Funimation

(takes deep breath) you also should watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, Baccano!, Paranoia Agent, Kino’s Journey, Steins Gate, Samurai Champloo, Welcome to the NHK, Code Geass, Eureka Seven, Attack on Titan, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Black Lagoon, Tatami Galaxy, Gankutsuou: Count of Monte Cristo, A Silent Voice, Mushishi, Eden of the East, Space Dandy, Great Pretender, Land of the Lustrous, SSSS Gridman, Spy x Family, etc. Yes, a good deal of these aren’t on Crunchyroll, it’s why I’m glad I have always bought DVDs and now BRs to make sure I always have access to so much great anime (granted, in the 2000s and earlier legal streaming wasn’t even a thing), and even most modern anime on Crunchyroll will eventually leave as streaming rights only last for so long unless the company wants to pay to renew (mind you, that will probably be QUITE a few years, but it will happen eventually

Great taste in anime. I watched most of those except Baccano!

Gurren Lagaan
iX8lEeH.jpg

Ghost In The Shell SAC Season 1 and 2
ZpgaxLw.jpg
We have another vote for Gurren Lagaan. I remember this anime as a child back in 2008, but didn't get into it. You've mentioned Ghost in the Shell, I'm assuming you petitioned against Scarlett Johansson in the live-action movie?
Hunter X Hunter 1999 NOT 2011

That's incredibly surprising to see, as I researched the highest rated anime and Hunter x Hunter 2011 was near the top.
Would have thown Riding Bean in too but seemed like OP wanted mostly series...
VZstyvA.gif
Sorry my man, but we're spoilt when it comes to anime series alone. Last we need is more selections ;)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
We have another vote for Gurren Lagaan. I remember this anime as a child back in 2008, but didn't get into it. You've mentioned Ghost in the Shell, I'm assuming you petitioned against Scarlett Johansson in the live-action movie?

That's incredibly surprising to see, as I researched the highest rated anime and Hunter x Hunter 2011 was near the top.

Sorry my man, but we're spoilt when it comes to anime series alone. Last we need is more selections ;)
Yessir. Some biggies haven't been listed but I'm sure they'll be posted soon enough.

I'm surprised to see not a single person has mentioned Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Pretty much every single website I went to had this thing at the very top.

That means something:
MV5BNTM4MzMxMWItYzc3NC00ODY0LTg0M2MtYjg4NDg0ZjM0MjdiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjAwNDUxODI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Last edited:

With Gurren Lagaan, it also has my number 1 WAIFU of all time: Yoko Littner 😏 😜 😛

As for the Ghost In The Shell Live-Action Movie, I was iffy on the casting choice since I think Scarlett Johansson isn't a good actress. But I went in with an open mind and ended up loving the film. Hugely underrated and I thought they did a fantastic job getting the setting right and it felt like the anime

Doom85

Great taste in anime. I watched most of those except Baccano!

Baccano! is such a treat. Granted, I’m a sucker for stories set on a train (Baccano does time jump around, but roughly 60-70% of the anime follows a bunch of characters on a train ride in the 1930’s where shit gets crazy) but it is legit awesome. Also has a dub that even the most hardcore dub haters will admit kicks ass, the comedic duo of Issac and Miria are particularly well done as well as the joyfully psychotic hitman Ladd Russo.

Just make sure to give it two episodes if you ever give it a try, as episode one is rather slow and due to the semi-non-chronological method of storytelling the show does it might not be clear what to expect, but episode two hooks just about everyone.

Doom85

I'm surprised to see not a single person has mentioned Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Pretty much every single website I went to had this thing at the very top. That means something:

MV5BNTM4MzMxMWItYzc3NC00ODY0LTg0M2MtYjg4NDg0ZjM0MjdiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjAwNDUxODI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Sad Michael Scott GIF

…maybe you have me on ignore? Or were you already typing this before I posted?

I'm surprised to see not a single person has mentioned Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Pretty much every single website I went to had this thing at the very top.

That means something:

I read the manga and finished that

I watched the OG FMA and loved that one despite having issues later on with the deviations

I have to watch Brotherhood but everytime I watch it, I'm disappointed by the lack of a memorable OST compared to the OG FMA. It's kind of a turn off for me really

1. Cowboy Bebop

cowboy bebop eating GIF
driving cowboy bebop GIF
cowboy bebop dog GIF
cowboy bebop GIF

fullmetal alchemist GIF

Gurren Lagann

animes GIF
GIF by Funimation

Sad Michael Scott GIF

…maybe you have me on ignore? Or were you already typing this before I posted?

My bad Doom. Should have refreshed the page to see the newer comments. You don't have to base your submissions on my behalf, I want YOUR best anime of all time. Besides, you actually took the time to read the OP, when most people would simply not bother and you tailored the submissions to me.
giphy.gif

I'm assuming most of the anime ever created is in some corner of the web. Don't those disks take up a lot of space? I mean anime as a genre moves incredibly fast and whilst I'm typing this, another 1000 episodes have come out. It's the main reason I limited the count to 3, to make sure the best of the best is submitted.
My only question with Monster on streaming is whether or not it keeps the original score since they replaced it when they brought it west previously.
I'm not too bothered about those things. As long as the material is the same then I'll watch. It was in the top 5 of many websites and since it's concluded and interesting, I might check it out.
With Gurren Lagaan, it also has my number 1 WAIFU of all time: Yoko Littner 😏 😜 😛

As for the Ghost In The Shell Live-Action Movie, I was iffy on the casting choice since I think Scarlett Johansson isn't a good actress. But I went in with an open mind and ended up loving the film. Hugely underrated and I thought they did a fantastic job getting the setting right and it felt like the anime
I assumed you would trash the movie as diehard fans often don't give adaptations a chance, especially Western ones lol.
I read the manga and finished that

I watched the OG FMA and loved that one despite having issues later on with the deviations

I have to watch Brotherhood but everytime I watch it, I'm disappointed by the lack of a memorable OST compared to the OG FMA. It's kind of a turn off for me really
I was familiar with the original many years ago and never took an interest. Now that I see Brotherhood at the top of these lists, I have to check it out. But you've made me doubtful, so I have to watch the original AND Brotherhood. Well that's just wonderful.

Doom85

I'm assuming most of the anime ever created is in some corner of the web. Don't those disks take up a lot of space?

Yeah, I did go nuts back in the day in terms of disc collecting, but mind you that was before the convenience of legal streaming was a thing. Nowadays I try (may not always succeed, LOL) to limit new anime Blu-Ray purchases to ones I’m absolutely positive I always want access to.

Yeah, I did go nuts back in the day in terms of disc collecting, but mind you that was before the convenience of legal streaming was a thing. Nowadays I try (may not always succeed, LOL) to limit new anime Blu-Ray purchases to ones I’m absolutely positive I always want access to.
Assuming the purchases are still going then that's a huge collection. I would trim down the series that aren't as memorable and widely available online and keep the special ones strictly on physical media.

Doom85

Assuming the purchases are still going then that's a huge collection. I would trim down the series that aren't as memorable and widely available online and keep the special ones strictly on physical media.

I did sell some series these last few years that either I thought were just okay or maybe even good but I wouldn’t rewatch them, plus some I knew I’d probably never get around to (the website RightStuf sometimes did INSANE sales on anime, so I admittedly blind bought quite a few series that I looked back later and thought, “…..why?”). Don’t worry, I don’t have a “Hoarders” situation going despite collecting a lot of anime and also manga. It helps I have a nice sized walk in closet that I don’t really need for clothes as 80% of my clothing fits in one dresser just fine, so I can store plenty of stuff there.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm assuming most of these have English dubs? It's not a deterrent but the kids like English even though I keep preaching to them about original Japanese dubs.

kunonabi

I'm assuming most of these have English dubs? It's not a deterrent but the kids like English even though I keep preaching to them about original Japanese dubs.

El-Hazard has a dub which I vastly prefer to the japanese

A lot of lupin is dubbed with an excellent cast but not all of it.

Monster had a dub but I don't know if they did the whole thing since I refused to listen to the butchered score. That said, the setting does lend itself to a potentially excellent dub.

slade

Outside of series like One Piece, to which I was plot committed, I had not watched much new stuff over the last ten years. However, over the past few months I binged a bunch of series that I've missed out onq. The two anime that stood out to me were Psycho Pass and Jobless Reincarnation. That second one leans a little too heavily onto otaku tropes so YMMV. Has a really good fantasy isekai story though.

ranmafan

Just three, tough to choose even if I had the option for ten, but if I had to pick three:

1. Ranma 1/2 - I mean look at my username it’s not a surprise it’s here. One of the funniest and enjoyable anime series I’ve ever seen. I love the works of Rumiko Takahashi but this one is special to me. Great characters, great action, and hilarious at times. Will always be my favorite.

2. The Vision of Escaflowne - the classic fantasy mech anime that really seems to be forgotten by many. Amazing music by Yoko Kanno, a great story and fantastic world. Even if you don’t like mech shows, there is tons to like in this one.

3. Mobile Suit Gundam - The original series that started the saga. It has just about everything you could want in a great show. And it leads to even some better sequel series and all down the line. But the whole story of Amuro and Char starts here and it’s still well worth a watch.

YCoCg

MV5BYWE3YmU5NTEtYzExMC00OWY3LTg4ZTgtMTMyNDZhNmFlNGY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjAwNDUxODI@._V1_.jpg

Seriously, despite it looks the story is too damn good and the ending is an actual surprise, you don't get that many anime's that focus on older protagonists so here you follow the events of a taxi driver in his mid-40s who gets caught up in a plot crossed between kidnapping and a bank heist.

lachesis

These 3 are my choices. There are others mentioned here (like Gundam series - especially U.C. ones - or later ones like Gurren Lagan etc, so foregoing it)
I'm pretty old school when it comes to anime - and these 3, especially 1st two - Tomorrow's Joe and Touch had emotionally touched me the most in my youth.

RavageX

In no order. Bebop would be on the list but is already named.

Jojos bizarre adventure. There's several of the stardust crusaders, one being a 90s ova. Stardust is my fav, but the whole thing seems worth watching. Kids these days are meming it to death though.

City Hunter, tv and most of the movies. It does get very repetitive, but i really enjoyed it.

90s Berserk. Wish it had kept going. The new stuff was ok? Maybe?

thefool

Some stuff not yet mentioned that deserve praise.

1 - Legend of Galactic Heroes
One of the few pieces of media that lived up to its hype. A space opera epic about a war between the autocratic Empire and the democratic Rebellion Alliance. Told, mostly, through the perspective of two characters, LOGH is populated by dozens of characters, all with strong personalities and with time to shine adding to the vastness of the story. While most stories fall into the banality of good vs evil, LOGH is neutral, showcasing the (many) shortcomings of both sides.

68316569c09ad5898d425667fe4532313105d92f_hq.gif

2- Patlabor TV
While I think Oshii work on Patlabor (both the OVA and the films) are actually the best the franchise has to offer, the og tv show is probably one of the comfiest shows made. A procedural tv show about a group of cops who pilot gigantic robots called Labors. Its more on the light side, displaying the daily life of a normal group of people who handle these gigantic vheicles to fight crime but also deal with the most mundane stuff.

tumblr_mzt1kcdOQV1s5oxc0o1_500.gif

3- Devilman The Birth (OVA)
Devilman is one of the most influential mangas of all time, and while the OVA was extremely popular back in the day, I think time made us forget how it is probably the best adaptation of a manga, a perfect display of Nagai panels, with some incredible animation, immaculate direction and a beautiful Kawai soundtrack.

87643c7fd6fb1e218c67bfdc6ba9a8e08b86255c.gif

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
My 3 are a pretty predictable bunch but here we go my 3 blu-ray picks.
gsjbkEf.jpg

3. Violet Evergarden

one of the most phenomenally beautiful series produced to this day, excellent character drama which goes out of it's way to pull on your heart strings. The series, OVA and movie's expand on this giving a complete story.

2. Mobile Suit Gundam : Unicorn

This series gets it, everything that Gundam is, politics, character drama, mech battles this one excels at. Taking place within the main UC timeline the new cast work incredibly well as the protagonist works along multiple opposing factions to discover what he wants to fight for... also the battles... only thunderbolt does it better and not by much, but as a sum of its parts I find it very hard to criticise Unicorn.

1. Clannad

Life changing, you will come out the otherside feeling like a different person by the end of season 2, not many pieces of media can have this effect on people never mind in anime.

Kept to series given the thread, if it was movies it would look quite different.

Last edited:
Death Note
JoJo
Overlord
I'm accustomed to Death Note and have seen JoJo mentioned on a couple lists. Overlord is an interesting submission as it's on Crunchyroll main page so I'm assuming it's ongoing.
Outside of series like One Piece, to which I was plot committed, I had not watched much new stuff over the last ten years. However, over the past few months I binged a bunch of series that I've missed out onq. The two anime that stood out to me were Psycho Pass and Jobless Reincarnation. That second one leans a little too heavily onto otaku tropes so YMMV. Has a really good fantasy isekai story though.
Plot-commited to One Piece? Good luck with that one lol.
Just three, tough to choose even if I had the option for ten, but if I had to pick three:

1. Ranma 1/2 - I mean look at my username it’s not a surprise it’s here. One of the funniest and enjoyable anime series I’ve ever seen. I love the works of Rumiko Takahashi but this one is special to me. Great characters, great action, and hilarious at times. Will always be my favorite.

2. The Vision of Escaflowne - the classic fantasy mech anime that really seems to be forgotten by many. Amazing music by Yoko Kanno, a great story and fantastic world. Even if you don’t like mech shows, there is tons to like in this one.

3. Mobile Suit Gundam - The original series that started the saga. It has just about everything you could want in a great show. And it leads to even some better sequel series and all down the line. But the whole story of Amuro and Char starts here and it’s still well worth a watch.
That's the whole point, it's supposed to be challenging baby! If I gave you endless submissions then this thread would be overflowing with crap. We have another vote for Mobile Suit Gundam, though I'm not personally interested in the whole mecha-anime that people rave about.
Only three, huh? Let's see...

Last Exile
Baccano
Monster

I'll cheat a little and add three anime movies to the list:

Redline
My Neighbour Totoro
The Place Promised in our Early Days
And another vote for Monster. That has come up a couple times in this thread and definitely on my watchlist. Appears to be some cop noir drama which I'm all for. Also, I would expect nothing but cheating from somebody called "Darth" lol.
My 3 are a pretty predictable bunch but here we go my 3 blu-ray picks.
gsjbkEf.jpg

3. Violet Evergarden

one of the most phenomenally beautiful series produced to this day, excellent character drama which goes out of it's way to pull on your heart strings. The series, OVA and movie's expand on this giving a complete story.

2. Mobile Suit Gundam : Unicorn

This series gets it, everything that Gundam is, politics, character drama, mech battles this one excels at. Taking place within the main UC timeline the new cast work incredibly well as the protagonist works along multiple opposing factions to discover what he wants to fight for... also the battles... only thunderbolt does it better and not by much, but as a sum of its parts I find it very hard to criticise Unicorn.

1. Clannad

Life changing, you will come out the otherside feeling like a different person by the end of season 2, not many pieces of media can have this effect on people never mind in anime.

Kept to series given the thread, if it was movies it would look quite different.

We have something new in the form of Violet Evergarden and it's a name I'm familiar with as I saw it on some list. Supposed to be WWI shown through the eyes of a Japanese woman. Also, another vote for Mobile Suit Gundam? Damn, people sure love their mecha-anime, which is funny because I have little interest in that genre. To me anime is best when it focuses on the characters, not the overarching story of having to save the world.

ranmafan

That's the whole point, it's supposed to be challenging baby! If I gave you endless submissions then this thread would be overflowing with crap. We have another vote for Mobile Suit Gundam, though I'm not personally interested in the whole mecha-anime that people rave about.

Yeah that’s the hard thing about recommending Gundam. If you aren’t into mecha it can be a tough sale. Plus it’s a huge commitment too in the long run. It’s also one of the reasons I choose Escaflowne on my list. It’s got mecha in it but it’s more about the world, the characters, and the fantasy. The mecha part is just like the icing on the cake. But yeah it’s a fun exercise making it only three. Plus many here already picked some of my other options I considered.

Y0ssarian

Banned
seen JoJo mentioned on a couple lists. Overlord is an interesting submission as it's on Crunchyroll main page so I'm assuming it's ongoing.
What you might want to do is start JoJo at Battle Tendency (part 2). Then come back to part 1 later on. Part 1 is not as good as part 2, part 3, part 4 etc. but you will enjoy it after you get invested in the series.

Overlord season 4 is on going. Seasons 1 & 2 are excellent. 3 & 4 slightly less so, but still good. When Overlord is at it's best it's really good.

Another good one is Welcome to the NHK. It's on crunchyroll

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Some stuff not yet mentioned that deserve praise.

1 - Legend of Galactic Heroes
One of the few pieces of media that lived up to its hype. A space opera epic about a war between the autocratic Empire and the democratic Rebellion Alliance. Told, mostly, through the perspective of two characters, LOGH is populated by dozens of characters, all with strong personalities and with time to shine adding to the vastness of the story. While most stories fall into the banality of good vs evil, LOGH is neutral, showcasing the (many) shortcomings of both sides.

68316569c09ad5898d425667fe4532313105d92f_hq.gif
This one has his priorities straight.

Yeah that’s the hard thing about recommending Gundam. If you aren’t into mecha it can be a tough sale. Plus it’s a huge commitment too in the long run. It’s also one of the reasons I choose Escaflowne on my list. It’s got mecha in it but it’s more about the world, the characters, and the fantasy. The mecha part is just like the icing on the cake. But yeah it’s a fun exercise making it only three. Plus many here already picked some of my other options I considered.
Yeah I'm not into mecha at all and I chose the 3 submission rule to make things interesting for users. It also allows me to filter certain answers to see which shows I'll be checking out based upon the data.
What you might want to do is start JoJo at Battle Tendency (part 2). Then come back to part 1 later on. Part 1 is not as good as part 2, part 3, part 4 etc. but you will enjoy it after you get invested in the series.

Overlord season 4 is on going. Seasons 1 & 2 are excellent. 3 & 4 slightly less so, but still good. When Overlord is at it's best it's really good.

Another good one is Welcome to the NHK. It's on crunchyroll
You have to get me invested in the characters. The characters and their motivations and backgrounds are the first thing, then you can drop me into fantastical settings and narratives.
Came to see Hellsing, Lodoss War, etc. Then you pull this shit.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF
Haven't watched much anime in over a decade and even then I was familiar with the popular shows. Yes, many people don't consider Naruto one of the best, but it is one of the most popular and that has to account for something.

Top Bottom