• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AnimeAddictsAssociated of NeoGAF - Top Three Selections

Fbh

I'm more into manga so when I watch anime I tend to gravitate towards original works or light Nove/ Visual Novel adaptations rather than manga adaptation. For example I love Slam Dunk but I'd rather re-read the manga which gives the whole story and the awesome original Takehiko Inoue art instead of watching the anime.

While my top 3 shift right now I'd say:

Gurren Lagann:
tengen-toppa-gurren-langann-gainax-e1616528726815.jpg

Gurren Lagann is like the absolute epitome of shonen anime tropes. You've got the orphaned main characters, the big titted side character, the long speeches during fights, the random power ups achieved through the power of friendship, etc. But it pulls it all off so well and so earnestly that IMO it turns both into the best shonen anime as well as almost being a love letter to the genre.

It's a show where you can have a character pulling a third power up out of their ass because someone "believed in them" and rather than rolling you are eyes you are watching like
447px-Manlytears3.jpg

Steins Gate
840_560.png

Is simply put one of the most fun, unique and creative takes I've seen on the time travel genre. A show that within the first 3-4 episodes goes from "this is pretty fun" to "I NEED to keep watching.
Never played the visual novel though as I'm not really into them, but maybe that's the bes way to experience the story.

Fate Zero
fate-zero.jpg

Fate Zero is almost the opposite of Gurren Lagann, in that the premise is very similar to a lot shonen shows but it refreshingly stays away from most of the cliches and tropes. The main characters isn't some highschool kid, there's no power of friendship and it isn't a traditional good vs evil stroy. The characters and plot are great, the fights are solid and it's all backed up by the usual high budget quality of Ufotable.
My only issue is that the ending isn't as good as it could have been because it's an established franchise and they had to make the ending fit with established plot. Which wouldn't have been that much of an issue if the rest of the Fate franchise wasn't trash.

Honorable mentions: Hellsing Ultimate, Baccano, Shin Sekai Yori, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop

Last edited:
I'm more into manga so when I watch anime I tend to gravitate towards original works or light Nove/ Visual Novel adaptations rather than manga adaptation. For example I love Slam Dunk but I'd rather re-read the manga which gives the whole story and the awesome original Takehiko Inoue art instead of watching the anime.

While my top 3 shift right now I'd say:

Gurren Lagann:
tengen-toppa-gurren-langann-gainax-e1616528726815.jpg

Gurren Lagann is like the absolute epitome of shonen anime tropes. You've got the orphaned main characters, the big titted side character, the long speeches during fights, the random power ups achieved through the power of friendship, etc. But it pulls it all off so well and so earnestly that IMO it turns both into the best shonen anime as well as almost being a love letter to the genre.

It's a show where you can have a character pulling a third power up out of their ass because someone "believed in them" and rather than rolling you are eyes you are watching like
447px-Manlytears3.jpg

Steins Gate
840_560.png

Is simply put one of the most fun, unique and creative takes I've seen on the time travel genre. A show that within the first 3-4 episodes goes from "this is pretty fun" to "I NEED to keep watching.
Never played the visual novel though as I'm not really into them, but maybe that's the bes way to experience the story.

Fate Zero
fate-zero.jpg

Fate Zero is almost the opposite of Gurren Lagann, in that the premise is very similar to a lot shonen shows but it refreshingly stays away from most of the cliches and tropes. The main characters isn't some highschool kid, there's no power of friendship and it isn't a traditional good vs evil stroy. The characters and plot are great, the fights are solid and it's all backed up by the usual high budget quality of Ufotable.
My only issue is that the ending isn't as good as it could have been because it's an established franchise and they had to make the ending fit with established plot. Which wouldn't have been that much of an issue if the rest of the Fate franchise wasn't trash.

Honorable mentions: Hellsing Ultimate, Baccano, Shin Sekai Yori, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop
We have another vote for Gurren Lagann, even though I'm not too fond of the overtly colourful design. Another interesting submission is Steins;Gate, I saw it mentioned on one list within the top 10, though I believe it had a limited run. Good thing for me as there won't be a tremendous amount of episodes to check out.

Fbh

We have another vote for Gurren Lagann, even though I'm not too fond of the overtly colourful design. Another interesting submission is Steins;Gate, I saw it mentioned on one list within the top 10, though I believe it had a limited run. Good thing for me as there won't be a tremendous amount of episodes to check out.

Yeah Steins Gate is 26 episodes so it's not such a big time investment.

If you want an abridged version of Gurren Lagann you can also check out the 2 movies (Gurren-hen and Lagan-hen). It's the entire story re-cut and condensed into 2 movies, with some additional scenes and some re-done scenes (the final fight in particular get significantly expanded ). Of course there's also plenty of cut content, the ending of S1 in particular gets cut to the point it's rather underwhelming if you haven't seen the show.

Also, random side note but I'd fucking love to have a high quality print of of the poster for the second movie:
115753l.jpg

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I'm actually not a big anime fan, nowadays. But since I'm mentioned...
Number one is set in stone, an absolutely unbeatable masterpiece. Got trouble about the next in ranking.

Honestly not sure. Need to think it through and will probably never get to a definite choice.

Last edited:

Fbh

Manga.

Not crazy at all about the anime (this particular shot is from the excellent Capcom game).

I get you.

I like stuff like Berserk and Dorohedoro more than any show on my list. But their mangas are so much better than the anime adaptation that I can't recommend them

Reactions: Fuz

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Just three, tough to choose even if I had the option for ten, but if I had to pick three:

1. Ranma 1/2 - I mean look at my username it’s not a surprise it’s here. One of the funniest and enjoyable anime series I’ve ever seen. I love the works of Rumiko Takahashi but this one is special to me. Great characters, great action, and hilarious at times. Will always be my favorite.

2. The Vision of Escaflowne - the classic fantasy mech anime that really seems to be forgotten by many. Amazing music by Yoko Kanno, a great story and fantastic world. Even if you don’t like mech shows, there is tons to like in this one.

3. Mobile Suit Gundam - The original series that started the saga. It has just about everything you could want in a great show. And it leads to even some better sequel series and all down the line. But the whole story of Amuro and Char starts here and it’s still well worth a watch.
I think many here should join the discussion in the Anime/Manga Community thread (in Communities) and/or Retro Anime Discussion. As I mentioned before, I'll keep my list short but agreed that Rumiko Takahashi had created some of the greatest manga which some were adapted into manga. In the 80's alone: Rumik World OVAs, Mermaid Saga (Mermaid's Scar & Mermaid Forest), Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku. Quite a time and Urusei Yatsura finally remastered to blu-ray for 2023!

Jsisto

Seen Monster mentioned multiple times. One of my all time faves, but to my knowledge it is not currently available on any streaming service, and I had to watch it on a youtube upload. I guess, bafflingly, nobody currently has the rights? Has it become available somewhere I'm not aware of?

GymWolf

Too many to think about a top 3.

So i'm just gonna list the first that comes to mind:

Hajime no ippo

Slam dunk

Tengen toppa gurren lagann

But like i said it's a worthless list not my real top 3.

Edit: is vampire knight any good? From the art design it always looked more like a love triangle thing and not a proper shonen.

Last edited:
I'm actually not a big anime fan, nowadays. But since I'm mentioned...
Number one is set in stone, an absolutely unbeatable masterpiece. Got trouble about the next in ranking.

Honestly not sure. Need to think it through and will probably never get to a definite choice.

You have an anime avatar dude, I assumed three wouldn't be such a big issue lol.
Manga.

Not crazy at all about the anime (this particular shot is from the excellent Capcom game).
I get you.

I like stuff like Berserk and Dorohedoro more than any show on my list. But their mangas are so much better than the anime adaptation that I can't recommend them
Reading manga is so fucking tiresome in my opinion. I started on manga with the Naruto and Bleach volumes that I illegimately downloaded from hosting sites, but I fell out due to the effort involved in reading so many. Anime can condense about 5 issues into a single episode, and it's much easier to digest and often better-written.

ranmafan

I think many here should join the discussion in the Anime/Manga Community thread (in Communities) and/or Retro Anime Discussion. As I mentioned before, I'll keep my list short but agreed that Rumiko Takahashi had created some of the greatest manga which some were adapted into manga. In the 80's alone: Rumik World OVAs, Mermaid Saga (Mermaid's Scar & Mermaid Forest), Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku. Quite a time and Urusei Yatsura finally remastered to blu-ray for 2023!
Yeah one day I may join the discussion. I recently started recollecting all my old anime in bluray and it’s been a treat to watch again. I had been away from anime for a while, surprising as I live in Japan, but rediscovering my love of it has been a real great. Especially Takahashi’s works. Her 80s output was so good and I always love watching them. Makes me so excited for the UY remake next month and the bluray releases next year of the old series.

Fuz

Banned
Anime can condense about 5 issues into a single episode, and it's much easier to digest and often better-written.
Wait, what? They usually make 10 pages into 10 episodes, with pointless fillers and time wasters just to make them longer (like Goku screaming "Kamehameha" could take 3 episodes. Also while I loved DBZ manga, the anime is just... embarassing). And when they cut... they shoulnd't have.
Mangas are ALWAYS better than their anime counterparts - only exception being Maison Ikkoku, where they did an incredible work with colors, music, voices and silences.

Last edited:

Pejo

3. Made in Abyss - The literal only time an anime soundtrack has impressed and stuck with me past an opening/ending song. Amazingly dark yet hopeful story, sense of dread and foreboding with fond character moments in between. I don't think any anime has made me feel as many feelings as this one.
81NSd51uC6S.jpg

2. Mushoku Tensei - Great worldbuilding, great characters and interactions, great sense of adventure (feels literally like a good JRPG even though you're not playing anything), lots of ups and downs, the MC acts like an actual human and fucks up quite a bit for all of his successes. Also when they turn the animation up to 11 for key fights, it's done super well. It's a shame that isekais got such a bum rap by the time the anime adaptation of this came out. I think a lot of people wrote it off as another "MC wakes up in another world, gets super powered, and gets a harem", which is eventually true in later chapters, but that's missing the forest for the trees.
Mushoku-Tensei-cover-1.jpg

1. Hellsing Ultimate - Fantastic visuals that really stick with you, great anti-hero and rival, batshit crazy story. Oozes style, the action is great, and some of my most distinct and memorable characters since I started watching anime. I prefer the Ultimate version even though a lot of purists like the original run, it just gives me everything I like and dialed it up to 11.
91yWoX9WigL._SL1500_.jpg

Seen Monster mentioned multiple times. One of my all time faves, but to my knowledge it is not currently available on any streaming service, and I had to watch it on a youtube upload. I guess, bafflingly, nobody currently has the rights? Has it become available somewhere I'm not aware of?
Crunchyroll has it available for streaming, but unfortunately not in my region. I have contemplated using VPNs to circumvent that, but those admins ban accounts for this transgression.

Hajime no ippo

Slam dunk

Edit: is vampire knight any good? From the art design it always looked more like a love triangle thing and not a proper shonen.
Update the answers when your final list is clear. As for Vampire Knight, it's one of the few animes that I've ever watched so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
This is because your soul is weighed down by gravity.

Lz5uyiR.gif
200w.gif

Yeah one day I may join the discussion.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Wait, what? They usually make 10 pages into 10 episodes, with pointless fillers and time wasters just to make them longer (like Goku screaming "Kamehameha" could take 3 episodes. Also while I loved DBZ manga, the anime is just... embarassing). And when they cut... they shoulnd't have.
Mangas are ALWAYS better than their anime counterparts - only exception being Maison Ikkoku, where they did an incredible work with colors, music, voices and silences.
I'm going to have to disagree on that one, though I probably don't have the most experience on the matter. To me anime has always been the most accessible and therefore less stressful medium. Good anime can combine several issues into a single episode to beef up the writing, plus the direction is often welcoming too.
1. Hellsing Ultimate - Fantastic visuals that really stick with you, great anti-hero and rival, batshit crazy story. Oozes style, the action is great, and some of my most distinct and memorable characters since I started watching anime. I prefer the Ultimate version even though a lot of purists like the original run, it just gives me everything I like and dialed it up to 11.
91yWoX9WigL._SL1500_.jpg
Hellsing is one I'm most definitely checking out and I'm pleased somebody has mentioned it. Huge Castlevania vibes, plus it was ranked pretty high on the IMDB anime list at number 18:

Last edited:

Fbh

You have an anime avatar dude, I assumed three wouldn't be such a big issue lol.

Reading manga is so fucking tiresome in my opinion. I started on manga with the Naruto and Bleach volumes that I illegimately downloaded from hosting sites, but I fell out due to the effort involved in reading so many. Anime can condense about 5 issues into a single episode, and it's much easier to digest and often better-written.

I find manga quite nice and easy to read, specially if you've got a tablet (80% of what I use my tablet for is manga). IMO they are usually better paced, there's more consistent art, less filler and it's easier to do anywhere.
There's plenty of legal options now, you got stuff like Comixology with tons of stuff for sale and also a subscriptions service with a few good things, there's the Mangaplus app which lets you read most shonen jump stuff legally and for free, etc.

Of course there's still plenty of pirate sites and apps (specially on android) which I won't mention here but are not hard to find.

The whole condense thing depends. If it's some action heavy sequence then sure, it might condense several issues into one chapter (not that you can't read those issues in 20 minutes though). But sometimes it also goes the other way around. Like there's some Attack on Titan chapters where you have to sit throgh Armin going on a 20 minutes monologue that you can read through in a couple of minutes in the manga.

GymWolf

Crunchyroll has it available for streaming, but unfortunately not in my region. I have contemplated using VPNs to circumvent that, but those admins ban accounts for this transgression.

Update the answers when your final list is clear. As for Vampire Knight, it's one of the few animes that I've ever watched so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

200w.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I'm going to have to disagree on that one, though I probably don't have the most experience on the matter. To me anime has always been the most accessible and therefore less stressful medium. Good anime can combine several issues into a single episode to beef up the writing, plus the direction is often welcoming too.

Hellsing is one I'm most definitely checking out and I'm pleased somebody has mentioned it. Huge Castlevania vibes, plus it was ranked pretty high on the IMDB anime list at number 18:
I'm never gonna have a list, i'm incapable of only chose 3.

kunonabi

I find manga quite nice and easy to read, specially if you've got a tablet (80% of what I use my tablet for is manga). IMO they are usually better paced, there's more consistent art, less filler and it's easier to do anywhere.
There's plenty of legal options now, you got stuff like Comixology with tons of stuff for sale and also a subscriptions service with a few good things, there's the Mangaplus app which lets you read most shonen jump stuff legally and for free, etc.

Of course there's still plenty of pirate sites and apps (specially on android) which I won't mention here but are not hard to find.

The whole condense thing depends. If it's some action heavy sequence then sure, it might condense several issues into one chapter (not that you can't read those issues in 20 minutes though). But sometimes it also goes the other way around. Like there's some Attack on Titan chapters where you have to sit throgh Armin going on a 20 minutes monologue that you can read through in a couple of minutes in the manga.
The principal problem with manga is a lot of of them get really stupid at the end due to the stories going on way too long usually to the point where it actively hurts the whole story. And I get it these authors can't just throw away what might be their one big hit but as a reader it can be extremely disappointing when the whole thing turns into a giant dumpster fire.

I'm reading more manga lately but I never get too invested because I'm always kinda waiting for the bottom to fall out.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I prefer the Gundam movies to the show. Especially movies 2 & 3 (1 admittedly has bad pacing & animation).

If it was a Macross Plus situation with just 4 episodes then sure tv all the way.

killatopak

Gold Member
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Code Geass

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Massive mecha fan so those are my top three in no order. I can watch them repeatedly without getting bored. If I’m saving for time, each of them have their own movie compilation.

Fbh

The principal problem with manga is a lot of of them get really stupid at the end due to the stories going on way too long usually to the point where it actively hurts the whole story. And I get it these authors can't just throw away what might be their one big hit but as a reader it can be extremely disappointing when the whole thing turns into a giant dumpster fire.

I'm reading more manga lately but I never get too invested because I'm always kinda waiting for the bottom to fall out.

Yeah that's true, though I'd argue that's an issue of long running series in general and not just manga. Though I do think a lot of Japanese authors struggle with endings in particular.
But there's a lot of stuff that's finished and not stretched out to oblivion, things like Dorohedoro, Planetes, almost everything by Naoki Urasawa, Slam Dunk, FMA, Chainsawman (not finished but part 1 also works well as a standalone story), etc.

But it still sucks that 2 of my favorite mangas will never get a proper ending: Berserk (because Miura sadly passed away) and Vagabond (the author pretty much just lost interest)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Tell me about it. Follow any author through 30 volumes and surprise! That's why I stick with anime...it's short enough to get through without having to feel disappointed when things don't end well.

Here's a couple of more anime I thought of

Stein;gate
Paranoia Agent
Cyberpunk 2077 Edgerunners
Rahxephon
Gilgamesh
Last Exile
Cowboy Bebop
Kids On The Slope
Samurai Champloo
After The Rain
Bamboo Blade
Ergo Proxy
Full Metal Panic!
Erased
Food Wars
Gundam 00
Kinos Journey
My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu
Monster
SSSS Gridman
Trigun
Violet Evergarden
Welcome To The Ballroom
Beck Mongolian Chop Squad
Dororo
Fire Force
Dr Stone
Call of the Night
Kaguya-sama Love is War
SPY x FAMILY
My Dress Up Darling
Rent A Girlfriend
Soul Eater
A Couple of Cuckoos
Uzaki Chan Wants To Hang Out
Don’t Toy With Me Miss Nagatoro
Teasing Master Takagi
Komi Can’t Communicate
Horimiya
Ganbere Doukichan
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie:
Attack On Titan
Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
My Hero Academia
Trapped in a Dating Sim The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs
Date A Live
Skeleton In Another World
Demon Slayer
Vinland Saga
Made In Abyss Season 1
Made In Abyss Dawn Of The Deep Soul
Made In Abyss Season 2
Gleipnir
Land Of The Lustrous

Actually the last three mentioned below are a troll, sorry couldn't resist 😜 😛

Redo of Healer
Boku No Pico
Bible Black

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Tell me about it. Follow any author through 30 volumes and surprise! That's why I stick with anime...it's short enough to get through without having to feel disappointed when things don't end well.

This is becoming an issue in anime as well largely because they have shifted away from traditional made from the ground up anime, to creating something based on light novels or manga, but you are right in that it being around for a shorter period (12 episodes) helps deal with the disappointment when they inevitably turn to shit.

The reason for this is pretty simple, manga due to way the popularity polls are run effectively are pressured to change on the fly based on fan feedback, if a author has a planned idea for the story that would take time to develop they run the risk of being cancelled based on ratings before they even get to the payoff. Lightnovels are slightly different as they are normally being adapted from webnovels by writers who don't really follow a planned plot line but just keep writing week to week with whatever they think is "cool" at the time.

This goes against the traditional style of writing where you plan the structure ahead of time so you know where things are going. This is why more recently things are consistently turning to shit, the author has that one moment where they jump the shark and they can never recover. They have that moment because there is no plan, they have no idea what the story's destination was and if they ever did they are either pressured to change it or just are influenced by whatever they feel is cool that week to change it.

However manga as a medium can have titles with good beginnings, middles and ends... for example...

RMIzCfC.jpg

I would suggest this series, its purely a coincidence that its Gundam.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Hajime no ippo

Slam dunk

I've been trying to remember the names of animes that aren't violent, I guess the slice of life variety. I haven't watched too many of these so I'm gonna check out slam dunk at some point. Isn't there a volleyball anime that's really good too?

GymWolf

I've been trying to remember the names of animes that aren't violent, I guess the slice of life variety. I haven't watched too many of these so I'm gonna check out slam dunk at some point. Isn't there a volleyball anime that's really good too?
Haikyuu, and yes, it's pretty good.

If you like shonen basket with semi-realistic powers, kuroko no basket is pretty good aswell.

Last edited:
based on myanimelist i have 4 animes that I gave a perfect 10 and these are:

Cowboy Bebop
Hunter x Hunter(2011)
One Punch Man S1
Ghost in the Shell(1995 og movie)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This is becoming an issue in anime as well largely because they have shifted away from traditional made from the ground up anime, to creating something based on light novels or manga, but you are right in that it being around for a shorter period (12 episodes) helps deal with the disappointment when they inevitably turn to shit.

The reason for this is pretty simple, manga due to way the popularity polls are run effectively are pressured to change on the fly based on fan feedback, if a author has a planned idea for the story that would take time to develop they run the risk of being cancelled based on ratings before they even get to the payoff. Lightnovels are slightly different as they are normally being adapted from webnovels by writers who don't really follow a planned plot line but just keep writing week to week with whatever they think is "cool" at the time.

This goes against the traditional style of writing where you plan the structure ahead of time so you know where things are going. This is why more recently things are consistently turning to shit, the author has that one moment where they jump the shark and they can never recover. They have that moment because there is no plan, they have no idea what the story's destination was and if they ever did they are either pressured to change it or just are influenced by whatever they feel is cool that week to change it.

However manga as a medium can have titles with good beginnings, middles and ends... for example...

RMIzCfC.jpg

I would suggest this series, its purely a coincidence that its Gundam.
Maybe that's why newer anime series' have been trending down and there's something driving a demand for all these older series to be rebooted...Kenshin's getting a reboot, Trigun and Netflix just keeps more coming. Not that those will ever be as impactful as their originals...but, they (Japanese studios and producers) must figure there's ¥ in there 🙃

Last edited:
Man now that's a problem I have never had, but good luck I will be enjoying an evening of Bright Noa constantly punching a child, only the finest for me.

M9CHQ5l.jpg
Lychee flavour?
vomit-jim-carrey.gif

I prefer the Gundam movies to the show. Especially movies 2 & 3 (1 admittedly has bad pacing & animation).

If it was a Macross Plus situation with just 4 episodes then sure tv all the way.
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Code Geass

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Massive mecha fan so those are my top three in no order. I can watch them repeatedly without getting bored. If I’m saving for time, each of them have their own movie compilation.
You two are the exact opposite of me. I'm not into mecha anime, though I'm sure I'll check out some Gundam as everybody is raving about it. Sub_Level Sub_Level , submit some shows instead of the movies. You have a Bleach avatar so that could count.
Here's a couple of more anime I thought of

Stein;gate
Paranoia Agent
Cyberpunk 2077 Edgerunners
Rahxephon
Gilgamesh
Last Exile
Cowboy Bebop
Kids On The Slope
Samurai Champloo
After The Rain
Bamboo Blade
Ergo Proxy
Full Metal Panic!
Erased
Food Wars
Gundam 00
Kinos Journey
My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu
Monster
SSSS Gridman
Trigun
Violet Evergarden
Welcome To The Ballroom
Beck Mongolian Chop Squad
Dororo
Fire Force
Dr Stone
Call of the Night
Kaguya-sama Love is War
SPY x FAMILY
My Dress Up Darling
Rent A Girlfriend
Soul Eater
A Couple of Cuckoos
Uzaki Chan Wants To Hang Out
Don’t Toy With Me Miss Nagatoro
Teasing Master Takagi
Komi Can’t Communicate
Horimiya
Ganbere Doukichan
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie:
Attack On Titan
Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
My Hero Academia
Trapped in a Dating Sim The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs
Date A Live
Skeleton In Another World
Demon Slayer
Vinland Saga
Made In Abyss Season 1
Made In Abyss Dawn Of The Deep Soul
Made In Abyss Season 2
Gleipnir
Land Of The Lustrous
Redo of Healer
Boku No Pico
Bible Black
Now that's clean, though I prefer Doom's horizontal text due to easier reading.
based on myanimelist i have 4 animes that I gave a perfect 10 and these are:

Cowboy Bebop
Hunter x Hunter(2011)
One Punch Man S1
Ghost in the Shell(1995 og movie)
We're focusing on anime series my man so the movie has to be excluded. I'm pleased to see the infamous Cowboy Bepop, but One Punch Man, is that even good?
I'm not Japanese and kicked the anime habit years ago.
How come?

Last edited:

Doom85

Not that those will ever be as impactful as their originals

To be fair, it’s not like all the manga adaptations of the past were always the best handled. Lord knows virtually everyone would agree the new Fruits Basket adaptation is vastly superior to the original anime. I’m not familiar with the original Devilman anime and how popular it was back then, but the new Devilman Crybaby definitely made a splash. And of course obviously, the new JoJo’s anime adaptations have made the series FAR more popular than it ever was.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You two are the exact opposite of me. I'm not into mecha anime, though I'm sure I'll check out some Gundam as everybody is raving about it.

I would suggest watching something smaller and self contained to see if you enjoy the style first. Things like Gundam The Origin require no prior knowledge and are only 6 hour long episodes (OVA version) or 12 (TV series version) they are identical just the OVA has the correct pacing as they don't end mid episode unnaturally every other episode.

If you enjoy that... well you have entire 50 episode long series from the 1970's right up until the late 2010's with a new series airing this October... its one of those rabbit holes that runs deep if you do end up getting into it.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
To be fair, it’s not like all the manga adaptations of the past were always the best handled. Lord knows virtually everyone would agree the new Fruits Basket adaptation is vastly superior to the original anime. I’m not familiar with the original Devilman anime and how popular it was back then, but the new Devilman Crybaby definitely made a splash. And of course obviously, the new JoJo’s anime adaptations have made the series FAR more popular than it ever was.
Agreed. One of my top 3 was Gunsmith Cats. Manga had way more to tell than the 3 episode OVA. But then you things like Berserk. The 97' anime I get doesn't tell much beyond an intro and the ending was...what it was. However, seems like the story was dragging on long before the author passed away. I'm a firm believer in short but sweet with anime series. The 26 episode models is more than enough to create something memorable. Having list Ranma 1/2 in my 3 as well, the TV series ending was...okay. Rumiko took another 5-years to complete it and seems like it's still open ended.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I would Reccomand the OG Berserk anime but the Manga is waaaaaay better

It's my favorite manga of all time
We can see that now but imagine those who watched it back in 97...It was rumored they wanted another 29 episodes (not sure if that was true) but it ended in NGE style. I think diehard fans had to go to the manga after that. It is great but hopefully gets left as-is or who knows? Maybe they'll make a movie...

I would suggest watching something smaller and self contained to see if you enjoy the style first. Things like Gundam The Origin require no prior knowledge and are only 6 hour long episodes (OVA version) or 12 (TV series version) they are identical just the OVA has the correct pacing as they don't end mid episode unnaturally every other episode.

If you enjoy that... well you have entire 50 episode long series from the 1970's right up until the late 2010's with a new series airing this October... its one of those rabbit holes that runs deep if you do end up getting into it.

I'm going to be honest and say that I probably won't be diving deep into it. The only mecha-anime I was hoping to watch was Neon Genesis Evangelion due to it being on both IGN's and IMDB's lists. Those are my references and I'm cross-checking between each one to see which animes are the best of all time.

We can see that now but imagine those who watched it back in 97...It was rumored they wanted another 29 episodes (not sure if that was true) but it ended in NGE style. I think diehard fans had to go to the manga after that. It is great but hopefully gets left as-is or who knows? Maybe they'll make a movie...

The manga is still contuining even after Kentaro Miura died

How I got into the manga is that I saw the anime and the ending made me incredibly salty. So I looked up the manga and started reading it. This was back in 2004 when I started to read the manga

If I really enjoy the anime I tend to start to read the manga

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You have a Bleach avatar so that could count.

I love Bleach but naw it doesn't belong anywhere near a Top 3. My picks would be:

1. Yu Yu Hakusho - 112 episodes, made by the same guy who did Hunter X Hunter, but with slightly older characters.
oE701wW.jpg

2. G Gundam - 49 episodes, a martial arts drama NOT a real mecha show. Part of the "Super Robot" genre, to be exact.
8GqRui1.jpg

3. Outlaw Star - 26 episodes, a poor man's Cowboy Bebop. But a poor man's Cowboy Bebop is still pretty good.
Yo20Ryo.jpg

English dub is great for all 3. I wish I could put more well regarded anime like Monster, Gankutsuou, Ghost in the Shell S.A.C., or Cowboy Bebop, but I'm just being honest with my taste lol basically I like cool action, cute chicks, and nice soundtracks :messenger_sunglasses:

I love Bleach but naw it doesn't belong anywhere near a Top 3. My picks would be:

1. Yu Yu Hakusho - 112 episodes, made by the same guy who did Hunter X Hunter, but with slightly older characters.
oE701wW.jpg

2. G Gundam - 49 episodes, a martial arts drama NOT a real mecha show. Part of the "Super Robot" genre, to be exact.
8GqRui1.jpg

3. Outlaw Star - 26 episodes, a poor man's Cowboy Bebop. But a poor man's Cowboy Bebop is still pretty good.
Yo20Ryo.jpg

English dub is great for all 3. I wish I could put more well regarded anime like Monster, Gankutsuou, Ghost in the Shell S.A.C., or Cowboy Bebop, but I'm just being honest with my taste lol basically I like cool action, cute chicks, and nice soundtracks :messenger_sunglasses:
Another damn Gundam submission. Does everybody on NeoGAF have a hard-on for robots?

Top Bottom