• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian: "No more excuses for the lack of women at E3".

Haven’t they been trying to turn it back into a fan even the last 3 years or so?

We are rolling back. E3 used to be fan<industry<fan.

Well they opened it up to the public but still the basic idea for E3 is still the same most real presentations happens behind closed doors with a selection of the press being allowed access to see certain gameplay vids and other info.

Can't she just fuck off already? How many years is she going to milk it?

This woman has literally single handily almost ruined pop culture, her life's mission is to suck all joy and fun out of the world.

The sheer egotism and self centeredness of this woman, who died and made her queen of video games? Why does she think she can decide what can and can't be done for an audience of millions and millions of people?

She's a demon, she's a monster, she's a witch, she's literally evil.

She's the real life version of the Grinch but twice as ugly,

I'm not a fan, in other words.

I don't think she's killed anyone to be called all of those.

She is definitely an idiot that likely broke her nose on a sex act gone wrong to attack games but I don't think she deserves that much hate.

Ignore her you will feel better for it. I literally forgot about her before seeing this thread. 🤮

Last edited:

Barnabot

I wonder if Anita wants to recreate a mini second impact... urgh I mean a mini-gamergate event this year so she could catch the lightning on the bottle again 💰

I don't think she's killed anyone to be called all of those.

She is definitely an idiot that likely broke her nose on a sex act gone wrong to attack games but I don't think she deserves that much hate.

Ignore her you will feel better for it. I literally forgot about her before seeing this thread. 🤮

I try to ignore her as much as I can, but when the topic comes up I don't mince words.

And her brand of egotism really does veer into flat out evil territory, I'm not joking.

MagnesG

Banned
I found something...

ace.jpg

Don't know if legit or not.

Pidull

I feel like every decade a new one of these idiots pops up, they all eventually disappear.

Remember Jack Thompson? Funny guy.

Boss Mog

It's funny how feminists and SJWs whine constantly about representation and how important it is, but the second some straight white guy wants to buy a game with a character that looks like him he's a white supremacist nazi. Meanwhile white males make up the lion's share of videogame purchasers yet somehow they shouldn't get representation in line with their majority both demographically but also as game buyers, especially when it comes to the kind of AAA games Anita is talking about.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Because of the people who have gotten the courage or space to talk about these issues, the conversation has changed and so we have seen progress," she says. "I know these data sets haven't changed, but there are other ways to assess this: there are big AAA games with females who don't look like the old Lara Croft, black men as protagonists, or trans sidekicks that are done in honest, healthy ways and not as a joke. They're not the majority, but they exist. There are teams trying to be better with representation.

What is she complaining about exactly, that she isn't the majority yet? Ok Anita see you next year.

Saruhashi

Banned
Because gamers take the bait.

That's true but I think for many people it's difficult when someone is given a platform to publicly misrepresent a hobby that you care about.
People will think "don't take the bait" after a while but ultimately they will be pushed to "fuck this, I am going to speak up".

The problem is simply made worse when it's people within the hobby who supposedly also care who are giving her the platform and smearing people who dare go against her.

I'd say she is somewhere between a troll and an activist and that's perfectly fine. That's up to her.
People should be able to call her out without consequences though.

You look at what the video game journalism sphere does to other videogame content creators if they are a bit trollish or a bit naughty.
They don't say "don't take the bait" and move on. They grab their pitchforks and go after advertisers or write hitpieces or otherwise try to shut that shit down.
With Anita though it's all good. Batman only has a cape in the Arkham games because straight dudes don't want to look at another dudes ass? Sure, sounds fine, you want us to signal boost your message? You want us to encourage developers to take note?

Anita represents a problem within the gaming industry and community in that people who buy and play games are treated with a kind of disdain.
When she comes along and "calls out" the industry none of these journalists say "come on now this is such bullshit".
Instead it's left to the players themselves to speak up but when they do they are aggressively shut down.

Which in turn leads to these "independent content creators" becoming more prominent because people like them and want to hear their views.
Then that is met with even more fierce resistance from the establishment.

I often think that if Kotaku, Polygon, Eurogamer etc had been the ones to "debunk" Anita's videos early on then probably they would have at least slowed the rise of YouTube videogame commentary significantly. Certainly it would have stopped a lot of things before they even had a chance to get started.

Instead we got "hey guys we're going to give this idiot a platform to bait you all and badmouth your hobby AND we are going to nudge developers towards listening to her advice."
You mustn't "take the bait" though. Just let it happen.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
gr8 b8 m8. i rel8 str8 appreci8 nd congratul8. i r8 dis b8 an 8/8. plz no h8, i'm str8 ir8. cr8 more cant w8. we shood convers8 i wont ber8, my number is 8888888 ask for N8. no calls l8 or out of st8. if on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. even with a full pl8 i always hav time to communic8 so dont hesit8. dont forget to medit8 and particip8 and masturb8 to allevi8 ur ability to tabul8 the f8. we should meet up m8 and convers8 on how we can cre8 more gr8 b8, im sure everyone would appreci8 no h8. i dont mean to defl8 ur hopes, but itz hard to dict8 where the b8 will rel8 and we may end up with out being appreci8d, im sure u can rel8. we can cre8 b8 like alexander the gr8, stretch posts longer than the nile's str8s. well be the captains of b8 4chan our first m8s the growth r8 will spread to reddit and like reel est8 and be a flow r8 of gr8 b8 like a blind d8 well coll8 meet me upst8 where we can convers8 or ice sk8 or lose w8 infl8 our hot air baloons and fly tail g8. we cood land in kuw8, eat a soup pl8 followed by a dessert pl8 the payment r8 wont be too ir8 and hopefully our currency wont defl8.

giphy.gif

Kamina

Golden Boy
Ready for E3 she crawls out of whatever hole she has been hiding in since. Dont feed her and she will die off like any other regular bridge-troll.

Last edited:
So I went back through the Games I've played this year and found that almost all have either A) Playable woman character or B) Woman characters in a leading role

:messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Rainbow Six Siege Playable Women Operators
Ghost Recon Wildlands You create your character
God Of War Freyja
Resident Evil 2 Ada and Claire
FireWall Zero Hour Women Operators
World War Z Women Character
Battlefront 2 Women Characters
Broforce (lol) Playable Woman Character
Spider-Man Playable Woman Character

RDR2 Has many woman main characters. Online you create your own.

The only games I played actually that doesn't have either a playable woman character or a woman in a leading role is MLB The Show and Days Gone.

And the upcoming games I know I am going to get CTR Remaster, Modern Warfare, and The Last Of Us 2 all have the ability to play as a woman character.

So I am not sure what she wants to address.

Cranberrys

She's crazy and has no knowledge of video game culture at all. There never was a sexist conspiracy in gaming. Back in the day, Atari, Nintendo or SEGA didn't have stickers saying "prohibited to women" on their console. It's just that during a very long time (decades), video games never vastly attracted women. It's simple as that. There always been women gamers but just less than men. And even now, men game more than women. So it's only natural that the industry has more male employees than female ones, if you grew up playing a lot of video games it is more likely that, at one point, you want it to be your job.

Furthermore, there are women gaming and working in the industry since it began (Danielle Bunten Berry and Roberta Williams to name a few) and they made history and it's disrespectful to them (not that she cares) to treat the industry and the gaming community like a gathering of idiots. She's a despicable person.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
There’s Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon to name a few of series prominent with high female ratio. Sold millions, no hard sweat at all. Maybe Anita could try it for once?

Lololol

Xenon

Oh she's back, patreon must be dropping too low. The biggest problem I have with the concept of 50/50 representation is 50/50 participation both in the manufacturing and purchasing of games. Sadly due mainly to interest the gaming industry was predominantly male. But once gaming went social and more importantly big business it's mainstream appeal grew.

It was kind of The Perfect Storm for someone like Anita who thinks that as a woman she speaks for all of them. She was looking to provoke reactions. Unfortunately since gaming was mostly male there was a severe lack of sensitivity and restraint. This was what Anita wanted. She may have burned a big part of our industry but Gamers were the ones who handed her the fuel in the match and legitimize her.

The minute you turn this into her being a woman and saying stupid shit about sexualizing her, you are providing her fuel and pretty much ensuring her relevance in this industry. But worst of all you make her right, yuck.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The place is so much better than it used to be. Fun thread. If I wasn't happily married I'd plug her for yall. She is actually kinda cute.

Riven326

Banned
That's true but I think for many people it's difficult when someone is given a platform to publicly misrepresent a hobby that you care about.
People will think "don't take the bait" after a while but ultimately they will be pushed to "fuck this, I am going to speak up".

The problem is simply made worse when it's people within the hobby who supposedly also care who are giving her the platform and smearing people who dare go against her.

I'd say she is somewhere between a troll and an activist and that's perfectly fine. That's up to her.
People should be able to call her out without consequences though.

You look at what the video game journalism sphere does to other videogame content creators if they are a bit trollish or a bit naughty.
They don't say "don't take the bait" and move on. They grab their pitchforks and go after advertisers or write hitpieces or otherwise try to shut that shit down.
With Anita though it's all good. Batman only has a cape in the Arkham games because straight dudes don't want to look at another dudes ass? Sure, sounds fine, you want us to signal boost your message? You want us to encourage developers to take note?

Anita represents a problem within the gaming industry and community in that people who buy and play games are treated with a kind of disdain.
When she comes along and "calls out" the industry none of these journalists say "come on now this is such bullshit".
Instead it's left to the players themselves to speak up but when they do they are aggressively shut down.

Which in turn leads to these "independent content creators" becoming more prominent because people like them and want to hear their views.
Then that is met with even more fierce resistance from the establishment.

I often think that if Kotaku, Polygon, Eurogamer etc had been the ones to "debunk" Anita's videos early on then probably they would have at least slowed the rise of YouTube videogame commentary significantly. Certainly it would have stopped a lot of things before they even had a chance to get started.

Instead we got "hey guys we're going to give this idiot a platform to bait you all and badmouth your hobby AND we are going to nudge developers towards listening to her advice."
You mustn't "take the bait" though. Just let it happen.
My main problem with her is that Publishers feel the need to bring her in to look over a game and give her stamp of approval. Aside from that I really don't care.

somerset

As people here have said, she wanted the booth babes gone, and that was a very typical form of employment for females in an otherwise *massively* male flavoured industry- as all 'thinking' industries tend to be in the West.

What this cow wants is more females shoehorned into the 'good' jobs, ie., management, especially upper management, where talent is not needed. Then these wimmin will be monkeys on the backs of the actual talent (most of whom are male- with coding and game design, pretty much all of whom are male)- in other words the talented male will have to work harder to make up for more useless parasites in his company.

Some may argue that if male managers are largely useless, is it not 'fair' to half half of them 'female'. Sorry, I believe in *even* *fair* representation. Positive discrimination in higher roles is *evil* (even when harmless) unless there is equal representation at lower levels in the company where the actual work is done. Otherwise a particulr group is given the idea that they exist to be 'slave masters' riding on the shoulders of a 'slave' class.

Let women become good coders, or let them shut up in this regard.

However, as some games hit Hollywood like productions, there is a *lot* of scope for female character designers, dressers, hair and make-up, all areas where females win big at the Oscars, and jsutifiably so. Look to where women are strong in Hollywood and there is a good argument that for games with overlapping values, you could see similar employment for females in game work. Set design is another area.

*But*- and this is a big but, AAA game work is so onerous, it is unlikely talented women with options would choose to use their talents in this filed. And as I said, no- talent women do *not* 'deserve' employment in game dev just to make up the numbers, cos they will always need to be carried by a male.

PS a sane policy would be to give no attention to these agents of destruction. How'd it work out for you, yanks, when you listened to them on the issue of alcohol? When white knighting dumb dumbs gave the women what they wanted, and banned booze.

If you employ a person to do work on your house, and that person is a male master carpenter, do you cry that he is not a 'she' or do you rejoice in his talent. The alt-left is waging a *war on quality* in the guise of 'social justice'.

Ascend

So I went back through the Games I've played this year and found that almost all have either A) Playable woman character or B) Woman characters in a leading role

God Of War Freyja

The only games I played actually that doesn't have either a playable woman character or a woman in a leading role is MLB The Show and Days Gone.

And the upcoming games I know I am going to get CTR Remaster, Modern Warfare, and The Last Of Us 2 all have the ability to play as a woman character.

It's how she makes money. If she admits that there's no longer a problem she's out of a job.

In other words, no matter how good it gets, she will find something to complain about.

molasar

Banned
She should show companies how to lead by example. Come on Anita, show them how to run your own successful video game company with your standards implemented.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Ready for E3 she crawls out of whatever hole she has been hiding in since. Dont feed her and she will die off like any other regular bridge-troll.
She seems like an immortal troll to be frank. A troll which comes back to life once in a while.

God Of War Freyja

Her lying ass ego.

26hjHPQ.jpg

Jeepers Creepers

Last edited:

Ascend

Dunki

This article was full of bullshit and lies as expected from this asshole. I am sorry but she will probably start a new funding project soon so she needs some attention again.

Her propaganda does not go anymore anyway and she is luckily done with ruining peoples life. Also I am done with Gameindustry biz for giving such a toxic person a stage letting her tell all these lies.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
She's crazy and has no knowledge of video game culture at all. There never was a sexist conspiracy in gaming. Back in the day, Atari, Nintendo or SEGA didn't have stickers saying "prohibited to women" on their console. It's just that during a very long time (decades), video games never vastly attracted women. It's simple as that. There always been women gamers but just less than men. And even now, men game more than women. So it's only natural that the industry has more male employees than female ones, if you grew up playing a lot of video games it is more likely that, at one point, you want it to be your job.

Furthermore, there are women gaming and working in the industry since it began (Danielle Bunten Berry and Roberta Williams to name a few) and they made history and it's disrespectful to them (not that she cares) to treat the industry and the gaming community like a gathering of idiots. She's a despicable person.

Exactly. Acting as though there needs to be 1-to-1 representation overlooks the fact that the industry itself has long been driven by particular demographics. It's the same thing when someone complains about lack of racial diversity in games and development. Well, when a vast majority of developers are found in North America, Europe, and East Asia that means a vast majority of your potential talent pool and consumers are either Asian or Caucasian. People tend to represent themselves or people close to them in their works and publishers often concern themselves with making sure their products resonate with the largest demographic to improve chances of high sales.

As far as women go, as you said, it's disgraceful to act as though female developers and characters are somehow only a recent thing. Why are women like Jade Raymond so celebrated for doing not nearly enough to deserve the praise yet the women who actually blazed the trails before her are completely overlooked? It has a lot to do with people like Anita trying to virtue signal her generation of women. The same reason why Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman was so highly praised for being "a woman fighting against impossible odds". Not only was that movie certainly not about a woman fighting against such odds, more like a goddess stepping on the faces of mortal men, the fact is Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley did it decades before in the Alien movies without the need to imply women as wonderful creatures and men as near barbaric beasts.

People like Anita need to impress upon people that they're somehow pioneers in an unfair world. They create dragons to slay when the real ones ceased to exist a long time ago. They have no real war to fight so they try to carefully craft battle scenarios that favor a victory for them. Because people like her can't actually fight those battles. That would require her to have actual knowledge of what she criticizes. She would need to actually develop the skills to enter the field and create what she wants to see. So instead she brow beats those already there into guilt and intimidates them with a resume of fabricated victories to make it seem like challenging her is foolish when the reality is being foolish is listening to her. She makes her money on the outrage of other people without lifting a finger to truly bring the change herself.

nkarafo

Well... this is going to sound a bit toxic, but hear me out.

Men were not designed to be impress by strong women, beyond the curiosity or the occasional fetish..

Men in nature were always supposed to be the expendable part of the Human community, with every bit of their Body and Mind designed to be in the front lines, and their genetic material can be given in abundance by anyone at anytime. That's what mother nature commanded, and that's why eventually every human civilization was designed to support it.
I don't find it weird, that after a million years of this system working, the male minds where not made to support the strong "front-line women", and quite the opposite, in many cases reacted negatively to it, as it's a terrible idea for any community based organism to bring the heart of it's community danger.
It's only in the recent decades where with the rise of technology and the spread of peace, most of the natural advantages of men have become insignificant, the danger zone of the world has been drastically reduced, and the overpopulation shows no need to further replenish one's numbers. Only now the female side of the human race are asking and getting the more active roles, even if the true "front line" roles are mostly in literature and media entertainment.

Long story short, don't complain if strong female characters are getting second place in attention or are being portrayed in skimpy outfits. We are all in the process of changing millions of years of human nature here, so cut us some slack.
Thing is, if shit hits the fan or the ship starts to sink, women will not complain about the "women and children first" protocol.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
personally, i have nothing against her. she is a basic academic feminist who did a kickstarter and made the videos she said she was going to do. i thought the videos for the most part were really good. yes she made generalizations but these are 20 minute videos not 20 page academic papers. yes she represented things in a way that made her argument sound good. that is ok. that is called making an argument.

the amount of backlash she is gets is what gives her power. without so many people screaming at the top of their lungs that this person is trying to ruin all of gaming, she would not have so big a profile. in reality she has little influence, and it only grows the more people entertain this fantasy.

all the "why doesn't she make her own game?" talk is so tired. why doesn't Jim Sterling do the same? no, he just stands on a soapbox, literally calls himself God, and constantly demands game companies change the way they do things. when is his game coming out? it's a shitty double standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom