• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian: "No more excuses for the lack of women at E3".

MagnesG

Banned
On the conspiracy side, there are plenty of people that legitimately believe that she's trying to ruin gaming, and exact white genocide. Or how "the left" is waging a "war on quality".

As for victim complexes, we've got people whining about how she's supposedly calling everyone that doesn't mind straight white dudes in games nazis.
Okay, so what do you believe she's doing then, that doesn't really correlate with that notion?

Also, I don't see anyone posting in this thread resembles the perception you have in mind? Nazis?

llien

Just look at how misleading the statement is.

"Only 9% are women only" - that's less than one in 10, isn't it?
Hold on, but "whopping 31% are menonly", so that's a totally different proportion, 1 in 4.

Oh, and if you include 60% of games that let you be whatever gender you want, does it still look problematic?
Perhaps it does, if so, go check gamer demographic of typical action/fight/sports game.
Looks like current state of affairs does not, in fact, reflect the gamer demographic, with proportion of female chars much higher than among gamers.

And if you think women mostly play mobile games, check Sims.

Men and women, girls and boys, on average have quite different interests, can we tell those, cherry picking misleading stats, to GTFO and get over it?

get this shit over at
I suspect only certain types of opinions on the subject are allowed there, unlike here.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Just look at how misleading the statement is.

"Only 9% are women only" - that's less than one in 10, isn't it?
Hold on, but "whopping 31% are menonly", so that's a totally different proportion, 1 in 4.

Oh, and if you include 60% of games that let you be whatever gender you want, does it still look problematic?
Perhaps it does, if so, go check gamer demographic of typical action/fight/sports game.
Looks like current state of affairs does not, in fact, reflect the gamer demographic, with proportion of female chars much higher than among gamers.

And if you think women mostly play mobile games, check Sims.

Men and women, girls and boys, on average have quite different interests, can we tell those, cherry picking misleading stats, to GTFO and get over it?

I suspect only certain types of opinions on the subject are allowed there, unlike here.
true. very true.

3March

Banned
Okay, so what do you believe she's doing then, that doesn't really correlate with that notion?

Also, I don't see anyone posting in this thread resembles the perception you have in mind? Nazis?
Holy shit, so you actually believe this as well.

Really, the only thing I can say about Anita is that she's some pushy whiner that overthinks way too much over what's not really a problem in gaming. I have never seen her actively advocate for shit like "White genocide". Seriously, this whole thread right here is just ammo for r/GamersRiseUp.

I'm not calling anyone a Nazi. They're just whining about how people are supposedly calling them Nazis. Like this guy right here.

Drewpee

Banned
Does she come from game development or is she just a journalist? It seems like she is in prime position to make a game that caters to what she feels is lacking.

I am sure there are plenty of companies that would be willing to take a chance and work with her. She can use that game as an example of what she wants instead of counting some characters in the background of some games and presenting that as reliable data that someone can work with.

That is a tiny bit disingenuous and I think she knows that.

Wimbledon

The industry needs to stop giving her attention, you give people like her an inch and they take a mile. More and more individuals like her pop up because they know they can get you to listen to them. They will never be satisfied

Stop listening to them , take the bad press, it will disappear in a day or two and focus on making the worlds and characters you want to create. The video game world/industry would be a better place if developers/publishers stopped bending over for people like her.

If she truly wants to make an impact become a game developer work on your craft and tell the stories you want to tell.

I would laugh at her in her face if she told me to change X Y and Z about my game (if i were a game developer). She has no power, let her screech into the void for eternity. She can write all the garbage she wants, she can post whatever she wants on social media. Too all developers make the games you want to make, stop paying attention to people who distract you from your craft let them cry and whine , and focus on what you can control like MAKING A GREAT GAME!

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Holy shit, so you actually believe this as well.

Really, the only thing I can say about Anita is that she's some pushy whiner that overthinks way too much over what's not really a problem in gaming. I have never seen her actively advocate for shit like "White genocide". Seriously, this whole thread right here is just ammo for r/GamersRiseUp.

I'm not calling anyone a Nazi. They're just whining about how people are supposedly calling them Nazis. Like this guy right here.
That's why I want to avoid believing anything at face value.

White genocide is not what I have in mind, but ruining gaming (industry) is not a far-fetched thought. We had seen already with EA (Battlefield 5), Sony's bias and vague censorship policy, and the rise of 'wokeness' in overall industry. This being an ammo is nothing btw. r/GamersRiseUp is nothing.

Also, I only just found one good post about 'calling Nazi', which you thankfully had directed, still where are they - anybody else which you were dictating about, or are you trying to generalize everything here? I mean, all aboard victim complexes? What about me and the others here? Some kind of ghost members? You're effectively an extremist yourself if that's your thought about this, and one part of the problem, which I don't think you want to admit, as you being so high proud above about yourself to easily judging others.

Even then, why can't anyone whine about illogical things being called to them? I've been told I'm a white supremacist - at my face, from those so called 'feminists', supposedly from me being pro white male protagonist in my games. Too extreme, easily triggered and entitled community, taking everything against them as an all-out war, and then proceed to labeling everything using their favorite word, phobes (phobias).

So I agree with the ridiculous of this thread, but some of you guys are the same people clamoring that games don't have enough T&A. Same argument for two different issues applies.

I am going to make a katamari game of a big boob that rolls over things. Would that count in her stats?
So I agree with the ridiculous of this thread, but some of you guys are the same people clamoring that games don't have enough T&A. Same argument for two different issues applies.
Men have T&A too. Are you assuming people are asking for just women frolicking around as sexy digital pixels?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think Gaf is currently the only place on the whole Internet where Anita Sarkeesian is still relevant
I agree. This is what just drives me nuts. Giving her attention is the absolute best thing you can do for her. The internet/social media just can't help themselves.

Her and Milo Yiannapolis are the exact same person. They feed off of pissing off their opposition to the point that it leads to attention and raising their profile.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think Gaf is currently the only place on the whole Internet where Anita Sarkeesian is still relevant
The ol' "if you don't pay attention to her, she will vanish" shtick is demonstrably untrue.

Exhibit A: 2019 version of Anita Sarkeesian, who now works as a respected consultant for AAA videogame firms.

The vitriol against her can be downright cringeworthy, but half-formed words of anger, resentment, and despair are often rather cringeworthy.

Is the topic how cringeworthy her criticism is, or whether the criticism is true? We could certainly debate whether the emotional response toward her is appropriate or not, but that is besides the point. The term, actually, is "tone policing".

The actual topic is that there are "no more excuses for the lack of women at E3". On its face, the statement is false. E3 does not lack women. It lacks enough women according to Anita's standard.

This standard, of course, is never detailed. How can I believe in Anita's religion if she won't even let me read her Bible?

That's the problem people have with her: she is a disingenuous attention-seeker. When faced with questions, her defenders deflect and flee just like her.

3March

Banned
That's why I want to avoid believing anything at face value.

White genocide is not what I have in mind, but ruining gaming (industry) is not a far-fetched thought. We had seen already with EA (Battlefield 5), Sony's bias and vague censorship policy, and the rise of 'wokeness' in overall industry. This being an ammo is nothing btw. r/GamersRiseUp is nothing.

Also, I only just found one good post about 'calling Nazi', which you thankfully had directed, still where are they - anybody else which you were dictating about, or are you trying to generalize everything here? I mean, all aboard victim complexes? What about me and the others here? Some kind of ghost members? You're effectively an extremist yourself if that's your thought about this, and one part of the problem, which I don't think you want to admit, as you being so high proud above about yourself to easily judging others.

Even then, why can't anyone whine about illogical things being called to them? I've been told I'm a white supremacist - at my face, from those so called 'feminists', supposedly from me being pro white male protagonist in my games. Too extreme, easily triggered and entitled community, taking everything against them as an all-out war, and then proceed to labeling everything using their favorite word, phobes (phobias).
>ruining gaming (industry) is not a far-fetched thought. We had seen already with EA (Battlefield 5), Sony's bias and vague censorship policy, and the rise of 'wokeness' in overall industry
I fail to see how this is Anita Sarkeesian's fault. And frankly, there is far more of the opposite- That is, "Anti-wokeness" or "Anti-PC" or whatever the fuck you want to call it. To see some examples, we got Geeks + Gamers, TheQuartering, Upper Echelon, NoBullshit...

>all aboard victim complexes
I was talking about both Anita, and some people on this thread. Not "Everyone" on the thread: Moreso referring to sides.

> I've been told I'm a white supremacist - at my face
17c.png

>Too extreme, easily triggered and entitled community, taking everything against them as an all-out war
That ain't exclusive to any one side, buddy. If anything, I'd say it's even more egregious on the side of the reactionaries.

Varteras

Gold Member
Coming from a woman who enjoys games, this crap makes me sick. Let the medium be what it is without some hamfisted arbitrary feminism spin. Not every game that comes out needs to represent any specific group, just the vision of the creator and respect for the art form. Also more importantly, the consumer.

Contrary to the spin Anita and the people like her do all the time, most women are like you. They really don't care and just want to play fun games.

BruceCM

As a guy, I actually want more girls both involved in game development & represented in games :messenger_sunglasses: The latter part isn't really for reasons feminists might like, mind you but.... :messenger_ok:

MagnesG

Banned
>ruining gaming (industry) is not a far-fetched thought. We had seen already with EA (Battlefield 5), Sony's bias and vague censorship policy, and the rise of 'wokeness' in overall industry
I fail to see how this is Anita Sarkeesian's fault. And frankly, there is far more of the opposite- That is, "Anti-wokeness" or "Anti-PC" or whatever the fuck you want to call it. To see some examples, we got Geeks + Gamers, TheQuartering, Upper Echelon, NoBullshit...
So you fail to see anything at all then have the ability to be overexposed to the other side? I don't even know some of those you mentioned. Still, it's not like they are not at fault here. I'm aware of how Quartering for example exaggerating his views on pretty much everything, he just wanna rages, albeit him not throwing wrong facts or spreading lies. He's doing it for clickbaits and drama, the same principle as Anita on its core, except her strong belief of 'representation' and being oppressed in games.

>all aboard victim complexes
I was talking about both Anita, and some people on this thread. Not "Everyone" on the thread: Moreso referring to sides.
Okay. I sense some sort of bullshit goalposting but okay.

> I've been told I'm a white supremacist - at my face
17c.png
Sure dude. I'm not gonna elaborate when you're not gonna believe anything. My story is just for perspective on how people whine about those who cried wolf, are the whiners themselves. Whiners attracting whiners, liars attracting ___. It's kind of ironic. Also people must be lying to you a lot all the time if you're in doubt of everything people say, so I can sympathize with that.

>Too extreme, easily triggered and entitled community, taking everything against them as an all-out war
That ain't exclusive to any one side, buddy. If anything, I'd say it's even more egregious on the side of the reactionaries.
Didn't say anything about only on one side. You're not gonna believe anything I say so why bother replying actually?

Last edited:
Oh.

I remember getting banned in this forum (pre exodus) for pointing out she is no gamer, judging from this video.

"You don't decide who is a gamer and who is not" the mod said...

Oh boy those mods were on a huuuuuuuuuuuuge power trip. I remember a world cup thread in 2006 where this new mod came in and started banning British users for calling players c*nts which apparently is very normal among football fans in the UK. Nope, not for that guy. A while later he was demodded so there you have it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oh boy those mods were on a huuuuuuuuuuuuge power trip. I remember a world cup thread in 2006 where this new mod came in and started banning British users for calling players c*nts which apparently is very normal among football fans in the UK. Nope, not for that guy. A while later he was demodded so there you have it.

Mumei. Yeah, I walked it back with "Off-Topic is a Den of Cunts" and demodded him a while later.

The Meta-GAF thread is the best place for that sort of discussion, though. Let's keep things on-topic.

angelic

Banned
Oh.

I remember getting banned in this forum (pre exodus) for pointing out she is no gamer, judging from this video.

"You don't decide who is a gamer and who is not" the mod said...

I remember first being introduced to her on an old forum i used to read. I watched her videos, saw how facile and uninformed she was, and commented as much. I was rounded on and savaged by what i later found were a bunch of dimwitted lefties, calling her a brave hero.

Obviously now i know they were super woke fuckwits, and im pleased to be on the side of people that see through her.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If there was ever a need for an "ignore topic" feature, this would be the showcase for it. LMAO.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sarkeesian threads are always hilarious. You need to bring the funny.

Would much rather bring an ignore button to the discussion because quite honestly, she's not worth discussing whatsoever and is nothing more than a waste of my time which has already gone into several minutes that I can never get back.

Anyway, going back to what I care about - gaming. :)

angelic

Banned
Would much rather bring an ignore button to the discussion because quite honestly, she's not worth discussing whatsoever and is nothing more than a waste of my time which has already gone into several minutes that I can never get back.

Anyway, going back to what I care about - gaming. :)

I also despise her, but I find it heartening that so many other people do too, therefore I love this thread.

Top Bottom