• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian: "No more excuses for the lack of women at E3".

angelic

Banned
BOOTH BABES

thing1.png

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anita has a crazy sense of when she’s just on the verge of being completely forgotten and an uncanny ability to say something just loud enough RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT to keep her on the fringe of relevance for a few more weeks.

It’s almost impressive, in a disturbing way.

It’s E3, doesn’t take rocket science to get in the news.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Majority male audience, demand 50% representation.

How about you bitch about the lack of female construction workers or something.
I used to be a Bricklayer and i had a woman work with me for a few weeks and to far she wasn't to bad, a little slow but she was great a cleaning up.

njr

If only 5 years ago I had the knowledge I know now I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to understand that this is clearly an ideologue looking for another payday, someone that believes there's no universal truth so that she can push her equality of outcome narrative. It's honestly a shame that people at E3 who came to showcase their new games they've worked hard on have to deal with this endless grifting tactic.

nightfly

Didn't her BFF Zoe Quinn release a game that had SUPER slim white blonde women despite her complaining about the same shit Anita did?

kiiltz

Remember kids, it's simply flat out wrong for men to enjoy the sight of attractive women.

If you find a woman sexually attractive, that of course can only mean you hate women and see them as below you, certainly there's not a single man alive that enjoys beautiful women and isn't also a raging misogynist?
Tbf the argument she presents, at least from what I remember, is something along the lines of games perpetuating it's toxic culture which I personally believe has some basis in truth (take a look at any multiplayer/MMO community as an example). I detest Anita as much as anyone but there's no denying the "response" (death and rape threats, etc) she's received is inexcusable not to mention made it more difficult for any forum of legitimate discussion or criticism.

That said I hate this emphasis on "muh representation" that's become so prevalent in recent years in regards to basically all creative fields.

kiiltz

Well, usually when I'm sick of someone I just ignore them instead of doing anything extreme but I'm an odd duck.

Saber

Gold Member
Company: How do you do, fellow fans?

We heard you. And because of that we gonna make more games with only female leads and no female sexualization.

Thats right. Women should not wear revealing clothes in battle for their lifes.

Anita: You guys did the right thing.

Pre-order? No thanks, I don't play games.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Tbf the argument she presents, at least from what I remember, is something along the lines of games perpetuating it's toxic culture which I personally believe has some basis in truth (take a look at any multiplayer/MMO community as an example). I detest Anita as much as anyone but there's no denying the "response" (death and rape threats, etc) she's received is inexcusable not to mention made it more difficult for any forum of legitimate discussion or criticism.

That said I hate this emphasis on "muh representation" that's become so prevalent in recent years in regards to basically all creative fields.

This isnt a games problem this is just a people problem. The kid actor who was Olly in Game of Thrones got death threats for killing Jon, Anno got threats for the End of Evangelion, etc, etc. There's a few cartoonists who had their lives and the lives of their families threatened for depicting certain individuals too.

Is there 50% of women working in the industry? Nope.
Is there 50% of women buying and playing core video games? Nope.
Is there 50% of women maintaining and being active in the video game institutions and communities? Nope.

Therefor fuck you.

Petrae

Maybe EA noticed that the “Frequency” of content that SarkREEEEsian and its ilk “creates” isn’t notable enough to donate cash to.

Do some more “work”. Earn the visibility to be considered for more handouts over and above the donations already received. Being an angry “feminist” who does nothing but complain about video games— which said “feminist” has admitted to knowing nothing about— isn’t and shouldn’t be enough to warrant handouts from a video game company.

Geki-D

Banned
Oh boy Evilore it's been a while! Didn't expect to see you here so what a pleasant, nostalgic surprise hahah
You're surprised to see Evilore on Neogaf?
BB963C3.gif

"What EA does don't mean shit if they aren't giving ME money."

It's so clear she's only really in this to make some paper. What a dumb Tweet, though. How anyone can still take a organisation -where the founder makes such silly, egocentric Tweets that both demean the company giving the donations and the other charities receiving them - seriously is beyond me. Totally childish and unprofessional.

I am so ready for that pendulum swing back in the other direction we keep hearing about.

Religious conservative mothers complaining about dungeons and dragons being satanic sounds like the quaintest problem in the world right about now

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Well, usually when I'm sick of someone I just ignore them instead of doing anything extreme but I'm an odd duck.

Normally this is the correct response.

I would say though that the wider gaming industry has made some indications that activist types may be allowed to influence the content in future games. Based on this I think it is necessary to speak out to some degree.

Yes, threats etc are unacceptable BUT I don't think bad ideas should be allowed to go unchallenged just because the person coming up with the bad ideas also gets threats.

You know so let's say EA announces Star Wars Battlefront 3 and it's a lootbox laden, pay to win, monstrosity. If the team behind the monetization and lootboxes gets to say "I am recieving threats" and then we all have to shut up, how is that fair?

I think that's an aspect that is often missed here. Anita showed up and pretty much all of the major gaming news outlets and some people within the industry made open indications along the lines of "we should listen to her and also her critics are just toxic males". Should that really be ignored?

If you have a hobby that you care passionately about then I do not think that "just ignore it" is an appropriate response to someone who looks like they have designs on changing the hobby, but apparently with very little knowledge and/or experience of the hobby.

If it's fine to criticize the games themselves then why isn't it also fine to criticize the critics?
Surely your point is equally true of Anita? She could just ignore gaming if she doesn't like it?

The critic can't ignore things she sees wrong with the industry but the best advice to critics of that critic is "just ignore it".
And if the critic, in turn, wishes to criticize her own critics by calling them trolls or whatever shouldn't she ignore them too?
Surely "just ignore it" applies to her twice actually? She should just ignore the games she doesn't like and she should ignore the people calling her out? She's doubly guilty in that regard.

Brazen

I don't think that's fair at all really and completely misses the mark concerning video games. To me games have only perpetuated an exposure to various cultures, ideologies, emotions, and all other experiences that the creators wanted to show me while playing. Perspectives that I might not have experienced to this day if not for video games and therefor I might have been worse off or a more narrow-minded person. On the contrary I've never played a game that has taught me to be hateful (or any other negatives) even when I played MMOs or participated in any gaming community.

Yes communities might have toxic people in them but that goes for any social place because that's just a part of human nature. Anita doesn't have a point.

MiguelItUp

I was so happy not reading her name in quite sometime. It's hard to ignore that she's just screaming to remain relevant or receive attention. The say she came out into the industry I hated her, and nothing has changed since then. Honestly I think she was the first real taste of the whole SJW nonsense that made me concerned for our future. I couldn't believe someone like her legitimately had those opinions and thoughts, and it wasn't satire. The epitomy of the kind of person that must be fun at parties and to be around in general.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
How the hell is Anita Sarkeesian's Feminist Frequency "constantly struggling with funding"?!

In 2014 they raised nearly half a million. In 2018 they raised almost $200,000
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1137451034324938752

newsflash genius: $200,000 is $300,000 less than $500,000.

so they raised 300k less money 4 years later.

usually you call it struggling when something becomes more difficult to do over time.

let's break it down further: with fundraising, a higher number is harder to reach than a lower number.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

She is transparently petty, self-centered, selfish, greedy and obnoxious. What a terrible, sorry excuse for a human being.
Indeed. But she has found her fifteen minutes and found that she liked it. She has been able to travel and received attention and no doubt has been able to cash in quite a bit on it all. While you can hate the message and the effect being had, it is rather brilliant in the scheme of things. She found a way to cash in on the stupidity and feeble mindedness rampant out there these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom