• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anno 1800 announced

prudislav

love to see them back with history setting ... but after the mess that were their previous titles , i am not really sure what to expect

Zeknurn

This has been a great week for strategy games. I'm glad to see that they're going back to a historical setting with Anno because sci-fi wasn't interesting at all.

Södy

Nice.

Winter 2018. God damn it, why tease it now!? I still love 1404. 2070 and 2205 never got my interest.

Yoshi88

Great news. I loved every (!) Anno to date, and aside from the setting, the breath of fresh air with the connected, different regions and more complex prebuilt islands in, modular buildings, separated warfare etc. in 2205 were great.

First time my PC will be beefy enough for the new Anno. Hope they can transfer some of the world events (politics, trading) into a more historic setting.

Azusa

http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/anno-1800-zurueck-in-die-vergangenheit,3318239.html

Cant find in English but multiplayer and random islands are back.

Zurück in Anno 1800

• Multiplayer-Modus
  • aufwändig inszenierte Story-Kampagne
  • konkurrierende KI-Gegner
  • zufallsgenerierte Inselwelten
  • militärische Auseinandersetzungen in der Heimregion
  • Produktionsketten mit objektbasiertem Gütertransport
  • Handelsrouten zwischen Inseln
  • erweiterbarer Hafen
  • Monumentalbauten
  • Diplomatiesystem
  • Zufallsereignisse und Katastrophen

cyba89

Södy;246681752 said:
Nice.

Winter 2018. God damn it, why tease it now!? I still love 1404. 2070 and 2205 never got my interest.

Winter 2018 is only half a year away.

Holy shit fucking yes! I fucking love the Anno series!

Also:
1+8+0+0 = 9.
Still keeping it up Blue Bytes. :p

Too bad they can never do one in the 20th century. :p

Not Drake

Södy;246681752 said:
Winter 2018. God damn it, why tease it now!?

Is it possible it might land in January or February 2018? It's technically "winter" but I'm not sure whether it works like that in corporate language.

Clessidor

To be honest, I kinda hoped Blue Byte would go for a new Settlers in 2018 instead, because that year will be their 30 years anniversary, but 1800 looks good. I think after 2205 it was time to go back into a historical setting 1800 also looks quite interesting.

Just I wonder why they still go PC only with the series. I think Anno could be ported on consoles without too much fickeling around with the controls. Of course mouse and keyboard are the best way to play such a game, but I think pc building games are quite easier to do for consoles then pc rts.

new Anno and a new Tropico :O both sort of featuring the industrial revolution upon new frontiers/islands

my sugar exports and industrial mills shall thrive again -- the phantom plantation and the mills of liberty!

Zeknurn

To be honest, I kinda hoped Blue Byte would go for a new Settlers in 2018 instead, because that year will be their 30 years anniversary.

Same here, but at this point I would gladly accept another remake of Settlers 2 or one for the 20th anniversary for Settlers 3 next year if they cannot get the funding for a proper sequel.

Settlers is dead aswell as HoMM :-( thx Ubi

Blue Byte has been on on a hiring spree for a studio in Berlin which people theorize is working on HoMM.

Clessidor

Settlers is dead aswell as HoMM :-( thx Ubi

I wouldn't say that Settlers is dead yet. Anno just has a higher priority. One problem was, that their last attempt for a new Settlers was turned into it's own IP (Champions of Anteria) which came out last year. I think there is still some interested in Settlers from BlueByte and Ubisoft's side.

Protome

Awesome, this should be great. I ended up not really liking the scifi themed Anno games as much as 1701 and 1404.

prudislav

I wouldn't say that Settlers is dead yet. Anno just has a higher priority. One problem was, that their last attempt for a new Settlers was turned into it's own IP (Champions of Anteria) which came out last year. I think there is still some interested in Settlers from BlueByte and Ubisoft's side.
yeah thats why i said its dead as basically original Stellers Anteria pitch was dreadfull anyway and the reworked Champions game wasnt much better ...and game before that was also a mess mostly haunted by weird decisions and Ubi's 1st push to online-only GaaS bullshit

Blue Byte has been on on a hiring spree for a studio in Berlin which people theorize is working on HoMM.
who knows .... their last game CoA was dreadfull and other than they didnt much these past years ... mostly co-developing Annos and being buried in dev of Ubi's GaaS franchises (For Hodor and Skull Bones) ... its been already 10 years since Settlers 7 :-( and HoMM franchise under Ubi wings already killed various studios so not a good news if its true

Great news. I like that it's in the past again. I enjoyed 2030, but it didn't really feel "advanced". It was more of a futuristic skin with the same gameplay. The underwater-stuff was a good idea but not that well implemented IMO. Didn't play the Sci-Fi game yet. 1703 is still my favorite.

xrnzaaas

Sweet but they need to finally release a proper Anno game on the consoles, if Sudden Strike 4 or Cities Skylines can be comfortably played on them so should Anno.

DocSeuss

I liked 2205 a lot. 2070 I'm actually stuck on a mission where they want me to get units that require rice, but none of my islands are capable of growing rice... No idea what to do.

Neat to see them return to a historical setting, but this is what, two or three Anno games with no Settlers in sight?

Jb

Really happy to see them go back to the past.
Future settings are neat but they lose a lot of what make the older Anno games so charming.

Clessidor

yeah thats why i said its dead as basically original Stellers Anteria pitch was dreadfull anyway and the reworked Champions game wasnt much better ...and game before that was also a mess mostly haunted by weird decisions and Ubi's 1st push to online-only GaaS bullshit
who knows .... their last game CoA was dreadfull and other than they didnt much these past years ... mostly co-developing Annos and being buried in dev of Ubi's GaaS franchises (For Hodor and Skull Bones) ... its been already 10 years since Settlers 7 :-( and HoMM franchise under Ubi wings already killed various studios so not a good news if its true

BlueByte is a quite big company (350 employees) with more than one development team and probably capable of doing several projects. They said last year, that they were focusing now on three aspects. 1. Core IPs like Anno and Settlers, and yes they mentioned Settlers last year. 2. co-development for AAA-Ubisof titles 3. doing software tools for the Ubisoft family.
My guess is that Anno 1800 is done by BlueByte Mainz, the same team which did Anno 2205.
Champions of Anternia was done by a different team. And we should keep in mind, that that project had a lot of issues during it's development, considering that it was completely redirected during it's development cycle.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I liked 2205 a lot. 2070 I'm actually stuck on a mission where they want me to get units that require rice, but none of my islands are capable of growing rice... No idea what to do.

Neat to see them return to a historical setting, but this is what, two or three Anno games with no Settlers in sight?

Yeah, unless you want to be generous and include Champions of Anteria, which was originally The Settlers: Kingdoms of Anteria. The game was rebranded just four months before release.

Top Bottom