• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another key Banjo-Kazooie developer Ed Bryan joins Playtonic Games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Rare veteran Bryan is the artist behind many characters in the Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Viva Pinata games. He is best known for creating Banjo character Mumbo-Jumbo.

Playtonic – which released new game Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair in October – already has a vastly experienced character artist team comprised of Steve Mayles (Banjo-Kazooie, DKC), Mark Stevenson (DK64, DKC) and Kev Bayliss (Killer Instinct, Battletoads).

Bryan had previously contributed a concept to Yooka-Laylee for character Dr. Puzz. Since 2011 he has been working on children’s books and apps.

With Bryan on board, Playtonic now employs the full character art team behind the Banjo-Kazooie games.

Jacknapes

Just reading through Twitter and people were having mixed feelings for Playtonic joining Microsoft. Some supporting the idea, some against it. It didn't make a lot of sense seeing as Playtonic formed from staff at Rare who wanted to make games they wanted to instead. I get that Microsoft have changed their gaming form, and now give developers creative freedom to do as they want, but with the financial backing.

But for me, it wouldn't make sense Playtonic joining them. Partnering with them would be the better solution.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Good that they got him. I just wished they could also snatch Gregg Mayles, but even if he was interested, Playtonic could probably not afford him, considering his position at Rare.

Shifty

I'm sure this hire will be a massive boon for playtonic now they've scaled back to making unimpressive 2.5D platformers.

I've just started the first Yooka Laylee and it is very reminiscent of the old N64 games. Having a lot of unexpected fun with it

Shin

Banned
Rare should make it dammit, this world needs those kind of games, Nintendo has a monopoly on that goodness.

Genx3

Too bad. I thought MS might have signed them up to make a new Banjo.

Come on MS you need a Banjo Studio. Playtonic makes so much sense. They can do Banjo, Conker and other old Rare games that Rare refuses to do.

Playtonic could rename their company as RareToo and it still wouldnt matter. There is no worth in the franchise "Banjo" or weight In "the spirit of Banjo".

Smash was its swan song games.

Translation: Banjo franshise is dead. One could even say that genre of game (coin collecting 3d platformers) is Dead

All the fandom narrative in "Rare refuses" or "Rare can't" make a Banjo game is dumb. They know there is no mass fanbase in the franchise and they arent in the niche hardcore market. They want Main stream casuals success.

Last edited:
Top Bottom