• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another new Quest 2 Customer Thread with Few Questions

Vognerful

Hi Everyone.

So I bought the Oculus Quest 2 last week (I got 30USD referral, don't worry) and I am really enjoying it. I now this may sound cringy but the 360 clips on youtube is like something I had never experienced before. It is like, your mind is totally tricked by what you see and only the visual artifacts proves that it is just an illusion. I also got starter bundle of that golf and boxing game with other stuff.

So here are my questions.

I am having hard time reading text on it. It is either I have a problem with my eyesight or the resolution is not enough for small text. Example, is when I tried the 3d animations, the text clipboard on my left hand was not readable unless I put it directly in front of my face. I increased text size to large which helped me a little, but it did not affect the Airlink feature. Any one can advise on this?

What do I use that black silicone piece for? that comes with the box?

Any recommended accessories that you have used?

I have been using it at night mostly. next day after I wake up, I feel really weird and my eyes are strained. What is the best regiment to follow when using it?

Any tricks or stuff that I should know about? I used both the standing and couch systems.

I will not ask about games because I saw many threads about them.

Thanks in advance.

pachura

I'm about to borrow a Oculus Quest 2 from my friend - mostly to try the famous Half-Life: Alyx. He doesn't have this game in his library. The headset is linked to his secondary Facebook account (not his main/personal profile).
  1. If I run HL Alyx on my computer with OQ2 connected via a cable, do I still need to log in to OQ2 with a Facebook account? Or will the VR headset be treated as a "dumb monitor" that simply outputs whatever the computer sends to it?
  2. Let's say my friend gives me the credentials of his secondary FB account. In order to play HL Alyx, does my Steam account (where I will purchase Alyx) have to be in any way linked to this FB account? Does it matter?
  3. Regarding the "Oculus VR link" cable for PC connection - is it included in the OQ2 box, or does it need to be bought separately? On the PC side, it plugs into the USB-C port, right?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Beechos

The black silicon piece is like a spacer for people to use it with glasses so it doesnt touch or scratch the lens. You might want to adjust the headset physically if txt looks blurry or use that silicon spacer if you wear glasses.

You can play steam vr games on it with a link cable attached to a pc or wirelessly.

Last edited:

Beechos

The black silicon piece is like a spacer for people to use it with glasses. You might want to adjust the headset physically if txt looks blurry.

You can play steam vr games on with via a link cable attached to a pc and wirelessly. Vr games are damn expensive but occasionally you can find a humble or fanatical bundle of vr games for cheap. Just dont expect any heavy hitters. Most vr games/experiences are still currently shovelware.

Most people get the elite strap as an accessory since its alot easier to adjust. Ive never used it myself personally.

You can also have a power bank attached to your oculus and leave it in you pocket or something to extend battery life.

Beechos

I'm about to borrow a Oculus Quest 2 from my friend - mostly to try the famous Half-Life: Alyx. He doesn't have this game in his library. The headset is linked to his secondary Facebook account (not his main/personal profile).
  1. If I run HL Alyx on my computer with OQ2 connected via a cable, do I still need to log in to OQ2 with a Facebook account? Or will the VR headset be treated as a "dumb monitor" that simply outputs whatever the computer sends to it?
  2. Let's say my friend gives me the credentials of his secondary FB account. In order to play HL Alyx, does my Steam account (where I will purchase Alyx) have to be in any way linked to this FB account? Does it matter?
  3. Regarding the "Oculus VR link" cable for PC connection - is it included in the OQ2 box, or does it need to be bought separately? On the PC side, it plugs into the USB-C port, right?
Thanks!
1. Not sure im always online but im sure theres prob an offline mode.
2. No, nothing needs to be linked. Its like casting a video to your tv basically.
3. Link cable needs to be puechased separately. Its basically a usb c cable i think.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Get a "Halo" strap first of all. It's amazing.
What GPU do you have? Those are for PC only:
I recommend to set super-sampling (resolution) at maximum in Oculus Settings. Set refresh rate to 120 and use half refresh rate in Oculus Display Tool ("45fps ASW disabled") if you need performance. Also increase encoding bitrate to 500.
Problem that you will encounter is not GPU performance but V-RAM. Even launching Link can use up to 3GB of V-RAM. If you have 8GB - set textures to medium or low otherwise you will get in-game stalls.
Also I really suggest you to search "Luke Ross VR mod".

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Don’t use the link cable, or even the built-in AirLink, if you want performance (or convenience for that matter). Use Virtual Desktop:

You buy it once in the Oculus, then you can launch it anytime from the headset to connect to your PC on the same network (ideally, in the same room as the router or not too very far from it).

Games will run far smoother / higher frame rate etc on the same GPU, compared to the official link cable which just wastes massive resources for some reason.

Droxcy

If your gameplay or readability is little blurry measure your IPD with an app on your phone and then when you go to adjust your quests lenses there's sorta an in-between setting from 1-2-3 if those settings don't match your eye distance the ones between the main ones might be better for you. I'm sitting between 1 & 2 and it's perfect.

Top Bottom