• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another racist bit in the NFL! Junior Seau this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matlock

Banned
http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/06/060304nflSlur.htm

(Miami, Florida) The Miami Dolphins were doing damage control Thursday after linebacker Junior Seau used the word "faggot" in a speech Wednesday night as he accepted an award for leadership.

Teammates had overwhelmingly voted to give Seau the award. The homophobic comments came as he described the camaraderie between him and his fellow players before a crowd of Dolphins boosters and sports reporters at the Signature Grand.

"This is a great group of guys we have on this team," Seau said. "You have to understand. In that locker room, there is no color barrier. We do not have a color barrier. We are a unit that cares. The reason I say cares is because it's so hard to let things go when you care.

"I would say love and everybody would say you're a faggot, but I'm not. We care in that locker room. My feminine side might come out once in a while, but I'm telling you, there is a lot of love in that locker room."

Fort Lauderdale City Commissioner Dean Trantalis who is gay called the remark deeply offensive.

"Unfortunately, there are a few left in our society who do not understand the differences in people," Trantalis said. "That comment is not only offensive, but it's a putdown for anyone who is deemed different from the rest of society.

Thursday, Seau issued an apology.

"A joke that came out last night, due to my stupidity, is something we have to deal with today," Seau said.

"With that, I am very sad and I apologize. I really do. I learned a lesson, I know that. The things we say, the words are very powerful and they can be very hurtful."

The Dolphins also issued an apology. But, it is not Seau's first brush with offensive language.

Last year when asked about African American San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson, Seau said, "You just befriend him. You give him couple of pieces of watermelon, load him up with some fried chicken and say, `Keep eating.'"

Matlock

Banned
Actually, I was pointing out his deroggatory term against homosexuals, but...the last paragraph works as well.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
meh, that last paragraph is stretching it a bit. If this other guy specifically loves fried chicken and watermelon, and they actually ate it togeter.

I used to live next door to a black person, I loved his barbecued ribs and collared greens. thats not racist, he cooked it. From the bluurb there it is really hard to understand the context (the question ect. isn't shown) so its hard to tell.

now if he said "dem blacks love some fried chicken, keep some in the fridge just encase one of em comes over" it would be a different story." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom