• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another thread, another user loses new thread priviledges

Alcibiades

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19509017/

from the article:

Like sleeping in? Wiis are also available online, but at a hefty premium to the console's $250 retail price. A slightly used one from an Amazon.com seller called "Hard-To-Find-Stuff" recently listed for $595 plus $3.99 shipping. Another cost $398 from a different seller.

"The PlayStation 1 was certainly a big introduction, but I don't recall any game system more than six months after its launch still having this kind of demand," said Chris Byrne, an independent toy analyst.

Cheers to those of us who saw this coming - a little blast from the past:

alcibiades on 12/20/06 said:
PS3 demand just isn't there.

Sony is probably gonna meet their shipment goals for the most part 800,000-1 million before '07, but look at the Wii prices on Ebay and PS3 prices.

Nobody wants a PS3. The Wii is gonna be hard to keep in stock until 2008. Everybody wants one. 6 million before April '06 is a given if Nintendo meets figures. Wii Sports, as simple as it is, is a system seller. It's like the DS exept even more crazy because of word of mouth at parties. The GCN was already a party machine, the Wii takes it to the next level. Even if gamers and Nintendo fans didn't exist, casuals and non-gamers are lapping it up and the media is only gonna help fuel this for the next year.

Goodbye Sony, good riddance.

Talk to store employees about Wii inquiries. Demand isn't close to being met. I see moms looking for Wiis, and if their kids don't get one for Christmas they will one day.

Wii could survive on half-ass ports and minigame games until summer at least. Christmas is big, but people are going to want a Wii just like everyone else. Not just gamers and Nintendo fans, but people that haven't played games in a while and nongamers. That's a huge audience to tap into. Not to mention kids in school talking about this. Word of mouth is positive and the media wants something to talk about related to games. They just love that PS3 is sucking and Wii is popular and are gonna fuel the fire about Wii well into next year. It's so different, even if the games aren't there, it's gonna be popular.

That said, the games are going to be there. VC + Wario Ware + Metroid + Mario + 3rd party stuff.

Alcibiades

btw, at this point, Sony does seem to have gotten their crap together (best looking games 1st party + lots of hype from websites and magazines about their games), and combined with the overheating 360 problems, I really think you're gonna start seeing a 30/30/30 share as the year ends...

Alcibiades

, I still think Wii hardware will sell the most, but Microsoft really screwed up with hardware and if you look at all the forums, word is spreading about faulty units... if PS3 can drop $100-$150 at E3 AND Nintendo continues with shipping problems, then it's possible to end the year with closer markshare (unless Nintendo builds up supply for Christmas and starves supply before November...)

I think I'm gonna get a PS3 just because it's losing. I always liked having the unpopular guy in the crowd (Gamecube) and playing all those games not too many people ever got to play.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I guess you get to eat, um, anti-crow.

anticrow.jpg

d[-_-]b said:
you still haven't had your thread making ability taken away? this is a very unpleasant surprise :(.
Let the guy post.

Anyway thanks for the heads up. Your guess was spot on, I really don't think Wii's will be easy to fin till 2008 as well. It's just waiting and rain checks for now.

Tideas

Banned
so now the question is, is nintendo creating the limited supply by not producing as much as they're able to ;).

Defuser

For crying out loud alcibiades ,just STFU.
Nobody cares whether your e-penis is growing due to the news or the 'I told you so'.
We don't need another speculawyer here.
After all that trolling in the OT and here I'm surprised your privileges still hasn't taken away yet.

Phthisis

Phew. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to go to sleep tonight if the situation tomorrow wasn't exactly the same as it's been for the last 8 months. Thanks for the update.

Kafel said:
There are still shipping issues, it's incredible.
Nintendo are cheap, they refuse to fly units- instead going for the slower and cheaper option of shipping them.

Sony when supply is constrained will actively fly units to where-ever they are needed. Nintendo just ignores it and lets people fight between the steady shipments.

Says a lot about their business practice I think.

fernoca

Well at least he can say he has the larges e-penis on NeoGAF! :lol
Too bad the same can't be said about the real one. :D

Orlics

Defuser said:
For crying out loud alcibiades ,just STFU.
Nobody cares whether your e-penis is growing due to the news or the 'I told you so'.
We don't need another speculawyer here.
After all that trolling in the OT and here I'm surprised your privileges still hasn't taken away yet.

why do you care so much? you could have put him on ignore by now.

Banned
lol at the people crying. You know if the wii bombed earlier this year like it was supposed to or whatever you would be blasting alcibiades like there was no tomorrow.

fernoca

lol at the people crying. You know if the wii bombed earlier this year like it was supposed to or whatever you would be blasting alcibiades like there was no tomorrow.

Teddman

Congrats, Alciblades, I mean it. The rest of GAF can't predict industry trends for shit, so you truly are a diamond in the rough. :D :lol

pswii60

Wii is in stock pretty much everywhere in the UK now, and has been for a couple of months across the rest of Europe. Demand is slowing albeit very slightly, but still far ahead of 360/ps3 at this point.

By the way Alcibiades, do you have pictures of yourself and awards and trophies put up all around your house? Do you stare at yourself in the mirror for 30 minutes of every day? Very vane.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
pswii60 said:
Wii is in stock pretty much everywhere in the UK now, and has been for a couple of months across the rest of Europe. Demand is slowing albeit very slightly, but still far ahead of 360/ps3 at this point.

By the way Alcibiades, do you have pictures of yourself and awards and trophies put up all around your house? Do you stare at yourself in the mirror for 30 minutes of every day? Very vane.

Wait, what? in stock? where, around the bedfordshire area they still are unable to be found, GAME has them occasionally (Both Stevenage and Bedford), argos around the area has 0, In Woolies, HMV, Virgin, Choices etc, I haven't seen one for months, maybe in the London area and major cities there is supply, but in middle england Wii is as rare as hens teeth, still.

*strokes launch Wii*

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
[anectodal]Went at media markt last week. Lots of Wii. Lots of PS3. Lots of X360. Went this week. No Wii to be found. Lots of PS3. Less X360[/anectodal]

pswii60

Stop It said:
Wait, what? in stock? where, around the bedfordshire area they still are unable to be found, GAME has them occasionally (Both Stevenage and Bedford), argos around the area has 0, In Woolies, HMV, Virgin, Choices etc, I haven't seen one for months, maybe in the London area and major cities there is supply, but in middle england Wii is as rare as hens teeth, still.

*strokes launch Wii*

In stock at my local GAME, Dixons, also Amazon, Comet, Toys R Us, Tesco, Gameplay, etc.

So yes, it's back in stock.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Stop It said:

*strokes launch Wii*

http://www.wiipreorder.co.uk/

Haunted

Alcibiades said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19509017/

from the article:

:( I thought you'd be quoting me. I was laughed out of two or three threads by predicting that the Wii will sell out on Zelda/Wii Sports/Wii Play (it wasn't released in the US at that time) alone until the summer.

*sigh*

test_account

XP-39C²
The demand has been met where i live. I just checked 4 online stores, everyone got Wii in stock :) One has had 100+ units in stock for like 2 weeks now.

Well since we are stroking ourselves and others for predictions, I have found a couple things from the past:

Razoric, 5-26-06

some people don't want a "jack of all trades, master of none" entertainment hub. some people don't want to forced to buy sony's proprietary shit to play madden 07. you'll be brought back into the real world soon (with japan being the first upset).

Oh, and my own little gem from 06-07-06, in response to positioning PS3 as a computer and regarding its future success:

Right. With what Sony has said. But the point that most of us are trying to get across is that from the consumer's perspective it is a bad move to pull stuff like this, and you keep implying that it is somehow positive. I am asking you to state one negative thing you could possibly see resulting from this in the market because there are a bunch. This isn't a smart move for Sony. Let me start the ball...

The videogame industry model has always been based on hardware makers grabbing royalties from 3rd party software or making a crapton on their own good software sales. That way, they can take a hit on their hardware in some fashion.

So now, Sony wants users to be able to upgrade their videogame hardware like a computer. They can use it for PS3 games, or they can use it to surf the web and store data like a computer. They can also use it to play blu-ray movies. Let's look at some consumer break downs.

Gamers
We've got gamers...who just want to game. They want to invest in $50 purchases every now and then to entertain themselves or they want to buy them more frequently. Either way, they want to game. But to game with Playstation 3, they need to invest $500 at least, $600 if they want all the features. Already there's mixed signals from Sony from a consumer perspective. Which do I buy? So now we've got at least a $500 barrier to entry before a gamer can play even one game. Tack on a game, and you are at $550 possibly $560. The demand curve is taking some major hits on the software side. For gamers, Sony cannibalizes the value of the software by making a huge hardware cost. The software becomes less valuable because it is harder to attain. Gamers buy less of it because they can afford less of it. And the reason? Because gamers were forced to buy into Sony's next gen dvd format, a format that might not have value to them because they game to game and not to use an HDTV to play movies or see a clean image. Increased storage? Sure. But a gamer isn't going to scream the benefits of Blu-ray because of its increased storage. It will scream the benefits of the good games that take advantage of that storage. So to a gamer, Blu-ray isn't an exact fit in terms of adding value and cannibalizes the gamers software more than it enhances it. Additional hard drive space and memory upgrade? From a console gamers perspective those are things which really don't have a lot of value because a hard drive doesn't necessarily complement software, and memory is just representative of another barrier to software.

Does a gamer value the PC aspects of Playstation 3? Perhaps. Internet browsing is definitely a benefit. The thing doesn't seem to be able to word process and it doesn't have Windows, the most recognized operating system in the world on it. But wait. I already bought a PC for all this stuff anyway. So as a gamer, does this aspect add value for me? No not really. I'm not sure I would say it takes away from the value of the PS3, but I wouldn't say it adds anything as I already have a computer with all my files etc. Online gaming benefits me, but its nothing hideously new that I can't find on a 360. These things I didn't ask for, but I am paying for them. And my PC does a lot of them a lot better, especially upgrading if I want to go that route and invest in it.

I'm a mass market gamer and I came to the store to get Playstation 3, the next-gen gaming machine that is going to improve my experience ten fold. But I have to pay $500 for it? Wait $600 for all the features? Wait almost $800 when retailers force me to buy games with it? Hmm. Maybe I'll wait a year...or two to get it.

PC User

Basic vs. PC Gamer

Basic

I'm a basic PC user and I want to type documents, print, use e-mail, use Excel to do some calculations and other Microsoft programs to do some other things.

Case 1 - I already have a computer I want to upgrade and I'm not interested in a PS3 (most people already have computers)

Case 2 - Looking for a brand new computer, my old one has too much crap, I can't build it

Case 2
Wait, you say I can buy the Playstation 3 to do most of these PC things? Hmm. How much does it cost? $600? Sounds less than a computer, sounds like a good deal if it is more advanced. Wait, it doesn't come with a monitor, I have to purchase it? Wait, I have to get keyboard and mouse too? Okay. That's pretty rational. Wait, I can't upgrade most of the things within it if I want to in the future? Hold on a second, it uses an operating system that isn't windows? Sony doesn't have access to Microsoft Office so I won't know how to use all those programs (assuming they are available on PS3)? What you say? It plays videogames. I'm not interested in those same old things, I'm a person from the mass market of PC users who doesn't game but uses PC for life things. Wait, actually. I've never heard of the Playstation 3's PC capabilities because I'm a normal PC user and I don't pay attention to the videogame industry or the videogame section of retailers, where Playstation 3 will likely be stored. This doesn't seem like it is up my alley. I would prefer a normal PC that I am used to.

PC Gamer
Wow, a really powerful PC for $600 with lots of bells and whistles. I can upgrade my hard drive in the future. I have a monitor I can connect to it. I can use the internet. Hmm. Linux sounds good, but wait...as a mass market PC gamer (if there are any left), I would rather use windows. And wait...I already invested in a $2000 desktop with tons more bells and whistles last year. I bought it because my family uses the computer for all its other uses and I use it for games. So it has both power and functionality. My family wouldn't necessarily understand linux, or non-microsoft programs easily. They are dumbcakes but they are like most Americans at least. I don't know if such a drastic switch is worth it. Wait, I can't upgrade it either in most ways? It plays pretty Blu-ray dvds, that's nice, but I'm not a fan of movies...I'm a PC gamer looking for the best PC hardware and the best games. What's that? The Playstation 3 will be outdated relatively soon in terms of processing power and graphics? Can I upgrade those things? Wait, I hate consoles anyway so I never even heard about this and continued to buy my ridiculous PCs. I think I'm going to stick to what I am used to...PCs.

Obsessive compulsive Tech DVD Watcher
Playstation 3 is so cool! I already have an HDTV and I am going to buy it to watch Blu-ray's prettiness. I'm not really representative the population out there, most of whom don't buy tech just because or don't own an HDTV. I'll pay $600 for that blu-ray player though. But wait, is Blu-ray the definitive standard? Is it going to win the war of next-gen dvd formats? Is it risky investing in a blu-ray player just because? Probably not, I'm tech obsessed. But do I help Sony attain economies of scale? Not really, I represent a small portion of the population.

Obsessive compulsive DVD watcher
Hello! I love DVDs, I have like 1000 of them and I love watching them over and over while eating popcorn and making out with my girlfriend/boyfriend/cow. I will keep buying DVDs because I love them and I will keep adding to my collection. What's that you say? I can watch my DVDs in better resolution etc., with Blu-ray? What's blu-ray(because most of us haven't heard of it)? Oh....so its the latest tech and the Blu-ray dvds are superior in quality. That sounds great. I can play my Dvds on the blu-ray player, right? Awesome. This sounds better and better. How much do I have to pay for it? $600? Oh, and I need an HDTV too (most of us don't have it)? That's a pretty heavy investment just for my Dvds to look nice on screen. I think I'll pass. But wait, it plays videogames too? That sounds great, its a benefit, but I really love DVDs and I'm not much of a gamer.

Hybrid of EVERYTHING
By definition, if someone is interested in all these functions, there can be no more than 25% of the population that would invest in a PS3 as a result because HDTV hasn't reached more than that number of the population. But the figure of people who would purchase it is likely much less, as some might not be interested in paying $600 just to increase the screen quality even if they have an HDTV. Also, many of the HDTV users don't necessarily play games. Etc. ETc. Is there REALLY that much unquestionable potential here? Hmm.

I have likely missed a group of consumers who would PERHAPS be interested in this things. If so, please add. But one must admit...with all these options for each group of consumers to reject the Playstation 3 as the best way for them to do their respective activities, is there not incredible risk and therefore might it be a mistake for Sony to be tacking on bell after whistle and making things more complicated and super-hybrid like? I say yes.

Still editing....

IF Sony were inventing the PC or the games machine for the first time, this strategy might work because it would be so new that adoption rates would be ridiculous. But both industries are incredibly well developed (especially PC) and very saturated (Especially PC).

Videogame Industry
Oh and wait, then there's the videogame industry, the thing off of which the Playstation brand was built and the area where it is most known. Hold on a second...what if users don't adopt this monstrosity of a machine? $500 or $600? $60 games? 3rd parties have to work HOW hard to make the games look next gen? If the users aren't there, where are their profits coming from? The console industry has always excelled at focusing on games. It is why it has worked because it is usually ahead of PC in terms of pure gaming bliss. But if it loses that focus, will it continue to hold up? Is there risk here too?

Conclusion
I'm not saying the Playstation 3 is going to flop. I am saying that Sony is taking risk after risk branching into all these ridiculous areas. You figure they would expand things one at a time, but they are exploding with all these PC comparisons console hybrid of death that you can do everything and anything with but there are limitations so can you really? It is really quite a risky bet, one which could go wrong in so many ways because Sony isn't the best of the best at a lot of these areas such as internet browsing system creation and stability etc. And what I am saying, Gofreak, is that yes...there are potential negatives to these things that Sony is doing. And I think they should be recognized.

It's not quite at "in stock" levels at all UK stores (my local Argos doesn't have any) but it's improved for sure. Which is probably why games like Wii Play manage to show improvements in the UK charts.

andthebeatgoeson

Visualante said:
Nintendo are cheap, they refuse to fly units- instead going for the slower and cheaper option of shipping them.

Sony when supply is constrained will actively fly units to where-ever they are needed. Nintendo just ignores it and lets people fight between the steady shipments.

Says a lot about their business practice I think.
Yeah, Sony is willing to do anything, including dooming a profitable buisness model, to help the consumer.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Alcibiades said:
and then you go ahead and quote yourself three times?

get over yourself.

Grecco

Funny thing is people still think somehow demand will die. Somehow like people are in an SD Coma and suddenly will be awaken to the 1080p Life. :lol

loosus

Banned
Holy shit, Alcibiades. What have you done. :lol

I wonder if your pre-GameCube predictions were so accurate.

Top Bottom