• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition coming on 3DS/Vita/WiiU/PS3/PS4/X1

Pennywise

I just stumpled on this across the German USK ratings.

WhIKHIU.png

Platforms listed are 3DS,Vita,WiiU,PS3,PS4 and X1.

Found nothing on the 360 or any other information.

Was this already known ?
Don't Shinobi me if old.

Hasney

Was about to say "Wasn't this terrible?" But I got it confused with the Flashback remake rather than this just being a port. Phew. Will grab on Vita and hopefully cross-buy/save minimum with PS4.

dock

I hope it will have music this time.

It doesn't have music?

I've yet to play Another World, despite always meaning to. I'm often at a loss as to where would be the best place to play it, and which version is definitive. I don't remember whether I ever bought it on PC.

L Thammy

Oh man, I am all over this. I'm going to leave my hands off of the controller and die immediately after the opening cutscene in order to replicate the true Out of This World experience.

ekim

I just stumpled on this across the German USK ratings.

WhIKHIU.png

Platforms listed are 3DS,Vita,WiiU,PS3,PS4 and X1.

Found nothing on the 360 or any other information.

Was this already known ?
Don't Shinobi me if old.

I just did the same and was preparing the thread. lol You were also looking for Resident Evil stuff? :D

derExperte

Is that the one that's on the Ouya atm?

And PC, iOS and Android.

It doesn't have music?

I've yet to play Another World, despite always meaning to. I'm often at a loss as to where would be the best place to play it, and which version is definitive. I don't remember whether I ever bought it on PC.

It's available on Steam and GOG so check your accounts there. :) I played through AW for the first time on PC and I would call it a great remake/port, has easier difficulty settings, checkpoints, level select and you can toggle between old and new (which are just like the old ones but a bit more detailed) graphics on the fly.

L Thammy

Oh, wait, 20th anniversary edition is the existing remake? I thought it was going to be a new one for some reason. :|

Pennywise

Oh, wait, 20th anniversary edition is the existing remake? I thought it was going to be a new one for some reason. :|

Well, they already invested in the remake and people who played it, already mentioned that it was good.
So it's not really suprising.

derExperte

The game was made in 1991 so next stop would a 25th ann. ed. but I don't know what they could significantly improve without ruining it á la Flashback.

Ubersnug

As much as this game has a special place in my heart, I'm not sure if I can bring myself to buying it for a 4th or 5th time....

orioto

Good Art™
Lovely, it will be interesting to see it in 3D on 3ds, but will look gorgeous on Vita screen.. Tough choice!

One of the game that marked me the most back in the days. Nice bday! I should do an other art for it :p

I already own it on my phone (which is a horrible way to play this game) and I grabbed it on Steam as soon as it showed up there. But I won't resist grabbing it for console if it shows up, it's just too good and I have too many fond memories of the SNES version.

Carnby

It doesn't have music?

Nope. If you are more familiar with the SNES version you will recall it had great music. The PC version has no music at all.

It almost ruined the experience for me.

It doesn't have music?

Added on console ports for some reason, I can only assume they wanted to kill the atmosphere :D

km3k

Neo Member
Hopefully it will be better than the Android version of the 20th anniversary edition. I found that one to be buggy and not control well at all.

I have the PC edition and its fantastic. Well, you kinda have to be a fan of it originally i guess, as i can see the trial and error-ness of it pissing off alot of newbies. Deadlight was a similar game int hat it required alot of trial and error and people ripped that game a new one, even tho i quite enjoyed it.

Good to hear - I will definitely check it out, for the right price. I picked it up on Android a couple of years ago, and while it's still an interesting game I couldn't finish it because the controls were horrible.

How was the sort-of-sequel Heart of the Alien? I know of it but never checked it out.

derExperte

Nope. If you are more familiar with the SNES version you will recall it had great music. The PC version has no music at all.

It almost ruined the experience for me.

I wouldn't call the SNES music great. More like an overproduced, tacked on abomination. You may disagree because that's the version you played first and some subtle background music wouldn't necessarily be bad but the remake stays true to the original vision of the creator (=Amiga/Atari versions) and I prefer that over someone else tinkering with the game.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
lol, I've bought so many versions of this game.

And yes, if they include Heart of the Alien, I may get it again.

Malio

It's a great game, but isn't this like the 3rd or 4th "re-release"? They are milking the fuck out of it.

nexen

It's a great game, but isn't this like the 3rd or 4th "re-release"? They are milking the fuck out of it.

Another World:
1991: Amiga, Apple IIgs, Atari ST, DOS
1992: SNES, Genesis
1993: Macintosh
1994: 3DO, Windows 3.x
1994: Sega CD (Heart of the Alien: Out of this World parts I and II)

Phone version?
2005: Symbian

Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition:
2006: Windows

Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition:
2011: iOS
2012: Android
2013: Ouya
2014: 3DS,Vita,WiiU,PS3,PS4 and X1.

I love the game, but ... c'mon.

edit: *sigh* if the price is right ($5), I'd be down for a vita version.

Yesss. Along with Shenmue, Another World is my favourite game of all time. I already have it on Mega Drive and PC, but will buy again on PS4 in an instant.

Reading up on Heart of the Alien, it doesn't seem Eric Chahi had any involvement in it, and from watching a playthrough on Youtube it really doesn't seem as good as the first game anyway. My guess is it will never accompany a release of the original game because Chahi probably wants to distance himself from it.

Top Bottom