• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Demo Impressions Thread

Stuart360

Read elsewhere the PS4 Pro has option to favor framerate by turning off super-sampling and runs between 45-60fps. Xbox X does not have this option.
I think it does. I was watching this Pro vid earlier and it def looks like its hovering aroung the 40-50fps at times -

It gives me hope with my PC then as i was thinking that i may have to lock the game to 30fps.
I hope they patch an unlocked framerate mode into the X version for the people that want it.

ultrazilla

ultrazilla ultrazilla

What platform do you plan on playing on for retail?

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered Really think my main will be PC. It just looks and plays(performance wise) much better than my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro(no shock of course).

I did pre-order and have the Legion of Dawn Edition paid off on my PS4 Pro.

The good news is that one of the developers at Bioware said the game will be optimized and running at 30fps at retail on consoles instead
of the massive performance/frame rate drops.

If you have a PS4, my handle on there is x_ultrazilla_x

Cheers!

Last edited:
You don't lose the games you buy though. I dunno, it depends. I found it worth it to pay 15 buck and get 3 codes and the ability to try the game out prior to purchasing. Seeing how broken the game was 6 weeks ago, I think it was a good investment. By time my next payment is up, Anthem will be fully released (Feb 15th, early access) so I don't feel 15 dollars is too much.

That's the way I look at it. I might end up paying ~$10 more or whatever but worth it.

Last edited:

NickFire

Haven't seen much feedback to get excited over, but I'm still planning to try it during the beta that everyone is invited too. And I don't put much stock in the crashes from the first demo. Honestly, it kind of gives me hope for a stable launch because I assume they will fix everything and in the process probably id other issues they can correct. Maybe I'm naive, but I just can't hate the devs. KOTOR and Mass Effect Trilogy are probably my favorite games to date.

Shmunter

I think it does. I was watching this Pro vid earlier and it def looks like its hovering aroung the 40-50fps at times -

It gives me hope with my PC then as i was thinking that i may have to lock the game to 30fps.
I hope they patch an unlocked framerate mode into the X version for the people that want it.

Yep that’s definitely 60fps in the underground sections on the Pro. Devs claims for 60fps down the line seems feasible after all. And certainly implementing a ‘favour framerate’ mode in the menus is warranted even now.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Haven't seen much feedback to get excited over, but I'm still planning to try it during the beta that everyone is invited too. And I don't put much stock in the crashes from the first demo. Honestly, it kind of gives me hope for a stable launch because I assume they will fix everything and in the process probably id other issues they can correct. Maybe I'm naive, but I just can't hate the devs. KOTOR and Mass Effect Trilogy are probably my favorite games to date.
That dev is dead. As for the beta demo issues, they may or may not be indicative of things to come. I'd say if the public demo goes well, I would be confident that they have things under control.

That dev is dead. As for the beta demo issues, they may or may not be indicative of things to come. I'd say if the public demo goes well, I would be confident that they have things under control.

I too hope the next demo phase is much smoother. Most of the negativity I’ve seen is about demo connectivity issues, not actual gameplay issues (though there is that too, in fairness).

Hendrick's

I too hope the next demo phase is much smoother. Most of the negativity I’ve seen is about demo connectivity issues, not actual gameplay issues (though there is that too, in fairness).
I have to imagine it will be better. The technical issues were frustrating for sure and while they probably did affect my overall impression, my bigger disappointment was with the lackluster game play loop.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Demo open for everybody tomorrow at noon eastern, I believe.

Looking forward to trying it out. Most of the impressions I've watched have been positive right up until they say something along the lines of "...but its EA."

Last edited:

Typhares

http://blog.bioware.com/2019/01/31/hello-anthem-community/

For those of you that played last weekend, you should see significant improvement in multiple areas over last week.

While we are confident that these changes will improve this weekend’s experience for players, we’re also cognizant that we may see recurring and new issues.
[...]
Our ongoing scale testing this week has gone well. We’re confident we are ready for the load we will see. Like last weekend, we will be prepared with more server capacity than we anticipate will be needed. However, predicting player numbers – particularly for a new game like Anthem in its first open public weekend – is very difficult.
[...]

I mentioned earlier in the week that we’ve also been preparing for many weeks for our full launch. That version of the game already has a long list of things that are already fixed that did not make our demo weekends. It includes:

• Further performance Improvements
  • Additional stability fixes
  • Fixes to inscriptions showing up incorrectly
  • Fixes to inscriptions from other Javelins being chosen
  • Fixes to disappearing customization settings
  • Fixes to XP gain behavior
  • Audio improvements
  • Improvements to PC controls, including flight and aiming
  • A Social Hub: The Launch Bay
  • And a few thousand more (literally)…

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds about right.

Hopefully you don't need an SSD to play the game without FPS drops due to assets loading in real-time etc.

I played w/ it installed on an SSD and had the same problems most did. I'm pretty sure the FPS drops on PC are mostly network related.

BioWare has apparently made client-side fixes, so we'll see!

I just got a new 1440p gaming monitor, upgraded from a 5 year old 1080p TN panel. Can’t wait to see this baby in action. Hopefully I can still maintain ultra/60 most of the time

Last edited:
I know this is kinda crybaby bullshit but man I think it sucks ass that I have EA access and pc gets the full game and Xbox only gets 10 hours.

I know this is kinda crybaby bullshit but man I think it sucks ass that I have EA access and pc gets the full game and Xbox only gets 10 hours.

Yeah. At least it's platform-wide. Not really sure why EA didn't add Premier as an Xbox option. Have to imagine it will at some point.

MadYarpen

I'm downloading the demo now. Really curious what it really its. I've just started to play the division, and so far I'm enjoying this. So maybe this "loot shooter" thing is for me?

By the way, isn't it crazy th demo is 50 GB? What will be size of the full game? I need a second ssd asap, thought 1x500gb will be enough for some time...

Last edited:

sol_bad

By the way, isn't it crazy th demo is 50 GB? What will be size of the full game? I need a second ssd asap, thought 1x500gb will be enough for some time...

Yes it is insane that it is 50GB. I downloaded it last week not realising it was a stupid "VIP" demo. You'd think the Origin launcher would warn me that I can't play it. IF it did warn me, I didn't notice the warning. lol
I don't know if I can be bothered spending another 10 hours to download it again.

So we are meant to believe that it is an old build of the game and the new full release of the game is much better. Why waste resources on updating an old build that people will play for 2-3 days?

Seems fishy to me.
I have never heard of a company wasting resources on an old demo based on an old build.

You may want to do some research into demo builds. None of this seems out of the ordinary.

Xiaoki

So we are meant to believe that it is an old build of the game and the new full release of the game is much better. Why waste resources on updating an old build that people will play for 2-3 days?

Seems fishy to me.
I have never heard of a company wasting resources on an old demo based on an old build.
That article is changes and improvements for the full game, not the demo.

The only thing they are improving or fixing for the open demo is the loading bug and server stability.

They did hint at "something special" for Sunday afternoon though.

Last edited:

sol_bad

The only thing they are improving or fixing for the open demo is the loading bug and server stability.

How did I misread that?
Woops

Pantz

Place your bets - Will the Infinite Loading Bug be fixed for this weekend?

!bet - no

I'm getting the game regardless but it's not going to look good if that major bug is still there after they know it affected so many players. Given they only had a week and I didn't see it specifically mentioned in their update notes...

Best of Luck, BioWare.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

Oh ok they going to make me go side by side with the super bowl? Its on.

Hendrick's

You may want to do some research into demo builds. None of this seems out of the ordinary.
You're right. It's the same PR crap that all devs say about their betas, which always end up being pretty reflective of the end product.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

PSA: Access Basic is only 99 cents this weekend. You can get it, play 10 hours of anthem starting on the 15th, and then buy it if you like it for 10% off.
It’s a no brainer for me, especially since the demo didn’t exactly knock my socks off but did pique my interest enough.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They forgot to add the part of how long the servers will be down on the 15th and the 20th.

Devolver isn't the only one getting in on busting EA's chops, I've seen several big game directors/devs as well as other industry people knocking them for that infograph.

MadYarpen

Yes it is insane that it is 50GB. I downloaded it last week not realising it was a stupid "VIP" demo. You'd think the Origin launcher would warn me that I can't play it. IF it did warn me, I didn't notice the warning. lol
I don't know if I can be bothered spending another 10 hours to download it again.
ouch, at least I dont have that problem... 1-1.5 h and done. Had to unistall some game though.

Top Bottom