• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Demo Impressions Thread

Typhares

JxCoUZ5fGvOWyh818_Rke07IN6Aigg7FoCSRl08RA34.jpg

I have a question about primer and detonator:
Is there any benefit to applying multiple primers before detonating? In fact is it even possible?

Edit: nevermind I just read that the primer doesn't matter because the combo effect is based on the javelin detonating the target.

• Ranger Combo Bonus - Critical Target Damage: deals increased damage to the single target affected by your Combo.
  • Colossus Combo Bonus - Area of Effect Explosion: deals damage to nearby enemies around the target affected by your Combo.
  • Storm Combo Bonus - Area of Effect Spread: passes any elemental effects from the enemy hit by your Combo to nearby enemies.
  • Interceptor Combo Bonus - Aura: grants you an Aura that passes the elemental effect on the Comboed enemy to any enemies close to you.

Last edited:
Has this been posted yet? Says it was uploaded 2 hours ago

X vs Pro Head to Head

Edit: there’s a thread for it, posted about a half hour before me

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Can't seem to get into it

please update your account settings to continue

Last edited:

Typhares

Alright happy to finally be able to play unlike last weekend. Did the first mission as ranger and second one as interceptor.
I'm liking it a lot so far! The interceptor seems messy as fuck to play though, struggling to keep on target and see what's happening.

Flyinmunky

Honestly my first impression is its awful. Even the graphics cant save it (1080ti Pc)

Just comes across as boring, generic mission shoot fest. Hard pass.

Glad that everything has worked so far. I'd forgotten how satisfying the combat and flying felt, so much weight and feedback. Launching off a mortar barrage with the Colossus feels so devastating.

I really don't know if I'd enjoy this anywhere near as much without the controller feedback.

"Generic"

I see the term of choice with dimwits is back.

Last edited:

ebevan91

My frame rate is awful today.

Played on 1440p for the VIP demo and it’s pretty choppy today on 1080p.

Last edited:

Jaw1love

Banned
Exact same thing as the VIP demo. Looks like they fixed the infinite load but all the other terrible performance problems exist. Just blown away at how poorly this game plays with these average ass graphics. This could have been released late last gen or at the beginning of this gen. Have no idea what goes on during years and years of development

hollams

Gold Member
Started the demo and my OLED TV displayed a message saying Dolby Vision and just stayed black. I could hear the game in the background but the screen was still black. I had to physically power off the PC in order to get back to normal.

Same thing happened with Madden on PC and it took them about 4 weeks to fix so I guess the teams don't talk amongst themselves over at EA.

The fix is to disable HDMI Deep color so that HDR is unavailable, ugh.

Last edited:
Started the demo and my OLED TV displayed a message saying Dolby Vision and just stayed black. I could hear the game in the background but the screen was still black. I had to physically power off the PC in order to get back to normal.

Same thing happened with Madden on PC and it took them about 4 weeks to fix so I guess the teams don't talk amongst themselves over at EA.

The fix is to disable HDMI Deep color so that HDR is unavailable.

You can’t force HDR10 over Dolby?

hollams

Gold Member
You can’t force HDR10 over Dolby?

For some reason the game is sending signals to the TV that makes it think it's a Dolby Vision signal but it's really an HDR10. I don't think I can switch which HDR my TV uses, but I'll check it out when I get home.

Jaw1love

Banned
ughh, I'm starting to get so pissed off. Assassins Creed Unity on OG Xbox One looked better than this. I think I need to turn it off, as fun as the gameplay can be the technical situation is just maddening.

Verdanth

Testing this on the PRO. Framerate looks horrible in the fort Tarsis section, slighty better in gameplay. Graphics are a total letdown.

No button for running while on Tarsis, really?

Gameplay is ok, pretty standard if you ask me. Flight is cool but that was never a selling point for me.

Definitely not worth the praise it got so far.

Back to Kingdom Hearts 3.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Every game should have the option for us to choose performance over higher resolution. I don't want 4K if it means we are going to get poor performance.

kingbean

Testing this on the PRO. Framerate looks horrible in the fort Tarsis section, slighty better in gameplay. Graphics are a total letdown.

No button for running while on Tarsis, really?

Gameplay is ok, pretty standard if you ask me. Flight is cool but that was never a selling point for me.

Definitely not worth the praise it got so far.

Back to Kingdom Hearts 3.

The full game will have running in Tarsis.

Game seems fun with a group of friends, solo play seems somewhat boring.

Ogbert

My frame rate is awful today.

Played on 1440p for the VIP demo and it’s pretty choppy today on 1080p.

Hmm. That's odd.

I'm actually finding the opposite. 4k with a steady 100fps on my 2070.

Seems to be performing much better.

Every game should have the option for us to choose performance over higher resolution. I don't want 4K if it means we are going to get poor performance.

When Pro and X became official things I always assumed this was how it was going to be (options for every game).

Kind of disappointing

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
When Pro and X became official things I always assumed this was how it was going to be (options for every game).

Kind of disappointing
Thats biggest reason I bought Pro. 1080p still looks pretty good, I'm more than happy playing games on 1080p with higher FPS.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I tried playing this on my own in Freeplay, and you just run out of ammo on your own. Nice of the devs to balance the game for single players

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I tried playing this on my own in Freeplay, and you just run out of ammo on your own. Nice of the devs to balance the game for single players

What guns are you using. Please don't say the Devastator Sniper. It has 5 shots and explosive rounds...

McCheese

So one week and a 70mb patch later and this is still running like shit, buggy and crashing.

Folks saying it's an old build need to remember that they got a lot of shit last week and DID patch it yesterday, so anything not fixed likely hasn't been fixed in any other branches yet either. It needs to be in a much better state when it launches, and they needed this final demo to demonstrate that state.

Last edited:

Stuart360

What guns are you using. Please don't say the Devastator Sniper. It has 5 shots and explosive rounds...
Well i just started so its the standard javelin and machine gun. The enemies are just as bullet spongy on your own as they are with a team, so i was just running out of ammo and unable to finish a couple of missions. I had to take out one of those big enemies with the big shield by just using special abilities, it took ages lol.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well i just started so its the standard javelin and machine gun. The enemies are just as bullet spongy on your own as they are with a team, so i was just running out of ammo and unable to finish a couple of missions. I had to take out one of those big enemies with the big shield by just using special abilities, it took ages lol.

Interesting. I didn't play much freeplay, but when I did...I was level 15. It is kinda strange that they would make the enemies so spongy that a beginning player couldn't didn't have the ammo to complete a world event. Wait...were you doing a world event? Also are you picking up the little green orbs? It gives ammo. I think once you get more powerful and some perks under your belt things will even out. You're right though, Bioware clearly wanted to point people towards co-op.

Stuart360

Interesting. I didn't play much freeplay, but when I did...I was level 15. It is kinda strange that they would make the enemies so spongy that a beginning player couldn't didn't have the ammo to complete a world event. Wait...were you doing a world event? Also are you picking up the little green orbs? It gives ammo. I think once you get more powerful and some perks under your belt things will even out. You're right though, Bioware clearly wanted to point people towards co-op.
I dont know if it was a world event, it was a 3 stage wave misson, with the big guy being in the final wave. Yeah i was picking up all the orbs that were coming out of the enemies. I'm going to try one of those yellow actual missions and see if its the same.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Holy shit. What a disaster. Optimization for PC platform is nonexistant, its more like a slideshow especialy when you in combat (played in 1440P Max without motion blur and post-processing set to low). And OMG loading screens! Whey they're so many of them and why they're loading so long!? UI is shit too and completely unintuitive and unresponsive with menus apon menus of options and settings. I can't play this shite in its current state and after Destiny 2 which is a lot more polished and comfortable game to play. They need at least 6... maybe even 8 more months of polish and optimization before releasing this abomination on PC cuz otherwise it will bomb.

P.S. In case anyone wondering I've 4790K @4.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM and AUROS 1080Ti.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Holy shit. What a disaster. Optimization for PC platform is nonexistant, its more like a slideshow especialy when you in combat (played in 1440P Max without motion blur and post-processing set to low). And OMG loading screens! Whey they're so many of them and why they're loading so long!? UI is shit too and completely unintuitive and unresponsive with menus apon menus of options and settings. I can't play this shite in its current state and after Destiny 2 which is a lot more polished and comfortable game to play. They need at least 6... maybe even 8 more months of polish and optimization before releasing this abomination on PC cuz otherwise it will bomb.

It doesn't help that the game uses double buffered vsync, so my framerate was going form 60-30-60 constantly. I ended up locking the framerate to 30fps.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I dont know if it was a world event, it was a 3 stage wave misson, with the big guy being in the final wave. Yeah i was picking up all the orbs that were coming out of the enemies. I'm going to try one of those yellow actual missions and see if its the same.

I'm not familiar with the mission, but that's a bummer. You may have been in a higher lvled area. Bioware did mention you can explore the whole map in the beginning but it doesn't mean you should be there. Sounds like it's possible you wandered into some higher lvl parts of the game.

I'm curious...last weeks "demo" was 6 weeks old. Is this build also 6 weeks old? I mean we have 2 weeks...how much can they fix in this amount of time? Loading screens are insane. Didn't mind the UI, though it was weird choosing a mission at first, just shitty design really.

The trash mobs are really good for ammo it seems.

Even in areas where you have to dump ammo on an elite mob, there are usually trash spawning nearby.

As for PC performance, yeah kind of disappointed with the issues that are still present. Tarsis especially... WTF?

I'm not familiar with the mission, but that's a bummer. You may have been in a higher lvled area. Bioware did mention you can explore the whole map in the beginning but it doesn't mean you should be there. Sounds like it's possible you wandered into some higher lvl parts of the game.

I'm curious...last weeks "demo" was 6 weeks old. Is this build also 6 weeks old? I mean we have 2 weeks...how much can they fix in this amount of time? Loading screens are insane. Didn't mind the UI, though it was weird choosing a mission at first, just shitty design really.

It is. The changes were client-side. Oops. Meant server-side.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

Glad there was a demo. Definitely won't be buying this.

Everything feels crap. I don't know how they've gone from the great feeling combat and movement in andromeda to this.

And it looks really budget.

I guess this is goodbye bioware

RedVIper

Banned
I know there's an obvious comparison, but they feel different in a significant way.

Well batlefield and cod are diferent in "a significant way", I still compare them to each other.
Right now warframe not only seems like the better game, it's also free.

waylo

Banned

Yup, it runs horribly above 1080p. Saw people with 8700k's and 2080's struggling to maintain 60FPS at 1440p.

Game is a mess.

Well batlefield and cod are diferent in "a significant way", I still compare them to each other.
Right now warframe not only seems like the better game, it's also free.

Warframe is the better game right now. Not arguing that. Borderlands is still king. But I've played a lot of Warframe too and enjoy it.

Top Bottom