• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Demo Impressions Thread

Glad there was a demo. Definitely won't be buying this.

Everything feels crap. I don't know how they've gone from the great feeling combat and movement in andromeda to this.

And it looks really budget.

I guess this is goodbye bioware

I'm going to leave the looks of the game alone (I think you're wrong, but hey), but you have got to be joking about the combat. Andromeda feels janked, weightless and just plain shit compared to this. And movement, really?

Ogbert

It’s just, so, flat.

The mobs feel like grunts out of Titanfall multiplayer. Utterly pointless. I kind of dig the flying although it’s a little cumbersome.

So dull. It doesn’t feel like a game that people loved making. Rather a cynical collection of activities to encourage transactions.

Toe-Knee

I'm going to leave the looks of the game alone (I think you're wrong, but hey), but you have got to be joking about the combat. Andromeda feels janked, weightless and just plain shit compared to this. And movement, really?
I liked the mobility in andromeda. In this it feels like you don't really have control.

And the shooting lacks impact, feedback and feels really floaty.

Doesn't feel anywhere near as good as other loot shooters like destiny and even the division.

Last edited:

shinkai

My impressions of the game. Played on PS4

+ Flight system works really well. Games that implement a flight system should copy this formula. Hoping DBZ ARPG is this good.
+ Gunplay is fine works like any other shooter no real issues with it

- Open world seems very restricted. Kept going into areas that were "outside" of the mission zone
- Lots of loading screens. You get a loading screen when you enter a dungeon, you get a loading screen when you get automatically teleported to your teammates for being outside the missions zone, you get a loading screen when you want to edit your loadout/Javelin
- Constant texture pop in when you are in the hub. You can see the texture on the NPCs load in while you are talking with them
- Game seems to run at 30 FPS in the open areas and then goes into 60 FPS when you go into a dungeon. FPS also dips in the open areas as well
- Pressing and holding square to change weapons will take some getting use to since triangle is mapped to melee attack
- Bosses are basically bullet sponges with a lot of health boring to fight
- Color palette for the Javelins is terrible
- Also you can't sprint in the hub for some reason. Very odd choice

-- Game is a huge bullshot when compared to it's E3 2017 gameplay reveal. Gone are the seamless transition from the hub to the open world. Instead its like Destiny where you accept a mission go to a prep screen and load into an area for the mission

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I agree with a lot of these impressions. I generally liked the interactions with Mattias. I felt his acting was done well. I really wish your character could be created and seen during the cutscenes like Mass Effect.

I really wanted to like the game but everything just feels soulless to me.
I'm holding out hope that there is a good story in here somewhere. I feel like I'm going to be disappointed.

I liked the mobility in andromeda. In this it feels like you don't really have control.

Doesn't feel anywhere near as good as other loot shooters like destiny and even the division.

I agree with this. I don't feel the guns I've seen have enough unique about them to say that one is going to carry me through the campaign. It's early but I'm really hoping for some weapons that really stand out. The shooting feels like a more responsive Andromeda.

Some abilities in the games are simply either lacks impact are generally ineffective for majority of situations. Like they have a thunder ball based attack for the storm that can bounce off walls...............why? They have guns that do more dps than your ultimate ability. At lvl 15, my Devastator sniper rifle hit for 11k on a crit spot, My colossus would do 9k for every shot. That's 3 shots at 9k for colossus ultimate vs 5 shots at 11k from your sniper.

Definitely need some balance.

Dude, the difference is that Anthem HAS mobility. Between running, flying, hovering, hover dashing (and that's not even a mobile class of javelin), Andromeda seems pretty damned limited.

I'll agree that I think the enemies are far from responsive, but then neither were they in Andromeda. At least this time, weapons and attacks feel properly powerful.

It’s just, so, flat.

The mobs feel like grunts out of Titanfall multiplayer. Utterly pointless. I kind of dig the flying although it’s a little cumbersome.

So dull. It doesn’t feel like a game that people loved making. Rather a cynical collection of activities to encourage transactions.

Game always seemed rushed to me, made specifically to cash in on hype and microtransactions.

Ogbert

Now, what would be exciting is if this was a Boba Fett Star Wars RPG. The mechs feel like cool bounty hunters.

A Star Wars looter.... Oh, wait. We have it. It's called Destiny. :messenger_winking_tongue:

But, yeah. I would definitely play a Star Wars looter shooter.

Nydus

Gold Member
My performance seemed fine. I played on ultra without motion blur and post processing on medium.

Fps where between 60 and 90 most of the time. I don't really notice dips below 60 cause of gsync.

And I still think that either the lighting is bugged or they made something wrong. Today at first it looked like a PS3 game like it does sometimes and 5 minutes later, at the same place, (just outside of Tarsis) the sun was high in the sky and the game looked just stunning. I don't know what's up with that...

And lastly I had a lot of fun again. The game can be really hard and challenging when your team sucks. So a sudden spike in difficulty is a common thing when your teammates die like flys :D

Oh and a lot of things people complain about are patched and fixed IN THE MAIN GAME. they updated the demo just so far to prevent the loading bug, which was game breaking. Why on earth would they waste any more resources on a demo build? They're thankful and give honest feedback what went wrong in the demo and how it's getting fixed.

Maybe they should have called it beta :p

Last edited:

Jaw1love

Banned
My performance seemed fine. I played on ultra without motion blur and post processing on medium.

Fps where between 60 and 90 most of the time. I don't really notice dips below 60 cause of gsync.

And I still think that either the lighting is bugged or they made something wrong. Today at first it looked like a PS3 game like it does sometimes and 5 minutes later, at the same place, (just outside of Tarsis) the sun was high in the sky and the game looked just stunning. I don't know what's up with that...

And lastly I had a lot of fun again. The game can be really hard and challenging when your team sucks. So a sudden spike in difficulty is a common thing when your teammates die like flys :D

Oh and a lot of things people complain about are patched and fixed IN THE MAIN GAME. they updated the demo just so far to prevent the loading bug, which was game breaking. Why on earth would they waste any more resources on a demo build? They're thankful and give honest feedback what went wrong in the demo and how it's getting fixed.

Maybe they should have called it beta :p
yeah it really does seem like the lighting one of the biggest culprits of the bad graphics. Like at times everything is just flat and gross and looks seriously last gen. But like you said, at other times depending on the lighting it can look really dope.

Freeman76

This is a lot better even than last weekends demo performance wise. I like the gameplay, environments and loot, looking forward to the full release to see how this plays out, could be a banger.

That’s 37 tedious minutes of my life I’ll never get back....

Very underwhelming in every aspect.

I’m worried for BioWare.

TitusTroy

what exactly does choosing Quickplay do?...I tried it and I don't get the difference between choosing Quickplay versus just choosing a 'normal' mission and getting 3 random players...anyone know what exactly Quickplay does different?

MadYarpen

Game crashed after I finished the first expedition. Wonder if the story managed to progress.

I hoped for a better performance, often had 45 FPS.

Maybe I'm missing something and I will surely play more, but I expected more from the combat. But I'll wait with my opinion.

What I can say already i that flying with KB/M is terrible. And the main hub is also awful. Rally dead place. Everyone is just standing there. Like they forgot to make it a living place and then it was to late...

DryvBy

This freaking game SUCKS! I'm usually not this hard on a game but it's the most soulless, boring game I've played in a very long time. Nothing was exciting. Let me start my list like a boss.

Pros:
-Customization, I guess. Warframe has more options but I guess it's good Anthem does too.
-Gunplay isn't that bad and I love the specials. I think that's the only fun I had was using a rocket special on several different enemies.

Cons:
-The mission designs are a huge step back from Destiny 1. You know how a big criticism of Destiny 1 was how the missions were basically hit a button, guard it, then go to the next area to do the same? It's a bunch of that from the 2 missions I could stomach. And it's somehow even LESS interesting. The first mission has you stand in a circle while you kill clueless enemies, go to a loading area to scan something, load back into the main world, stand in a couple of other circles killing enemies, go back to the loading area to finish a puzzle. Why are we going backwards from Destiny 1??
-The enemies are incredible bland and boring. On the screen, there's a bunch of red dots that points out what is the enemy. You just look for those and shoot under the dots. Otherwise, the bland looking fighters aren't even stand out enough to look like enemies.
-The main world you explore is flat out boring. There's nothing in it that makes me want to explore it. It's just a bunch of jungle that feels like it was generated in an engine then given the thumbs up to be a world to explore. On top of that, caves that you go to for your mission require you to load into the area and then load back out. it's not seamless and just a boring mess.
-Flying was suppose to be great. The sense of speed is missing. I'm pretty confident the Doomguy runs faster in Doom 1 than you fly in this game. And you're back on the ground from overheating in seconds so it's a pointless feature.
-Unless I'm missing something, you can't look at or change out loot while on a mission. You have to finish then go on. And visually, the loot doesn't stand out so I have no idea when anything drops. It's as glowing as the ammo and armor/health pick ups.
-Graphics are definitely downgraded and I ran into spots where the textures wouldn't even load. I was also missing shadows in the 2nd world, which I found pretty odd. Framerate isn't as bad as people said (there's a positive) and it's playable.

If I had to give a bottom line, this feels like a F2P game that was created to make money from cosmetics. There's nothing rewarding about the missions to me and if I'm going to play a loot based shooter, I have superior games like Destiny, The Division, and Warframe. No thanks, BioWare/EA.

Pantz

Probably my imagination but performance seems slightly worse than last week on Xbox One X. Not any better in any case. Not good if it launches like this.

Sybrix

Been playing on PC, its meh.

-The flying around is kinda cool
-Looks pretty
-Guns and other weps feel good to shoot and use
-The enemies are bullet sponges
-The AI is stupid, you can stand or hover and empty clips into one enemy with very little risk
-The only time you get killed is when there are 20+ enemies on screen

Lots of Destiny vibes, will get boring very quick

bilderberg

This game looks so flat.
lNOBPub.png

Ultra settings my ass. I'm playing on a pc, why does the vegetation have to look like ass? Their's so many low res assets you'd swear they just haven't loaded in yet. Some gifs I made of this buggy piece of shit

QA!? Hello?

Jaw1love

Banned
This game looks so flat.
lNOBPub.png

Ultra settings my ass. I'm playing on a pc, why does the vegetation have to look like ass? Their's so many low res assets you'd swear they just haven't loaded in yet. Some gifs I made of this buggy piece of shit

QA!? Hello?
yeah, looks like absolute poop

RedVIper

Banned
This game looks so flat.
lNOBPub.png

QA!? Hello?

Looks like the draw distance is completely fucked.

Why do you have a 72fps cap.

Game played really good for me so far.

The amount of variety in how you can play each Javeline is insane.....the difference in how each Javeline plays is kinda crazy also.

I didn’t have the never ending load screen this time and it seemed like the game loaded much smoother.

I don’t even know what too compare this game too...... it almost feels like a World of Warcraft game in a Ironman.
suit.

I got to the point that I hardly even used my guns and I was destroying everything.

I’m going to see a time when you are going to want too kick people out of your group because they only use their guns.

Making combos is so addicting....hearing that noise.....they got that shit spot on.

Can’t wait for this to release.

Jaw1love

Banned
final impressions.

played the VIP demo and now this open demo on Xbox One X and PC.

While it's fun at times and there are some bad ass moments when the music swells and you're firing off your ultimate ability and tons of stuff is exploding everything else about this game just feels blah.

The first person fort segments feel like they should be in a completely different game. And the performance, 20-15fps this close to launch. Yikes.

The open world just feels so poorly designed. There's nothing to it, just some water, some green rocks and some grey rocks. Everything is laid out just totally randomly and there's no sense of exploration at all. Games like RDR2 and AC Odyssey are so packed with different environments and locales and not just points on a map either, but you turn a corner and come around out of a gully and always find cool new vistas and little locations. There is none of that in this game. It's hard to really even call this an open world game. Even in the division, as bare as that world was you would still stumble across interesting vistas and tableaus.
And the scale here feels so out of wack, it feels stuck between this weird sort of designed for flying vs designed for walking but neither really seems to work from an environmental standpoint. The E3 demo felt so grand and large, but here it's just a bizarre feeling of not really being in the game world.

Combat like I said can be fun but it gets old pretty easily.

Graphics, I honestly think they are terrible. I don't know what some people are seeing. This feels like a 2nd rate F2P game or something that could honestly run on mobile, and considering how poorly it runs across all platforms I just have no idea how they went from that E3 demo to this. Maybe after RDR2 nothing will be as good.

At this point I can't see how the full game will have enough new content to keep anyone playing. Every mission is the same. The loot drops are boring. It's not like the Division where the challenge of taking down a super tough boss or raid feels rewarding, here it's just like, blah, generic assault rifle number 2. There's no strategy when teaming up with other players because the gameplay isn't really designed for strategy like a cover shooter like the division is, so it's all just everyone button mashing until everything is dead.

super bummed, was really thinking this game would be great.

Graphics, I honestly think they are terrible. I don't know what some people are seeing. This feels like a 2nd rate F2P game or something that could honestly run on mobile, and considering how poorly it runs across all platforms I just have no idea how they went from that E3 demo to this. Maybe after RDR2 nothing will be as good.

It’s just hard for me to understand this.

I played on my new 1440p monitor and was getting a steady 45-50 FPS and while it isn’t the prettiest game ever it’s a solid 8 graphically, in my eyes

Feels like I’m playing a different game, or my eyes are lying to me?

Last edited:

Jaw1love

Banned
It’s just here for me to understand this.

I played on my new 1440p monitor and was getting a steady 45-50 FPS and while it isn’t the prettiest game ever it’s a solid 8 graphically, in my eyes

Feels like I’m playing a different game, or my eyes are lying to me?
I don't know maybe it's just me, but after Red Dead Redemption 2 I look at this game and it's just ugly as all hell. Flat and boring. Texture's are super bland, geometry is just weird. The lighting is all over the place.
Seriously feels like something from the beginning of this console generation to me

also there are like no physics systems at all. Bad guys just fall over and disappear, no debris of any kind anywhere. I don't know.

Last edited:
So I got to the starting 1st person area and got the mission and then went to launch. Been stuck in loading screen for like 15 minutes. Xbox One X here. We still having issues?

Edit: NM another game was DLIng in background and ripping my bandwidth to shit. Quit and got in. Will post thoughts later.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Just some quick, random rambling.....

Well I've tried to launch free roam and stronghold on PC and keep getting kicked back to the log in screen. Got frustrated and alt'd out.

There's no doubt that the "definitive" version will be on PC but I do agree that even then the graphics have been heavily downgraded.

The console versions are a complete disaster. I seriously doubt Bioware will get performance steady on the consoles. They are claiming
that the home console retail release will have a 30fps stable framerate.

Whomever was in charge of the color pallet needs to go back and make the fauna brighter green. The way it looks now is just a dreary, very dark
green. I don't know. Watching the first "reveal" trailer and the colors/lighting shown off are IMO nowhere to be found in the demo. There
*are* some very nice "set pieces" but I don't know. Something just isn't clicking with me and the presentation of the game having played quite
a bit of it now.

If the rumors of the game having no raids and only a new daily mission for players each day.....the game will be DOA. Bioware had better be holding
a ton back.

Man, I just don't know. I think the game is in trouble.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So meta 60-70%? I have some bad vibes from reading everyone's impressions. Then there's those posts about loving every minute of it.

I think they could have done better had they not done a demo. Then again that's basically telling people to trust them again.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Wow that demo was awful. Feels so soulless and formulaic. Go out, find the waypoint, fend off a wave of brain dead enemies, fight bullet sponge boss, sort through a bunch of (mostly worthless) loot, repeat. All while someone remotely narrates to you via radio.

So bland and boring. I’m sure this game was designed by marketing folks who carefully analyzed the market to figure out what makes the most money.

I was really excited for this game but I’m probably going to pass.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Combat is a lot of fun if you like PvE. Suit customization/loadout is cool. Environments are mostly nice.

Everything else has me scratching my head. First person crawl around a city where you can't really do anything interesting? The worst swimming controls since... well, since forever. Got one infinite load, restarted, let me right into the level. Had one crash to desktop. Lost sound entirely midway through one match. Bit of lag teleporting now and then. Gun variety horrible, maybe that is just because of low level. At least in Destiny you can get interesting weapons at all levels.

I played Ranger the entire time today. Unlocked Colossus. Every match had 2-3 Storms in it. As a ranger a large part of my job was flying around the map picking up Storms that got in a hair too deep. I swear one round I had 20 revives. Don't face tank multiple turrets as a storm FFS.

tldr; I bought it. Looter/shooter to play until The Division 2 hits.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Just some quick, random rambling.....

Well I've tried to launch free roam and stronghold on PC and keep getting kicked back to the log in screen. Got frustrated and alt'd out.

There's no doubt that the "definitive" version will be on PC but I do agree that even then the graphics have been heavily downgraded.

The console versions are a complete disaster. I seriously doubt Bioware will get performance steady on the consoles. They are claiming
that the home console retail release will have a 30fps stable framerate.

Whomever was in charge of the color pallet needs to go back and make the fauna brighter green. The way it looks now is just a dreary, very dark
green. I don't know. Watching the first "reveal" trailer and the colors/lighting shown off are IMO nowhere to be found in the demo. There
*are* some very nice "set pieces" but I don't know. Something just isn't clicking with me and the presentation of the game having played quite
a bit of it now.

If the rumors of the game having no raids and only a new daily mission for players each day.....the game will be DOA. Bioware had better be holding
a ton back.

Man, I just don't know. I think the game is in trouble.

The framerate on PS4 Pro was actually good imo. I didn't run into major dips that I was aware of.

So I wasn’t really digging the introduction mission. It seemed like the AI was stupid aggressive and the mission boundaries really cramp the open feeling the game play demands.

The free play is where I started to like the game more and more. The first person mode at the Fort is rubbish. Pure trash.

The gameplay really looks like it will fuck over solo players so i am hoping it’s just the demo.

The gunplay is serviceable but clearly the powers and combos are the mechanics that are supposed to have gravitas. The flight mechanics are OK but not as great as I hoped.

I honestly think at one point this was a Mass Effect game and EA saw Destiny and got penis envy.

There is something that feels off about this game and I am hoping that it wasn’t built for micro transactions. But it’s EA and well...

I am on the fence about buying it day one. It played fine on my Xbox One X. No FPS issues at all. The only thing that felt slow was loading screens and there are lots of them.

So meta 60-70%? I have some bad vibes from reading everyone's impressions. Then there's those posts about loving every minute of it.

I think they could have done better had they not done a demo. Then again that's basically telling people to trust them again.

Probably 65 on the nose, just based on the buzz right now

Shmunter

Finally gave it a whirl...

PS4 Pro 4K mode
- Texture pop in’s and shimmer abound
- Gfx ok for a 2013 release but worst gfx I’ve seen 2018/2019 no doubt
- Seems rough and unpolished in every aspect
- The sudden loading when moving between areas is an affront to modern game design
- Gameplay seems servicible, but like any game you have to learn the mechanics for proper appreciation

Yet to try the 1080p/60fps-ish mode.

What on earth happened? And why are some outlets & people praising the awful presentation??

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What on earth happened? And why are some outlets & people praising the awful presentation??
EA happened. As for the outlets praising this average at best game, it's either they are still blind from hype or they are straight schilling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom